IE 7 issues

PDA

Grandpa Shooter
April 2, 2008, 01:18 PM
For the last two weeks, almost everytime I get on the net, usually THR, IE 7 comes up with a window that says it has a problem and needs to close.

Is anyone else having this problem? You couldn't even start a p***ant motor scotter with what I know about computers, let alone run it.

Help please!

If you enjoyed reading about "IE 7 issues" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mal H
April 2, 2008, 02:00 PM
Nope, I'm not currently having any problems with IE7 and any site on the net.

I assume you've shut down your computer sometime during the past couple of weeks. I have seen the problem you reported, but not recently. Usually a shut down - power up fixed it. (There is a phenomenon called "memory leak" which is more often than not the cause of many problems. A down/up cycle will restore the memory profile.)

If it continues, you may have to reinstall IE, or better yet migrate to Mozilla Firefox (http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/landing/better/?utm_content=0705features&utm_source=google&utm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign=0507lndgpgtest&gclid=CLC6rvLsvJICFRImawodsS5pbQ) browser, it's easy, free, and cures a lot of IE pains.

Projekt
April 2, 2008, 05:55 PM
Grandpa, there are a few possible solutions to this. Obviously using another browser as recomended above would work fine for you. If you would prefer to keep IE7 you have a couple of options to try. Most likely cause is a program or spyware that recently got into/onto your PC has corrupted files on your PC. First thing i would do is go to "Control Panel", "Add/Remove Programs", then to the left hand side you will see a category called "Windows Components". Click that and uncheck IE7. This will then prompt you to remove the application. Once you have it removed and rebooted the PC, you can then go to:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/ie/getitnow.mspx

Redownload and install. Viola! Brand new working copy of IE7. If that doesnt work then you definatly have a program conflicting with it, or you got spyware. For the latter you can download free ad removal programs that will take care of those for you. PM me if you want recomendations.

Hope this helps!!

herohog
April 2, 2008, 06:11 PM
I have had this happen on brand new clean installs of EVERYTHING. I am talking from a blank, formatted hard drive. I am no computer novice (I am a Sr. Programmer / Analyst) and have anti-virus (AVG), and anti-spyware (Ad Aware and Spybot S&D) on all my machines and they run every night so I know my systems are clean and my stuff is up to date yet I get this same behavior at random. If anyone knows of a fix or what causes it, I'd love to know it!

bowl443
April 2, 2008, 07:01 PM
Hey, PROJEKT, he might want to go to the website and download the IE7 BEFORE uninstalling the browser. It might be kinda hard getting to microsoft.com without a browser, this is of course assuming he doesn't have Firefox or opera.:)

ArfinGreebly
April 2, 2008, 07:05 PM
I have a hard-and-fast rule at my house: no one uses IE for anything unless the site just won't work with anything else.

While my suggestion won't fix IE, it will improve your computer's security.

I recommend downloading and installing Firefox and/or Opera. They're both strong, secure, well-designed browsers, and they don't spend their time on the corner hollering "hey, sailor!" to every virus or spybot that passes.

I'm sure there's a Windows update out there that will fix your IE problem, or clearing the cache and/or history might help, but the fundamental problem is that IE is the single most insecure component of Windows.

My consulting rate on this is still $0.02, please.

Grandpa Shooter
April 3, 2008, 01:21 AM
Went to the Windows One Care security system my techy buddy put on here and checked for updates from Windows. Downloaded all the ones I had missed somehow. Except for one. Guess which one? Yup, you got it. The update to Windows Security for IE 7. Tried 4 times and nothing. I looked at the history of downloads and my computer has been trying to download that update every day for who knows how long.

What the hey? Any body?

Robert Hairless
April 3, 2008, 02:26 AM
One suggestion. I believe that the steps outlined by Projekt above have the option of letting IE7 repair and reinstall itself. Give it a try before doing anything more drastic. Then do the updates if needed.

You also can install Firefox while IE7 is installed, and you can use IE7 to download Firefox.

Justin
April 4, 2008, 01:07 AM
The answer to your problem. (http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/)

If you enjoyed reading about "IE 7 issues" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!