Rechamber a Swede Mauser to 6.5-'06 Ackley Improved?

PDA

Futo Inu
August 11, 2003, 04:54 PM
Is the '96 action safe to handle a little more pressure of the Ackley improved round (or a similar wildcat made from .270 brass)? Thanks. I want to be safe but wouldn't mind a little more oomph from the rifle. It's a M96 with bbl cut down to 21".

If you enjoyed reading about "Rechamber a Swede Mauser to 6.5-'06 Ackley Improved?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jem375
August 11, 2003, 05:16 PM
I don't think the M96 action is as strong as a lot of other mausers........I am going to reload for it and am not going to go overboard in velocity............

Gewehr98
August 11, 2003, 05:25 PM
Get yourself a properly-inspected (that means Magnafluxed, too) Large Ring 98 Mauser action, it's equivalent, or better yet, go with current manufacture long actions like the Remington 700, Winchester 70, Ruger 77, Sako, Howa, Tikka, etc.

The 6.5-06 Ackley Improved, and it's cousin, the 6.5mm Gibbs, are a whole order of magnitude greater in pressure than the relatively sedate 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser. Definitely not a "little more pressure" as you mentioned in your post. Closer, in fact, to .264 Winchester Magnum pressures, than .270 Winchester or 6.5x64 Brenneke.

Small Ring Mausers like the M93, M94, M95, and M96 actions don't have the extra third safety locking lug, the gas flange on the bolt shroud, and the receiver ring dimensions are less beefy. The metallurgy is different, they were designed for the relatively low-pressure 7.65x53 Mauser, 7x57 Mauser, and 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser rounds.

Just to confuse the issue, there are some Small Ring 98 Mausers out there, including the particularly collectible G33/40 carbine, and the Mexican short-action, Small Ring 98 Mauser. These actions are still considered 98 Mauser actions, they include the extra safety lug and gas flange bolt shroud.

That doesn't mean you cannot physically build a 6.5-06 Ackley Improved on Swedish M96 Mauser action, and shoot to your heart's content without so much as a scratch on your person, but why take the chance?

Something else to consider: Why the 6.5-06 Ackley Improved? I'd recommend trying a standard 6.5-06, it's already a leap ahead in performance from the 6.5x55 Swedish. When 140gr bullets at 3000fps, or 120gr bullets at 3200fps, no longer excite you, and you really want to shorten your barrel life, by all means, punch out the chamber to the Ackley Improved version, or the Rocky Gibbs version. ;)

Futo Inu
August 11, 2003, 05:36 PM
Ahh, thank you - very informative - but it sounds like even the regular 6.5-'06 would be a no-no as well in a 96 action? Or did you mean: why not the 6.5-'06, in a different gun?

mete
August 11, 2003, 05:59 PM
You say nothing about the age of the M96, is it 100 years old ? Even the newer ones are old and therefore SAAMI has lowered the pressures. It's just not a good idea to soup up the M96. Having hunted with the 6.5x55 for many years I can say that there isn't anything wrong with the cartridge. If you want to have a faster 6.5 you might look into a the 6.5-284 which is popular in the 1000 yd game , more accurate than the faster 6.5 s such as the 6.5-06 AI.

Jim Watson
August 11, 2003, 06:16 PM
I doubt a 6.5-06 would fit the magazine of a '96 Swede, the case alone is 8mm = .31" longer.

You shouldn't rechamber a 6.5 Swede for a '06 family case, the head diameter is larger and will give bulged brass.

All those wildcats are handloading propositions with loads developed in at least '98 Mausers, how would you know when to stop with the weaker '96?

How has the Swede failed you to need more oomph? The Swedish alg (Euro elk, looks like a moose.) seem not to complain much.

Futo Inu
August 11, 2003, 07:29 PM
K. It has not failed me in any sense - this has to do with "fun with the chrony" is all - ballistic curiosity. I shall not try anything of the sort in this gun, however - lol.

Jim K
August 11, 2003, 09:25 PM
A lot of ideas get explored here, but this is not a great one. Gewehr98 is correct; that change would not only be costly and difficult, it would be a disaster looking for a place to happen. I doubt any responsible gunsmith would do the work.

Jim

Gewehr98
August 11, 2003, 09:31 PM
I meant the 6.5-06 or 6.5-284 in a different (stronger) action than the M96 Swede.

And I take exception to Mete's blanket statement that the 6.5-284 is more acccurate than the 6.5-06AI or plain 6.5-06. Especially since the latter, and older, wildcat has been winning 1000 yard competitions for a lot longer than the relatively young 6.5-284. I've got sub-1/4 MOA groups that demonstrate that, and a lovely golf ball at 500 meters mounted in a ferocious, lifelike pose, just like the day it gave it's life in a long-range rifle match. The one good thing the 6.5-284's got going for it is that it can be used in a Remington 700 short action, but only if short or deep-seated bullets are used, which negates some of the extra powder capacity offered by that fat, rebated rim case.

Given a decent barrel, namely, Krieger, Obermeyer, Hart, or Shilen, you'll get outstanding accuracy from either 6.5mm chambering. Or is this one of those tired old ".308 Winchester is more accurate than .30-06 Springfield" arguments?

Now, Futo, if you wanna play with some serious powder-burning, I've got a 6.5-300 Weatherby Magnum, and am getting ready to build a 6.5-300 Remington Ultra Mag. Put a 155gr Sierra Match King in the old ballistics software if you wanna see some neat numbers.

Truthfully, I went the ballistic computer route myself when I started into the 500-1000 yard long-range rifle game. But we weren't playing with the benchrest crowd, it was more of a Palma-match/countersniper exercise. Recoil during a typical 1000-yard match, using the big .30 caliber belted magnums, was punishing over the course of 80-100 rounds. That's when a friend and I started plugging 6.5mm bullets into the exterior ballistics software. It was an eye-opener, those long telephone-pole bullets generated some impressive BC numbers out of the 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser. When given a bigger boiler room, like the 6.5-284 and 6.5-06, we knew our 1000 yard cartridge search was over, with a minimum of recoil as an added benefit.

We built a prototype on a Mexican 1910 Mauser action, and it performed just like the computer said it would, within a scope turret click or two of what the ballistics software said the zero should be at a given range. My buddy still owns the prototype. With that info, I built my gun, using a Krieger barrel and a 1916 Haenel Mauser action. It's been an absolute delight, albeit expensive:

http://mauser98.com/interdiction.html

Selfdfenz
August 11, 2003, 10:33 PM
I think the respondents have covered the "why not too" part.

If you want an inexpensive rifle to work up to a ?-06 you might keep an eye open for a Remington 78 in 30-06. They are out of print now but show up a gunshows from time to time. Sometimes pretty cheap.
Real plain-jane unit but the bolt face is already 06 and the mag box is 06 length. The original stocks are pretty plain so its not like you are cutting into a 300$ piece of wood when you float a thicker tube on it.

Of couse I'm not a gunsmith or lawyer and any advice I give here is just based on the SWAG formula and what I've seen others do with their 78s using the SWAG formula.
S-

6.5x55 shoot all day and still feel great
30-06 in the 78 - shoot ten shots and then take ten aspirin for the headache:)

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
August 12, 2003, 03:12 AM
Gewehr, that's way too nice for mere words. I'm so jealous of that rifle I'm absolutely pathetic.

Regards,
Rabbit.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rechamber a Swede Mauser to 6.5-'06 Ackley Improved?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!