Help with equipment

PDA

broham
March 25, 2008, 11:17 PM
I have been researching reloading for months and months now and am ready to dive into it.I would like all your thoughts on the tools I would like to buy.A forster coax or a rock chucker.The coax is about $60 more due to the fact that you don't need shell holders.I thought about the rcbs hand primer with a universal shell plate.Rcbs or the redding 1400 trimmer,both use shell holders that come with it.As far as powder measures go I thought about the rcbs competition sinse it comes with a rifle and pistol chamber and micromiters for each and baffle.An upgraded uniflow of the same accesories would cost a bit more I think.What are the pros and cons of hornadys comperator and rcbs mic.Rcbs seems to make a nice scale,505 is what I was thinking.Dies I believe would be a mixture of brands.I have heard great things about lee,forster,redding and rcbs.Does one company make better calipers than another or are they all made from one company with different names on them.I am a pretty good shopper and priced most everything.The dies,scales,powder throwers,calipers and trimmers are all pretty close to one another from brand to brand,exept the press.Sorry for the long post I just have so many questions and I know you guys have lots of experience with this stuff.I will be loading mostly rifle now,223,308,30-30,and 7mm, and handgun soon on a different press.Thank you all very much.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help with equipment" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BigJakeJ1s
March 26, 2008, 12:45 AM
+1 on the Co-Ax, the best designed/built single stage press available, at least from a major manufacturer.

I use the Lee trimmers, but I'm looking at a Wilson or Forster lathe type trimmer. Leaning toward the Wilson.

RCBS universal hand primer works great. I like it better than the Lee autoprime I started with.

Andy

jmabbott888@aol.com
March 26, 2008, 02:37 AM
I've got a mix of brands for everything, mostly Lee & RCBS but also Lyman, Redding, C&H, Wilson etc. Not sure how your finances are, but if your not sure if you will want to keep reloading, tight on money or just want a good deal, I'd recommend the Lee stuff. Even the cheap "reloader" C type press will form 308 to 243 or 250 Sav, their dies are great & very reasonable priced. As far as calipers go, I have 4 or 5 sets from Starrets ( I think thats the name lol) to the harbor freight specials (not the plastic ones) & they all work fine, just treat them like the precision instrument they are. Above all though, please be save reloading

If you enjoyed reading about "Help with equipment" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!