where can I get Rockchucker replacement parts?

PDA

Halo
April 3, 2008, 01:40 AM
Does anyone know where I can get Rockchucker replacement parts, or am I pretty much limited to special ordering from RCBS? I checked some of the usual suspects - Midway, Wideners, etc - but didn't see what I need.

Specifically, I'm looking for a replacement toggle pin. My moronic self managed to crack one of the heads when I was driving it back in, and now the little snap ring is barely holding on.

I wonder if there's some sort of generic hardware item I could use in its place?

TIA

If you enjoyed reading about "where can I get Rockchucker replacement parts?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Idano
April 3, 2008, 01:55 AM
Contact RCBS, they'll more then likely just send you one at no cost. Their customer service is top notch.

hoghunting
April 3, 2008, 01:55 AM
Contact RCBS as the Rockchucker has a lifetime warranty and their Customer Service is excellent.

ReloaderFred
April 3, 2008, 03:33 AM
Don't even mess with it, just call RCBS and they'll take care of it free of charge.

Hope this helps.

Fred

elw
April 3, 2008, 09:46 AM
I called them yesterday after I bent the rod on my swagger and they sent one right out. No questions asked. Got to love that kind of commitment to their products!!

mallc
April 3, 2008, 09:55 AM
The toggle shaft should be a slip fit. Only the pins that connect the top of the toggle arms into the press body are a press fit.

I've found that the toggle arms are not always reversible - be sure you have them oriented or the press will bind.

Scott

scrat
April 3, 2008, 11:21 AM
Yep just like what everyone else said rcbs is a pretty good place to deal with. they will send it out no problem

rcmodel
April 3, 2008, 12:32 PM
+1 to what mallc said!

No reason you should have had to use a hammer in the first place, unless you mixed up the toggle links or something.

rcmodel

lee n. field
April 3, 2008, 12:44 PM
Just call them.

99.9% chance they'll just send you that part.

Halo
April 3, 2008, 02:32 PM
Well, I didn't remove the toggle arms so they didn't get swapped accidentally. I think they were binding a bit on the pin when I reinserted it, because it would go in about a third of the way without much resistance. Since I had to punch it out in the first place, I didn't think too much about having to punch it back in. Oh well, lesson learned!

dmickey
April 3, 2008, 02:58 PM
RCBS will honor their warranty even if you are not the original owner of the press! I've even gotten press parts for the A-2 presses that I have (2) at no cost from them!

Halo
April 3, 2008, 03:14 PM
Wow, that is great service for sure. I just sent an email to their tech department. I have no problem paying for a replacement since it's my own fault the other one cracked, but if they insist on replacing it free of charge I suppose I'll let them. ;)

rcmodel
April 3, 2008, 03:39 PM
I tried to buy a new ball-end handle for my 1970 press with the bicycle grip handle.
They ask why, and I told them I thought the ball handle would be easier on the arthritis in my hands.

They would not sell me a new handle.

But they sent me one free!

rcmodel

brickeyee
April 3, 2008, 05:13 PM
I wanted the ball instead of the grip also.
Said I could thread the shaft, just needed the ball.
Showed up 4 days later for free.

They have also replaced the plastic index for my 4x4 press a couple times.
They usually send out 3 or 4 pieces, then I call in another year or so.

packnrat
April 3, 2008, 09:56 PM
only time i hade a problem with a rcbs product, i recived a package in the mail within the week, NO charge.

rcbs gets my vote and money, for customer support.:D

Joe Foraday
April 3, 2008, 10:06 PM
Out-of-this-world-standing customer service from these guys - as others say, even if you buy the tools used.

Halo
April 4, 2008, 04:01 PM
Just as everyone here predicted, I got a quick response from RCBS asking only for my shipping address so they could send me the part.

Great service indeed!

Dumpster Baby
April 4, 2008, 06:29 PM
I have one of the early Reloader Special presses, without the compound leverage of the Rock Chucker. I cut off the bicycle handle and put on a 2.5" wooden ball from an arts and crafts store. I centered a 5/8" wood bit in the center hole of my drill press table, and used that hole as the holder for the wooden ball as I drilled it about 2/3 through. I just tapped the ball onto the steel rod handle.

It made a big difference in full length sizing about 600 .308 and .30-06 LC cases. I used to have a sore palm for days in the past when I did that.

:D

Halo
April 8, 2008, 10:48 PM
While I'm waiting for the replacement toggle pin to arrive, I've been looking at the press trying to figure out why it met resistance before. I think the toggle arms may have been "leaning" slightly inwards, and one of them caused a binding situation.

Should the pin be greased? I put a coat of Shooter's Choice grease on it and later thought that might be what made it hard to insert, because when I did get it through a bunch of that grease oozed out around the far end pretty quickly.

In case you're wondering why I even had the pin out in the first place, I had to take the ram out so I could get all the rust off of it. I got out of reloading for a few years and my equipment was stored in my parents' garage. Muggy Southern air is unkind to bare steel. Now I'm on a mission to get it cleaned up and back in action.

rcmodel
April 9, 2008, 01:53 PM
I would throughly clean all the holes with a bronze bore brush & solvent, then apply grease or oil to everything.

Wiggle / rotate the pin back in with hand pressure alone.

If the old dryed oil & dirt are cleaned out of the holes, and then all of them re-lubed, there should be very little resistance putting the new pin in when everything is lined up properly.

rcmodel

If you enjoyed reading about "where can I get Rockchucker replacement parts?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!