How was your gun weekend?

PDA

ColinthePilot
March 31, 2008, 03:17 AM
So my weekend started Friday. One of the squadrons at my base hosts a POW reunion every year for former Prisoners of War from the Viet Nam conflict. So we had a presentation in the morning where 7 former POWs talked about their stays at the "Hanoi Hilton" and various other camps. Then for the rest of the day there were F-22's and a B-1 Bomber doing flybys and setting off car alarms :what: .

Now to the gun stuff.

Saturday, a friend and I went to the gun show in Live Oak, TX. Its not the biggest show around, but I picked up a stripped DPMS Lower and a few ammo cans. Total for the day was about $150. I came home, sat around with some friends and had a few beers in the beautiful 75 degree Texas evening.

I woke up Sunday planning to go shooting with my recent shipment of 7.62X54R. Just before I leave I get a phone call from a friend asking to go back over to the gun show to advise him on a new pistol. I have officially become the "gun guy." Dan has been hunting for years, but wants to get into pistols. Two other friends came along; Reggie, who has decent knowledge of gun theory, but little whats-good-to-buy type knowledge, and Rob, who is pretty much a total novice. So I was advising one serious buyer, talking about manufacturers with Reggie, who is in the market for a handgun, and teaching an interested newbie all about guns in general. At the same time, another friend was calling from Missouri for advice on Mosin Nagants at the gun show he was attending. I should start consulting.

Dan picked up a Smith & Wesson Model SW9GVE for $350 NIB with 4 mags and a $50 mail in rebate. Reggie picked up some brand recognition and a good list to research, and Rob entered the wonderful world of shooting.

At this point we went and picked up my guns and ammo, and I was very pleased that Dan, the seasoned hunter, went over the 4 rules with the other two guys before we even left for the range. I was planning to do cover them thoroughly at the range, but he beat me to the punch. He knows them as well as I do. We went to walmart for about 500rds of WWB 9mm, and it was off to the range.

At the range, the three amigos started on the pistol line with Dan's new toy, while I started up on the rifle range with a frequent range buddy, Justin. Eventually the others came down to the rifle line and enjoyed my Mosin, .22, Taurus 9mm, and Justin's 92FS, as well as another gentleman's Walther P22. I love the sense of belonging at the range that lets people offer their guns to others to try out.

The new guys had a great time. Whatever Dan taught them on the pistol line must have stuck, because both new shooters had excellent muzzle and trigger discipline when they got down to the rifle range.

Dan, Justin, and I had a gun cleaning party and a barbecue afterwards and finished out the night with a trip to the movies. It was a great weekend.

So how was everyone else's?

If you enjoyed reading about "How was your gun weekend?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Army
March 31, 2008, 08:44 AM
I got to shoot at least 150rnds from the M2 before we got around the corner. Teddy burned 2 boxes of 249, and 2 grenades too. SSG Alves now knows to not give anyone the finger during the firefight, but it's only a small nick. Lost my favorite Surefire, but I think its somewhere in the Hummer. Slept all day Sunday.

Ske1etor
March 31, 2008, 08:49 AM
Well, headed out to the local range yesterday and found out that one of the local NRA instructors is going to setup a CCW class for us. Then started helping a buddy clean an old M44 carbine. The previous owner shot corrosive ammo through it and never cleaned it. He also left it near a second story window in his bedroom and slept with the window open. Needless to say it didn't turn out as we had planned. We got the bore looking a bit better but it still needs some work. Then started fooling with a rusty old Remington 700. This thing is horribly rusted (I believe from hurricane water) and the bolt is locked tight. Honestly though, the remington walnut stock looks as good as new. We first tried soaking the action in CLP for a while and that didn't seem to help much. After about an hour or so of gentle coercing someone decided to attempt to open the bolt. Not much force was applied but the bolt handle broke completely off of the bolt. That one is now sitting at the gunsmith awaiting a new bolt handle/knob.

Visited a buddy and we decided to detail strip our 1911's. He is new to the 1911 world but has slightly better mechanical understanding than me. We got both firearms cleaned up and put back together. Safety checks and pencil tests and we were on our way.

It was a pretty good day considering I never even got around to shooting...

Seancass
March 31, 2008, 08:52 AM
I bought 400 rds of ammo. Then i didnt shoot any of it, even though a friend called me to go shooting.

i hate school.

moooose102
March 31, 2008, 08:57 AM
Well, My Weekend Was Mixed. I Bought A New Henry .22 Lever Rifle, But I Didnt Get A Chance To Shoot It. We Took Our Kids To Grandpa's For The Weekend. Spent Some Much Needed Time With The Other Half. And Lets Just Say A Different Gun Got Fired. Lol.

XDKingslayer
March 31, 2008, 08:58 AM
I wiped oil on all my guns. That was the extent of my gun weekend. Wife had to work this weekend so I was on kid duty.

bnkrazy
March 31, 2008, 08:58 AM
I went to the "range" Saturday with my wife. We did a lot of rifle work and the highlight of the day for me was picking off a 2 liter water bottle at 105-110 yds on the first shot with a SLR-95 while standing/no support. My dad couldn't believe it. He wants one of his own now.

xring44
March 31, 2008, 09:00 AM
I like to think my saturday was productive, I did CCL requalifications at our range saturday afternoon, I had 7 CCL holders to requal, 5 were average shooters, one exceptional, and one who needed lots of help. He was safe enough but his shooting was pitiful. I had him stay and spent some time with him, he left a much improved shooter and was apprecitive of my efforts.

In all it was a good day, Myself and a couple of friends spent another 2 hours shooting our favorite pistols at different distances....on a scale of 1-10, I'd give it a 8.

2nd 41
March 31, 2008, 09:00 AM
Weekend was good. Good & expensive. Bought 2 guns Sat.
A Browning BuckMark NRA & a Springfield Loaded. I needed these like a snail needs airbrakes. Uh...maybe a snail does need airbrakes

Landlocked Pirate
March 31, 2008, 09:04 AM
Didn't get a chance to shoot, but I did buy two more Marlin model 60's ywsterday for family members. Overall, a good gun weekend.

Avenger29
March 31, 2008, 09:11 AM
Went coyote hunting Saturday evening. No luck.

rocinante
March 31, 2008, 09:12 AM
Great. I, myself, some of my gun buddies went for a weekend of appleseed rifleman training.

ZeSpectre
March 31, 2008, 09:24 AM
Took my poor neglected Marlin 336 out and did some (for me) longer range shooting just to say I did it. Not awesome results but still fun to do.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b66/zespectre/150yardbench080329.jpg

axeman_g
March 31, 2008, 09:29 AM
"Army: I got to shoot at least 150rnds from the M2 before we got around the corner. Teddy burned 2 boxes of 249, and 2 grenades too. SSG Alves now knows to not give anyone the finger during the firefight, but it's only a small nick. Lost my favorite Surefire, but I think its somewhere in the Hummer. Slept all day Sunday."

Too funny, but I sincerely hope everyone in your team is ok. Thank you for what you are doing. I hope your SSG never moons anyone during a fight.

My gun weekend.... I finally cleared up my FFL issues and my soon to be Walther P99 will be shipped. Now I just have to wait for the damn state to return my purchase permit form.

Cleaned a Mossberg 500, 1970's vintage, 30" Full choked, vent rib barrel, that I picked up last week for cheap cheap. The metal, wood, trigger mechanism and action all cleaned up real well. Gun was not used much. This issue is the barrel. It just will not come as clean as I want it to. I brushed it out about 4 times and there is still some residue in there. I coated it as much as possible with CLP and am letting it sit overnight. Hopefully it will shine up to mirror quality later on.

I had alot of fun this weekend with my boys shooting traditional archery at my club. I have been shooting longbows for about 18 months now and have finally started to feel confident. My 7yo is still learning, but this was only his 4th time out. I bought my 4yo a little bow and suction cup set and he is so excited about it. I found him this morning placing all of his teddy bears and stuffed animals all over the house and having himself a little indoor 3d shoot. He was too funny. He is a total ruffian. My wife has started calling him Hiawatha.

All in all, a great weekend even if I did not get to shoot at all.

Hokkmike
March 31, 2008, 10:35 AM
So my weekend started Friday. One of the squadrons at my base hosts a POW reunion every year for former Prisoners of War from the Viet Nam conflict. So we had a presentation in the morning where 7 former POWs talked about their stays at the "Hanoi Hilton" and various other camps. Then for the rest of the day there were F-22's and a B-1 Bomber doing flybys and setting off car alarms

Sounds great. It would be a privlege to meet these men. My thanks to them. I was a Viet Nam era serviceman but never was assigned out of CONUS. I have not yet seen my first F-22 up close!

I went to 2 guns stores with a good friend searching for that vintage lever action carbine. We did no shooting but priced and played with guns. I came up with a lot of cash through the purchase of one of my older unused rifle so I am looking with the intent to buy. Great fun.

No shooting actually - sorry to say.

Eric F
March 31, 2008, 10:53 AM
I was going to shoot the 50-90 yesterday but it was rain snow sleet mix then rain so I loaded bullets all day.

K3
March 31, 2008, 10:55 AM
Last night sucked. I was rearranging my reloading bench, and dumbass that I am, I overloaded the shelf. Boxes of bullets tumbling everywhere.

Sorting through that mess was.... fun.

Didja know bullets contain lead and are deceptively heavy in bulk? :banghead:

Pilot
March 31, 2008, 10:56 AM
Then for the rest of the day there were F-22's and a B-1 Bomber doing flybys and setting off car alarms

Now THAT sounds like FUN!

:D

bnkrazy
March 31, 2008, 10:59 AM
I forgot to mention that a friend came over Sunday afternoon and the conversation turned to guns. He doesn't currently have any but did grow up around them, so I pulled out a few and let him see and compare them. He's looking to buy one for home defense, and so it looks like I'll have one more person to go shooting with as will my wife as he said his wife is interested as well. Good times.

Cyclimus
March 31, 2008, 11:44 AM
I'd rate mine fairly high, didn't get a chance to shoot but did hit the local show (less than 5 minutes from my house - it's like living in Vegas if you have a gambling problem!) Picked up a new DPMS Panther in 5.56/.223 She's fairly minimalistic, but she's all mine. }:)

WayneConrad
March 31, 2008, 11:45 AM
K3, Sounds like the reloading closet of Phineas J. Whoopee! :)

I had a spectacular gun weekend. Shot pistol with dad, then after he left, shot a bunch of Fred's Quick 'n Dirty AQT targets (http://www.fredsm14stocks.com/catalog/acc.asp) to get myself limbered up for the the Tonopah Appleseed (http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=350860) (plug!).

For the first time ever, I cleaned the offhand stage. I have no idea what happened. Offhand has always seemed impossibly wobbly. I didn't have some epiphany. I didn't go to the range with some new technique in my head, or having read some article, or something. I had just been practicing some. Not even a lot. I just shot this stage, went downrange to check the target, and saw someone else's group on my target.

Then I did it again. Your brain rewires itself when you're not looking, I guess. Then I get tired, or complacent, and started throwing shots into the 4's. But I brought home this target to remind myself that I should never settle for less than 50 points on stage 1, ever again. 25 yards, 10 shots standing in 2 minutes:

http://lh3.google.com/wconradaz/R_EBBs9T9BI/AAAAAAAAAWs/lVryVoA8Z-I/s800/offhand_perfect_score.jpg

Then on Sunday, I went shooting with the autistic kid's dad (http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=350221) to get him studied up on gun safety and familiarization. It was a beautiful day, and a great day to spend with an old friend in the outdoors, and went splendidly.

Dad, a high score, an old friend and a good cause. Can't ask for better than that.

SsevenN
March 31, 2008, 11:55 AM
Fun. I took out the new CW9 and ran 200 rounds through it. While doing this a gentleman and his two kids, about 30 yards away were shooting at compressed Oxygen Tanks with a AR-15... Lemme just say you KNOW whem you hit one of those!:eek:

K3
March 31, 2008, 12:12 PM
Fun. I took out the new CW9 and ran 200 rounds through it. While doing this a gentleman and his two kids, about 30 yards away were shooting at compressed Oxygen Tanks with a AR-15... Lemme just say you KNOW whem you hit one of those!

Only 30 yards?

Here, hold my beer and watch this....

BamaXD
March 31, 2008, 12:22 PM
Went to the range on sunday, me and a buddy. Finally got to shoot my AR-15 with the new ACE Ultra-Lite stock on it, and I am very impressed by it, love the feel of it. Also took the much neglected WASR-10 out, and fired off a few magazines through it. Then, it was barbeque and beer for lunch. A good day all in all...

Guy B. Meredith
March 31, 2008, 12:25 PM
Hmmm... Well, I went to the range still wearing pants with ankles caked in mud from being out tracking with the dog.

This is bigger than you might think. I went from active competition a few years back to home owner with a lot of renovation to do and a corresponding reduction in time and money for shooting. Then we got a dog and somehow got involved in filling non-essential time with agility, tracking, obedience, dog parks and attempting to get into herding.

The last chance I had to go to the range was sometime back in September or October of last year so I used this Saturday to break in this year's new membership card. I took the M-1, the PC627 V-Comp, the M66, the 686+ and ammo for the Mossberg 500--forgot the Mossberg. :banghead:

I also took along some .357 magnum hand loads pushing a 158 gr copper plated bullet close to 1400 fps that I had questions about in terms of pressure and bullets' plating being able to handle the speed.

All the spotting scopes were in use so I settled on the 15 yard pistol range and then found out I'd forgotten my binoculars. :fire: (I can barely discern holes in the white areas, but have to make a single big hole in the black to see anything without magnification.) This fact is important as I can't see the bullet holes past 7 yards and this meant that I would have to wait out the firing periods to check the target. Usually I speed thing up by using the spotting scope to check groups. The extra time meant that the spiders retained their residence in the M-1 for now.

The upside is that I could not see many holes in the target so they were mostly in the black. At target check the "groups" were okay, but I had gotten impatient so there were overlapping groups making it hard to make an honest appraisal.

The .357 magnums grouped as well or better than the .38 spls., but the way the paper was punched made me wonder what the bullets looked like as they passed through--less crisp edges than the .38 spls.

All in all, though, it was nice to be back. :)

cleardiddion
March 31, 2008, 12:25 PM
Got myself a new range toy:
Marlin 60 with a tapoco 3x9 scope for $100.
Sold my mossberg 500 at the orlando show for the price I wanted.
Got a ton of ammo (mostly .22 and some 8mm).
Good weekend

Mr White
March 31, 2008, 12:36 PM
Good and bad.
The good: I practiced offhand shooting with my AR and shot a few decent strings. I think I'm starting out better this year than last.

The Bad: My Taurus pistol broke. I started getting FTFs with WWB ammo, which is odd for that gun.. Noticed light primer strikes on the FTF rounds. Took it apart and found that the firing pin was binding somehow. My guess is a broken pin or spring. In the course of messing around with it, I broke the ejector finger.

serrano
March 31, 2008, 01:11 PM
I went out to the range a drizzly Sunday morning with a good buddy from college to put 200 rounds of Serbian ammo through my recently purchased SU-16 - defying all reports to the contrary, my rifle performed flawlessly. I was putting up 6 inch groups at 125 yards from the bench with the stock iron sights... that rear sight is terrible by the way, more of a ghost ring than anything else... unfortunately the only weaver peep sight I can find that sits low enough is an $80 NECG piece... I may break down and buy it and see what kind of accuracy I can get with only iron sights - I have no interest in putting optics on this handy and light rifle.

I also tried to give some basic instruction to my buddy on pistols - I brought out my P6 and a couple hundred rounds of 9mm... it was a great day. :)

Magic_Man
March 31, 2008, 03:09 PM
Went to the range w/my gf on Friday night and put 200 rounds through my M&P. Then was bored on Sunday afternoon so I went for a solo trip to the range & anotehr 200 rounds went through her.

I am using the large grip. I think this is the problem w/my shooting being so inconsistent so I will try the medium next.

geim druth
March 31, 2008, 03:10 PM
Saturday I went down to the range at the Fort Dix Rod & Gun Club for an hour's shooting. Beautiful day, a little windy. Most of the stations were filled, but I didn't need to wait at all. My usual shooting partner, my 17 year-old son, was off with my wife.

I put 60 rounds through the Remington 7600 that I bought 2 weeks ago. Accuracy was pretty good, very good for me. I did better shooting off hand than from the bench, and better standing (3 in the bull's eye at 100 yards!) than seated.
In the end, the wind turned my 100 yards target sideways, I hit it 2 out 5 shooting at it edge on.

I wanted to stop at the Army-Navy store in Robbinsville, but had to go back to work. All in all, a good day, and am very happy with the rifle. Wish I could shoot every weekend, heck I wish I could shoot every day!

evilelvis
March 31, 2008, 04:14 PM
Fixed my XD 45 and it fired off all the rounds that it had a soft impact in the primer a couple of weeks ago. But then I had 3 rounds misfeed, but the magazine seems pretty soft to me so that may have been a magazine issue.

It's still not going back under my bed yet until I am 100% confident again.

Range was packed so I left after about 45 mins because people were waiting (it was closed for Easter)

Picked up a flyer for ladies only NRA basic pistol course that my girlfriend is going to take.

Daydreamed about winning the lottery and what my gun safe would look like.

f4t9r
March 31, 2008, 04:33 PM
mine started with surgery and ended in depression. I will be back shooting in about 4 months.

SSN Vet
March 31, 2008, 04:36 PM
http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=352238

SSN Vet
March 31, 2008, 04:38 PM
The Bad: My Taurus pistol broke. I started getting FTFs with WWB ammo, which is odd for that gun.. Noticed light primer strikes on the FTF rounds. Took it apart and found that the firing pin was binding somehow. My guess is a broken pin or spring. In the course of messing around with it, I broke the ejector finger.

I had a similar problem with my DAO PT-111....

doesn't seem to like WWB...

I dowsed a lot of solvent down the firing pin hole and it seemed to solve the problem, though I've since switched over to Rem. UMC.

The Lone Haranguer
March 31, 2008, 05:17 PM
Saturday: Went to an outdoor expo. Several gun makers had tables set up and were letting people shoot, but it was too crowded. I did get a look at one of those new Ruger LCPs - nice looking gun. There was also a Jeep demo, with various Jeep models going around an obstacle course with steep inclines, rocks, logs and a simulated stream to ford. The newly designed Liberty was a nice-looking ride. After that it was to the range with my Glock 19 and two Smiths - a M&P pistol and an "old-school" DAO 6946.

Sunday: Went to a gun show in Tucson, but it was pretty much a dud. I spent some time exploring the nearby countryside.

3fgburner
March 31, 2008, 05:20 PM
Saturday, out to the Jefferson Forest range behind Blacksburg, with some buddies from a science-fiction convention. Yesterday, stopped and shot trap on the way home. Note to self: Shooting a couple rounds of trap after driving 250 miles on 3 hours of sleep, makes for crappy scores.

doc540
March 31, 2008, 05:28 PM
I was on the freeway and 30 miles away from home yesterday with my two Smith's all boxed up and ready to horse trade at the Pasadena gun show.

Then I had a "moment".

Took an exit off the freeway, turned around and called me wife from my cell.

I told her to get dressed, and that I was taking her to shop for clothes I knew she needed.

An hour later my guns were back in their holsters, and I pal'ed around the rest of the evening with my wonderful wife, a once-in-a-lifetime partner and hottie.

Spent $115 where it really needed to be spent.

Guns and shows are a dime a dozen. She ain't. ;)

graybeard321
March 31, 2008, 05:28 PM
myself and 2 coworkers (one for first time) went shooting clays. Would have been great day if the Browing A5 12 light I had just picked up had worked. Shot nice just didn't eject and load next shell.

WayneConrad
March 31, 2008, 05:45 PM
doc540, dang. Made me all teary eyed.

You ain't dime a dozen, that's fer sure. Nicely done.

SsevenN
March 31, 2008, 05:47 PM
Quote:
Fun. I took out the new CW9 and ran 200 rounds through it. While doing this a gentleman and his two kids, about 30 yards away were shooting at compressed Oxygen Tanks with a AR-15... Lemme just say you KNOW whem you hit one of those!

Only 30 yards?

Here, hold my beer and watch this....

Let me re-phrase, 30 yards away adjacent to me....whew!

Deer Hunter
March 31, 2008, 05:48 PM
Went to my first IDPA contest and got to borrow a nice fella's custom AR-15 for a rifle shoot. :)

Now I'm going to be putting money toward guns AND stuff for IDPA.

So I guess it was bittersweet?

skinewmexico
March 31, 2008, 05:58 PM
The Bad - spent the weekend reloading 6.5x47L ammo, and trying to figure out why I was shooting 6' high with a 20 MOA base.

The really Bad - put on a 0 MOA base, and finally figured out I had my scope adjustment turned all the way up, instead of down.

The Good - took my 14 year old son to our 500m F-Class shoot, and he tied me shooting Black Hills out of my 223. Probably would have beat me with the 6.5.

poopile
March 31, 2008, 06:01 PM
We had a bag of dead orphans from last weekend, so we tossed some in the pond to shoot with the pistols. (If you ever come shoot with us, don't swim in the pond bare-footed:D) Then I fired a few rounds to check the zero on my Remy model 7, just in case we decided to go coyote hunting Sunday morning. Ended the day with some rounds through the ol' Romy AK. Then polished off a few brews. All in all, had a pretty good weekend.

siglite
March 31, 2008, 06:04 PM
I had a similar problem with my DAO PT-111....

doesn't seem to like WWB...

I dowsed a lot of solvent down the firing pin hole and it seemed to solve the problem, though I've since switched over to Rem. UMC.

Hey, I had the same problem with a PT111 mil-pro. Frustrated, and my confidence in the pistol shaken, I sold it to a buddy for $150.

About a week later I got a call. "Dude, that was the best handgun purchase I've ever made."

"Whyzzat?"

"The firing pin channel was all gummed up with some gooey crud. I ran a bunch of solvent through it, and this black goop poured out. That thing runs like a top now."

I suspect Taurus is leaving some kind of shipping/storage goop in those things that's causing the firing pin channels to gum up.

Now to my weekend:

Had a great day saturday. Spent it with my 11y/o ringing a 10"x10" steel plate at the 100yd line with an SKS and a .22. The little ***** outshot me with the SKS too. I had more misses than he did. Though, I was more accurate with the .22.

Really though, I'm kind of proud of him. He was drawing a crowd ringing that plate from the offhand and no sling with a rifle that's nearly as big as he is. They were kind of smirking and laughing at the recoil driving him back. That is, until they heard "plonk!" shot after shot when he rang that plate that most of 'em said they couldn't even see.

Rokyudai
March 31, 2008, 06:14 PM
I had a good gun weekend too, Colin. I was at the Live Oak Show as well. They certainly did have a good price on those ammo cans. My parents came to visit from NY this past week and my father was itching to get to a show that was larger than the ones he has been familiar with attending. We have been planning it for a few months trying to coincide a visit with a local gunshow circuit. Unfortunately Rodeo took up the Freeman last month. Having his eyes wide and head on a swivel made me feel happy. It renewed my optimism for sure.

He picked up a nice CRKT folder and I picked up some ArrowHead Jerky....lady was out of bucksticks :cuss: ! We looked at quite a few guns new and old as we sipped our gunshow coffee (I believe it is 1 part coffee 8 parts water but anyway).

He does not often speak of his former service in the Army but being at these shows is really therapeutic. Something as simple as a canteen or a pack makes him start reminiscing about patrols or how he came home late from a impromptu party (which was in a burned out vietcong hut) only to meet two paled soldiers on the same road with weapons leveled at them. After a brief err...introduction and identification, they found that the other company heard the noise from the hut, thinking it was reoccupied, were planning to mortar it! :eek:

My jaw picks up and he simply says, "yep, it wasn't the smartest moments of my life, but someone was watching my rear!" :D

No guns for me, but a great story and quality time with the old man can go a long way.

Big Duke Six
March 31, 2008, 06:18 PM
I had to work Sunday, but when I got home, my wife said "let's go to the range". Now, mind you, she's never shot a gun before.
I took out my Ruger single six and Mark II, my M-1 carbine, and my newly aquired Swede M-38.
I started her out on the six- shooter, and she loved it! Loaded up the target pistol and she took a turn on that. She put 6 out of 10 on the target-pretty good for a first time shooter.
Oh yeah.... the carbine and the Swede were a lot of fun too!

joshk-k
March 31, 2008, 06:33 PM
Today is my only weekend day, and so far it's been great! I was going to Lowe's for some flashing and chicken wire, and noticed that a large outdoors store next door was having an anniversary sale. I went over, got a new pair of Carhartts, and then went looking at ammo.

A 250 round bulk pack of Remington .40S&W normally costs $80 there. Today, it was on sale for $75 (which breaks down to $15/box, not bad). But the have a competitor next door, who I promptly called up, asked for the hunting dept., and asked if they could beat $15/box. They said that they could do $14. I went to the counter in the first store and told them that their neighbor could do $14/box, and that if they could bring the price down to that, I'd buy it here along with the pants and some 20 gauge buckshot. The clerk wrote a note for me to take up to the counter that said "Take $10 off this box. Price match with Store B."

So I go to get rung up. The box rings up at the sale price, and then gets $10 off (so now we're at $65). The general sale at the store, though, is $25 off any purchase over $100, although it does not apply to ammo, firearms, and some other stuff. But, when all is said and done, my total was over $100, and she took off $25.

The final tally: I just picked up 250 rounds of Remington .40S&W for $40. Now I've just got to make it last!

Josh

Moonclip
March 31, 2008, 06:34 PM
Saturday went to a gun show, bought a box of .45acp ammo and found a Pachmayr grip for a Colt New Service for $20 which is very hard to find. Original grip was missing and all I had was a huge target thumbrest grip.

Show otherwise sucked. Went to a few other gunshops, nothing interesting. Also picked up a Norinco .45acp 1911a1 I had got 11 days before, I live in a waiting period state. Sunday I just stayed home, nothing too gun related except for reading Combat Handguns magazine and showing my neighbor the Norinco.

briansp82593
March 31, 2008, 06:38 PM
I went to the "range" Saturday with my wife. We did a lot of rifle work and the highlight of the day for me was picking off a 2 liter water bottle at 105-110 yds on the first shot with a SLR-95 while standing/no support. My dad couldn't believe it. He wants one of his own now.
Which range did you go to?
I pulled a similar shot, Ruger mark two, 110 yards, mt dew can, standing up unsupported, cheap federal bulk pack, 2 shots put it down.. Those are some nice rifles though

bnkrazy
March 31, 2008, 07:35 PM
Quote:
Which range did you go to?
I pulled a similar shot, Ruger mark two, 110 yards, mt dew can, standing up unsupported, cheap federal bulk pack, 2 shots put it down.. Those are some nice rifles though

It was family land...out near Montpelier if you're familiar with the area. Do you shoot somewhere near? Sometimes I go to Dominion, but I hate indoors so that's rare.

K3
March 31, 2008, 07:38 PM
Let me re-phrase, 30 yards away adjacent to me....whew!

Still sounds better than dropping all my reloading crap on the garage floor. :D

Blackbeard
March 31, 2008, 07:49 PM
I practiced for an hour on Saturday, preparing for the mini-pin tournament on Sunday, which I ended up taking 1st place in the iron-sights class and 3rd overall, out of maybe 30 entries.

Pretty good weekend.

Fred Fuller
March 31, 2008, 07:52 PM
It was awfully ho-hum, really. I carried a J-frame Smith for more than 600 miles on the road, in two states, going to pick up the in-laws and visit my wife's uncle, who was suffering from a broken leg. Overnight the Smith sat undisturbed on the hotel bedside stand along with the flashlight, now that we're home it's still in my pocket.

Same thing with the P3AT my wife carried.

Oh, and the 18" barreled 870 that rode along in a soft case in the back of the car never even saw daylight till we got it back home.

Boooooring.

Just the way we like it...

lpl/nc

azredhawk44
March 31, 2008, 08:06 PM
Shot 2MOA at 300 yards with my 4x scoped M1A from prone. 10 shots, six inches.

Huddog
March 31, 2008, 08:44 PM
My gun weekend was nonexistent. Too much other stuff got in the way.

alexanderplatz
March 31, 2008, 09:35 PM
I went to the range and again had the place all to myself except for a friendly guy that dropped by to try out some tracers from his 9 mm. (Interesting.) put about 100 rounds through the CZ 452 Lux, and felt like my groups at 25 and 50 yards were pretty decent and definitely improved from my previous trip. shot a few clips at targets at 100 and 125 yards.

15 rounds at an 8" target at 100 yards, open sights:
http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/237/222tn5.jpg

CannonFodder
March 31, 2008, 09:58 PM
I spent a productive day at the range on Saturday punching out the center of my target in a big, ragged hole.

Today, I went to Wallyworld and stocked up before the price increase tomorrow. Also, I was feeling awful from this flu I've contracted, so I got myself a treat.

I love Wallyworld. Where else can you get 1500 rounds in multiple calibres and a box of hot cocoa mix at the same time?

ralphie98
March 31, 2008, 10:14 PM
Went to the range on saturday for the first time since late December. Just haven't been in the mood to go lately I guess. Renewed my membership for another year, then put a couple hundred down range through the .22, 9mm, .40 and .45. Stopped off at Wal-Mart to stock up on .22 again, and got one of those rotisserie chickens (I love walmart too... just can't help it).

Got home to clean out the guns, and while taking my Glock 34 down the recoil spring suddenly goes flying.... they're not supposed to do that. Managed to wear out the end of the guide rod so the spring was no longer captured. On the bright side, it meant I got to do some shopping so off to midwayusa.com I went. While I was on there, I decided to pick up a new guide rod, recoil spring and recoil spring plug for my 1911 so I could get rid of the full length guide rod and the need to have a wrench to take it apart.

When I was done shopping, I sorted my range brass for reloading and fired up the tumbler. That pretty much covers my weekend. Didn't seem like much at the time, but now that I think about it, my weekend was quite eventful.

jburg61
April 1, 2008, 02:15 AM
150 thru the USPc .40
250 thru the SKS
250 thru the Marlin .22

I think the bro in law and his buddy are going to be $700 poorer this week after feelin' a couple mags of 40 S&W.

TurboJeff
April 1, 2008, 09:23 AM
Great weekend. On Friday, I picked up a P32 kel tec for the wife to use as a BUG. Her primary is a G23.

On Saturday, I bought a new Para 1911 SSP in the dark blue finish. I also bought a Galco JIT OWB holster and a matching Galco double mag pouch.

I also picked up some ammo in .45, .357 magnum, and .32 auto.

In addition, we bought my wife an 06 Jeep Liberty with low mileage. This is to replace her car that she totaled about a month ago.

Icing on the cake...The Memphis Tigers beat Texas to earn a spot in the Final Four. Go Tigers!

rjohnson4405
April 1, 2008, 09:50 AM
Put a used Sig 229 on layaway for my birthday in a month, put an identical one on layaway for my brother who returns from overseas in a week, and my shooting buddy bought a LIGHTLY used sig 229 equinox that is awesome!

Then cleaned everything and played HALO.

Good day!
-rjohnson4405

If you enjoyed reading about "How was your gun weekend?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!