Scandium frame weapons; I was wondering just how many here
still carry the S&W model 37, 37-1, or 37-2? I know that most folks
here are going to chime in and say NO; since the introduction of the
442-637-638-642 or the 340PD of fine weaponary. I'm in the same
boat with most here, as I own a matte finished S&W model 37-2;
but I opt to carry the 442/642. I can remember a time when the
original model 37 was a highly sought after firearm; and I was
just wondering if it has indeed lost some of its luster~? :scrutiny: :uhoh:

If you enjoyed reading about "The Smith & Wesson Airweight Model 37" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Old Dog
March 26, 2008, 12:18 AM
The 37 losing its luster? Never.

I've got a minty 37 no-dash (1979 production) that is light-years better than the silly 637s with the lock and that crappy peeling clear-coat. No MIM, firing pin on the hammer, perfect bluing and classic stocks. Makes the new Airweights look like toys.

Johnny Guest
March 26, 2008, 01:19 AM
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=75262&stc=1&d=1206508200
I carry an older Model 37 no dash in a De Santis Nemesis pocket holster almost every day.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=75263&stc=1&d=1206508449
The other days, it's a Colt Agent (same general type) or a .45.

I like me some o' them lil' aluminimumm resolvers. ;)

Johnny

nj.piney
March 26, 2008, 01:47 AM
1 carry a 37 always,the hammer gives you the single action option for accuracy.

sm
March 26, 2008, 01:48 AM
Gimmee the old stuff!
Old Dog and
Mr. Guest summed it up.

Gee, one I use is set up just like the Mr. Guest Pictured.
I use old style ctgs - 158 grainers as the gun put 'em where I aim it.

Keep telling folks I wuz raised right! *snort*

gall-durned whippersnappers, with all this new and fangled... not sure whut to do wit 'em...*wink*

BigG
March 26, 2008, 07:38 AM
I think most of the hammer type j frames have lost their luster in my eyes since I realized they could be dispensed with and a centennial used in its place.

ravencon
March 26, 2008, 10:48 AM
A M37 with a bobbed hammer is the gun I pocket carry the most.

It is has lots of surface wear and is pretty ugly. I own a M340Sc and a M36. I carry those on occasion. But, for a day to day pocket gun I like the M37.

St.Pete7
February 3, 2009, 10:17 AM
This is my first day as a member of THR, but I have viewed a number of posts is the past and I'm very impressed with the knowledge that various memebers possess.
Now, getting back to the Model 37, I carry it in my vest pocket every day and have been for years. I've tried a number of newer models, but they just don't seem to have the same "feel" to them compared to my little 37 Airweight.
I'd like to know someone's opinion on the most comfortable maker of IPH so I can keep it concealed when it too darn hot out to wear a vest.
Thanks, St. Pete7

Gary A
February 3, 2009, 10:31 AM
As Ravencon said, A M37 with a bobbed hammeris just the ticket and my personal choice and favorite.

Landric
February 3, 2009, 11:59 AM
This 37-2 DAO is my constant companion. Its generally a BUG, not a primary, but I don't leave the house without it. I think its just as good as a Centennial or Bodyguard, and much nicer than the current production versions of either.

The finish is well worn from constant carry, but it always does its job. It actually looks better in the pic than it does in real life. Interesting.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c85/Landric/DSCF3013.jpg

Here it is with one of my usual off-duty primaries:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c85/Landric/DSCF3003.jpg

1KPerDay
February 3, 2009, 12:07 PM
I'd like to know someone's opinion on the most comfortable maker of IPH so I can keep it concealed when it too darn hot out to wear a vest.
Have you tried a pocket holster? Mine works wonderfully in that regard.

panther22
February 3, 2009, 12:36 PM
Local shop just traded for a 37, no dash. It looks like new, no drag line, clean as a whistle. Asking $375 for it. Now you guys got me all worked up!

saltydog452
February 3, 2009, 03:24 PM
Mr. Guest does have a way with words...I'm still grinning and have a giggle in my belly.

Johnny, I likes them 'resolvers' also.

salty

XavierBreath
February 3, 2009, 03:33 PM
I'm considering acquiring a three inch Model 37 at this time...... fairly clean, a bit of muzzle wear.... $425 asking price. I might go $350.

Dienekes
February 3, 2009, 06:58 PM
Gave my wife a M37 over 30 years ago, dehorned it along the way and put on a set of Spegel boot grips. It has a LOT of finish wear on it but she still shoots it very well. Light enough and also enough recoil to where anything lighter just doesn't make a lot of sense--particularly for the price differential.

I like my 442 a little better but otherwise the same thinking applies to it.

A 3" M37 would be a winner.

skoro
February 3, 2009, 08:16 PM
I have a 1959 Model 37-no dash that's in really fine shape. A real good shooter and a fun plinker, too. I haven't used it for carry because I'd like to keep the finish nice. I've offered it to my GF to keep in the console of her car, but she's "afraid" of it, even though she's fired it on more than a couple of occasions anddone well with it.

Women... :rolleyes:

owlhoot
February 3, 2009, 11:27 PM
Lost their luster, indeed. Nay, they have incresed in luster. Who would want a new one if he could have an old one. Granted, I don't practice with +P, but I carry it with +p. And it can do anything the newer guns can do, only more gracefully and handsomely.

2nd 41
February 6, 2009, 09:02 PM
I carried a 37 for 25 years in my place of business. Closed the business in 2005...gave it (legally transfered) to a friend. Not sorry I did ...but I'm looking to buy a 642 soon. The old story....should have kept it.

S&Wfan
February 6, 2009, 09:34 PM
Lost their luster? Hardly! The M37 is a fine a weapon today as it ever was.

An M37 is the weapon of choice for BOTH my wife and myself.

Her's is a 3" square butt from 1971 . . . and you should see how well she shoots it?

Mine is a snubbie version, also made in '71 and it is my "always" on me gun, carried in an Uncle Mike's #3 pocket holster. Mine shoots extremely well too!

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/363/363373/folders/282194/2328567IMG0121e.jpg

Lots of handguns have been "invented" since this classic hit the streets decades ago, but none do the full CCW role as well as those lightweight . . . err . . . "Airweight" aluminum-framed J-frames. I like the hammerless Centennial types, AND the humpback "Bodyguards too . . . but the M37 is our favorite type.

T.

PS: For waist holster carry, the steel-framed M36 is also a fantastic weapon! I legally carried it last Friday night to dinner in a downtown restaurant . . . over my very reliable Kimber Ultra CDP .45.

Oh yeah . . . and this sweet little nickle-plated tackdriver, was made around 1962-64. Great guns NEVER, ever go out of style! The wonderful Mitch Rosen holster also makes this a favorite carry piece, due to how wonderful it fits and carries the gun.

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/363/363373/folders/282194/2383025MitchRosenholster.jpg

kendradad
February 6, 2009, 09:39 PM
Have an old Model 37 square butt made in 1982. Still looks brand new, carry almost every day. I have pretty big hands (can easily palm a basket ball), recently put a pair of Pachmayer (sp?), presentation grips on this little jewel, shoots like a dream.

You're welcome to your new stuff, I prefer the old reliable given a choice. :D

Bentonville
February 7, 2009, 06:44 AM
Last Fall I purchased a newly manufactured, no-lock +P rated Model 37 Airweight with bobbed hammer and I really love it for pocket carry. Check out this thread on Smith-Wesson forum. http://smith-wessonforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/530103904/m/1041066313?r=2631071613#2631071613

ironvic
February 24, 2010, 07:45 PM
Funny I should find this thread today. Just came across a Model 37 at the local gun counter. The little revolver has holster wear, I'd say about 90% finish, pretty tight and slick as snot, and its been shot a lot. It has nice diamond grips original to the gun and a brass Tyler T-Grip. I do have a new Model 642, but I found a problem when I cleaned it prior to using it, the cylinder holes lock up about 1/32" to the left of the forcing cone on all five. So now it's going back to S&W for repair right off the bat.

To me, the 642 is a tool, , don't love it or hate it is just what it is, but that 37 and my "new/old" Model 60 no dash are sweet little honey cakes. BTW, I paid way too much for the Model 60 at 345 bucks because I found on cleaning the internals that the cylinder lock spring is sprung. That'll be my S&W "learning to gunsmith gun." Around here old Smith snubbies are pretty rare, so at least I have it. If the 37 is still there tomorrow, I'll buy it. At $270, how can I pass it up?

OldCavSoldier
February 24, 2010, 08:06 PM
I have a nickle plated S&W M37 no dash that I purchased "gently used" in the late 1970s. It is one of my favorite J-frame snubbies. Action "smoother than the skin on Martha's butt." Shoots exactly where I want it to...every time!!!

jad0110
February 24, 2010, 09:37 PM
I'm not a huge J Frame fan. I have a 642 that serves it's purpose quite well as a dedicated pocket carry gun. And I do like it quite a bit. But my big hands prefer K Frames and larger guns for belt carry.

However, I still may pick up a Model 37 one day, if the price is right. Might be a great gun to pass on to my boy one day.

aHFo3
February 24, 2010, 11:21 PM
I would love to find a steel or aluminum J frame with a real blued finish. I have a 442 and a 360 that are great guns, but I prefer the blued guns.

BTW "smoother than the skin on Martha's butt."

Who is Martha?

heeler
February 25, 2010, 08:01 AM
I recently bought a pinned barrel model 37 and have considered having the hammer bobbed after I receive my CHL.
Not sure what a decent gunsmith would charge for that to be done.

As a matter of fact I do my qualifying CHL shooting this very night.
But I will be using my new Diamondback 380 for that because in Texas if you qualify using a revolver you cannot carry a semi-auto but if you qualify using the semi you can carry either.
My question to you guys that carry pretty much daily with one of these is how comfortable is it to carry vs a slim pocket 380?
Carrying mine around the house in my front pocket unholstered seems a tad bulky.

I guess I fall in the camp of the old guys that thinks it's a much better looking pistol than the newer generation Smiths.
Although I realize the new ones are +P rated.
So I just bought some non +p Buffalo Bore 158 gr. LSWCHP to up the ante.

Nathanael_Greene
February 25, 2010, 08:14 AM
My question to you guys that carry pretty much daily with one of these is how comfortable is it to carry vs a slim pocket 380?
Carrying mine around the house in my front pocket unholstered seems a tad bulky.

A pocket holster will help reduce the sense of bulkiness by keeping the Airweight from flopping around. Mine is quite comfortable in a pocket holster.

camsdaddy
February 25, 2010, 02:19 PM
I purchased it blued humback cousin this morning a no dash model 38. I cant wait to shoot enough to carry it.

Publius1688
February 25, 2010, 10:12 PM
Gave my beloved old 37-2 to my mom when she semi-retired out to New Mexico. (If you see a gray haired ecologist looking at wildflowers around Taos, watch out--she's packin). Have a 642 now, and it's a great pistol, but it just lacks the panache of the 37's.

TexasBill
February 26, 2010, 09:39 AM
http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss44/TexasBillC/JustRight.jpg

Now you're giving my J-frames a complex. I had a Model 37 years ago. This time, when I went shopping for snubbies, I bought the Model 637 because it was literally hundreds less than a Model 36 and my skin oil and S&W bluing just don't get along, no matter how much I clean the gun every time I touch it. I haven't seen a Model 37; used J-frames are rarer than hen's teeth in my neck of the woods. I bought the Model 60 because I liked it better than the Ruger SP101.

I like hammers and don't have a problem with them snagging because of the way I draw the gun from a pocket. Just an old quirk of mine.

My 637 is one of my most constant companions. I've got the usual assortment of holsters, but come summertime, when I can wear my favorite cargo shorts, I just stick in a pocket holster and drop it in a pocket. Incidentally, I got rid of the Uncle Mike's Boot Grip that made shooting the little Smith so painful with +P rounds and bought a set of the grips Smith puts on the Model 60 Pro. Makes for much more pleasant shooting and they add just 0.56" to the gun's height compared to the old grips. The Model 60 has some Magna-style grips I got from a shop here in Texas. Makes it a cold weather concealer but a great field gun.

Chester32141
February 26, 2010, 03:46 PM
Wife's 3" M37 ... Gave it to her for Christmas 10 years ago and she won't give it back ... :banghead:

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i258/JRB001/MVC-959F.jpg?t=1267217168

oweno
February 27, 2010, 02:13 PM
A couple of weeks ago, a friend mentioned that she had a S&W revolver but it was "stuck and wouldn't open". I told her to bring it by and I'd take a look at it.

Later that day, she came by with it as I was heading out the door. I took a quick look at it and way dismayed to see that while it was in the original box with all its papers, it the frame, barrel, and cylinder was covered with deep rust pits. A sad looking gun.

The next day, I had time to really check it out and it turned out that the "rust pits" were really some sort of oil that had turned into black balls of goo. The cylinder release latch was glued in the partially-open position, the cylinder was open just a bit and wouldn't move either way.

A thorough cleaning showed that the darn thing looked to be virtually new and unfired. So, she ended up with a no-dash Model 37 in beautiful shape. Nice find, that. (I was her brother's and came down to her years ago when he died. She was thrilled to have it.) Now, I've got to get her to the range for a lesson or two...I'll look for some wadcutters so the recoil won't be too bad.

ghitch75
February 27, 2010, 05:10 PM
i have had my 37 for 20 years...good shooter for a short barrel gun....never ever had a min's of trouble from it...likes to ride in my boot or back pocket with my CW45 up top!!!
http://i45.tinypic.com/14uwd2a.jpg

jhvaughan2
February 27, 2010, 10:07 PM
I initially thought that a new "J" would be best for CCW; leaving the older models for "collecting"

I Liked my 637-2, tried the 642-2, went back to the 637 -- found myself carrying my '71 m36 more than these... then this '74 m-37 came up.

(Both of the 6xx's are now gone.)

http://webpages.charter.net/vaughanhome/arms/37.jpg

Seven High
February 28, 2010, 05:50 PM
If anyone is considering buying an older M37 I suggest that you take a magnifying glass with you when you examine the pistol. I used to own a M37. It cracked on the frame just below the barrel. I did not shoot +Ps thru it, but I bought it used. Just a heads up!

Gary A
February 28, 2010, 09:21 PM
There have been reports of that, along with plenty of photos, and some debate about whether it is a result of over-pressure rounds or over-torquing of the barrel during manufacture. My 37's do not show it but it is something to be aware of and on the watch for.

jamo002
September 5, 2010, 03:30 PM
I have carried a .38 Spl. Model 37, with a super trigger job, every day since I escaped from a carjacking with a knife held to my throat in 1988. I used to carry it in my briefcase but now-a-days I don't carry a briefcase so I'm considering the new Scandium revolvers. In my Porsche convertible (same kind or car I was carjacked in) the 37 fits perfectly in the junk slot in the dash so I would keep it there & carry the lighter gun.

I also have the Custom Shop Scandium 1 7/8".45 ACP Revolver which, other than size is probably the best self defense handgun money can buy.

If I go to the new Scandium revolver I am actually considering the .22 Magnum with 7 shots or the (out of production) .32 Mag. A firearms instructor once said to me, first you need to hit them or it doesn't matter what caliber you shoot!

By the way, does anyone know if +P is safe in a 1988 Model 37? I was thinking to try some real light bullets like 115 gr. (.355 dia.) Luger bullets with Bullseye or Clays due to the short barrel. Both powders can easily go +P.

I now carry lightly loaded 158gr. because I can't hit with hot 158's.

jhvaughan2
September 5, 2010, 10:53 PM
1974 model 37 in my pocket all day today, and many others. I only take it out for my nickel model 38.
http://webpages.charter.net/vaughanhome/arms/37.jpg

velocette
September 6, 2010, 09:41 AM
For those that are looking, I have a no dash M37 up for sale in this forums classified.
3" barrel blued and a very nice revolver. I gotta finance my new addiction with a Kimber 82g.

Roger

S&Wfan
September 6, 2010, 01:04 PM
Model 37 (no dash number)
I have carried a .38 Spl. Model 37, with a super trigger job, every day since I escaped from a carjacking with a knife held to my throat in 1988. I used to carry it in my briefcase but now-a-days I don't carry a briefcase so I'm considering the new Scandium revolvers. In my Porsche convertible (same kind or car I was carjacked in) the 37 fits perfectly in the junk slot in the dash so I would keep it there & carry the lighter gun.

I don't recommend that you carry a nice M37 w/trigger job in the junk slot of Porsche convertibles . . . for the next time a thug parts you from your latest Porsche convertible he's gonna end up with a free M37 with a nice trigger job in the "junk slot!"

Truly, if the gun is not ON you, it will not do you much good . . . and it may also cause innocent people a lot of grief later on once a thug uses it to kill or maim.

By the way, does anyone know if +P is safe in a 1988 Model 37?

+P is quite safe in your '88 M37, assuming it is in great shape. I carry the same in my 1971 M37 daily and it shoots well. Try the new Winchester Bonded PDX1 130gn. +P hollowpoint ammo, it should shoot at POA. My M37 really likes it . . . nice tight groups.

I was thinking to try some real light bullets like 115 gr. (.355 dia.) Luger bullets with Bullseye or Clays due to the short barrel. Both powders can easily go +P.

Expect poor accuracy and the possibility of the light little bullets "jumping the crimp" under heavy recoil. NOT recommended at all.

I now carry lightly loaded 158gr. because I can't hit with hot 158's.

If you can hit with a light 158 gr load, but not a +P load, then it is a practice issue . . . and almost surely a flinch-induced problem.

Take a buddy to the range with you and let him load your revolver . . . leaving out one (up to five) chambers that do NOT have a hot round in it. You'll learn quite quickly if you are flinching when the gun goes CLICK and you are yanking the little roscoe towards the ground (a trait called "milking" . . . for one looks like they are milking a cow when this happens).

Empty chamber practices are highly recommended for ALL us shooters on occasion. You want to see the flame/flash at the end of the barrel each and every time your handgun goes boom. If so, you aren't flinching, blinking or milking!!!

ADDITIONAL BENEFIT . . . once you stop "milking" your shooting partner can begin loading a few rounds in the gun, and you'll find that you are shooting TIGHT groups WHENEVER the gun actually is going off!

Hope this helps!

If you enjoyed reading about "The Smith & Wesson Airweight Model 37" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!