Hakim Rifle?

PDA

Click Click Boom
April 6, 2008, 08:45 PM
Is this semi auto rifle from Egypt worth a look?

What is the going "rate" for these?

Are all the Hakim rifles that were importd here 8mm Mauser?

If you enjoyed reading about "Hakim Rifle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Vaarok
April 6, 2008, 10:57 PM
The Hakim is a scaled-up Swedish Ljungman. It's accurate, reliable, a little rube-goldbergish with the bolt-manipulation (involves sliding the dustcover forward to lock to the bolt-carrier, then flipping off the safety and letting things snap shut... there's no real charging handle).

Average price is about $350-400, they're very accurate, VERY VERY loud, very mild recoil, and can take MG-13 25-round magazines.

Downside is they're nastier than a Garand if you get pinched, and they're gas-blowback so you gotta clean 'em good. They are easy to clean, though.

Personally, I don't much care for mine, and I'm going to sell it off once the handguard comes back from getting a crack fixed by Candyman, but they're not a bad rifle.

ALL Hakims are chambered in 8x57, though the Rashid carbines that look kinda like a SKS (but use the Ljungman/Hakim mechanism) are in 7.62x39. They're wicked expensive, $650 and up for a beater.

herohog
April 6, 2008, 11:13 PM
LOVED mine! Bought 3 of them!

Lichter
April 7, 2008, 10:20 AM
I've seen some beat up ones starting at $400 at gunshows

Colt46
April 7, 2008, 01:46 PM
Got it years ago for $175. Heavy! Very loud! Accurate. Interesting gun. Not my cup of tea.

Funderb
April 7, 2008, 01:50 PM
how much are you selling it for Vaarok?
I'd really like one, though I'm heisitant because of the shrinking 8mm ammo market.

Click Click Boom
April 7, 2008, 03:17 PM
What are you asking fo it. I'm in the market.

TauZero
April 8, 2008, 12:06 AM
I got one about a month ago and really like it. Big, heavy, LOUD, accurate, and low recoil. In other words, fun, fun, fun. The muzzle brake will blow stuff off your neighbor's table at the range.

8MM is a powerful round. Shot 16 inches of stacked paper in a box; blew confetti out the back. My Mosin only made it through 14 inches of paper.

Funderb
April 8, 2008, 08:58 AM
14" is that it? aww thats sad.
Was it an m44?

TauZero
April 8, 2008, 11:07 PM
As it turns out, yes, an M44 with Bulgarian heavy ball.

Funderb
April 8, 2008, 11:20 PM
haha, as I guessed. The m91/30 has a higher velocity and muzzle energy, so you'd probably do better with the longer barrel. The m44 is fun either way.

TauZero
April 9, 2008, 05:19 PM
I would have brought my 91/30, but i already had the Hakim, the M44, a Turkish Mauser, and a Romanian TT-33. That produced almost 6 hours of cleaning! I did NOT need another rifle out there that day...

Funderb
April 9, 2008, 05:28 PM
all that surplus stuff, and probably surp ammo, I'd imagine that would be quite a bit of cleaning.

Have you noticed that cleaning the 91/30 requires time more than the m44 that seems to grow exponentially at the rate of about Xe5 per cm that the 91/30 barrel is longer?
I did some equations and that's what I got.:what:
Yes, the long ones do take forever.

dubious
April 9, 2008, 11:49 PM
Yikes... did a little googling on Hakim's, which I've admired at gun shows, and I found this right near the top of my "Hakim Rifle" search:

"Exploding Hakims, Extractor Failures, and Ammo Problems. "
http://www.texastradingpost.com/militaria/hakim.html

I wonder if they were used in the Israeli 1968 & 73 wars?

Funderb
April 10, 2008, 12:20 AM
Probably used in those wars. Anything that could shoot a bullet was probably used.

That site could carry the same description as your username!
Just to scare people with low actual statistics.

Scott7891
April 11, 2008, 05:48 PM
Turkish ammo is not meant for the Hakim, way too hot. That ammo will in the long run if in continuous use will cause it to explode. Other than that I have had no problems firing Romanian and Yugo surplus. They have Egyptian surplus ammo out there and had the opportunity to get some but ran out of money at the gun show :(.

LeibstandarteAdH
April 11, 2008, 09:20 PM
Yikes... did a little googling on Hakim's, which I've admired at gun shows, and I found this right near the top of my "Hakim Rifle" search:

"Exploding Hakims, Extractor Failures, and Ammo Problems. "
http://www.texastradingpost.com/militaria/hakim.html

I wonder if they were used in the Israeli 1968 & 73 wars?

Thats some BS just dont shoot much turkish and keep your gas setting all the way down (one click up)

Yeah probibly were, i have a picture that i think is of one then but i cant tell. There is not very much info about that side of that wars infantry maneuvers floating around.

Vaarok
April 11, 2008, 09:42 PM
Turkish ammo in a Hakim is insane. It's large-flake powder meant for a long-barreled bolt rifle or recoil-operated MG. Way too slow a pressure curve for an autoloading rifle. I've seen FN-49s utterly torn apart from using Turkish ammo.

The Hakim is a perfectly safe design for the circumstances it was used.

That said, never chamber a round and then let the bolt slam shut on it. You can get a slamfire that'll crack your bolt-stop and possibly worse.

ccsniper
April 15, 2009, 02:56 PM
well, this thread is over a year old, and im now reviving it. are these still around?

rogertc1
April 15, 2009, 04:26 PM
The Hakim is a lot more than 400-500 now days do a searth. More on the $700 to $800 price scale. Under this gets you a rough one missing pieces. 8mm is cheap now. I know cause I jsut got a Hakim last month.
Here's one...good dealer...
http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_info.php?products_id=10300&osCsid=cf23f448b4ab6a9f92b9b565da8c894d

Pack
April 15, 2009, 05:25 PM
The Hakims are cool. I've handled, but not fired, one.

I went the FN-49 route, and I might suggest that. However, I have to give the biggest +1 in history to what Vaarok said:

" Turkish ammo in a Hakim is insane. It's large-flake powder meant for a long-barreled bolt rifle or recoil-operated MG. Way too slow a pressure curve for an autoloading rifle. I've seen FN-49s utterly torn apart from using Turkish ammo."

On the first round I ever put through it, I self-destructed my first FN-49 with what I thought was Yugo 8mm (it may have been, but the point on being careful with ammo is true either way). The bolt itself, actually, was ok - as was the barrel - but the bolt carrier was literally sheared in two and springs and parts flew. It wasn't dramatic, like an explosion or anything - indeed, I never perceived any danger, even afterward, but the rifle was out of commission. :(

Gas Operated
April 15, 2009, 06:38 PM
I picked up a nice example last week for $400.

.45Guy
April 15, 2009, 08:45 PM
I've always loved Hakims, but both I've owned hated East German and Romanian steel cased mil surp... the Yugo on the other hand was good to go.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hakim Rifle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!