The most insane ammo price I have ever seen

PDA

rooter
March 28, 2008, 11:04 PM
I drove near K Mart today and since I had not been to K Mart in years, thought I would check to see if they have kept pace with ammo prices in the area or if I could score a deal. I looked at a 500 round bulk pack of Winchester .22LR hp. The price was 29.99. I do not know if this is the way things will end up, but 13.00 at Walmart isn't looking so bad anymore.

If you enjoyed reading about "The most insane ammo price I have ever seen" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Auburn1992
March 28, 2008, 11:05 PM
Hmm... pointing to any clues as to why K Marts are shutting down?

doubleg
March 28, 2008, 11:07 PM
The Gander by me has those for 25.00. :(

Big45
March 28, 2008, 11:31 PM
My local guy has South African .308 in the 140 round battlepacks for $114. That's dollars. One-hundred-AND-fourteen dollars. For 140 rounds. You wanna get nuts? C'mon, lets get nuts.

skynyrd1911
March 28, 2008, 11:35 PM
Holy Crap!!! :eek:

Zedicus
March 28, 2008, 11:39 PM
Cabelas in Boise is keeping fairly stable prices just now, no idea what 22LR costs atm there but 250 Rounds of 180 grn Magtech .40 S&W was priced at $79 earlier this week.
(if I wasn't broke I would have grabbed a box)

coyotehitman
March 29, 2008, 12:30 AM
There will be a point where folks simply stop buying ammo. At the present, I will not entertain buying any commercial centerfire rounds.

I am not an economist, but I disagree with the buy now, it will only get worse philosophy. Buying now, increasing demand in a market without an infinite supply, drives the price up. DO NOT BUY NOW, let ammo sit on the shelves of merchants nationwide, and lets see what the sale prices look like this time next year.

I understand the ammo market is unique and the price of metals is derived from other factors and events, but merchants generally "mark to market." This is why the sweater that costs 89.00 on December 23rd is on sale for 9.99 on January 5th and the store just eats the loss.

Any true economists care to chime in on a strategy for dealing with these prices.

Bazooka Joe71
March 29, 2008, 12:34 AM
The Gander by me has those for 25.00.

LOL, just can't help but laugh.

There's a good reason I have been to Gander once, and once only.:barf:

BLC
March 29, 2008, 12:40 AM
How about $30 bones for a WWB 100 rounder!

Hook686
March 29, 2008, 12:48 AM
The dollar is not worth what it once was and the Good Old USA no longer manufactures like it once did. Look no further most of you on this board voted for him not once, but twice.

How many of you buy American ?

Radagast
March 29, 2008, 12:52 AM
500 rounds of CCI .22 lr standard velocity set me back $46.50 last week here in Australia. I'll take $29.00 any day.

CBS220
March 29, 2008, 12:53 AM
Look no further most of you on this board voted for him not once, but twice.

Before we get too politikul, the alternative was a pair of hard-core gun banners.

gristle head
March 29, 2008, 12:55 AM
Yeah, if we had voted for the other choice ammo prices wouldn't be a problem. We would have no guns in which to shoot it.

esmith
March 29, 2008, 01:01 AM
This is why i bought 4400 rounds of federal bulk pack .22 at walmart for 12 bucks ahwile back. Going to a big gun show in about 7 hours, hoping on finding some cheap mosin ammo, or anything cheap for that matter. I have started to discourage people from getting into shooting because its addicting and expensive, not a good combination.

At some point it will get so bad that i will probably just sell all my guns and pour it all into fishing or something else. At this rate, investing in guns is sort of like investing in real estate, prices are going up and up and up...

The dollar is not worth what it once was and the Good Old USA no longer manufactures like it once did. Look no further most of you on this board voted for him not once, but twice.

Ah yes, blame it on ol G.W. huh? Well im guessing you are ignorant to the fact that the opposite in both elections would have jacked up ammo prices ON PURPOSE as a backdoor attempt to stop our right to bear arms. Maybe you haven't heard of the bill that wanted to introduce a fifty cent tax on .22LR bullets, and i mean on each separate round. Luckily for you it was shot down (no pun intended)... I suppose you are just one of the many sheeple that have been indoctrinated by the hate speech of the Left. In the words of Jim Quinn, you need to "grow up." But hey, i guess the hard headed need to be hit a little harder sometimes...

goon
March 29, 2008, 01:02 AM
I haven't really seen anything as bad as some of you.
Picked up some 9mm 124 grain Federal HST today for $20 per box of 50. I didn't think it was that bad.
Generally I also don't have any plans to buy a whole lot more ammo now, but I have been buying it lately as I could afford.
I never had the amount stored I wanted so I found a part time job to fuel my habit and set to filling an ammo can for every caliber.
Now that I have my minimun requirement met (still need just a couple boxes of .308 JSP) I won't be adding to the problem.
Hell, I can't afford to buy any more ammo unless it's bulk packed .22LR.

But for those who find themselves without "enough", I do advise buying it now.
If something happens tomorrow and you need another 20 rounds of 00 buck that you didn't buy yesterday because it was too expensive, that would really suck.
I don't think it will get any cheaper, and if you need ammo NOW, no price will seem too high.
Consider the cost if you don't have it.

doberman
March 29, 2008, 03:02 AM
With the cost of ammo prices these days I have truely come to know the understanding of the cost benefit of the "one shot one kill" methodology.

;)

takhtakaal
March 29, 2008, 03:32 AM
I about crapped myself when I saw federal 550 round bulk pack for $17 at Cabela's. $5 less at Wal*Mart -- suck up your revulsion and deal!

If you don't like what it is now, you'll hate what it'll be going for in October, for sure. November and December might take some wind out of the ammo and magazine bear markets' sails, if we get anyone besides the worst and worser of The Three Evils™ who are the likely candidates.

Really, all of this speculative buying is a crazy crap shoot. There's some what if potential, for sure -- as in, what if they convince someone that AWB II is political suicide? If they do, the market will have been flooded with all manner of expensively gotten tactiloot, and the wisest of us may have been those who have held off on the panic acquisitions.

Then again, I may be typing out my butt, too. Knowing that I have most of what I feel I might need is a bit reassuring.

Titan6
March 29, 2008, 04:27 AM
What we need to do see, is lower the interest rates see, and make more money. This way we will have more money to buy that stuff with.

At least that is what I hear on TV.

sublimaze41
March 29, 2008, 06:35 AM
I wish I could see my old shooting buddies from Maryland. Oh, they use to laugh at me for reloading .380, 9mm and .223.

I am currently shooting .223 for about $150 per 1,000.

MIL-DOT
March 29, 2008, 07:17 AM
Quote:
Look no further most of you on this board voted for him not once, but twice.

(quote) Before we get too politikul, the alternative was a pair of hard-core gun banners.

Exactly, and if you want to place blame for the fact that everything now says "made in China", you need to back it up one more administration .

CB900F
March 29, 2008, 09:52 AM
Fella's;

Here in the middle of Outer Montana, the price of .22 rimfire ammo has gone nuts. Last fall, Big R had a pallet of American Eagle 400 round bricks being sold for $9.90 a brick. Now, at the same store, it's $13.90 a brick. But wait, it gets even more interesting. Down the street at Scheel's, the same brick that's $13.90 at Big R, is $17.99 if I remember correctly.

So, how can Big R sell for $4.00 a brick cheaper? Or perhaps the real question ought to be, who's gouging & who's not?

900F

nicholst55
March 29, 2008, 09:55 AM
sublimaze41 wrote: "I wish I could see my old shooting buddies from Maryland. Oh, they use to laugh at me for reloading .380, 9mm and .223.

I am currently shooting .223 for about $150 per 1,000."

The price of reloading components has gone up right along with the cost of factory ammo, unfortunately. There are spot shortages of primers to deal with, and milsurp brass has just about dried up completely. What you can find costs three times what it did a year ago.

Still, reloading is the way to go. Although I do wish I'd bought a boxcar load of Port 7.62 when it was going for $139.00 per K a few years ago as an investment... :evil:

greyling22
March 29, 2008, 10:08 AM
I was at cheaper than dirt in ft. worth a month ago, and they had to different boxes of 550 federal. a blue on red box, and a red on red box. one was $14, one was $30. I don't remember which was which, and read the boxes and couldn't tell the difference, but that might be the reason of the $30 kmart. maybe.

evan price
March 29, 2008, 10:14 AM
My local big gunstore had CCI .22lr 500-bricks on sale for $9.99 a few months ago. I was in yesterday and they are now $19.99 with a big "SALE" sign.

XD Fan
March 29, 2008, 10:19 AM
In spite of the fact that the price of .22 lr ammo is going up drastically, I still see me shooting a lot more of it in the future. The price of .45 ammo just makes me sick. I keep wishing I had not traded my old 9 mm XD for my .45 XD. Oh well, it is a lot of fun to shoot when I can afford it.

BamaHoosier
March 29, 2008, 10:28 AM
The only gunstore left in town here wanted $20+ for the same thing Wal-mart sold me for $14....

Atla
March 29, 2008, 10:53 AM
The higher the ammo price the better shot we all become.

Bailey Guns
March 29, 2008, 11:28 AM
Those of you who are so quick to blame the small, independent dealers for high ammo prices need to understand they don't buy at the same volume the box stores do. There is a minimum margin (percent of the sale that is profit) needed to stay in business. That's just a fact. With the ridiculously low margins on most new guns the profit has to be made somewhere.

I think I read somewhere the average business needed margins of 35% to 40% to stay alive. When new guns get 10% (or even less considering how many sellers charge cost + 10% markup) margins on average the difference has to be made up somewhere.

Small retailers generally mark up their ammo according to what they pay from the wholesalers. If I were to order a brick of American Eagle 40gr .22LR today it would cost me just under $16. Considering shipping and store overhead what would most of you suggest I sell that brick for?

During the past year I've had to reprice ammo already on the shelves in order to be able to afford to replace it.

It's a pretty complicated formula that's a lot more involved than just a particular seller gouging customers. I know that exists but I think it's the exception rather than the rule. Also, they may have just made a bad buying decision and are just trying to recoup the cost.

I doubt many of you complain when your paycheck goes up because the company you work for was able to maintain certain profit levels in spite of increased costs of doing business and was able to pay you more.

It's a two-way street.

cleardiddion
March 29, 2008, 11:54 AM
Grandpa's pawn and gun near my house has 300rd cans of Bulgarian 7.62x54R for a 130 bucks...

doc2rn
March 29, 2008, 12:08 PM
clear I wouldn't buy it my guy has Yugo light and heavy for $189/ case.

Ithaca37
March 29, 2008, 12:13 PM
A place near me has 500rds of wolf 7.62x39 for $135! That is 26 cents per round. The same place sells individual 20rd boxes for $5.00 ($4.99 technically). That is 25 cents per round.

Why does the same stuff in bulk cost more than in small quantities?

jerkface11
March 29, 2008, 12:19 PM
I heard the solution was the raise the minimum wage to $50 an hour that way we all have more money!

Marbles
March 29, 2008, 12:29 PM
I only buy ammo when it's on sale here.

22LR bulk 500rnd bricks go for 21.99 on sale here. .223 is 11.99, 9mm is 13.99 (last I was there). 100rnd WWB is like 19.99. That's all remington UMC ammo other than the WWB stuff.

Good stuff. I don't buy Herculean .454 Casull rounds to impress buddies (:)) then complain about the ammo cost. That's one of the points why I don't buy bigger rounds.

siglite
March 29, 2008, 12:38 PM
Factoring in the *current* rates I'm paying for components, I just reloaded 1200 .223 rounds. The math came out to about 16.5 cents per round. That's up from two years ago where my cost was about 12-13 cents per round.

Brass and Bullets have gone up about 40%, and primers have doubled in price. Primers are still only about 2.5 cents per round, so it's not a huge impact. The only component that's remained relatively constant is powder.

Brass, lead, primers, all climbing fast.

Kentak
March 29, 2008, 12:40 PM
Random thoughts, no expertise claimed (however, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once).

As much as many of you dislike Wal-Mart for whatever reasons, *generally* you're going to find it hard to beat their prices--apples to apples--on a regular basis. They are the largest mass retailer. Their efficiencies of scale and distribution make it possible to sell things at darn good prices everyday.

So, if W-M is selling Acme brand 9mm for $XX.xx, you'll be hard pressed to find it at Bubba's Bait and Ammo anywhere near close to that. My point is, I kinda use W-M as an indicator of current *market* ammo values. I know if I come across the same ammo for less, it's a good buy. It might be an advertised special. Or, sold as a loss leader at a big gun store to bring the customers in. Take advantage of those.

It's true that hoarding in anticipation of rising prices is a self-fulfilling prophesy. If enough people do it, it increases demand and lowers supply. That, of course, causes prices to rise. However, trying to get enough people to stop hoarding is impossible. No one wants to be the guy left without a supply of either range or SHTF ammo.

Sadly, if you are waiting for prices to come down before you buy, I think you are in for a very, very long wait.

If there is so much excess profit and gouging going on in the ammo industry, why haven't some enterprising industrialist types set up an independent domestic ammo factory to supply the civilian market with *reasonably* priced ammo?

K

Bostekrisco
March 29, 2008, 12:49 PM
As much as many of you dislike Wal-Mart for whatever reasons, *generally* you're going to find it hard to beat their prices--apples to apples--on a regular basis. They are the largest mass retailer. Their efficiencies of scale and distribution make it possible to sell things at darn good prices everyday.

Yep.

This thread reminded me I need to restock my .22 ammo stash. I just called the local WM and he said they have about 6 cases of the Federal bulk packs in stock at $11.97 a box.

CB900F
March 29, 2008, 02:34 PM
Fella's;

I think that perhaps Bailey Guns was directing his comments to a post I made earlier concerning the cost of American Eagle .22 lr ammo. In that post I noted that Big R was now selling a brick at $13.90 & Scheel's down the street was at $17.99 for the same thing.

The unacceptable part of the above is that Scheel's is, if anything, a bigger chain than Big R. Not all Big R stores carry firearms, however all Scheel's stores have major firearms departments.

I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last year, but I do know that Scheel's spent a ton of money putting in a large new store in last year. Could there be a correlation? Or is that one of those questions we shouldn't ask these days? You know, like is Wal-Mart just Communist China's marketing arm? How did Vince Foster really die? Or: Is it possible to O.D. on botox?

:fire: :evil: 900F

takhtakaal
March 29, 2008, 02:44 PM
Or: Is it possible to O.D. on botox?

Dave Chapelle has an answer for that.

hotpig
March 29, 2008, 02:59 PM
My point is, I kinda use W-M as an indicator of current *market* ammo values.

Wal Mart sales ammo at less than Dealers can buy it.

If you find a better deal buy it because it will not last long.

The only thing tracking Wang Mart prices are good for is guessing mark ups at your local shop.

If China Mart has X brand for 18.00 and Rods Guns has it for 21.60 than you know Rod marks it up about 20%.

357WheelGun
March 29, 2008, 03:13 PM
Grandpa's pawn and gun near my house has 300rd cans of Bulgarian 7.62x54R for a 130 bucks...

Ouch, that's bad. I just bought 900 rounds of Bulgarian 7.62x54R from J&G for that same price (not counting shipping).

siglite
March 29, 2008, 03:13 PM
Wal Mart sales ammo at less than Dealers can buy it.

That doesn't make any sense at all. If that's the case why wouldn't dealers just go buy walmart ammo and resell it? I know I damn sure would if they had it cheaper than I could get it direct from a wholesaler or manufacturer.

I'd have a pallet a week waiting for me at Walmart.

hotpig
March 29, 2008, 03:21 PM
I bet some do.

hotpig
March 29, 2008, 03:29 PM
My price from one of the largest Winchester Distriubutors.

Warning!!!

This is a super secret price. If you read the rest of this post I will have to kill you.

Item Number: USA9MMVP

185.60 10/cs

Description: WIN 9MM 115 FMJ VALUE PACK29lb 100/bx 10/cs

Available: 0

aerod1
March 29, 2008, 04:23 PM
I haven't purchased any .223 ammo in 2 years. I am waiting for the price to drop.........someday:confused:?

hotpig
March 29, 2008, 05:04 PM
If you can hold out a little longer maybe three to five years we should have a good idea on ammo prices increasing or dropping.

TexasSkyhawk
March 29, 2008, 05:33 PM
There will be a point where folks simply stop buying ammo. At the present, I will not entertain buying any commercial centerfire rounds.

I haven't bought commercially loaded ammo in years. Don't have to.

Yep, the cost of reloading components has gone up, but they've always done that. I bought thousands upon thousands of primers back when they were cheap. In fact, I'm looking at a box of Remington Small Rifle Benchrest primers I bought a while back--price tag on the box says $7.95.

That's for a thousand primers, by the way.

By casting my own boolits, I can take the cost of shooting for handguns down to around .03 to .05 per round. I have a lot of rifle bullets stored, but don't shoot long gun nearly as often, or in number of rounds, that I do handguns.

Might wanna ask yourselves why the cost of ammo has increased way more than the cost of guns . . . That's the way the anti's are gonna get us.

Jeff

Lupinus
March 29, 2008, 08:01 PM
it has to do with two things.

Supply and demand, the metals that go into ammo is increasing in demand raising prices.

Also gas has gone WAY UP. Ammo is very heavy stuff and comes with heavy shipping costs, because of this it costs more.

Sucks, but it wont get much better anytime soon.

Shooter57
March 29, 2008, 08:23 PM
keep wishing I had not traded my old 9 mm XD for my .45 XD. Oh well, it is a lot of fun to shoot when I can afford it.

With the .45 you only need to shoot the BG once and not twice with a 9mm:neener:

Nagant
March 29, 2008, 08:28 PM
My XD 45 is pretty hungry as well...

How's this for price gouging: There are two gun shops about 1 block from each other. The one guy is selling old surplus 7.62X54R in the 10 round twine-bound paper packs for 3 dollars for 10 rounds... the guy down the street is selling the exact same stuff for almost 10 dollars... and had the audacity to tell me it was a great deal and I wouldn't find a better deal ANYWHERE.... :scrutiny:

Hardtarget
March 30, 2008, 12:05 AM
This PM, wifey needed to stop at Big-K so I trotted back to sporting goods to have a look. Winchester Dynapoint .22, 500 count, $29.95 . ouch. The last .22 I bought at Wal-Mart was $14.00...give or take a few cents. Glad I have a little extra on hand.

Mark.

The Lone Haranguer
March 30, 2008, 01:38 AM
I saw a box of 20 rifle cartridges for $140:eek: yesterday at Cabela's, but it was .30-.378 Weatherby Magnum. I would venture to guess that most Weatherby Magnum owners are handloaders. ;)

Sixtigers
March 30, 2008, 07:49 AM
Not to poop on anyone's parade...but WalMart's ammunition prices are going up April 1st. (From "Linda" the ammo queen at my local WalMart)

--Also--Linda gives me 10% off if I buy a thousand rounds at a time. You guys ask your local Wallys for that? I don't know if it's standard or not...

GeezerwithGuns
March 30, 2008, 12:37 PM
I bought a 500 round bulk pack of CCI .22 LR at Sportsman's Warehouse yesterday: $13.99

Hook686
March 30, 2008, 09:26 PM
March 28th, 2008, 09:01 PM #14
esmith

Posts: 537 This is why i bought 4400 rounds of federal bulk pack .22 at walmart for 12 bucks ahwile back. Going to a big gun show in about 7 hours, hoping on finding some cheap mosin ammo, or anything cheap for that matter. I have started to discourage people from getting into shooting because its addicting and expensive, not a good combination.

At some point it will get so bad that i will probably just sell all my guns and pour it all into fishing or something else. At this rate, investing in guns is sort of like investing in real estate, prices are going up and up and up...

Quote:

Ah yes, blame it on ol G.W. huh? Well im guessing you are ignorant to the fact that the opposite in both elections would have jacked up ammo prices ON PURPOSE as a backdoor attempt to stop our right to bear arms. Maybe you haven't heard of the bill that wanted to introduce a fifty cent tax on .22LR bullets, and i mean on each separate round. Luckily for you it was shot down (no pun intended)... I suppose you are just one of the many sheeple that have been indoctrinated by the hate speech of the Left. In the words of Jim Quinn, you need to "grow up." But hey, i guess the hard headed need to be hit a little harder sometimes...

You certainly have your opinion. However I thought this was The High Road. Why the name callin and personal bashing ?

I happen to think the wars ongoing for 5 years have contributed greatly to the price, and availability, of powder, bullets, primers and ammunition of all sorts.

That's my personal opinion and I'm going to stick too it ... all your personal bashing will not alter it. If you look hard, I did not blame G.W. ... he did what he said he was going to do ... go to war ... the blame I put on those that voted for him twice. Stop bitching about prices ... you vote for 'Outsourcing' and you get what goes along with it.

Geronimo45
March 30, 2008, 10:48 PM
Interesting remarks here, about 2/3 way through the article, re: ammo prices:
http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ayoob108.html

esmith
March 30, 2008, 11:09 PM
Maybe i didn't follow, "The High Road" but don't take it personally thats just the way i sound through the internet.

Stop bitching about prices ... you vote for 'Outsourcing' and you get what goes along with it.

Didn't vote in either of the last two elections.... You still fail to realize that there the alternative to having G.W in office would have been worse. Why don't you try moving to England, then maybe you'll see the forest for the trees.

he did what he said he was going to do

I may be incorrect but it sounds as if you say it as though he WANTED to go to war, even before 9/11. Maybe you would rather have thousands civilians (possibly including yourself) killed through jihadist attacks than have higher ammunition prices. By the way i hope you know that thats not the only factor that contributes to the higher prices.

Ala Dan
March 31, 2008, 12:11 AM
Yep, now that K-Mart has acquired Sears & Rare'back they think that they
can charge mo' money for their products~! :eek: :uhoh: :(

If you enjoyed reading about "The most insane ammo price I have ever seen" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!