Problem with smilies and quote blocking

PDA

Old Fuff
March 27, 2008, 12:37 PM
When I log onto The High Road I get "errors on page" messages, and I can't use boldface. underline quote, etc. or smilies when I post a message or a reply to a message. The error message does not come up when I go to other sites. I have deleated my High Road cookies and started over with no effect.

This may be the result of recent tweeking on the database, or because I installed a fresh update of Zone Alarm security software yesterday. Other then the above mentioned problems I don't have other issues surfing the site. Any ideas?

If you enjoyed reading about "Problem with smilies and quote blocking" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
igpoobah
March 27, 2008, 12:46 PM
Did you just refer to yourself as "I"?

:neener:

Old Fuff
March 27, 2008, 01:01 PM
"Did you just refer to yourself as "I"?"

Of course not! It was some kind of keyboard failure...

RNB65
March 27, 2008, 02:35 PM
Your problem may well be related to Zone Alarm. Here's a few things to try:

1. Check the event viewer in ZA and see if you see any messages related to THR.
2. Make sure the Windows XP firewall is disabled. Running two FW's at the same time can cause all sorts of problems.
3. Turn of ZA and see if THR works properly. Then turn ZA back on and try THR again. That should tell you if ZA is the culprit.
-

Old Fuff
March 27, 2008, 03:30 PM
Windows XP firewall is "off."

Turned off Zone Alarm, but it made no difference.

What next?

Old Fuff
March 27, 2008, 03:33 PM
Turned off Earthlink.net Task Panel.

Made no difference.

RNB65
March 27, 2008, 03:47 PM
Got me. ZA has a bit of a history of causing problem with emoticons and forum tools. PM Derek and see if he has any ideas. Also, look for ZA support forums and see if you can find any help.

The problem may not be related to ZA, but I'm not having any problems. THR has been running like a Ferrari ever since Derek moved the database to its own server.
-

Derek Zeanah
March 27, 2008, 04:23 PM
Everything looks fine to me here -- I'm not seeing any issues at all.

It's possible that smilies are pulled from www.thehighroad.org while you're browsing thehighroad.org (or vice-versa), and you've got something configured not to allow images from sites other than the one you're browsing.

Other than that I've got no idea.

If you enjoyed reading about "Problem with smilies and quote blocking" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!