Savage model 29 field strip?

PDA

Furncliff
April 8, 2008, 02:58 PM
I recently bought this savage at a gun show from a local gunsmith. I had never seen one before and I probably paid a bit too much for it. But it's in excellent condition and I'm having a great time with it. I don't know how best to clean the barrel from the breach. Am I mistaken that these were take down rifles? This rifle has an octagon barrel.

Thanks for your help,

Tom

If you enjoyed reading about "Savage model 29 field strip?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim K
April 8, 2008, 06:43 PM
I don't recall whether taking the rifle down and removing the bolt will give a straight shot at the barrel or not, but I seem to recall that it doesn't. I think you will have to clean from the muzzle.

If you do that without taking the rifle down, make sure you put a stop on the cleaning rod so it doesn't strike the bolt.

Jim

GRB
April 8, 2008, 07:05 PM
I'd bet the guy from whom you bought it may know how to disassemble it for cleaning. Any chance of contacting him?

Furncliff
April 8, 2008, 07:19 PM
Thanks Jim.

Glenn, yes his shop is in town, I'm sure he will help me out. Thanks for bring the obvious to light. :D

ClarkEMyers
April 9, 2008, 12:45 AM
A couple of generations but in general clean from the muzzle.

Generally the barrel stays with the receiver - cover - and the butt stock and trigger plate with hammer separate. The receiver bends down in the rear to conceal the hammer and prevents breech cleaning - although a boresnake can be used I think.

Watch for peening on the chamber edge from dryfiring by a shooter ignorant of the bolt release and cocking indicator.

Not so desirable as the Winchester but a nice gentlemen's takedown .22

Steven Mace
April 9, 2008, 04:32 AM
Tom, the link below is an exploded view of a Savage Model 29. note item #2, takedown screw.

http://stevespages.com/ipb-savage-29.html

Hope this helps!

Steve Mace

Furncliff
April 9, 2008, 11:59 AM
Steve, thanks for the link. Perfect.

If you enjoyed reading about "Savage model 29 field strip?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!