All Purpose Rifle

PDA

HoosierQ
March 29, 2008, 03:00 PM
I am looking for some nominations of rifle and caliber.

I want a handy, medium sized rifle for use in the desert and mountains. Something that I can have handy for plinking, self defense, varmint control, and some hunting. The problem I see is the calibers I think would be perfect (7.62x39 for example) come in the wrong configurations for what I want (can't see dusting off a coyote at 100 yds with and AK). How great would a lever action 7.62x39 be...I know, I know, I am delirious.

Anyway, what have you folks got for an everyday gun?

My current gun in this role is a Savage 24 over-under my dad had...22 magnum on top, 20 gauge on the bottom. I love that thing but a repeater would be nice.

If you enjoyed reading about "All Purpose Rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
El Tejon
March 29, 2008, 03:23 PM
Yet another voice cries out for a Scout Rifle.

Deer Hunter
March 29, 2008, 03:39 PM
Why can't you imagine "dusting" a coyote at 100 yards with an AK?

You must have VERY small coyotes down where you live.

An accurate AK, say a Saiga, would fit the role nicely. Optic-ready as well.

9mmepiphany
March 29, 2008, 03:45 PM
you could also look at the CZ 527 in 7.62x39mm

swiss7.5
March 29, 2008, 03:47 PM
or T/C encore chambered for one or many of the calibers you want

rcmodel
March 29, 2008, 03:53 PM
Or a 30-30 Winchester or Marlin!

They are a 7.62 in a lever-action, only a whole lot better hunting ammo selection.

Unlike the 7.62x39, you can buy good hunting ammo at the Quick-Trip gas station in DeerScat Montana!

rcmodel

H2O MAN
March 29, 2008, 03:55 PM
Probably the best All Purpose Repeating Rifle deal going these days is the M14 type rifle.

Find a nice slightly used Chinese Norinco or Poly Tech, look for a deal on a Springfield, Fulton or LRB safe queen.

goon
March 29, 2008, 04:14 PM
Why not a Marlin 30-30?
Already lever action, ballistics actually put a little more thump on the target than a 7.62x39, light, handy, and been around for a long time.
And ammo is domesically produced by just about every manufacturer.
Also ready for a scope.

BTW - nothing wrong with an AK if that works for you. I've just never been satisfied with them for one reason or another.

Monkeybear
March 29, 2008, 04:50 PM
CZ 527 Carbine in 7.62x39

5 round magazine
37" long
5.9 lbs

http://www.cz-usa.com/data/productimg/main015.png

kcmarine
March 29, 2008, 04:55 PM
AK of some sort, probably a Saiga.

By all- purpose, I assume that it is meant to serve every purpose. Does every purpose not include scaring the crap out of every anti that hates a black, foreign- made, communist gun?

R.W.Dale
March 29, 2008, 04:59 PM
I third the notion of a CZ carbine being THE rifle for you

Nhsport
March 29, 2008, 05:18 PM
I was just fingering the CZ today in a store but tossed it back on the rack.

This is certainally a sweet little rifle but to get the full benifit of the bolt action you need to put away the wolf and surplus ammo and reach for the expensive stuff that nobody stocks because everybody uses the cheep stuff.
You might as well buy a sks and put your effort into carveing some weight off it and fixing up the trigger and sights.

How about a leightweight CZ in 223 (I believe they make one). You can still use wolf and ball ammo for plinking away (with decent balistics) and better grade stuff is around along with any reloading components you could desire. Real choice with 223 is only a heavy barrel true varmit gun or one of the light weight handy sporters

Savage used to make a bolt gun in 30-30 but it was pretty chunky.

There is lots to be said for a regular 30-30 win with upgraded peep sights. No gost rings for me,true target peep like Lyman or Marbles. Not exactly a varmint gun but a Coyote at 100 yards is a very doable shot.
The Marlin guns are real solid and now much cheeper than the Winchesters but they are downright chunky alongside a Winchester. The 30-30 is a great round that can be had for just a little more than 223 . The 30-30 is easy to reload and makes a darn nice cast bullet gun as well.

A lever gun in 44mag is a great tool but to my thinking the ammo cost is to high unless you reload, then it fits your needs pretty well.

The next gun I am trying to find a good deal on a used is a 357 lever gun . This could work well for you as the 38 loads are real cheep and the 357 would give you some pretty good power . The real problem is there are few of these guns around

R.W.Dale
March 29, 2008, 05:23 PM
but to get the full benifit of the bolt action you need to put away the wolf and surplus ammo and reach for the expensive stuff that nobody stocks because everybody uses the cheep stuff.

Don't underestimate what the cheap stuff can do from a CZ. The "expensive" crap shoots nowhere near as well

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/krochus/GROUPS/HPIM1148.jpg

JustsayMo
March 29, 2008, 05:29 PM
I'll ad another vote for the 30-30 Levergun. Simple reliable and inexpensive. GOOD ammo is available for less $ than most other centerfire cartridges and if you reload, you can make it even more versatile. As a group they are more accurate than the commy guns for about the same money. Leverguns are about as easy to carry as a rifle can be, typically narrow and light. With practice very lethal on gongs at long range.

I like the CZ 527. I didn't like the 7.62x39 cartridge in it. The accuracy was no where near what my other CZ's can produce, even with handloads.

R.W.Dale
March 29, 2008, 05:36 PM
I like the CZ 527. I didn't like the 7.62x39 cartridge in it. The accuracy was no where near what my other CZ's can produce, even with handloads.

My example is more accurate than either my 550 varmint laminated or the CZ527FS. I get 1.5 to .75 MOA from just about any handload I feed my 7.62x39 cz. The poor preformance you witnessed bust have been from the rifle itself as the chambering has almost NOTHING to do with a rifles accuracy

Buzzbox
March 29, 2008, 05:38 PM
The middle rifle in this photo:

http://i28.tinypic.com/21kksk2.jpg

.308 Steyr Scout.

HoosierQ
March 29, 2008, 06:17 PM
Well I certainly have some good ideas. Because you can't hunt with a rifle here in Indiana, you don't see a lot of rifle caliber lever guns. I do like them.

The CZ bolt carbine is nice.

Wow..that Steyr Scout is really something!

Savage Shooter
March 29, 2008, 09:59 PM
My votes for the 30-30 or a .308 if you want to reach out there and touch something.:evil:

Buzzbox
March 29, 2008, 10:29 PM
Wow..that Steyr Scout is really something!

It is. The weight, handling, sling, eye relief, and accuracy are all simply excellent. I have no use for the back up irons or bipod.

The pinnacle of the scout rifle concept already exists. The Steyr Scout.

jdc1244
March 29, 2008, 10:38 PM
I have a CZ 527 Lux in .223 – very accurate and I consider it my ‘all purpose’ rifle. No, .223 is not the least expensive round but the 527 is great for hunting or the target range. 527s can also chamber 5.56 NATO rounds as well.

go_bang
March 29, 2008, 10:53 PM
I think I would have to side with a 30-30 lever gun.

They are almost as common as dirt. Ammo for them is as common as dirt. It's easy to handload. The rifles generally work well with cast bullets. It takes the common .308 caliber bullet, of which there are lots of different types. You can load it down for plinking or small game and load it up for bigger game. You can even load spitzer or boat tail bullets as long as you use the rifle as a single shot. The rifles are easy to carry and easy to handle. For self defense levers are not as capable as a semi-auto, but they are a far cry more capable than a bolt gun.

rbernie
March 29, 2008, 10:58 PM
This is in 7mm08; 120gr light loads for two and four legged varmints, 140gr for deer, 160gr for bigger thin-skinned game, and 175gr RN for Da Big Stuff

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=69813&d=1198729060

missouri dave
March 29, 2008, 11:25 PM
Saiga in .308 would do all of that just fine.

FlyinBryan
March 29, 2008, 11:31 PM
all around rifle,,,,,,,,

colt sp1 selective fire m16.

no, really though, maybe a nice 308 bolt gun.

or maybe the already mentioned 30-30 lever gun.

maybe a nice mini 14 ranch rifle in stainless steel.

its killing me not to say bushmaster so i will stop here.(m4a3 with a holosight)

wilson
March 29, 2008, 11:37 PM
I know they arent cheap, but what the the new ruger mini in 6.8. I have a mini 30. Its no tack driver by any means but its light and handy. I think the 6.8 should work good.

GunTech
March 29, 2008, 11:49 PM
The Steyr scout is a neat rifle, but lacks something in the accuracy department after a couple of rounds (thanks to the very light barrel) and is also very expensive. It is truly a unique rifle, and if you can afford one, why not. (around $2k)

rangerruck
March 29, 2008, 11:52 PM
I agree with , have shot, and currently own the cz, the saiga, and the lever 3030, but get the 3030 in winny, not marlin, much heavier, the winny is much more handy.

35 Whelen
March 30, 2008, 01:55 AM
I for the most part agree with the 30-30 guys. but, a really, truly all-around practical rifle:
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/FR-8.jpg
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/FR8groups1a-1.jpg

Crater the scope? No, problem. Grab a quarter and remove the scope. The back up sights are pre-zeroed. Like to plink? Cast bullets are almost free and very accurate. (See group on the left) Very light (7 lbs.), and handy (18 1/2" bbl.). Will shoot everything from light cast bullets at pistol velocities to 180 gr. premium bullets with enough powder to down an elk.

Proven itself many times:
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/Hunting/PB280045red.jpg
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/Hunting/GregsBuck-Dumont036a.jpg
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/Hunting/Emilysbuck11-052a.jpg

These are available by Savage and they're fine rifles too.
35W

Funderb
March 30, 2008, 02:11 AM
sks with a compact scope on it.

Nematocyst
March 30, 2008, 02:18 AM
You're getting lots of good advice in this thread.
I couldn't/wouldn't argue with most recommendations.

Speaking only for myself, it'd be either my Marlin 336 in .30-30
or the 1894C in .357 Mag, depending on the situation.

Either are great for SD. The 336 is better for medium sized game,
but the 1894C is a pound lighter and smaller for foot travel,
and eats the same rnds as my model 65.

I would live happily with either of them.

If not one of those, then a Ruger Frontier in 7mm08 like RBernie's.

alaskanativeson
March 30, 2008, 07:56 AM
If you're in an area you have to use pistol ammo in a rifle for it to be legal to hunt with that makes this a lot easier. For all around I'd get a .357 since it will work for everything up to deer and the rounds are cheap enough to practice regularly with.

El Tejon
March 30, 2008, 01:41 PM
Well I certainly have some good ideas. Because you can't hunt with a rifle here in Indiana, you don't see a lot of rifle caliber lever guns.

1. You don't see them unless you go look for them. Last .30-30 I purchased was at a pawn shop for $100. Tons of rifles can be found at the Indy 1500 or other gun shows in the state.

2. Again, for the 1, 238th time on THR, you can hunt with a rifle in Indiana. Which gun shoppe is telling you this fiction? Some fat stool sitter without a clue no doubt.:fire:

Both centerfire rifle cartridges and "pistol" caliber carbines usually found in lever actions. I prefer a bolt gun, YMMV.

Remember, it is within your best interest to allow your software to make your hardware decision. It's cool, go to school. Get a class, borrow a rifle if you have to. Find out what is optimal for what you wish to do.

George Hill
March 30, 2008, 02:39 PM
http://www.madogre.com/PowerHouse/CZ527Carbine.htm
Another recommendation for the CZ 527 Carbine.
I has become my favorite "Take to the Mountains" gun... even more so than my customized Marlin .30-30.
I've killed coyotes with my Vector Arms AK out to 300 and with the 527 Carbine, just shy of 600 yards. But yes, that was really lobbing it out there, but it did the job.

armoredman
March 30, 2008, 03:16 PM
I too, would like to try this CZ 527 7.62x39mm carbine. Sweet looking rifle!
I load this caliber, and it is decent in the Yugo SKS, but there's only so much you can do with an SKS!

Edit to add - would it not be nice to have two of these, one in 7.62x39mm, and one in .223, to take advantage of whichever is the loss leader sale ammo at the time!:D

Monkeybear
March 30, 2008, 05:09 PM
armoredman- Just wait until you handle one. Its just about the fastest pointing rifle I have ever held.

Brian Williams
March 30, 2008, 05:15 PM
I would like to have one of the CZs in 6.5 grendel.

jpwilly
March 30, 2008, 05:25 PM
Are you apposed to the Mini 30 or SKS in 7.62x39mm or how about a M44 Mosin Nagant in 7.62x54R?

goon
March 30, 2008, 05:33 PM
35 Whelen - what kind of rifle is that?
Looks like a Mauser action.
I thought about getting an FR8 and trying to come up with some thing similar.

woof
March 30, 2008, 07:29 PM
Everybody talks about the cz carbine in x39 but that carbine in .223 is a joy. No you won't hunt deer with it but really there is no all purpose rifle nor should there be. See my post in best .223.

Napoleon_jo
March 30, 2008, 08:02 PM
Just posting to add, if you like your .22 mag, you could look at .243's too

squirrel sniper
March 30, 2008, 08:08 PM
How bout a 7.62x39 AR 15?

rbernie
March 30, 2008, 08:27 PM
How bout a 7.62x39 AR 15?They are The Bees Knees, so long as you don't mind being limited to MGW ten-round magazines. This 500lb hog was taken with a 7.62x39 16" AR15 with Sierra 125gr handloads.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=41166&d=1150376185

A lightweight 6.8SPC AR15 has the same or better ballistics and the advantage of 25rd mags. I'm probably phasing out the use of the 7.62x39 brush carbine in favor of one in 6.8SPC.

moewadle
March 30, 2008, 08:33 PM
called a Ranch Gun or the like? I know I sound really ignorant but I have seen this and the name of this carbine or rifle seems to imply something to toss in your pick-up or sling over your shoulder and be an all around utility gun. Check it out.

dscottw88
March 30, 2008, 08:42 PM
So everything from squirrels to hunting deer..... ok...well, i was going to go with a saiga in 223, but now i'm wondering if an M1 carbine might fit the role. Its nice and light, its a cheap round to shoot, they are pretty darn accurate out to 200 yards. You can't scope one easily though...

My options would be saiga, sks, or a carbine.

jpwilly
March 30, 2008, 08:49 PM
YUM that pig looks tasty!

james_bond
March 30, 2008, 08:49 PM
Yes sir, Mr. moewadle here you go

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdResults?function=famid&famid=31&variation=Target%20Grey%AE%20Frontier%20Rifle&bct=Yes&type=Rifle

35 Whelen
March 30, 2008, 09:49 PM
35 Whelen - what kind of rifle is that?
Looks like a Mauser action.
I thought about getting an FR8 and trying to come up with some thing similar.

GOON that was (is?) indeed an FR-8. Still in the original stock, albeit quite modified. It's my "if I could only have one rifle, rifle." ANd that's saying alot considering I own close to 20 centerfire rifles.
35W

Hokkmike
March 30, 2008, 09:57 PM
Here is mine: (yes - a cut and paste)

The Sako Finnlight

Sako's recently-introduced Finnlight is my favorite of the current Sakos. Light, handy, handsomely proportioned and ideally suited to hunting in the toughest conditions, the receiver, bolt, and barrel's stainless steel construction offers maximum corrosion resistance.

As with all Sako rifles, the stainless steel barrel of the Finnlight is made by cold hammer forging. Rather than being slimmed down to minimum dimensions as with other lightweights, it is made to standard size and then fluted to reduce weight, making for greater rigidity than a light barrel. Except for a short section just ahead of the receiver, the barrel is free-floated.

Three of the four receiver sizes are available in the Finnlight configuration. The medium (size III) action is offered in .243 Win., 7mm-08 Rem. and .308 Win. Barrel length is just over 20 inches and weight (empty, without scope, bases, or rings) is 6 pounds. The long action (size IV) is chambered for the .30-'06 and its offspring (.25-'06 Rem., .270 Win., .280 Rem.) plus the 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser, with a 21 inch barrel and a weight of 6.5 pounds. Two popular magnum cartridges, the 7mm Rem. and .300 Win, are available in the size V action, with 22 1/2 inch barrel and a weight of 7.5 pounds.

And here is my chosen caliber:

In Europe, and especially in Scandinavia, the 6.5x55 cartridge is ever popular. On this side of the pond, what the cartridge lacks in number of fans is made up for by their enthusiasm. It is an efficient cartridge, with light recoil and good ballistic performance. Fired at high velocities without excessive recoil, bullets in the 140 grain range in 6.5 caliber serve up high ballistic coefficients. And though American shooters haven't exactly flocked to the various 6.5s in the past, the .260 Rem., which was initially developed for metallic silhouette shooting, has gained a following with deer hunters who appreciate its fine combination of adequate power and light recoil.

The Finnlight in 6.5x55 has a rifling twist of 1:8 inches. Personally I don't see much need for bullets heavier than 140 grains in this caliber, but for shooters who like the classic long, lean 160 grain round-nose bullets, the quick twist should be adequate to stabilize them. The barrel throat is long enough to accept these bullets and the magazine, designed around the longer .30-'06 family, has plenty of space for the longer OAL of the 160 grain loads.

Top it off with a 2X7 or 3X9 quality scope of your choice and you are ready for groundhogs to moose!

armoredman
March 31, 2008, 11:51 AM
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/project12.jpg

redneckrepairs
April 1, 2008, 11:39 AM
The savage scout works fine for me , I just took a coyote out of my cattle herd yesterday at a little over 400 yards with mine . I have a few rifles but somehow that little scout just jumps in the pickup with me when i head out .

Firepower!
April 1, 2008, 12:13 PM
Against what you mentioned already...I would still say an AK or AKSU74, which my everyday rifle.

But if not that then I suggest semi auto M4 by Bushmaster or Ruger Mini 14.

If you enjoyed reading about "All Purpose Rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!