Curiosity

PDA

USMCDK
March 31, 2008, 05:15 AM
I have a dumb question...

One what is a troll on this site??? Two: (Statement/question) I think I make people a lil uneasy around here, it seems that once I post something I.e. Opinion or fact, in a thread people stop posting in it or if I create a new thread not many people post at all. am I making people uneasy with me or am I just being delusional about it???

If you mods have to lock this thread I will understand...

Thanks respectively,

USMCDK

If you enjoyed reading about "Curiosity" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim March
March 31, 2008, 05:29 AM
"Troll" on any forum means somebody who posts "out there" stuff designed purely to stir up strong emotions. The worst form of trolling (and I believe the term is related more to dragging a baited hook in the water to see what bites) is when the troll posting doesn't believe the wild concepts being put forward.

It's unfortunate, but some people literally enjoy being thought of as scum, and being hated. The single most infamous example has to be the Westborough Baptist Church (hint: "God Hates...", funeral pickets, etc.) but on the internet, trolls are one example and in online gaming "griefers" are another.

USMCDK
March 31, 2008, 05:37 AM
I think that answers pretty much both of my questions and I don't want to be known as a troll. SO HEY MOD GUYS LOCK AND OR DELETE THE HECK OUTTA THIS THREAD PLEASE!!!!

Seancass
March 31, 2008, 11:08 AM
i get that all the time. Thats why my sig says I kill threads. I always seem to be the last one to post, like i'm late for the party.

The Bushmaster
March 31, 2008, 11:27 AM
USMCDK don't sweat it...Lots of people start or end posts and get no responce. No big deal...:)

And on ocasion I could be concidered a "troll" too...Some times people just "T" me off...:evil:

h0ss
March 31, 2008, 11:48 AM
i get that all the time. Thats why my sig says I kill threads. I always seem to be the last one to post, like i'm late for the party.

glad to see im not the only one! for the longest time i felt like the guy who would walk into the room and everyone stops talking or gets up and leaves. haha

CWL
March 31, 2008, 01:39 PM
USMCDK,

Welcome to THR! I just scrolled thru a couple of your postings and they didn't seem to be "trollish" in nature, in fact, you seem outright friendly. The reason why you may not see too many postings or responses may be because some of ones you have taken part in are ones which have already been discussed many many times. You do have some strong opinions but everyone here has them.

IF you were a troll and started here by dragging your knuckles thru the postings, I'm sure the Mods would have already PM'd you a warning.

Mal H
March 31, 2008, 03:36 PM
USMCDK - You can chalk up the thread-killer syndrome to a little bit of paranoia. I've felt it also. I would add an innocuous post to a thread and then it would die for days or even weeks. Hmmm, I asked myself, is it something I said? I think that's happened to just about everyone at one time or another.

Don't worry about the troll thing. True members in good standing of the Brotherhood of the Troll don't have to ask if they are trolls.

nalioth
March 31, 2008, 03:49 PM
Definitive Guide to Internet Trolls (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1032102&postcount=1)

Seancass
March 31, 2008, 06:45 PM
Mal, its because you're an Admin. Nobody wants to one-up the admin. They'll whip out the ban stick and show the forum who's boss.

Mal H
March 31, 2008, 07:32 PM
Nobody wants to one-up the admin.I've never noticed that to be true!

So, Seancass, not including today, how long have you been a member of THR?

:)

BullfrogKen
March 31, 2008, 08:13 PM
Sean, it happened to me all the time, too . . . before I was invited to the Staff. It still happens on occasion.

USMCDK, just don't take it personally.

If you were a troll, you'd be gone by now.

bensdad
March 31, 2008, 08:23 PM
I always thought it was just me. I hate it when I post in a topic, check it later, and there's crickets chirping.

Nobody wants to one-up the admin.

I must not be trying. I've never gotten the ban. Been scolded a couple of times (never deserved it:neener::D), but never banned.

USMCDK
April 1, 2008, 12:54 AM
Thanks Guys I feel a hell of alot better and thank you CWL for the compliment I really try not to blow people outta the water here for what they think or say, though sometimes it is necessary to give them a lil what's for, more often I try to understnad their side and find a way to agree with them if not gently nudge them into the right direction. Don't get me wrong ugys I am FAR from expert with firearms knowledge, but I know enough not to get me or others killed and to stay in the game with some of the best and talk the talk to walk the walk.

Admins and MODS you guys are the greatest here. I just told Nikon777 that we are all happy to have him here after he'd been kicked from the SIG forum cause of a crappy MOD. Heck I used to be on a forum called DiscussAnything.com and let me tell you about the trolling there.

I like it here a THR it's a crowd I really get into. Thank again one and all see you in my next thread.

"The Stats are In"

The Wiry Irishman
April 1, 2008, 02:10 PM
As far as threads you start dying, I noticed the same thing. It's all in the title. After you read a bit of THR, you start to realize what kind of titles people click on, and what goes to the bottom of the stack.

Live and learn.

USMCDK
April 7, 2008, 12:47 AM
Like this thread for instance... it was at the bottom till I trolled it up.

No seriously though thank you guys for all the helpful words and uplifting advise I will tak e everything you have said to heart and use it to make better threads and judgment calls on post that I make.

Thanks once again.

BTW MODS AND ADMINS if you feel the need to lock this thread, I thinks it's cool. I do believe that this is a dead thread. So lock and key please??? Thanks

USMCDK

If you enjoyed reading about "Curiosity" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!