Questions between fixed A2 sights and DCH sights for A3 - how to interpret or convert

PDA

stevenmac2
March 26, 2008, 03:50 PM
Hi All,

I been looking form information to explain to me the differences on the A2 sights and DCH sights for A3 and how to interpret it. I am a relative new shooter as I just bought an AR over a month ago, and in my attempts to learn from books and other information, I have come up with these questions:

For example, from the book I have been going through, it points out that:

A) Sights are marked up 8/3.
B) Bottomed out at 8/3, has the ability to go -3 clicks.

My Setup:
I have an A3 with a Detachable Carry Handle setup. I noticed that:
A) Sights are marked up to 6/3 and not 8/3
B) Bottoms out to only 6/3 where there is a little z on the wheel- do not have the ability to go -3 clicks back. Is that a problem?

With that, I have a slew of questions:

Question 1:
For primers and I certainly need the help understanding this - do I understand the use of the Elevation indexes properly. Would this be the correct interpreation with my Detachable Carry Handle?

6/3 (bottomed out means 600/300?) = set for 300 yrds?

4 (6/3+6 clicks) = 400 yrds
(From 6/3 bottom - it took 6 clicks to get to 4 Index)

5 (4+8 clicks) = 500 yrds
(From 4 - it took 8 clicks to get to 5 Index)

6/3 (2nd time. 5+10 clicks) = 600 yrds
(From 5 - it took 10 clicks to get to 6/3 a second time).

I notice that the wheel will keep turning, so I will continue forward to next major index number:

4 (2nd time - 6/3+6) = 700 yrds??
(From 6/3 second - it took 6 clicks to get to 4 second time)

Not quite to 5 = 800 yrds??
(From 4 2nd time, I could go only 6 clicks instead of 8 - so I stopped 2 clicks to making it to 5 for the 2nd time)

Overall from bottom to very top, I have a total of 36 clicks available for use. How many are on an 8/3 and if there is a difference, how do I adjust properly? If they say 1 click, do I have to go 2 or 3 clicks for example. Is there a conversion chart?

Question 2:
In the book I am using , it says that the Rear Sight Elevation Rules are that 1 click will move the strike of the round 1 inch for every 100 yards of range to the target - but this based upon sights for 8/3. Does this still hold true for the DCH 6/3 sights? Though my sights are set for 6/3, does 1 click still move it 1"?

Question 3:
Is it a problem that I am not able to go -3 clicks when bottomed out at 6/3 or this the design of the DCH?

Thanks very much for any information,
Steven

If you enjoyed reading about "Questions between fixed A2 sights and DCH sights for A3 - how to interpret or convert" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Canuck-IL
March 26, 2008, 04:37 PM
Couple of articles that might be of use...

http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/improvedbattlesightzero.msnw

http://rbprecision.com/rb_precision_ar15_performance_tips_.htm

Can't be of more help as I'd like to see some of the answers as well. My understanding is that only the RRA detachable carry handle can adjust out to 600 yds ... such has been remarked on ARF15.
/Bryan

If you enjoyed reading about "Questions between fixed A2 sights and DCH sights for A3 - how to interpret or convert" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!