Mas 49/56?

PDA

Click Click Boom
April 2, 2008, 11:17 PM
Are any of there rifles on the market as surplus? Where can I find a MAS 49/56? I would prefer the orighinal chambering but a 308 conversion will be ok. Thanks for the leads.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mas 49/56?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
chestnut ridge
April 2, 2008, 11:50 PM
I see these on gunbroker for 400 on average. Often they come
with extra magazines and the "kit"; which has a bayonet, night
sights, extra small parts and cleaning materials.
Stay away from any of the MAS 49/56 rifles chambered in 308.
They often do not function properly; and some consider them
unsafe to fire.

Vaarok
April 3, 2008, 02:07 AM
The MAS-49/56 is the best cold-war do-it-all semi-auto bar none.

Nothing I have owned, tried, or read about comes close in military configuration. Yes, the M1A nuts will start to pound their chests, and the FAL guys will be a little righteously indignant.

But the MAS-49/56 is an awesome gun.

The 7.62x51 conversions typically had three problems- rough chambers, weak recoil springs (easily replaced with a Browning A-5 spring), and too much gas from the port (cut inch section of the MAS tube right by the gas block, and splice in a 1" piece of AR gas tube as an expansion/delay chamber).

Once fixed, a MAS in 7.62 once was a cheap and versatile shooter. Nowadays, with ammo costs, they're comparable in ammo cost, but use a more common round.

Trebor
April 3, 2008, 02:19 AM
They were really common and cheap a few years ago. Now they've dried up so you have to buy them used. The prices have, of course, gone up as well.

They are out there. Just start looking and maybe you'll find a deal.

Click Click Boom
April 3, 2008, 03:17 AM
I have never used gunbroker. Do you have to join to bid. Or is it a open auction?

How does the original chambering compare to .308 win?

B.D. Turner
April 3, 2008, 03:44 AM
I had one in .308 it never ever worked right. I would rather have a sharp stick.

B.D. Turner
April 3, 2008, 03:47 AM
These rifles were intended to be used as a flag pole for white flags for surrendering french troops.

wayne in boca
April 3, 2008, 06:54 AM
You get a 49/56 in your hands,you aren't surrendering to anybody.Excellent rifles,simple,accurate,powerful,easy to clean.Don't get a .308 conversion,most of them suck,and have no collector value.I AM an M14 and FAL guy,but my 49/56 has a place of honor in the safe among them.

Omaha-BeenGlockin
April 3, 2008, 09:21 AM
Mine is sweet----just that ammo is kinda scarce.

Halo
April 3, 2008, 11:19 AM
Just as an aside, Widener's sells 7.5x54 ammo made by Prvi Partizan. Reloadable brass cases. If you get a MAS you might very well want to look into reloading for it.

MJ
April 3, 2008, 11:59 AM
......................:neener::neener:.........................

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/montereyjack/DSCF0040.jpg

Pura Vida
....MJ....

Owlnmole
April 3, 2008, 12:00 PM
B.D. Turner - Why is it OK to take swipes like that at the French when taking swipes like that at any other nationality/race/religion gets you called a bigot?

I'm not going to get in to politics here, but it seems like the main reason people like to beat up on the French is because they didn't support the U.S. going in to Iraq. Well, with all due respect to our troops (and none at all to our politicians), look how well that's turned out? Sorry for the sermon, but it rubs me the wrong way when people think its OK to malign a whole country to get a laugh.

That said, the MAS 49/56 does have a good reputation as a full-power semi-auto battle rifle, well liked by the troops who used it in intense combat in Southeast Asia and North Africa. For that matter, the MAS 36 bolt-action before it and the FAMAS after it also have great reputations.

Here's something fun - the paratrooper version of the MAS 36 (http://armesfrancaises.free.fr/FR%20MAS%2036%20CR%2039.html), intended to fold up for parachute drops, with a folded aluminum stock and a sling that rolls up automatically like a seat belt. Maybe it's the ancestor of the Kel-Tec Su-16? ;-)

jason10mm
April 3, 2008, 12:08 PM
It is certainly an example of simplicity. The mags attach via a big clip in the side and the night sights are a slip on sleeve for the barrel with glow-in-the-dark spots. Works about as well as sliding a 1911 slide on the end of the rifle :) Plus it blocks the bayonet attachment, so it is either or for french night fighters :)

Still, a cool gun. I'm looking for a Mas-36 bolt-action to round out my French collection.

mp510
April 3, 2008, 01:47 PM
The 7.62x51 conversions typically had three problems- rough chambers, weak recoil springs (easily replaced with a Browning A-5 spring), and too much gas from the port (cut inch section of the MAS tube right by the gas block, and splice in a 1" piece of AR gas tube as an expansion/delay chamber).

Once fixed, a MAS in 7.62 once was a cheap and versatile shooter. Nowadays, with ammo costs, they're comparable in ammo cost, but use a more common round.

Vaarook,

Quick question. we have a 7.62 conversion that had the gas system reworked by Bill Toth/ Design Systems Technologies. Before the repair, there was some very obvious, serious gas system problems. It seems that those were fixed. However, about half the time it cycles fine. The other half of the time, the bolt locks to the rear, leaving the spent case in the chamber, and in one instance it left the spent case in the action. The ammo was late production SA Surplus, and the magazine was not marked 7.62 (it was a 7.5 mag). Do you think that those could be signs of a weak recoil spring?

mp510
April 3, 2008, 01:48 PM
One other problem with the 49/56 is that there is the possibility of slamfire- I had one happen once when I closed the bolt.

Vaarok
April 3, 2008, 05:40 PM
Yeah, MASes are meant for very hard primered military ammo. If you VERY SLIGHTLY blunt the firing pin tip, which increases the surface area of the pin, you can reduce the chance of that. Or get a McCann titanium replacement pin.

MP510, sounds like you're still getting too much gas too early, which is why an expansion chamber is suggested in the gas system. The 7.62 MASes are about an inch shorter than the original rifles, and that means the gas impulse is not only stronger with the higher pressure NATO ammo, but also hits the bolt carrier sooner. Either put in an expansion chamber or, yeah, try a new recoil spring.

A case in the chamber certainly suggests too much rearward oomph, where rearward momentum outdoes extractor strength plus chamber traction on the case, so you should slow it down somehow.

Semiautos are pretty wierd in how recoil springs, gas pressure and impulse timing, and cartridge friction all interrelate.

matt9052
April 3, 2008, 09:35 PM
I had got one about 3 years ago for $175 but then sold it because I couldn't find ammo for it. Privi came out right around when I sold it. Great gun.

MJ
April 3, 2008, 11:29 PM
1. Lighten up guys.
2. Reload
3. #34 primers

........................................:neener:........................................

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/montereyjack/DSCF0020.jpg

mp510
April 4, 2008, 12:03 AM
3. #34 primers

when it slamfired on me, the ammo was South African Military Surplus, which should have the appropriate primers for semi/Full automatic weapons.

R.W.Dale
April 4, 2008, 12:10 AM
These rifles were intended to be used as a flag pole for white flags for surrendering french troops.

You know that we (the US) aren't exactly batting 1000 in the past half century of warfare. We have an annoying habit of leaving things half finished and worse yet fighting like a 8yr old soccer game. We fight wars till we get bored then we take our ball and go home.

MachIVshooter
April 4, 2008, 12:31 AM
Still, a cool gun. I'm looking for a Mas-36 bolt-action to round out my French collection.

Sorta like the one in the middle of the photo, that I paid $120 for?:neener:

(I also only paid $300 for the M96 with bayonet and $125 for the sporterized M38, including the old Weaver scope :neener::neener:)

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/M96M36M38sporter.jpg

That little ba$t@rd kicks, though. I'd put it right with a Mosin M38/M44

I do still need a MAS 49, though.

Click Click Boom
April 4, 2008, 02:29 AM
I cant remember what site I saw it on but I saw a MAS 49/56 turned EBR....... I just want a plain normal MAS!

22/22mag
April 4, 2008, 03:14 AM
I have 2 Mas 49/56 rifles that have been converted to .308 one conversion will take high cap Fal mags. Both rifle shoot with out a problem .

Halo
April 4, 2008, 11:28 AM
I do think the French get a bit of a raw deal. It's hard for us to conceive what it is like to have two World Wars fought on your home soil in the span of one generation, so I think their pacifism is not without reason.

Remember at one time Napoleon's army was the most feared in Europe, and without French help our Head of State today would be Queen Elizabeth. France has also just agreed to send more soldiers to Afghanistan, and is considering rejoining the NATO integrated command. They're not all cowards.

Vaarok
April 4, 2008, 12:10 PM
Two words: Rainbow Warrior.

Click Click Boom
April 4, 2008, 01:53 PM
So, the anwser is that they are not importing them currently but there are a decent amount floating around in the 300-600 price range. Is this a correct statement?

Trebor
April 4, 2008, 03:07 PM
Correct. No longer imported but some are still floating around out there.

xjchief
April 4, 2008, 04:34 PM
I bought mine as an impulse purchase about 10 years ago. Ammo was tough to find for a while but lately it seems to be much easier to come by.

Click Click Boom
April 6, 2008, 01:20 AM
I did a little local searching and havn't found one.

Warren
April 6, 2008, 02:26 AM
I love how the rear sight works on the Mas-36 is it the same on the 49?

I want one as well. Why are they not imported anymore?

Ash
April 6, 2008, 03:31 AM
They work the same but are different. I imagine importation ended when supply dried up.

Ash

mp510
April 7, 2008, 12:03 AM
To quote the ad from the late '90s when CAI sold their inventory off cheap, importation was stopped because of "Presidential Directive".

ak_milsurp
May 15, 2008, 12:29 AM
Hmmmm,,

Looky what I just bought! Woo hoo... :neener:

MAS 49/56 "MSE" Match Rifle. Rare as Chicken lips in the USA... and DAMN hard to find in France anymore...(According to a French High-Power match shooter I know) they only made 900 of 'em..

It's in the Original 7.5 French, has a trigger pull about half what a standard 49/56 has. Has a deep target crown on the end of the barrel.... you can't see it cause of the Muzzle brake. Sights are twice as fine in adjustment clicks. (Like a National Match Garand)

In Europe these sell for 2,000-2,500 Euros (No I'm not from Europe)

I got this one for a shade over $1500 here.. Yes that is 3 times the going rate for a nice 49/56. but it's functional equivalent is a garand National match rifle in the USA. And those are going $3500+ for original examples now. And this "MSE" is rarer still, not many still exist.. those that do are highly prized by match shooters in France. And, they're still used by some French Air force and French police (Gendarmerie) Swat units as designated marksmen/sniper rifles)

Other collectors tell me there are less than ten documented original examples in the USA....:D

This one actually came from the estate of the former owner of Century International in 1998..... to the guy I bought it from....who had it 10 years and never shot it! Go figure! Had Cosmoline in the bore~~

AK_MILSURP
CHugiak, AK

Vaarok
May 15, 2008, 12:44 AM
That is awesome and jealousy-inspiring and not fair.

Dare you to take it to some highpower match or something and show up the smarmy sorts with their accuratized M-1s. 'course, that's probably why you bought it in the first place, right?

Deles136
May 15, 2008, 01:15 AM
What about a 49/56 with a FN49 8mm barrel and using the piston/rod setup just like the FN49? It works very well.

kBob
May 15, 2008, 02:01 AM
I did not purchase an MAS 44 or 49 or 49/56 because I shot 49/56 that was in French Service in 1974.

I noted to my French counterpart that when on line most of the French soldiers had a hankerchief stuck half in a pocket. He explained that this was for whipping out the reciever to remove fouling from the direct impengment gas system. I observed the hankies in use. A number of the French and our guys had failures to feed while on line and this with rifles in French Military service using French made 7.5 ammo. They were less reliable that day than the M-16 A1 rifles I was teaching the French about that were then using petroleum lubes, a lot less reliable, ......even clceaned out with a hankie.

WHen I heard from many that the rifles were hot stuff when they were"dime a dozen" and just comming on the US market I remembered that day and those guns.

I have among my pictures a shot of French Commandos carrying the 49/56 in a 1975 military event in Germany. WHen I was discussing small arms with a young French LT he had disparaging things to say about the 49/56 but was concerned by the lack of power in 5.56 mm systems by comparison. He stated that many French military of the time believed their government messed up by not adopting the HK G3 after testing a few years earlier.

That summer I had a French NCO refuse training from myself, the German Instructor or one of his privates that had been assisiting us, on the operation of the G3. He insisted he knew the gun well, having served in a Commando trained organization that was part of the French testing of the G3.

Fortunately we were using magazines with only eight rounds in them because appeaerntly the French were using HK91 semi autos in their testing rather than select fire G3s. Yep an eight round burst, a look of surprise and then anger that the German gun had "broken". In French NCO fashion of the time he stood up, hurled down the rifle and stormed off the range blaming everyone but himself for the burst.

Ah, the good olde days.

-Bob Hollingsworth

ak_milsurp
May 15, 2008, 04:33 AM
LOL!

No, I didn't buy It to Freak out other competitors on the firing line. (I'm sure I would get resounding "only dropped once" gaffs that you normally hear about French rifles)

I have a fairly extensive MILSURP collection. (Close to 100 rifles) I had just read an article about the "MSE" in an East-Coast Gun collectors association newsletter. Not 30 seconds later I find one on Gunbroker..... and Damn, I actually had the cash to buy it!

I figured what the hell! It's rare, it's unique, and it'll be a decent investment I can actually get some use out of. I agonized a bit about the price. It's the most I've ever paid for a Milsurp. (My Hungarian 52M sniper was the previous high point)

If I had to chose between an M1A "NM" or Garand "NM" and the "MSE", the Garand or M1A would win hands down. However, the "MSE" has it's own distinct personality, and is a worthy inclusion to my collection.:D

My French rifles so far:

MAS 36 (Prewar- WW2 Vet bringback,- nice shape)

MAS 36 (Postwar, arsenal refurb, excellent+)

MAS 36 (Century .308 conversion.. YUCK! This one is useless!! Shoots a pattern , not a group!!)

MAS 36/51 (W/ integral Grenade launcher-- this one is unissued)

MAS 49/56 (1974 arsenal refurb- Like new)

MAS 49/56 "MSE" (1968 Arsenal refurb)

Ash
May 15, 2008, 09:16 AM
I had, at my height, more than 100 milsurps, but nary an MSE (though did have three 59/56's as well as a 36). Nice rifle.

Ash

brooks
May 15, 2008, 09:42 AM
I don't shoot my MAS 49/56 .308 much. It seemed to function well and shoots OK. The rifle seems to be finely machined and simple in design.

The guys warning about safety issues in these re-chambered rifles is unnerving.

Vaarok
May 15, 2008, 12:31 PM
There's no safety issue, only reliability issues. And if yours works, well, you're good to go.

That said, they do have a heavy firing pin, like most other military guns, so don't be putting .308 Winchester through a rechambered gun or you'll have slamfires.

ak_milsurp
May 15, 2008, 02:23 PM
Yep definately a heavy Firing pin. I'm surprised its not spring loaded. I think McCann industries makes, or used to make, a titanium firing pin for the 49/56. But the firing pin with shippin would run about $90!!!

I'm assuming they manufactured the lighter ones to eliminate the slam fire issue.

I think a spring loaded firing pin would be a less expensive fix. Kinda like the recall and subsequent fix on Chinese "NDM 86" Dragunov rifles in the past.

brooks
May 15, 2008, 10:04 PM
My MAS 49/56, re-chambered to .308 has functioned well. I don't shoot it much.

The guys who talk about the possibility of it exploding because of the re-chambering have somewhat unnerved me. Accuracy seems on par to my FAL.

Reloads for semi-auto rifles should be made using narrow or small based dies to reduce the risk of out of battery fire and a KABOOM.

It seems to be a well designed and machined rifle. I have yet to test the grenade launcher.

My gun count seems to be exceeding my storage capacity. If anyone is interested in buying mine--- make me an offer. I will buy it back within 30 days if not satisfied.

George Bruce
July 15, 2008, 07:08 PM
I bought one of the .308 conversions several years ago when Century was first selling them. Mine could not get to 15 rounds before I had a stuck case. I put it in a closet for years, planning to get to it someday. Someday arrive recently when I was reloading some .308 for a different rifle. I figured that the 7.5 french was a 40K psi cartridge, so why not load some 40K psi .308? I loaded twenty rounds of .308 using 39 grains of surplus 4895, GI spec 147 grain FMJBT bullets and commercial primers. I took the rifle to the range on Sunday and fired all 20 rounds fairly rapidly. Not as fast as I could shoot it, but fast enough that the rifle had no chance to cool down. I had one failure to feed and no failures to extract. I think I am on to something here. Maybe with some more fine tuning with loads and maybe a new recoil spring and I can make that thing reliable. I hope so. It is a wonderful little rifle.

Vaarok
July 16, 2008, 12:17 AM
The MAS conversions often have rough chambers and the recoil springs are often snipped. New Browning A-5 recoil spring and a polished chamber fixes probably 3/4 of all the malfs.

ftierson
July 16, 2008, 02:05 AM
AIM has Prvi Partizan 7.5x54mm MAS ammo built to the M1929 Spec that the MAS Mle. 49/56 was designed to shoot for less than $11 a box (20) when you buy ten or more boxes...

It's quite accurate and functions perfectly in my Mle. 49/56.

Nice, non-corrosive, boxer primed ammo...

Get some now before the price goes up...

Forrest

BigdaddyG
July 17, 2008, 05:16 AM
I have 2 of the .308 conversions. Both work fine with a variety of ammo. They shoot suprisingly good. My brother has one that didn't work. Too much gas pressure. He had his machinist neighbor make up a new gas plug that had a screw to adjust the gas flow. Now it runs fine.

jrfoxx
July 17, 2008, 08:16 AM
Not really sure why, but there is just something about the lok of the 49/56 that I love. I have wanted one for about 5 years now, ever since I first found out they existed when I picked up a copy of a C&R/Milsurp gun rag to read on barracks watch one night, and saw a pic, and read about the cartridge, and how well regarded, but relatively unknown to a lot of people and thus how relatively cheap the rifles were for the quality of them. That will probably be the next milsurp I pick up (although it may have to be a while, the job is looking pretty grim at the moment, so sadly all shooting and gun/ammo buying is on indefinite hold :()

I like the Mas 36 a lot too, and plan to get one of those also at some point.

Vaarok
July 17, 2008, 02:17 PM
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_6_48/ai_85472061

They are just excellent rifles in all regards. If they had more-available twenty-round mags, they'd be a better regarded battle rifle than the FAL.

marktx
July 19, 2008, 02:38 AM
Just bought a 49/56 for $400 on a bit of a whim.... It's really a nicely put together rifle and as far as I can tell it's still in the 7.5 French chambering. Came with 3 10rd magazines and two boxes of what appears to be '60s vintage 7.5 ammunition on stripper clips. Bore looks to be in very nice shape and I'm looking forward to trying it out at the range.

It's not as good looking style wise as perhaps an M1A or a G3 but it's not bad and the machining and overall fit/finish is absolutely beautiful.

Just for kicks I would like to find a bayonet and any other accessories that might be out there for the rifle.

Is there any way to tell if the thing has been converted to .308? I'm assuming there would be some type of markings and the rifle I purchased has nothing of the sort... thanks

marktx
July 19, 2008, 10:22 PM
Any idea how to tell the 7.5 magazines from the .308 magazines or if there is any difference?

GD
July 19, 2008, 11:53 PM
The .308 magazines are marked 308 on the bottom.

Vaarok
July 20, 2008, 01:02 AM
Some worn 7.5 mags feed both flawlessly. Some .308 mags are crap. It's all a matter of individual mags.

marktx
July 20, 2008, 01:37 AM
The mags that came with the rifle don't have any markings on the bottom and are very heavy well built items. Just for the sake of trying they seem to take 308 rounds but they don't seem to fit quite right, the 7.5 rounds seem to work better. Found another local gunshop that just happened to have half a dozen more mags and a what appears to be some kind of part that somehow attaches on to the grenade launcher attachment points. Don't plan on shooting the rifle much beyond occasional trips to the range so all the mags are really unnecessary but figure it's better to go ahead and get them when I can for a reasonable price.

marktx
July 21, 2008, 10:23 PM
Went back to buy the magazines and they were marked 308 on the bottom which won't do much good since my rifle seems to be unmolested in the original 7.5 French. I'm gonna bring one of my mags by to see how they compare dimensionally and see if they might be usable but will probably pass on buying them. If there is anybody who is looking for them I would be happy to pass the shop's info along.

roscoe
July 22, 2008, 01:35 AM
I am sure they are reliable rifles. I saw an Afar warrior carrying one in Ethiopia a couple of years back.

The French are far from pacifists. They are pretty much like Americans - they like to do things their own way, and they don't mind nuking an atoll to prove the point. They also are known to make good weapons (aside form the ChautChaut). I would love a FAMAS. I also appreciate the fact that they always have good home-made weapons (FAMAS, Mirage, Leclerc) instead of buying NATO/European/Russian stuff.

marktx
July 22, 2008, 01:56 AM
Found a local place that has the "night sighting device" that some of the 49/56s came with. It took some searching just to figure out what the heck it was as it's a rather random looking metal tube that I would have guessed was a grenade launcher part. Dunno what they want for it, what it's worth, or if it's even useful. Anybody have experience?

brooks
July 23, 2008, 05:01 PM
Night Sighting:

The sight had some radioactive tritium or material that has some "danger" attached to it.

You could probably stick it up the rear end of a Talibani for 10 years with no ill effects.

marktx
July 24, 2008, 12:19 AM
Tritium eh? If memory serves it has a half life of seven years so I don't imagine any of them have much juice left. Ended up buying the night sight and it glows very very faintly, probably better than nothing in pitch darkness.

Dave/hoff
July 24, 2008, 02:10 PM
I have a 49/56 that I like just fine (.308 conversion).

When I first got it (about 1998), it would just rip the shell cases apart; AND it would ONLY feed Hornady Match Grade ammo! Took it to a gunsmith who polished the chamber a bit and now I can shoot whatever I want.

Before I knew any better, I took off the grenade launcher sights and the steel butt plate. Then, I installed a rubber stock extender for a Ruger 10/22 (a little woodwork was required there), and that helped INCREDIBLY with the recoil issue.

It's a shooter, and darned accurate too. I can easily shoot a 9-inch paper plate at 200 yards with Remington Core-Lokt ammo.

Vaarok
July 24, 2008, 07:56 PM
Why didn't you just put the rubber recoil boot back on?

George Bruce
July 28, 2008, 01:50 AM
I continued my experiment with reduced power loads for the .308 conversions. I loaded 40 rounds w/ 39.4 grain of 4895 surplus powder. Again, I used a 147 mil spec. FMJBT and WW large rifle primers. I fired all 40 rounds fairly quickly. Function was flawless. I have not polished the chamber, altered the gas system or done anything else. With regular .308 rounds, I got a failure to extract after about 15 rounds. If this thing won't mess up after 40 rounds, I have no complaint. I think this is the solution to poor reliability in .308 conversions.

On top of everything else, I feel better shooting 40K psi ammo in a 40K psi rifle.

Now I am going to put a scope on this thing, and lengthen the stock somehow.

Vaarok
July 28, 2008, 12:28 PM
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=105908814

George Bruce
July 29, 2008, 12:41 AM
Thanks for the link. I am thinking more in terms of a larger size recoil pad. The recoil is actually pretty mild, but the length of pull is just too short for me. I'd like to put at least a couple on inches on the thing.

I did get a McCain scope mount in the mail today. It looks good and has the scope right over the centerline of the rifle. I don't know if brass will hit the front of the scope. I might put a short, low magnification fixed power scope on it. I think Burris makes a 4x or 2.75x scope that is about nine inches long.

marktx
August 2, 2008, 09:29 PM
Just bought another Mas 49/56 today, it doesn't look used much if at all and has the original type scope & mount that attaches to the left side of the receiver. It has the correct leather sling and came with one magazine. No markings to indicate any conversion to .308 which is a bonus as I prefer the original chambering. Paid $500 for the whole thing which is a lot more than they used to go for but I felt pretty happy to get the whole package in nearly new condition.

ftierson
August 2, 2008, 11:45 PM
Just out of curiosity, where did you pick it up?

Forrest

marktx
August 3, 2008, 12:57 AM
Nagel's (http://www.nagelsguns.net/) gun shop in San Antonio, TX. They have a great selection and seem to have their stuff together, it's worth stopping in if you are ever in San Antonio.

It was a very spontaneous purchase, went in with the intention of looking at a few Benchmade knives and walked out with a MAS 49/56 and four boxes of Venezuelan 7.62x51. I was looking at a few Mausers and asked the salesmen if they happened to see many MAS' and he didn't think so. Conversation drifted to Hakim rifles and he went to the back to pick one up and ran across the MAS en route. Weird how these things happen.

ftierson
August 3, 2008, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by marktx

Nagel's gun shop in San Antonio, TX. They have a great selection and seem to have their stuff together, it's worth stopping in if you are ever in San Antonio.

It was a very spontaneous purchase, went in with the intention of looking at a few Benchmade knives and walked out with a MAS 49/56 and four boxes of Venezuelan 7.62x51. I was looking at a few Mausers and asked the salesmen if they happened to see many MAS' and he didn't think so. Conversation drifted to Hakim rifles and he went to the back to pick one up and ran across the MAS en route. Weird how these things happen.

Yes, it certainly is weird how these things happen...

I, of course, have never had that happen to me...:)

And thanks for the info...

If I'm ever in San Antonio, I'll make it a point to stop in...

Forrest

Dave/hoff
August 5, 2008, 12:47 AM
Why didn't you just put the rubber recoil boot back on?

I didn't get any of those accessories when I bought mine (around 1996-7).
Purchased from a small volume gun dealer who was a friend of a friend and he didn't say anything about (and I ssupect he didn't have) anything about the accoutrements that get offered up these days as parts of the package.

marktx
August 6, 2008, 11:41 PM
Found a MAS 44 that is going for $600.... seems a little bit expensive but would go nicely with the two 49/56s I recently bought. Anybody have one or bought one recently? It looks more or less like a 49/56 but with a longer forearm and no grenade launcher stuff or flash hider.

ftierson
August 7, 2008, 01:04 AM
Doesn't seem that bad a price for one in nice condition.

Keep in mind that the MAS Mle. 44 is considerably rarer than the MAS Mle. 49/56...

Have great fun with it...

Forrest

nambu1
August 7, 2008, 03:07 AM
On Gunbroker, you have to register. It is free and they only charge you when you sell items through them. Unlike Ebay, they only charge you when an item sells, if it does not, you can relist it without a charge.

kelt
August 21, 2010, 03:03 PM
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but a post like KBob's here needs to be addressed:

The direct gas impingement system of the French semi auto rifles from the Mas 38/39, then on the 40, 44, 49 and 49-56 do not interfere at all with the function of the rifle, the gas ends up in a blind hole located on the front of the bolt carrier, there is no carbon buildup as in the M16.

Looks like KBob as a poor memory or is good at making up stories.

I will not comment on the remaining part of the fairy tale, this being my first post here.

kelt

http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=4505310&postcount=36

WyrTwister
August 21, 2010, 05:19 PM
The one I had was converted to 7.62 NATO by Century . Accuracy was terrible !

I have gotten better groups with a 12 gauge & 00 buckshot . Run from anything Century has fiddle with ! :-(

God bless
Wyr

If you enjoyed reading about "Mas 49/56?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!