AK47 Bolt Carrier Issue Opinions Needed

PDA

geo57
April 1, 2008, 03:52 PM
I purchased a very lightly used Norinco Mak 90 a few weeks ago . Before I bought it, I did notice the bottom of the bolt carrier when in battery had several fairly deep pock marked areas, almost a " pitted " look, though there is / was no sign of it ever being rusted, nor is there any sign of rust or pitting anywhere on the rifle. I'm fairly certain they are just metal imperfections, and were there since birth. The wear mark on the carrier where it rides over the hammer is free of any marks, the hammer face & back of the bolt look fine, and the rifle has functioned flawlessly in 2 range sessions. . I had a Mak 90 years ago with a couple pock marks like this on the bolt itself. My questions are how common these metal imperfections on the carrier are, how do they occur during machining, and if they will ever be a function or durability issue ? Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "AK47 Bolt Carrier Issue Opinions Needed" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JesseL
April 1, 2008, 04:11 PM
I seriously doubt that it will ever be an issue for you. I've never noticed such a thing on an AK, but I don't really examine them too close for cosmetic issues either.

Can you post pics?

Magnuumpwr
April 1, 2008, 04:48 PM
Sounds like a little 'perocity' (not sure of spelling), but means that air was trapped in metal during casting. Shouldn't really hurt anything. If you feel that it could possibly cause you some future problems, look around and purchase a spare carrier and bolt. Having one of these rifles, you should look into purchasing spare springs and various other small parts for future repairs, never know when something will give out. Hope this helps and enjoy your new to you rifle.

geo57
April 1, 2008, 07:00 PM
Thanks fellas. Jessel, I tried to take a picture of it, but it's fuzzy & doesn't show up well. I'll try again. Magnuumpwr, I too thought maybe some type of air pocket in the casting process. I'm guessing the largest spot is about as wide as a BB shot and, ( this is just a guess ) about as deep as the dent in a primer from an average blow.

geo57
April 1, 2008, 07:34 PM
Pics. I realize the quality sucks..

geo57
April 1, 2008, 07:36 PM
One more try..

kingjoey
April 1, 2008, 08:25 PM
Yup, looks like a casting flaw. Sometimes there will be really rough machine marks on the Norinco bolt carriers, but you have a casting porosity or more likely there was some slag stuck in the mold that wasn't cleaned out before your's was poured.

kcmarine
April 1, 2008, 09:45 PM
Eh. It's fine. Don't worry.

If you enjoyed reading about "AK47 Bolt Carrier Issue Opinions Needed" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!