.22 hornet scope

PDA

fernie kazam
March 26, 2008, 12:08 AM
hey
I'm looking to buy a new scope for a .22 hornet and need some suggestions.
i don't want the objective lens to be any bigger than 42mm and i don't want to spend more than $150. The rifle is used for plinking cans out to around 200m. What magnification should i get? should i get a fixed power or varible? do fixed powers really have brighter glass/better construction. It would it be cool it had a bit different recticle than standard duplex. I thought this was flash.
http://www.nightforcescopes.com/RETICLES_OVERVIEW/RETICLES_DETAIL/NP-1RR-15x_copy.pdf
Trouble is its on a $1500 scope

any suggestions welcome

If you enjoyed reading about ".22 hornet scope" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rangerruck
March 26, 2008, 01:14 AM
22 hornet is very mild powered, and you could proly look through the scope as it is fired. i would go with a minimum 18 power if you wanna clearly see what you hit at 200 yds. Mueller , swift, or Tasco varmint series , should all get the job done for about 150 bucks, maybe less. I have two of the Tasco varmint 6.24.42, and they are great, clear, and hold zero.

jmabbott888@aol.com
March 26, 2008, 03:10 AM
I don't shoot my Handi Rifle 22 hornet that far out, usually stop at 150 yrds or so but a 4 power simmons works fine for me, a Tasco Varmint scope would be great though lol.

tuck2
March 26, 2008, 03:30 AM
I have a 4-12 X w/AO Burris scope on my Kimber 22 Hornet. It cost more than you are planning to spend but saving for a better quality is worth it.

MilsurpShooter
March 27, 2008, 08:23 PM
BSA Sweets .22

I put a 4x9 on my Remington 511, illuminated Reticle. It has 3 different turrets for different bullet weights, easy to adjust, clear and front focus adjustment for different ranges. Feels pretty solid and durable too.

Essex County
March 28, 2008, 01:19 PM
Years ago I had a Hornet topped with an old El Paseo Weaver K6. I felt that it was a good match of cartridge and optics. I used it for chucks in hilly farm land, where 175 yards would be a long shot. Nice to see folks shooting some of the older rounds. Essex

dagger dog
March 28, 2008, 05:05 PM
I had a 4X14 variable on my hornet and for my aging eyes it worked well. I have since switched to a 4X12 Simmons ProHunter side paralax ajustable. I have always wanted the feature of the saddle ajustable paralax, instead of the adjustable objective, just figured it would be easier with out a lot of extra movement that can be spotted by your quarry.
The 200yd distance is about max with the hornet, so 12- 14 power should be enough.The Simmons is a bright scope even at 12 power, you can mount it with most medium hieght rings.

GunTech
March 29, 2008, 09:08 PM
$150 limits your options, but I would look for a 2-7x or 3-9x EFR. I'm partial to the little Leupold 3-9, but it's about double the price you quotes. The BSA scopes are absolute crap.

You can get a decent Nikon, or Bushnell elite close to your price range.

rcmodel
March 29, 2008, 09:13 PM
+1
A 2-7 or 3-9 variable is all the scope you would ever need on a .22 Hornet.

More power then that, and you need AO, which quickly adds to the price of a good quality variable scope.

Buy the best 2-7 or 3-9 you can find in your price range, and you're good to go.

rcmodel

Shawnee
March 29, 2008, 10:54 PM
If you decide on a 3x9 (which is actually a pretty good choice) take a long look at the Nikon "ProStaff" version - which can be found on several websites on sale for $149.95 and usually no charge for shipping.

Here is a link to one site...

http://www.opticsplanet.net/nikon-riflescope-prostaff-3-9x40.html

:cool:

MachIVshooter
March 30, 2008, 12:32 AM
I've got a 4-12x 40mm on my Hornet. The combo has proved pretty lethal on praire rats to 250 yards using 40 grain V-max's.

If you enjoyed reading about ".22 hornet scope" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!