Automatic formatting?

PDA

rbernie
March 28, 2008, 10:16 AM
When I try to submit a post with 'AR-10' as the sentence lead, the post winds up with 'Ar-10'. Something is applying some automatic formatting to the POST text; is it IE or is is vB?

If it's vB, can it be turned off?

If you enjoyed reading about "Automatic formatting?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mal H
March 28, 2008, 12:42 PM
The formatting is supplied by vb, not your browser. The function is there to prevent "shouting" in titles. If a title is all caps, then only the initial letter of each word is left as a cap.

Can it be turned off? Yes. Will it be turned off? No. The cure for the occasional problem such as you saw would leave a far worse problem.

There is a work around for it though - if AR-10 is the only text in the title, add something else that is not capitalized (e.g., "AR-10 rifle"). Then the AR-10 part will be left alone. If all of the title is in all caps - don't do that and the problem would never show up.

All of the above is true for post/thread titles and post text as well.

Mal H
March 28, 2008, 12:43 PM
(add on post to demonstrate my example of adding a non-cap word)

Mal H
March 28, 2008, 12:45 PM
(add on post to show what happens to titles that are in all caps - I created the title for this post in all caps and have done no editing of it)

rbernie
March 28, 2008, 12:49 PM
There is a work around for it though - if AR-10 is the only text in the title, add something else that is not capitalized (e.g., "AR-10 rifle"). Then the AR-10 part will be left alone. If all of the title is in all caps - don't do that and the problem would never show up.
That's what I did. I was just curious if it was a vB feature that was user-settable.

If you enjoyed reading about "Automatic formatting?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!