converted saiga

PDA

mrmom61
April 5, 2008, 12:36 AM
Would I be better off with a converted saiga or a lancaster or vector ak47?

If you enjoyed reading about "converted saiga" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ClickClickD'oh
April 5, 2008, 01:05 AM
Well, that depends really on what you are looking to get out of the rifle.

If you want to just buy an AK type rifle to shoot at the range, a lancaster or vector will probably do you better than a Saiga.

On the other hand, if you have passing skills with some common hand tools, and the desire to learn every working park of the AK type rifle, the Saiga should be your choice. Besides, nothing beats the pride of talking up how you worked up your own rifle to guys at the range.

I'm not going to drop a BS bomb and tell you the Saiga is an inherently better rifle than the other. Don't let anyone else drop a BS bomb and say the others are better than Saigas. They're on par. The Saiga will take more investment time, and potentially money in the long run. Believe me, customizing them is addictive. And that to me is worth it.

If you decide to go the Saiga route, spend some time over on the Saiga forum before you start chopping. They know their stuff over there and are willing to help out.

azhunter12
April 5, 2008, 01:16 AM
Do what ClickClick said cause I couldn't say it better.

rangerruck
April 5, 2008, 01:31 AM
I will say that the accuracy of a saiga , at least all the ones I have had, have been quite good. My 223 Saiga is m.o.a. capable.

AK103K
April 5, 2008, 10:03 AM
If your considering the conversion, or thinking of buying one, I'd go with one done by Krebs or AK-USA. You'll get a quality job and a fine rifle. Nothing wrong with doing it yourself, if your capable, but I'd be leery of buying one someone else did on their own.

I have one of Krebs' early AK103K's. Its a restored Saiga with a 14" barrel and welded brake. The Russian guns are pretty much the cream of the crop, and it is a "Russian" gun, not a "copy" assembled from parts.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7d700b3127ccebc12073f192a00000036100CYuWbdo5bsU

Monkeybear
April 5, 2008, 11:56 AM
If you want a solid AK without breaking the bank just buy an AK. If you like to play with things and DIY then maybe get a Saiga. Just go to some website that sells AK stuff and throw everything you need to do your conversion into the cart and see how much it actually cost. Now compare that to the cost of a Vector and make your decision.

Me I went with the Saiga. As much fun as it has been to mess around with I kinda wish I had one of those Vectors with the blonde furniture for the same money. I personally feel that the value of a Saiga is best when it is left stock.

MAKster
April 5, 2008, 12:34 PM
Does anyone know if the feed ramp on the Saiga conversions works well? Some of them look rather crude.

azhunter12
April 5, 2008, 12:39 PM
I havent heard any complaints on the saiga forums. Where do you see them as crude? Were they homemade or from Dinzag?

railroader
April 5, 2008, 12:40 PM
Buy your bullet guide here. It comes in a kit with the drill bit and tap. They are well made. http://www.dinzagarms.com/ Mark

nalioth
April 5, 2008, 12:51 PM
Does anyone know if the feed ramp on the Saiga conversions works well? Some of them look rather crude. How do you tell? The AK is a crude weapon. I'll admit, my feedramp looks like pounded doggiedoo, but works just fine.

As I always say: It ain't how it looks, it's how it runs.

The Kalashnikov ain't a hand made Purdey rifle..

El Tejon
April 5, 2008, 12:56 PM
The proof is in the shooting, not the pudding.:D

If you enjoyed reading about "converted saiga" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!