Latest Reviews on the HiPoint C9

PDA

charliemopic
March 26, 2008, 04:02 PM
A buddy at work asked me if I knew of a good gun for home-self defense...for about $150.
I don't know of any centerfire double action revolvers for $150. There are several auto pistols for $150 but the only one that comes to mind that I would suggest would be the HiPoint C9 9mm. I think they also come in .40 S&W and .45 auto.
I explained that this wasn't the type of thing you'll want to skimp on but 150 is all he has to spend or all the wife will allow, whatever.
After basic orientation I doubt he will shoot much if ever.
A couple years ago I read a review on the C9 in Gun-Test magazine whos opinion I respect. They seemed to like the Hi Point.
Anyone here have any first hand experience with Hi Point pistols?
Or any other recommendation for $150 or less?

If you enjoyed reading about "Latest Reviews on the HiPoint C9" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hawk
March 26, 2008, 04:19 PM
I believe the latest from Gun-Tests with a Hi-Point was the .380. It continues to run better than expected.

I hear stories of 150.00 beater S&Ws but haven't yet seen one. The only revolvers consistently under the Hi-Point are old RGs and I'd prefer the Hi-Point to that option.

You can get a pretty servicable shotgun for 150.00 - any reason he's stuck on a handgun?

CajunBass
March 26, 2008, 04:27 PM
I've got a Hi-Point C-9 that has worked just fine for about 2,000 rounds. I don't shoot it anymore, but that's only because I proved to myself that it works.

If all I had was 150 bucks to buy a gun with, the Hi-Point would do the job.

lanternlad1
March 26, 2008, 04:46 PM
Hi-Points get good reviews, but I just can't seem to talk myself into buying one. I, however, have more than 150 to spend. :)

Here is a review I found online about the .40 and .45 Hi Points:
http://www.shootingtimes.com/handgun_reviews/hipoint_100605/

sig2022shooter
March 26, 2008, 04:59 PM
they're ugly as sin, but have a great warranty and seem to be reliable if they're clean from what i hear. i don't have any personal experience with their pistols but the 995 carbine sure was a fun plinker!

fogdor
March 26, 2008, 05:33 PM
Heh, I feel dirty when buying tools at Harbor Freight, but then I don't feel so guilty when I only use them twice a year. Sometimes (not every time, not even most of the time) cheap is the answer.

herohog
March 26, 2008, 05:34 PM
$145 at the local gun shop. I love for what it is. A cheap, reliable pistol. I did buy a 10 round magazine for $22 for it at the gun show Sunday.

BullsEye10x
March 26, 2008, 05:37 PM
Latest reviews? Well they're still big and ugly, kinda like a brick with a handle. That won't ever change. But they go BANG every time and don't ask for much in return. I have a M995 carbine in 9mm that I don't ever recall cleaning in the 9 years I've owned it (maybe once when it was new), and it has yet to let me down. I'm normally a lot more attentive about maintenance, but that ugly a** $99 rifle just keeps challenging me to see how much abuse it can take ;)

longhorngunman
March 26, 2008, 06:53 PM
I don't have a problem with Hipoints. There well worth their money and HP has great customer service. With that said right now you can get the Ruger P95 with 2 15rd mags from CDNN for $250. While not as refined as some other name brand guns the Ruger semiauto's have a reputation for reliablity and durability as good or better than all the big names. That's a lot of gun if he can just scrounge up another $100.

19-3Ben
March 26, 2008, 07:52 PM
With that said right now you can get the Ruger P95 with 2 15rd mags from CDNN for $250. While not as refined as some other name brand guns the Ruger semiauto's have a reputation for reliablity and durability as good or better than all the big names. That's a lot of gun if he can just scrounge up another $100.

A huge +1. I won't knock the Hi-Points, because I don't have personal experience with them, but I have heard they are reliable. But scrounging up another $100 puts him into the territory of the big hitters like the Ruger P95 from CDNN, or a used P89 (which would be my personal choice), or a S&W Sigma or something.

DerbyDale
March 26, 2008, 08:43 PM
People seem to have more problems with the C9 jamming etc than the 40s or 45s. I think the mag lips on the C9s need a little coaxing sometimes before they feed properly. I don't think the 40 or 45 mags suffer from this problem.

If your friend is not going to shoot it much, and work with it to break it in properly. You might direct him to the 40 or 45 since they don't need as much attention out of the box. IMO

EDIT:
I used to own a Hi-Point 40 pistol. I had a little over 1000 rounds through it with no malfunctions whatsoever. I sold it because I just didn't like the pistol.

txcoyote
March 26, 2008, 09:05 PM
I have some of the fancy named ones like S&W, Remington, etc. but I bought a Hi-Point C9 for $105 two years ago to see for my self how bad they are. It's a truck gun, it's inexpensive, I don't have to fret about it getting dinged (or worse yet, stolen). For me, it fits my hand better than a Gluck, is no uglier than one of those, has better safety, and it goes bang every time I squeeze the trigger (for about 1500 rounds now). It's actually lots of fun to shoot. Another inexpensive favorite of mine is the Bersa Thunder 380, but the 9mm ammo is much cheaper for the Hi-Point. The current generation of Hi-Points have great customer service (if you ever need it), life-time warranty for any purchaser - not just the original, and have a fan base of owners. Non-owners prefer to bad mouth the inexpensive but dependable weapons. The early generation models may indeed have been bad; I just know mine has been trouble-free. If that's all he can afford, go for it.

bensdad
March 26, 2008, 09:43 PM
Mine is pretty much bullet-proof. I treat it like crap, and still it refuses to malf. Far better gun than it deserves to be, given the price.

BMW2
March 26, 2008, 09:47 PM
I have well over 2000 rounds through mine(about 200 hollowpoints), had 2 failure to feeds in the first box of ammo and not a single one since. No complaints for $120. I also have a couple of the 10 round mags, which are great if your not carrying. Shoots one to one and a half inch groups at 7 yards with bulk umc ammo. I looked at the .40 and .45 when I bought mine but they are quiet a bit bigger and I didn't like the balance but thats a subjective thing.

Lighteye67
March 26, 2008, 09:50 PM
Yes, they are ugly pistols, but the wife and I each owned one:hers in .380 and mine was a JHP .45. Heavy, a PITA to disassemble and clean, but reliable and inexpensive. They are definitely one way to provide protection and peace of mind for someone with a small to nonexistent firearms budget.

longhorngunman
March 26, 2008, 10:56 PM
Derby dale, the 9mm guns have had problems with the magazines, all one needs to do is take some needle nose pliers and slightly turn the mag lips outward a little. The Hipoints actually function using one of the most reliable designs of all time, the straight blowback action. Which explains why their slides are so heavy. While reliable for a long time they will shoot themselves to pieces much earlier than other guns due to subpar metal. Of course HP's excellent Customer service will just give you a whole nuther gun if need be.:) With that said if the guy can scrounge up another $100 he'd be better off getting the Ruger. Actually $150 seems high for a hipoint, the 40's and 45's go for that around here, the 9's are usually right at $100.

ShunZu
March 26, 2008, 11:31 PM
Son & step-son (both mid-20's) both got one from me last Christmas. The 9mm. Everyone is right.. they ARE butt ugly as hell but 1 pistol has 400 rounds through it and the other about 500 -- and neither have reported malfunctions or failures to feed. One prints nearly dead to point-of-aim, the other prints a tad left, but they're not bullseye guns anyway. Both sons have complained about the heavy trigger, but both were also VERY accustomed to my 1911's -- and that's a big jump to adjust to. But for the money, it's a hard value to beat.

DerbyDale
March 27, 2008, 02:00 AM
Derby dale, the 9mm guns have had problems with the magazines, all one needs to do is take some needle nose pliers and slightly turn the mag lips outward a little....

Right, but remember the OP stated: "After basic orientation I doubt he will shoot much if ever."

I doubt someone like this will actually spend the time at the range adjusting the feed lips to were they will function 100%, 99.9% of the time. This is the only reason I suggested the 40 or 45. As it would be a better pick (IMHO) for someone who is not going to spend the time needed, or just doesn't want to spend the time tinkering with it. For an active shooter, this may not be a big deal...

BMW2
March 27, 2008, 02:37 AM
I haven't had any issues with my 8 or 10 shot mags. FWIW

Grandpa Shooter
March 27, 2008, 03:50 PM
The Hi Points do exactly what the owners of the company set out to do. They go bang, they don't break the budget, and they are a good entry level pistol. Who knows, the gun may fall in love with shooting and start buying other guns.

In the meantime, he will have a shooter and may well stay alive because of it. The one gunstore anywhere near me in the mountains started carrying them precisely because the guys up here wanted a "truck gun" they didn't have to worry about.

Tell him to go for it!

tinygnat219
March 27, 2008, 11:28 PM
Just think of them as inexpensive, un-refined Glocks and you are good. Just as reliable, but not as much paint on the pig.

Carl N. Brown
March 27, 2008, 11:39 PM
If the HiPoint pistols are as good as their carbines, then they are butt ugly but they will reliably go bang! when needed.

Last gun show I visited had a table of Police trade-ins S&W Model 10 .38 Special heavy barrel in what appeared to be Hogue and Pachmyr grips, lotsa hoster wear but appeared carried alot and shot alittle, 219.00 to 239.00.

For 60.00 more than a C9, a good S&W Military&Police Model 10 ..... hum.

Floppy_D
March 27, 2008, 11:50 PM
Sounds like it fits the bill. Meets the budget. If he isn't a range rat, he'll never know the downside. He's better off with a Hi-Point than nothing at all. Maybe all it will ever afford him is better sleep, but decent mattresses cost more than that. He done good.

platform
March 28, 2008, 12:14 AM
A question for the people who have them (and rely on them either at home or in a car):
do you have them with one in the chamber and safety on? or safety off? or not loaded?

thanks

herohog
March 28, 2008, 01:00 AM
Mine is cocked an locked.

The Lone Haranguer
March 28, 2008, 01:16 AM
Everyone is right.. they ARE butt ugly as hell but 1 pistol has 400 rounds through it and the other about 500 -- and neither have reported malfunctions or failures to feed.
Every time I think of the gun that I paid six times as much for that continually malfunctioned and shed parts on the range floor, I get more :fire: I gotta stop thinking. ;)

I don't have one because I can afford better, but if a Franklin and a Grant were absolutely all I had, it beats a pocketful of rocks.

For the OP: if your friend doesn't have to have the gun right now, layaway is his friend.

trader vic
March 28, 2008, 09:27 AM
I picked up a Hi Point just to see what all the fuss was about, the pro & con of the C 9 MM. Well I was pleasantly surprised, mine works like a champ. Functions very well with all types of ammo & is very accurate. I have $129.00 in a new one & they threw in a box of ammo. I shoot it regularly, just a good range pistol. As far as home protection goes, if I only had a little money to spend I'd have one in a heartbeat. Very little money well spent. NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

platform
April 22, 2008, 04:47 PM
adjusting the laser on Hi-Point 9mm compensated the other day (to zero at about 8-10 meters)

Had two elbows on the bench rest.
This is slow fire.

The hi-point frame is of the later model with curved grips and the front of the grip checkering (I had send mine for repair and they replaced the frame and the slide -- because original broke due to my incorrect assembly -- the whole thing was replaced for free...)

jcasapiedra
October 11, 2009, 08:40 PM
I work as an armed guard and routinely carry the Glock 17 but I have also carried the tried and true .45 1911 on the job site. This morning I went to the indoor shooting range to fire three guns I hadn't fired before, a Taurus Model 689 6" Barrel Stainless Steel .357 revolver, the Kahr P4044 .40 Cal pistol and a Hi Point C9 9mm pistol. Not many would argue that the Hi Point was in awfully good company.

It probably wouldn't surprise anyone to learn that the Taurus had the best groupings on the standard Mullet Man target at 15 yards. For my first time at the range I managed to keep the groupings inside of the area of a saucer even while firing the Buffalo Bore Big Gun .357 ammo with a blazing 802 FPE at the muzzle. It is thrilling ammunition to shoot.

The Kahr .40 Cal fired quite nicely too but the groupings were a little wider spread at 15 yards. This gun is very slim and trim but is as heavy as a brick so there was no kick unlike the kind of bite one gets when firing a .40 cal plastic pistol. It is also a lot smaller than the Hi Point C9. The Kahr P4044 is a very nice gun to shoot but a little heavy in the pocket when carried for personal protection. It does have a small "finger print" though and is very easy to conceal on the body.

The last gun I tried out was the Hi Point C9 which I bought this week only because I wanted a backup 9mm and because the Hi Point was only $159!

How does it shoot? Just fine. It has a long trigger pull but it doesn't require a lot of force to get there. The groupings were similar to the Kahr and that is because they both share about the same barrel length of about 3.5". The Hi Point kicks like my old Taurus PT140 .40 pistol, and by that I mean it has a strangely serious kick for only a 9mm pistol. It never misfired but I did get two occasions where I had to slam the heel of my hand against the slide in order to chamber the first round. After adding some Remington Gun Oil to the slide and to the magazine interiors this problem went away.

The groupings for the Kahr and the Hi Point were about the same but I had two wild shots from the Hi Point on the Mullet Man target, one in the left bicep and one in the forehead. I chalk those off to inexperience firing this particular pistol before. That and because the kick made me a little jumpy.

I would recommend the Hi Point C9 9mm handgun to any man but because it kicks too much for comfort (geeze it's only a 9mm!) I would caution a woman against buying it; instead I would steer her to the Hi Point .380. It is smaller and therefore easier to hold in the hand, and it will have less of a kick. The .380 caliber ammunition is more than adequate for self defense.

msgttbar
October 12, 2009, 12:44 AM
Actually, the HP C9 and C380 are the same size and weight, utilizing the same frame and slide. That is why the 380 is much tamer than the 9mm. I had a 380 and gave it to a friend. Currently I have a C9 and a 995. The C9 is my truck gun and the 995 is a ball to shoot. I must be lucky because out of the 11 magazines I have, I have had no feeding issues with either gun. Buy them with confidence, they are a fine American made product.

trigun87
October 13, 2009, 02:38 AM
I Miss my hi point 45 , wish I had never sold it . I think Ill go hunting for a c9 for car duty.

foghornl
October 14, 2009, 10:50 AM
I don't own a Hi-point but a bunch of my Shooting Budds do. (we informally call ourselves 'The CHEAP Galoots)' I have fired just about all of their models. My review:

Pig-butt-stuck-in-a-mud-fence ugly? check
Goes Bang! on request every time? check
Puts the lead where you aim? check
Good Customer Service if ya do need something fixed? double check

For under $250 in a 9mm or .40 carbine, sub-$200 in a handgun, what else can you ask?

okespe04
October 15, 2009, 03:18 AM
Hi-points work fine. I sold mine because it was a cheap piece of crap regardless of the fact that it worked great, never jammed and was fairly accurate. I would recommend one to anybody.

If you enjoyed reading about "Latest Reviews on the HiPoint C9" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!