I may be getting a Makarov.

PDA

firestar
August 12, 2003, 08:17 PM
I guess I have to try one of these guns because everyone keeps raving about them. I have looked at a few and wasn't impressed but now that ammo is cheap for them, I think I will buy one and see what I think.

I went to a dealer and he is checking to see if he can get me one. I am supposed to call on Wed and check his price. If it is a good deal, I will pick one up. I assume it will be a Bulgarian but it really doesn't matter much to me because they are all the same crude junk.:D

What is a good price now? I saw a Russian one at a gunshop for $150 that I passed on because it had a really rough DA trigger and it just didn't "do it" for me. I have never seen a Bulgarian one in any gunshow or gun shop so I have no price to go by. I could order one from SOG but after shipping and FFL transfer, it will run me about $170-180 so I guess anything less than that will be a deal.

What is so great about them anyway? I know they are supposed to be reliable and decently accurate but is there something else that makes people love them so much? Is it just the price?

If you enjoyed reading about "I may be getting a Makarov." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
lee n. field
August 12, 2003, 09:45 PM
I saw a Russian one at a gunshop for $150 that I passed on because it had a really rough DA trigger and it just didn't "do it" for me

Your Mileage May Vary. The DA trigger on my Russian commercial Mac is nicer than that on my Bulgarian milsurp.

What is so great about them anyway? I know they are supposed to be reliable and decently accurate but is there something else that makes people love them so much? Is it just the price?

Try it and see. If you don't like it, it should be easy to unload.

Zip06
August 12, 2003, 09:54 PM
Makarov's are a fine gun. Not much negative on these boards about them. Mine have given great performance. Just a suggestion, if you buy one go to a gunshow to get ammo. If you buy it by the case it will cost about $5.00 a box. Wolf and Barnaul both offer cheap, dirty ammo that shoots just fine. If you buy LVE ammo, don't be suprised with all the sparks shooting out the barrel.

9x19
August 12, 2003, 10:05 PM
I would recommend against it... you're preconceived notions may taint the experience. :D

The Maks have a cult following and I don't trust anyone that gets emotional about their gun. Often, when a gun or anything has a clut (sic)following, it is because the object in question has some good qualities but also some drawbacks, otherwise it wouldn't be a cult following, it would just be a following. ~ firestar

alamo
August 12, 2003, 10:51 PM
I would advise against it too. There is a Makarov forum on gunboards.com with all kinds of fanatical followers, some would call it a cult.

SouthpawShootr
August 12, 2003, 10:53 PM
I think everybody should have at least one Mak. Lots of people are into collecting them. I bought an East German once about 4 years ago. I like it alot. They're great little plinkers that make very serviceable defense guns. I'm told that East German ones were of the highest quality.

Coronach
August 12, 2003, 11:10 PM
The thing that everyone "raves" about is not the fact that they are super ergonomic, high-quality, superbly finished and appointed weapons. If you are expecting this, then, yes, you will be disappointed.

They are ugly little spuds that are, as I just said elsewhere, crudely wrought but cunningly designed. The design is sheer genius. It is simplicty given form. And it works. Really really well.

What this adds up to is a very inexpensive gun that will go bang, every time, and will put its rounds into a startlingly small group. Its short on looks, but it performs nicely. I don't think you can find a more economically priced autoloader that you could rely on as a defensive gun.

The biggest beef I have is with the sights. They're...uh...well...milspec.

Mike

Zundfolge
August 12, 2003, 11:48 PM
Everything that Mike said except " Its short on looks" :)

And as for the sights, you can always send the slide off to the guys at Makarov.com and get the low profile novak sights installed :)

David4516
August 13, 2003, 01:27 AM
"What this adds up to is a very inexpensive gun that will go bang, every time, and will put its rounds into a startlingly small group"

That about sums it up. It's a super reliable pistol that won't cost you an arm and a leg. What more could you ask for?

Besides, they're just plain cool...

I've been very happy with my Mak, it's a bulgie. The DA trigger pull is alot better on my Dad's russian Mak, but other than that the quality seems to be about the same.

In terms of "what is this thing good for anyway?", I'd say it is the auto-loader version of a .38 snub, only better. It is thinner, you get 2 to 3 more rounds (depending on if you compare it to a 5 shot snubby or a 6 shot), it's more accurate, it's cheaper, and you get faster reloads. I don't see why anyone could carry a .38 when they could carry a Mak...

And about this "cult" thing, it's really not a cult. Just about anyone who owns a Mak ends up being a Mak fan, it is rare to hear someone bad-mouth it after they've shot one. So why doesn't it have a bigger following? Probably because most people don't even give it a chance. They look at the price tag and say "it must be junk if it's that cheap" :banghead:

Sharpie1
August 13, 2003, 01:57 AM
I have a Bulgarian one and an East German one.

They are extremely accurate and reliable.

I also have several much more expensive handguns.

While all my handguns function properly, I trust the Makarovs as much or more than my more expensive 1911s, etc. - because I know they're less finicky and less likely to malfunction than other autos I own.

You will not regret buying a Makarov.

TD

SSGMike
August 13, 2003, 09:27 AM
With hundreds of thousands of Maks out there, all running beautifully, the one that firestar gets will be junk. It's just kahrma.

coldshot03/04
August 13, 2003, 10:03 AM
Firestar, Good going. Cant wait to hear your take on these guns.:D

I have had mine (Russian) for about 1 1/2 yrs. Not a single hiccup. Well worth the money IMHO. ($159)

CZ52GUY
August 13, 2003, 06:47 PM
I got a Bulgy after buying some CZ-52 accessories here...

www.makarov.com

Some good general information about the Mak's...I was intrigued, I bought a Bulgy, and I'm pretty happy with it.

Good luck and safe shooting,

CZ52'

firestar
August 13, 2003, 07:08 PM
I called about the Mak today but the guy said his distributor was back ordered so I have to call this weekend. I probably won't be able to pick it up until next weekend if he can even get them. Oh well, I don't have time to shoot it for a while anyway so I guess the wait won't kill me.

I've had good luck with mil surplus, it just the American junk I have problems with. Kel-Tec:barf: :barf:

coldshot03/04
August 13, 2003, 11:08 PM
I really dont think that the Makarov will stand up to your standards. (Its not Pot Metal)I mean your a guy that likes the Raven(ZINC) and Bersa/Llama and RAP.(POTMETAL) Really I dont thing this gun is for you. Let someone else have it. :evil:

FireStar, I cant seem to get my P32 to jam or break. What's wrong with it?:p

firestar
August 14, 2003, 07:32 PM
Flyer and Coldshot,

Just for the record, I don't like Raven, Bryco, Jennings, RG, Kel-Tec Llama or any other cheap POS gun. Bersa is good and the RAP is all steel, no pot metal like on the Kel-Tec.

The Mak may be a good gun, it wouldn't surprise me if it was. I'm going to give it a try even though I am not crazy about it yet. The only way to learn if a gun is any good is to get one and shoot it. I didn't like Berettas until I got one and I liked Kel-Tec UNTIL I got and it was a TOTAL and compleat POS!!!!!!!!:barf:

I have the spare cash to be able to buy guns and try them out if I like. If I don't like them, I voice my findings and some people start to whine and cry because a gun they like is revealed to be less than they believe it to be.

I love inexpensive quality guns, I hate cheap junk that breaks and jams because it was made poorly (Kel-Tec P-32). I rank Kel-Tec right with Raven, Bryco, and Jennings. I wouldn't trust my life to any of those guns but if you want to, feel free! I am not going to stop you so why don't you just go about you life and leave me alone.

I will be happy if the Mak preforms as good as my Bersa but if it doesn't, I will let you know.;) You shouldn't let your emotions clod your mind when choosing a gun. I have my favs like everyone else but if my fav gun was a known POS, I might think twice before getting another one or recomending them for self defense. The Kel-Tec is a compromise gun but so are a lot of small carry guns. My little Beretta 21A is a compromise on power (.22lr) but at least it is reliable. I won't compromise on reliability in a self defense gun. It has to fire first and do everything else second. I would rather have a .22lr that will fire all 8 wimpy shots than a Kel-Tec .32acp that might not even get one shot off before the trigger axis breaks or a thousand other things go wrong with it. 8 .22lrs beats ZERO .32acps in my book.:neener:

coldshot03/04
August 14, 2003, 08:20 PM
Pot Metal! Pot Metal! Pot Metal!:evil: :neener: :evil:

ps
My P32 had a hiccup today. 1st shot FTE:( I cleared the chamber and she rolled on 100 more rounds no problem. key word "militec"

coldshot03/04
August 14, 2003, 10:18 PM
"Magazine-book-commando" That should be a cool handle for someone. LMAO!!!:evil:

Sharpie1
August 14, 2003, 11:50 PM
My wife is now mad at me, because YOUR POST made me laugh so hard I woke her up! :eek: :o ;)

Oh well, it's just 11:45.

--tadyson :D

Tecolote
August 15, 2003, 12:38 AM
:evil: :D :evil: And to all a good night.:D

KT-P32
August 15, 2003, 02:14 AM
I like the Maks and I like KTs.:D

antediluvianist
August 15, 2003, 02:39 AM
DAVID4516 wrote:
"In terms of "what is this thing good for anyway?", I'd say it is the auto-loader version of a .38 snub, only better. It is thinner, you get 2 to 3 more rounds (depending on if you compare it to a 5 shot snubby or a 6 shot), it's more accurate, it's cheaper, and you get faster reloads. I don't see why anyone could carry a .38 when they could carry a Mak..."

Very interesting analysis, DAVID4516, thank you. Must try a Mak some day. However... I grant you that the Mak has a fixed barrel, but can it be as RELIABLE in feeding as a Smith snubbie? Very close, probably, but no cigar. Snubbies have a place for worry-warts like me who want the absolutely minimum possibility of things going wrong. Semi-autos just inherently have more possibilities of things going wrong.

I guess I have been traumatized by two 1911s that I owned. Even Kimbers, Valtros, whatever , malfunction. Not a lot but it only takes one malfunction at a really bad time.

9x19
August 15, 2003, 03:08 AM
Perhaps I should consider liquidating my Maks now... before the inevitable bad report (if one is bad they must all be, right?) lowers the value on every single one of them... :scrutiny:

Then again, perhaps not... :neener:

Zundfolge
August 15, 2003, 10:49 AM
antediluvianist, you are laboring under 2 misapprehensions.

1. Makarovs are as likely to malfunction as a 1911 (particularly a real tight competition gun)

2. Wheel guns never malfunction.

But hey, you have to be comfortable with it so I won't tell you what to do :)

antediluvianist
August 15, 2003, 11:23 AM
Well, everyone's enthusiasm for the Makarov impels me to try one. If in fact they malfunction a lot less than 1911s , then you have done me a great favor pointing me in that direction.

I don't think that revolvers- even Smiths or Colts or Korths or whatever- never-ever malfunction, but the probability is less. And as a household gun that my wife and daughter could use in an emergency, especially if I'm away , it's more fool-proof. Aside from the intrinsic greater simplicity of the mechanics, there is no slide-racking involved , and if a chambered round does not go off, they just pull the trigger again.

Anyway, you convinced me : I am now on the lookout for a Mak. Apparently they are relatively inexpensive, so why not?

coldshot03/04
August 15, 2003, 12:19 PM
Maks "Malfunction alot less than 1911s". My Russian Makarov has over 1500rds through it no malfunction period.:D My Springfield, Kimber have had numerous malfuctions.:( I guess what you say is true.;)

Sharpie1
August 15, 2003, 12:54 PM
If you're looking to get rid of your Maks, I will take them off you hands....

:D

--tadyson

lee n. field
August 15, 2003, 05:39 PM
Perhaps I should consider liquidating my Maks now... before the inevitable bad report (if one is bad they must all be, right?) lowers the value on every single one of them..

Already had a bad report.

_Gun Tests_ (I think it was) panned the Makarov. Said the safety on their sample gun flew off spontaneously during shooting. Mak fans (myself included) all wonder how the h*** they managed to pull off that stunt, given that you have to rotate the safety 120 or so degrees _past_ safe position.

firestar
August 15, 2003, 06:40 PM
Flyer wrote:
A Makarov is less likely to malfunction than your .38 snubby.

WOW! I have heard some stupid B.S. in my time on gun boards but that has to be the tops!:D A Makarov is less likely to malfunction than a .38 snubby.:confused: Just where the heck do you come by that pearl of wisdom, oh wise one?:rolleyes: For being a self proclaimed expert on handguns, you sound like a "magazine-book-commando". You could be causing real problems here if a newbie were to read your drivel. :neener:

Give a guy enough rope and...

BTW, if I buy a gun and it is a POS, I will say so. I am not saying that your gun of the same model is a POS. I am just saying that I got a bad one. Some times, a certain gun has a ton of complaints and it is safe to say that most of those same guns are going to be POSs. There are people that have Jennings and Ravens that have never had a problem with them, that doesn't mean they are good guns. In the big picture, it is risky to depend on a gun that has a know QC problem. Based on my experience with my one Kel-Tec P-32, I would NEVER buy another one, your experience may be different. I know your P-32s have broken time and time again but for some reason you still consider them to be good guns. That is fine with me but a gun that breaks with no warning or reason is not what I would consider to be a good choice in a self defense handgun.

firestar
August 15, 2003, 06:44 PM
BTW, SOG had E. German Maks for $69 this month but they were all sold out when I called. The ad said E. German Frames and Slides but when I called they told me that it was compleat guns with internal parts. I don't know if that is true or not but if anyone bought one I would be interested to hear what they received from S.O.G.

9x19
August 15, 2003, 10:54 PM
WOW! I have heard some stupid B.S. in my time on gun boards but that has to be the tops!

Offered as positive proof that firestar is not a student of his own teachings... :neener:

Sharpie1
August 16, 2003, 01:14 AM
I guess since you didn't get the memo it is impossible...IMPOSSIBLE... that the Makarovs were for sale for $69.

coldshot03/04
August 16, 2003, 01:17 AM
I have a revolver that misfires in the DA mode. I have to cock the hammer for reliable firing. My Mak has never failed.:D :p

alamo
August 16, 2003, 01:32 AM
There isn't any way on earth that SOG was selling complete EG Maks for $69, sorry firestar. They sell Bulgarians for $129, EGs are much more valuable.

From the Makarov forum recently (6-27):

-------------------------------------

In SOG's latest printed flyer in the Gunsmith special section, they have lised East German Makarof Frame with slide. If you have the ad it's on page 25. The nice lady I spoke with said they would not ship them to C&R holders.

--------------------------------------

they had a total of 6 pieces @ $69.00 each.
all are SOLD.

----------------------------------------

Bren
August 16, 2003, 02:40 AM
Picture this board as a village if you will. :p

coldshot03/04
August 16, 2003, 10:03 AM
Hi Bren!!!:)

Bren
August 16, 2003, 12:54 PM
Hey there Coldshot, you know a 10mm will keep you warm. :p

SALE!

I have EG Maks for sale @ $49 each.

(Update) Sorry,,, sold out, but you can't beat the advertizing!

Here a couple junkers.

firestar
August 16, 2003, 02:14 PM
They are on one of the last pages of the August flyer. Like I said, the ad said they were frames and slides but when I called, the rep told me they were sold out but they did have the internals. I don't know if that is true but I'm sure someone here probably bought one and they could tell you more if you wished to listen rather than just pretend that you knew everything already. Call S.O.G. and ask them about item number shg-makp on page 25. I know it is "impossible" that they were selling E. German Mak frames and slides for $69.00 but if you call them and find out for yourself, you may find out that you were wrong and I was right (as always).:neener:

Bren
August 16, 2003, 11:13 PM
Oh, I believe you alright. I only paid $150 each for my EG's, thats complete and 100% reliable , numbers matching and no shipping or FFL. So it's really not much of a deal once you factor $$ for non matching parts and the above.

You should be able to find a Mak for a good price locally, your neighbor might have one. :rolleyes:

Tecolote
August 17, 2003, 12:41 AM
Most EGs don't go for less than $250. Finding one for $150 is a great deal. I've never found a deal on anything. My buddy has all the luck. In January he found a NIB Ruskie commercial with all the original accessories and a set of Pearce grips for $100.:cuss:

coldshot03/04
August 17, 2003, 01:08 AM
Bren, Nice Pics...:)

firestar
August 17, 2003, 10:27 AM
You should be able to find a Mak for a good price locally, your neighbor might have one.

Bren, are you trying to say that your my neighbor?:D

Bren
August 17, 2003, 05:41 PM
What,,,, is that a "Mr Rogers" joke or something? :p

David4516
August 18, 2003, 05:49 PM
antediluvianist,

I have never seen an auto-loader that equals the Mak for dependabilty. My Makarov goes bang when I pull the trigger, every time. You can't ask for more. You should give the Mak a try, and if you dont' like it, you can always sell it.

clubsoda22
August 18, 2003, 08:34 PM
coldshot, last i looked my bersa was made of aluminum and steel, not potmetal :rolleyes:

coldshot03/04
August 18, 2003, 09:50 PM
IMHO, The Bersa/Llama = "Pot Metal"!!!:neener:

coldshot03/04
August 20, 2003, 02:44 PM
Have you got it yet? For $69 Id have 3 or 4 handy. I looking forward to your review.:D

Im just plain mean arent I?

David4516
August 20, 2003, 05:12 PM
$69 for a Mak is too good to be true, and $69 for a German Mak is unbelieveable...

mod12
August 20, 2003, 05:55 PM
hey firestar would you discribe this purchase as being for someone you care about or don't care about? also gauge the intensity of your caring. indulge us.

Rick Blaine
August 20, 2003, 11:06 PM
Firestar,
If you are looking for an honest opinion and are really wanting to by a Mak I have to tell you that I am very happy with mine. It's a bulgie that I bought for $179.00 with an extra mag. I mostly bought it on a lark because of all the talk on the boards, but when I shot it for the first time I was very impressed by the accuracy. It's not fancy, but IMHO it's a real value. It's easy to clean, and the ammo is cheap. If you like to shoot a lot I think you'll enjoy one. The comparison to a .38 is a good one as far as size, weight, and punch of the round. By the way, I know some Cubans who used Maks in some nasty far away places while serving under Fidel. They swear by their Maks and would never carry anything else.

Stonewall
August 22, 2003, 10:05 PM
Hey all! :) Figured I'd add my 2 cents...

I just got my first Makarov on the 16th. For $169 I got a Bulgarian (KT 27) 2 magazines, and both grips (black thumb rest and red bakelite? w/star) and the cleaning rod. It still had alot of cosmo in it, and after a detailed cleaning I took it to the range. It looks like an unissued one. There are no wear marks anywhere on it at all.
I shot 125 rounds at the range to get a feel for it. Ammo used is as follows: S&B 95gr. FMJ, Barnual 95gr. HP, and Wolf 109gr. FMJ. I was able to easily get 2-3 inch groups at 7 and 10 yds with slow fire. Off hand and rapid fire produced very good groups as well. Single action trigger pull was very nice with a good reset. Double action seemed a bit heavy, but not a hinderance at all. The sights were good for military issue, but with the "pointing" qualities of this great pistol it shouldn't be an issue at all.

All in all I am VERY pleased with the accuracy and feel of the pistol! I think my Glock 23 will be gathering dust for a little while... :D

Zip06
August 23, 2003, 12:33 AM
If you plan on carrying the Mak concealed you need to dump those cheezy grips and order the issue East German black grips. They are the thinnest and most comfortable of any plastic/bakelite grips. You can get them at www.makarov.com

If you think the trigger is fine now with the Bulgie, wait until you have a few hundred rounds through the gun. The trigger improves with use.

Stephen A. Camp
August 23, 2003, 12:40 AM
Hello. Not the prettiest nor best finished handgun in the world, my experiences with Makarovs has been positive.

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/makarov.htm

Best.

If you enjoyed reading about "I may be getting a Makarov." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!