Why don't we have a 'Polly Ticks' Sub-forum?

PDA

hitbackfirst
April 4, 2008, 07:51 PM
Why don't we have a 'Polly Ticks' Sub-forum? So many threads get closed for being off-topic or political, but freedom extends beyond just the Second Amendment, and sometimes broader issues need to be discussed. Since politics are clearly off-limits in the legal forum, where are they supposed to go? I am willing to do more than my share to keep the proposed politics forum active! ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Why don't we have a 'Polly Ticks' Sub-forum?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jorg Nysgerrig
April 4, 2008, 07:54 PM
I am willing to do more than my share to keep the proposed politics forum active!

Low activity levels were never the problem with the political forum here.

Here's a fairly recent thread discussing this:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=335570

41magsnub
April 4, 2008, 08:08 PM
Standard answer.. there is one. It's called the APS forums.

Tully M. Pick
April 4, 2008, 08:10 PM
So many threads get closed for being off-topic or political, but freedom extends beyond just the Second Amendment, and sometimes broader issues need to be discussed.

I think that the powers that be want to focus on guns.

Don Gwinn
April 4, 2008, 08:29 PM
Yup. Discussing politics has never worked out that well for us (at least since our growth spurt.) Too much anger.

zxcvbob
April 4, 2008, 08:32 PM
Fire ants killed all the ticks about 5 or 10 years ago. (the folks in East Texas will understand) :)

VHinch
April 4, 2008, 08:43 PM
I thought Wednesday was the official "forums that are never coming back" request day.

Mal H
April 4, 2008, 08:54 PM
hitbackfirst - Please read the FAQ answers thread (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=350166) in this forum (sticky at the top). Item 4 covers your question in detail.

hitbackfirst
April 4, 2008, 09:06 PM
Too bad...

Current Data:

THR:
Currently Active Users: 2129 (409 members and 1720 guests)
Members: 66,177, Active Members: 14,040

APS:
13 Guests, 19 Users (1 Hidden)
Most Online Today: 104. Most Online Ever: 182
1782 Members

THR is so active, I wish we could just have just one little politics forum, but I guess it has been decided. Oh well! :(

BullfrogKen
April 4, 2008, 11:25 PM
We tried it, hitbackfirst. Legal used to be Legal and Political.

It became the forum on the board everyone "euphemistically" referred to as Lying and Peeing.

It was an ugly, argumentative place to spend any time in. We issued more warnings, executed more bans, and closed more threads in L&P than any place else on the Board. Once the bad blood generated spilled out onto the rest of the forum, we decided the best action was to do away with it.

We're a better place now as a result of that decision.

We're here because of our interest in firearms. But that common interest doesn't mean we all have the same worldview. We have folks from all across the political spectrum here. Just like we have folks from all across the religious spectrum here. The old adage about what happens when you discuss religion and politics happened here.

We still have an outlet for those sorts of discussions. Legal is legal. Discuss legal lopics and you'll be fine. Activism is activism. Propose problems and specific courses of action, and you'll be fine. Threads or posts that do nothing but bitch and complain about political matters won't have a life on THR. Try APS for that outlet.

WayneConrad
April 4, 2008, 11:31 PM
I had a new Polly Tickle
It cost me just a nickle
My pretty Polly Tickle
But Art saw what had to be done
The High Road was coming undone
"I'm Sorry," said he. "It had its run."
Oh, my proud Polly Tickle

zxcvbob
April 4, 2008, 11:38 PM
TFL still has a legal and political forum. It gets mighty contentious sometimes.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10

If you enjoyed reading about "Why don't we have a 'Polly Ticks' Sub-forum?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!