Atlantic Arms STG2000?

PDA

armoredman
March 27, 2008, 12:00 AM
Anyone have experiance with one of these?

If you enjoyed reading about "Atlantic Arms STG2000?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Foxtrot427
March 27, 2008, 01:53 AM
Ive heard mainly good things. The gun looks great.

Wes Janson
March 27, 2008, 01:55 AM
Handled one today. It looks better than a WASR-10, but nowhere near as nice as an Arsenal. Dunno accuracy or reliability, but I suspect they're both acceptable.

rangerruck
March 27, 2008, 11:15 AM
go to interordinance arms and check them out. it is a romanian ak, with a hammer forged , chrome lined bbl, made in Austria I think. once it gets to america, they put on the american furniture, ar flash hider, and other goodies to the origional German specs. they then cut open themagwell to accept regular ak double stack mags. I have read multiple articles on them, and they have been accuracy tested as to be better than the majority of aks out there, much like the Saiga is. So it seem to me, that it is like getting a converted allready saiga, with the german designs, in a pretty accurate ak, for about 400 bucks. I have no idea if any other furniture will work on them, but I like the idea of the front capture pin, for the front handguards, and I also like the idea of the flat bottom handguards; better stabilization off of a rest. It also has built in sling mounts, so that is good.

rangerruck
March 27, 2008, 11:18 AM
oh yeah, it means also that it is 922 compliant , and you won't need any other after market parts.

But here is the best part, it is made also in 223, 762 nato, and 762 .54 R!!!!! i must have that last one...

nalioth
March 27, 2008, 04:38 PM
chrome lined bbl, made in Austria I think. Can you please show us where you see this?

The barrels are made in Romania. They may be made on Steyr machinery, copies of Steyr machinery, using the Steyr techniques with some other machinery, etc.

http://www.gunco.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IO_AK_Rifles.jpg

Stg-2000 page at InterOrdnance (http://ioinc.us/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=IO&Product_Code=ROMA0006&Category_Code=Long+Guns)

Stg-2003 page at InterOrdnance (http://ioinc.us/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=IO&Product_Code=ROMA0007&Category_Code=)

Nowhere in the advertisement or web site do they say "Barrels made in Austria". If they were using original Steyr barrels, you can bet they'd be crowing that fact from the rooftops.

These are nothing more than WASRs made for InterOrdnance instead of Century.

armoredman
March 27, 2008, 08:19 PM
Hmmm, the ad for Atlantic says Steyr barrel...sort of...http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/programming/expand.asp?Prodid=422
This Rifle features a Steyr Technology cold hammer forged chrome lined barrel,

Not the same as Steyr the factory, is it. Still like the look of the rifle, and the price.

CZ 42
March 28, 2008, 12:12 AM
I just got one, and I love it. It seems plenty accurate to me, and for all the upgrades it has at $380 it was a helluva deal. Given, I've never shot an AK before it, but I love the thing. It is very simple, but deadly accurate. IMHO, the barrel and grip are the two most important factors in accuracy. This gun has the best accuracy features you could hope for in a $500+ AK but for as little as a WASR. It wrings just about all the accuracy you can get out of a x39. The 5.45 is probably the second best model. Now I just need to decide what optics to mount.

rangerruck
March 28, 2008, 12:14 AM
you are right, it says steyr technology, so I bet they are using their machining and specs, but in Cugir Factory. Still sounds pretty good to me!!!
much like how Savage supposedly uses Anschutz machining and specs to make their bbls, proly just uses older annie equipment, but a savage still shoots plenty accurate.

Atlantic Firearms
March 28, 2008, 07:42 AM
FYI , we have sold tons of these rifles and only had one warranty issue , that is very good for a budget priced rifle, all AK prices are jumping up from the importers $30- $40 per rifle, so expect to see price increases in the next few weeks to months.

Grayrider
March 28, 2008, 12:14 PM
I would like to get one of the 5.56 guns while they are still relatively cheap. Can they take the Bulgarian 5.56 mags? I have a ton of those.

John

SSN Vet
March 28, 2008, 12:38 PM
If these were available 15 mos. ago, I probably would have got one instead of doing my Saiga conversion.

I like the way they look.

anybody have comments about the sight radius?

armoredman
March 28, 2008, 12:45 PM
I didn't realize Atlantic was on board here. Thanks for commenting, sir.
I won't have $ until mid June, so if everything is going up again much higher before then, oh well. It was worth a look.
I certainly do like the looks of that rifle, and I already load that caliber, too.

Atlantic Firearms
March 30, 2008, 08:43 AM
Yes we have seen prices increases from every AK importer or builder and are a distributor for Inter Ordnanace , they said prices were going to jump $30 - $40 bucks per rifle.

000Buck
March 30, 2008, 10:41 AM
Is a 7.62x54R version coming out?

Grayrider
March 30, 2008, 12:08 PM
Atlantic,

Do you know if the 5.56 guns will work with Bulgarian mags?

John

Atlantic Firearms
April 1, 2008, 08:24 AM
They do not build a 5.56 it is a .223 and the bulgarian mags should work but may need some sanding to fit.

Grayrider
April 1, 2008, 10:31 AM
Thanks! Come payday I will get in touch with you.

John

rangerruck
April 1, 2008, 11:52 AM
Thank you Mr. Atlantic; any other tips/tricks, mag works, furniture swaps that you may know of, would all help us out a great deal here. I 'm sure this info, if you could get back to us with any, would be greatly appreciated. especially when the other calibers will be available.

JLBennett
April 2, 2008, 02:36 AM
Inter Ordnanace indicates that starting in June, the rifles will be made in the USA....

Atlantic Firearms
April 2, 2008, 08:39 AM
Yes we are s distributor for IO and this summer they will begin to produce US AK & Dragunov rifles, this is due the increasing problems & cost of importing the rifles.

Monkeybear
April 2, 2008, 10:30 AM
US Dragunov! Sweet! Will they be cheaper?

armoredman
April 2, 2008, 11:22 AM
We can hope!

schadenfreude
April 2, 2008, 01:37 PM
Can the furniture be swapped out for a more traditional AK look?

skinewmexico
April 2, 2008, 03:27 PM
Can the furniture be swapped out for a more traditional AK look?

Wouldn't it be easier to just buy a traditional AK? This is just a Romanian AK with different furniture.

schadenfreude
April 2, 2008, 03:36 PM
It's for my brother who doesn't have a lot of money but wants .223 and this seems to fit the bill but I know his tastes and he wont like the stock so I was wondering if it takes all of the AK furniture out there.

nalioth
April 2, 2008, 07:21 PM
It's for my brother who doesn't have a lot of money but wants .223 and this seems to fit the bill but I know his tastes and he wont like the stock so I was wondering if it takes all of the AK furniture out there. Why not buy a WASR-3 (http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/model.htm#wasr3) for him? Less expensive and will accept all AK accessories.

Monkeybear
April 2, 2008, 07:37 PM
Once you buy the STG and then purchase an AK stock you have spent more than you would have on a WASR-3.

galveston22
April 2, 2008, 09:52 PM
if you can get past the way it looks, go for it. i recently read an article from a reputable magazine that said the gun was a great value and in general more accurate than most sub $500 ak variants. i like them and wouldnt mind to own one myself.

guntotinguy
April 12, 2008, 08:29 PM
US AK & Dragunov rifles

May be too early to mention...but what would the price range on a Dragonov be (appox.?)I really want one...US made...whats the caliber?54R?308?

Just askin...

nalioth
April 12, 2008, 08:45 PM
May be too early to mention...but what would the price range on a Dragonov be (appox.?)I really want one...US made...whats the caliber?54R?308? You'll be paying $4000 and up for a Dragunov.

Wait, what?

What you are looking at is American marketing gone wild. "We'll sell more of our POS overgrown WASRs if we call 'em "Dragunovs."

The "Romanian Dragunov" is more commonly known in the rest of the world as the PSL (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pu%C5%9Fca_Semiautomat%C4%83_cu_Lunet%C4%83). It is not a Dragunov at all, but an overgrown Kalashnikov.

Ash
April 12, 2008, 08:50 PM
But equally as effective and fulfills the exact same role, with exactly the same optics, exactly the same reliability and the same overall accuracy as the SVD. In other words, while it is not a Dragunov, it is every bit the Dragunov's equal on the battlefield and is actually distributed in more places than the SVD. And, the cost of the Dragunov is not actually related to its cost. When they were imported, they were in the $1,400 range and would cost no more to produce than an M1a. The reason for the high cost is the finite number in country, without the chance to import more. Without more Dragunovs, the price is through the roof (and no way in relation to its performance). An American producer could build them for the same price as a good FAL.

Strange, isn't it, that the PSL is just an overgrown WASR (not actually the case, but for the sake of argument) yet the Yugoslavian M76 is so wonderful, while being merely a machined-steel receiver cousin of the PSL (The Yugos chose the same route as the Romanians).

Ash

guntotinguy
April 12, 2008, 09:01 PM
Thanks guy's...

I looked at a PSL Romak3 the other week,went back to buy it Monday and it was 'gone',so I thought since this thread emerged,I would at least ask price...caliber...etc.

Think Ill just convert my 2nd Saiga 308 into a 'clone lookalike'.

nalioth
April 12, 2008, 09:06 PM
But equally as effective and fulfills the exact same role, I'd beg to differ, but this thread isn't the place.

Ash
April 12, 2008, 09:27 PM
Merely a response to your own statements about the PSL. Evidently you thought it was a good place to make comments, I felt it equally good to remark about it, too.

The role of the DM Rifle is very easily filled by the PSL, and fills the role equally as the SVD. The power is exactly the same, as is reliability. Accuracy is on par in the role of DMR. Optics are identical. In other words, in the real world, the PSL, M76, and SVD all do the same thing, at the same strength, the same reliability, with the same magazine capacity and the same optics (Indeed, current PSL's come with IOR-Valdada made scopes) but at 10%, or less, the price.

And cost would indeed be about the price of, say, a DSA SA-58 or Springfield M1a. Accuracy would be on part with the M1a. Cost, if you recall, of the Drags when they came in was only a very small percentage of current prices.

But, it is the same as the Czech VZ-58. The AK performs the same mission, with the same mag capacity, the same power, the same reliability, and the same effectiveness. While I prefer the Czech product, I can accept that it is not a more effective platform in general combat for the conscripted soldier.

Ash

LeibstandarteAdH
April 12, 2008, 10:23 PM
I would like to get one of the 5.56 guns while they are still relatively cheap. Can they take the Bulgarian 5.56 mags? I have a ton of those.

I don't think they will. At least not the STG-2003c that i got about a year and a half ago. It is picky about its magazines. Though i have never had ANY jamming problems or anything of that sort that i have heard is common with some 5.56x46 AK's while using either the orriginal east german Weigers or the romanian copys. Both of which century and Apex (apexgunparts.com) have in stock. I have never tried the bulgarian 5.56 mags but the dimentions as far as i know mock the 5.45 mags on the front lug that dosent fit on mine, but i have tried and failed with: promags (feed lips are so out of spec the rounds dont even touch the bolt paw), Zastava M-95 mags (magazine body/lugs too fat - wont fit in magwell), and bulgarian 5.45 (ak74) mags (they wont fit into the front trunion right to lock) so i have stuck with the Weigers and the identical buy 2-5$ cheaper romanian copys. You can get them for under $20 per.

Very satisfied with the gun BTW.

If you enjoyed reading about "Atlantic Arms STG2000?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!