Hibbard?

PDA

Hatchett
August 12, 2003, 08:26 PM
I'm considering buying a number of old shotguns from a friend. One of these shotguns, I seem to be unable to identify. It is a single-barreled top lever shotgun with an exposed hammer, and it looks pretty old. On one side, it says "Hibbard," which I guess is the manufacturer, but I've never heard that name before. On the other side, it says "Model W.H.-"

Does anyone have any idea what this is? Can you tell me it's age, value, quality, that sort of thing?

If you enjoyed reading about "Hibbard?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jagermeister
August 13, 2003, 06:08 AM
Harchett:

Hibard is a trade name, used by Crescent Firearms on shotguns made for Hibbard, Spencer Bartlett of Chicago Ill. Hibbard & Spencer were deales in Chicago from 1880 to 1863. They later became Hibard, Spencer & Bartlett & Co until 1919. You may also find stamped on the gun H&B Co or HSB & Co. If this is stamped on the gun it was probably made after 1863.

I don't have a specific date of mfg and the collector value is minimal. The single bbl guns were inexpensive, good utility guns. However, I would't shoot it unless I had a reputable gunsmith look at it.

Value? This is difficult, If it is in halfway decent shape probably $75.00.

JM

If you enjoyed reading about "Hibbard?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!