Kahr CW9 slide rail problems

PDA

craytonc
March 30, 2008, 10:38 PM
I bought a CW9 new about a month ago for carry, and have since been to the range 3 times, putting a little over 500 rounds through it.

Yesterday when cleaning it when I got home, I found that the slide wear problem I had noticed previously had suddenly turned into most of the right front slide rail being gone. Only a little of the middle is left, and it shows gouging as well.

This much wear cannot be typical. I had hoped the rails were metal impregnated, like my old Glock's, but as you can see, they aren't.

http://img.skitch.com/20080331-gf9pr7tesh2uk7xxgguaj839wj.jpg

Has anyone seen this type of wear before? I'm not too sure if I feel comfortable still carrying this as my defense sidearm. I know the rear rail on that side will keep the slide from failing, but to see the primary mating structures fail this quickly worries me.

If you enjoyed reading about "Kahr CW9 slide rail problems" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wally
March 31, 2008, 12:21 AM
Send it back to Kahr, that ain't right. My CW9 had defective front rails and failed in half a box of ammo. Well over 2000 rounds since its return and its been fine. Kahr was a little slow in getting it back to me, but the net result was satisfaction.

--wally.

rbernie
March 31, 2008, 12:36 AM
Are the rails really made of polymer with no metal reinforcement?

ieszu
March 31, 2008, 09:22 AM
Some of the Kahr's came from a bad batch of plastic.... the factory knows this.

I had a customer who bought a brand new one, and after 2 boxes the rails were so galled that the gun kept jamming....

Send it back to the factory and get a new one from them.... and pray the next one you or one of your friends get isn't from the same batch....

craytonc
March 31, 2008, 06:08 PM
I have an email into their customer service department right now, along with the picture. Hopefully I'll hear from them soon.

Yeah rbernie, just polymer. I was hoping they had metal underneath like a Glock, but it appears not.

Thanks again all, I was hoping for proof that there might have been a bad batch of polymer. I had heard they were supposed to be well made little pistols, this had hurt that image. I'll see how their customer service responds.

Chad

craytonc
April 2, 2008, 05:56 PM
Well, here is their response:

The poly rail is only used to guide the slide on the frame
The metal rail in front and blocks in the rear are your slide guide and main mounts
You can trim the excess poly off without affecting the performance

Kahr Arms

So just ignore your front rail disintegrating. Hmm, not sure how I feel about that.

Chad

tblt
April 2, 2008, 08:06 PM
I was going to buy a CW-9 glad I saw this and there response.

bigbadbowtie
April 6, 2008, 11:35 AM
I just bought one of these yesterday and am worried now.

The Lone Haranguer
April 6, 2008, 01:21 PM
I admit it doesn't look good, and my PM9 has no such wear, but this section of rail is not a structural part of the frame. I can actually pinch this section with my fingers and see it bend. The slide actually runs on metal rails that extend to the end of the frame, inside the dust cover (one of them is visible in the upper RH corner of the photo), and on the rear corner rails, which also have a steel insert.

craytonc
April 6, 2008, 01:34 PM
The Lone Haranguer is right. I've talked to some other people on the USCCA forum who have looked at my pictures and said they wouldn't worry. I'm about to go to the range again today, and as long as the back rails don't start getting the same problem, I'm going to keep shooting it. I've looked at the metal rails on the dust cover and the metal tabs at the back of the frame, and they still look to be in good order.

I'm not feeling as bad about this, I think the pistol is safe. I'm just not happy that I've gotten this sort of wear this quickly, but as long as it doesn't progress any more then we should be fine.

Chad

Vanzpp
June 11, 2008, 03:01 AM
My CW9 has the exact same rail configuration. (I bought it about 2 months ago, and it was like the picture when I bought it) I was worried about it at first, but the FAQ page on their web site states that the left and right rails are made to be irregular. I havent had a single problem with my CW9, and I've gotten 600 rounds through it.

http://www.kahr.com/OR-4.html#q22

Q. Part of the frame rail appears to be missing on my Kahr polymer pistol. Is this normal?

A. The top rails on the Kahr polymer pistol are designed to minimize stress. It may not appear to be symmetrical because of its design.

If you enjoyed reading about "Kahr CW9 slide rail problems" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!