Honest Opinions Needed - AR Furniture

PDA

Dionysusigma
April 1, 2008, 03:48 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=75614&stc=1&d=1207079079

I've got some Krylon Fusion "Satin Espresso" paint, and was thinking of doing my AR stock, fore end, and PG with it.

I whipped up the above photo with the rifle in question in GIMP just to see what it might look like, and I think it's got potential. :) Of course, this is my only AR, so I figured I'd get as many opinions as I could before talking the plunge. :o

So, what do you think?

If you enjoyed reading about "Honest Opinions Needed - AR Furniture" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Deer Hunter
April 1, 2008, 03:54 PM
I like it.

And if you like it, I say go for it.

vzenmn
April 1, 2008, 03:56 PM
Cool.

Reminds me of the original bake-lite furniture of the AR prototypes. I thought about painting mine but I would like to get ahold of another stock set to do it on in case I want to go back.

arthurcw
April 1, 2008, 04:44 PM
I'm on the fence. I think the aesthetic feature throwing me off is the color of the mag.

Does the Krylon leave the areas that will hit flesh tacky?

strat81
April 1, 2008, 04:45 PM
Meh. :(

But it's your gun...

illEagle
April 1, 2008, 04:47 PM
Maybe if was a flat brown...

nalioth
April 1, 2008, 04:57 PM
I'm sure the same place will sell you Krylon Fusion "Flat Black" paint if you change your mind.

ceetee
April 1, 2008, 04:58 PM
Not a big fan of the color. I got my furniture in Coyote Brown, which is a lot lighter and drabber. Or course, if you like it, that's all that counts.

41magsnub
April 1, 2008, 04:58 PM
I personally don't like it, but it is your gun so do whatever floats your boat.

Now.. if it was the wood AR furniture that would be worth it if nothing else than for the weird looks at the range.

LKB3rd
April 1, 2008, 05:09 PM
I was on the fence, but had to vote no. If the color was just a tad less bright I'd vote thumbs up. It's too close to purple for my taste. Something in a more brownish burgundy would be better if it was mine... which of course it isn't :P

Urbana John
April 1, 2008, 05:27 PM
HEY-----It's still an EBR!!! Evil BROWN Rifle!!

Better than pink!! for a man!!

UJ

brian923
April 1, 2008, 05:55 PM
i think that desert tan , or coyote brown are two better choices, buts thats why we live in the U.S.A. you can still do what you want..... or so for now...:uhoh:

MMcfpd
April 1, 2008, 06:16 PM
You could get the upper and lower anodized to match (http://usanodizing.com/colorchart.htm#ATypeIII).

Hammer-52
April 1, 2008, 06:20 PM
I like it--expresso brown, cool! Any chance you could paint the mags without affecting loading?

Jackal
April 1, 2008, 06:39 PM
Be careful using the Fuzion paint. I have used it on motorcycle plastics and it does not work as well as advertized (go figure). Even with proper prep, the paint has been doing nothing but chipping off under the slightest flexing/bump/nudge.

Detritus
April 1, 2008, 06:55 PM
I like it.

but that's probably b/c i'm a fan of retro ARs of al types and as mentioned that color is strongly reminiscent of the reddish-brown bakelite furniture found on some early Armalite ARs.

Bartkowski
April 1, 2008, 07:50 PM
Personally, I don't like it. If you like it then go ahead, it doesn't matter what I think when it comes to your gun.

308sc
April 1, 2008, 07:53 PM
i don't care for it but as others have said it's your gun.

MassMark
April 1, 2008, 08:28 PM
I'm not a fan of it personally, but it is unique and as others have said: If it suits you, go for it! :cool:

10-Ring
April 1, 2008, 08:43 PM
Yeah, not something I'd do, but if you're happy, that's all that counts

romma
April 1, 2008, 08:44 PM
It's the Root Beer Float of rifles!

Eightball
April 1, 2008, 08:50 PM
It's a weird off-brown/red color. I don't care for it, but it's your rifle.

3pairs12
April 1, 2008, 08:52 PM
not a fan

JWarren
April 1, 2008, 08:53 PM
I really don't care for it. It reminds me of that color that some bakalite (sp?) AK pistol grips are when you get parts kits.

I'm also not a big fan of Krylon or any other Over-the-counter spray paint for refinishing firearms-- even furniture.

I've tried a couple, and have never been satisfied with the durability of the paint.

But then again, I will never use a few spray on finishes MADE for firearms again, either (cough, cough... Brownell's Tephlon Molycoat in a can)

If I were to want to change the color of ANY part of a firearm, I'll spring for some Duracoat. I've duracoated 4 firearms with it, and I have been thusfar happy with the results.

-- John

Guitargod1985
April 1, 2008, 08:56 PM
It's yours so if you like it great.

Personally, I think it looks as if <DELETED>

Let's just say I'm not wild about it.

Geronimo45
April 1, 2008, 09:00 PM
Don't care for that color. Might do as a gun for Aggies...

possum
April 1, 2008, 11:58 PM
not a fan

ColinthePilot
April 2, 2008, 12:55 AM
I don't like it, but if you do, then more power to ya.

i think that desert tan , or coyote brown are two better choices, buts thats why we live in the U.S.A. you can still do what you want..... or so for now...

You don't live in New York, right? If you do, this would make you a sick, derranged individual for wanting to change the color of your gun. :banghead:

Dionysusigma
April 2, 2008, 01:04 AM
In real life, it's neither as "purply" or shiny as the picture makes it out to be, so those aren't quite properly represented.

And I will say this, too--I painted a Surefire G2 body the same color (and from the same can) after cleaning it well and degreasing it, and must share the sentiment that its durability is not as advertised. I thought it might be due to the softer plastic, but an Otter Box is displaying the same issues. :(

The "retro look" is really cool, though. I was thinking of trying it anyway... :uhoh: Recoat as needed, etc. unless someone has some cheap midlength handguards laying around... ;)

Other colors considered are/were white or primer gray (like some A2 buttstocks).

What is this wooden AR furniture you speak of, and do they make it in a midlength format? :confused:

jpwilly
April 2, 2008, 01:09 AM
:barf: but someone has to have an ugly AR right? Nuthing personal.

mp510
April 2, 2008, 01:40 AM
I don't like it, but if you do, it's your gun.

Gunnerpalace
April 2, 2008, 01:51 AM
dont like, your rifle though.

jrfoxx
April 2, 2008, 05:25 AM
I dont like it, but its not my gun, so screw what I think.I dont like the wood furniture AR's either, no matter how beautiful the wood is, but plenty of others do, so what do I know. I've never been accused of having any taste or style.

Dionysusigma
April 2, 2008, 08:37 AM
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=75614&stc=1&d=1207079079
http://www.armalite.com/images/large%20images/Rifles/AR10B%20large.jpg

Sorta a side-by-side comparison of the proposed rifle in quesiton vs. the "original" AR-10... *shrug*

ScottsGT
April 2, 2008, 08:46 AM
I like mine either all black, or the wild colors that Cav. arms offered.

taliv
April 2, 2008, 11:53 AM
my view of "black rifles" is sort of like the tradition of "black belts" which supposedly started out some other color and eventually became black over years of practice.

it doesn't matter what color your gun starts out. it'll eventually be black if you practice enough.

(edit: this from someone who duracoated his most recent AR15 entirely cobolt blue)

illEagle
April 2, 2008, 12:14 PM
Taliv...

Got any pics of the Cobalt Blue AR15? It might be fun to compare.

Silvanus
April 2, 2008, 12:50 PM
I'm on the fence. I think the aesthetic feature throwing me off is the color of the mag.

Exactly! I like it, but color of the magazine doesn't fit the whole design.

Acheron
April 2, 2008, 01:03 PM
I don't like it. It looks like a mismatched Frankenstein's monster. Either have it be all black or all brown.

But then again, it's your rifle...

taliv
April 2, 2008, 02:04 PM
eagle, yeah, but they didn't really turn out right. looks more powder blue due to my crappy photography skills. i'll get something up soon though.

in the meantime, since we're both in middle tn (Cookeville, here), maybe we can shoot together sometime.

Bones11b
April 2, 2008, 04:41 PM
Not my style, but by no means do I think it would look bad. I never owned brown frame sunglasses till my wife got me a pair as a gift. I ended up loving the way they looked after my first few times wearing them. Like others have suggested If you like it, do it. If you hate the way it turns out, paint it flat black.

cracked butt
April 2, 2008, 04:46 PM
looks nice

If you enjoyed reading about "Honest Opinions Needed - AR Furniture" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!