Bushy Range Report

PDA

pdh
April 6, 2008, 09:17 AM
Finally took out my Bushmaster V Match for a test ride.

I thought....thought...she done pretty good (?)....being that I have no experience on the AR platform.....first time I fired it...and weather conditons alittle windy..

I am hoping for average .5" groups after I tweek in my reloads...Just what kind of accuracy should I expect when everything is right?
Thanks.....................

Here are some results of loads using h322 power with the 52gr sierra match at 100yds

2800 FPS-Load

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/hainespd/DSC01433.jpg

2900 FPS-Load...flyer on 3rd shot

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/hainespd/DSC01431.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/hainespd/bushy-3.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Bushy Range Report" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
brian923
April 6, 2008, 03:54 PM
i have been using 25.1-2 grns of 4895 behind 55 grn v-max, and am getting some good results. i have some h322, so ill have to give it a try. unfortunatly, i do not have a chronograph, yet.

looks good, and looks like you can tailor that load to shoot mighty fine from that rifle. keep us updated as to how everting goes. i am very interested.

looks to be that the faster they go, the better the group. maybe, if there are no pressure signs, try a little more, and see it the group opens, or closes. but dont overdo it.

how many grns of h322 are you using to get 2900 fps???

brian

pdh
April 6, 2008, 04:29 PM
Hey Brain.....my next test loads are loaded up with IMR4895. 25.1gr @ 2800fps and 25.8gr @ 2900FPS. Using the same bullet 52gr sierra Match.

The load @ 2900fps with the H322 powder is 23.8gr. A mild load out of the Sierra Manual ....as 25.2gr is the max at 3100FPS using the 52gr bullet.

How heavy of a bullet will the 1 in 9 twist handle?

Onmilo
April 6, 2008, 04:33 PM
I think you and your rifle did just fine.
I have found that the majority of brand new barrels do not settle down and give the best groups until they have been settled in with about five hundred rounds through the tube.
Keep shooting and watch things get better and better.

pdh
April 6, 2008, 04:45 PM
Sounds great Onmilo !! I bought my rifle used...off a good friend with only around 200yds fired through it....It's in mint condition...he did not go out and shoot very much....I said he was crazy.....

Dave R
April 6, 2008, 05:16 PM
My experience is you cannot get .5" groups in windy conditions. You need ideal conditions. In windy conditions, perfect shooting leaves you measuring the wind's effects on groups.

brian923
April 6, 2008, 06:39 PM
PDH.

th 1/9 twist should handle up to 68 grn bullets. some people have shot 75 and 77 grn bullets out of thier 1/9, but i havent succsesfully found a good recipie for the 75 grn a max's i have. that dosent mean that they wont work.

wally
April 6, 2008, 08:11 PM
You can't talk MOA until you've got at least ten shots in the group. "Flyers" all count! True MOA rifles and ammo are tough!

--wally.

pdh
April 6, 2008, 09:40 PM
Thanks for all the info Gents...Going to also try some reloder 7 powder...I have had alot of luck with reloder powders in my other rifles.......

I want to use my bushmaster for varmint hunting and paper punching...these rifles are so exciting!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Bushy Range Report" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!