i can't tell if i want a ruger p-series

PDA

MJRW
August 13, 2003, 12:02 AM
One of the special runs, a blue/black P95 is only 329.99 new. 40$ rebate makes that awfully inexpensive. Its hard to pass up at that price. But I have like no feeling toward it at all. Man, its hard when a quality firearm is that inexpensive but you don't really want it. Is there something wrong with me?

If you enjoyed reading about "i can't tell if i want a ruger p-series" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
WhoKnowsWho
August 13, 2003, 12:28 AM
I've been thinking about one for a while too but can't bring myself to get one even with the rebate... I don't like the magazine release mainly... once I get one I would probably get used to it, but until then...

So no, there is nothing wrong with you.

SelfProclaimedExpert
August 13, 2003, 12:31 AM
No. Its just like those jeans you bought that you never wear or the Thighmaster in your closet. It doesn't matter if something seems like a wise purchase if you have no will to use it.

I always recommend that people buy pistols that fascinate them or allow multiple uses (like target shooting and defense), rather than just utility guns. The Ruger may be the perfect gun to take camping, but you'll probably take your ______ anyway, because that's the one you like.

But hey, if you're the guy who digs the no-nonsense bulk of the P series, it's a good deal.

Flashpoint
August 13, 2003, 01:34 AM
Sounds like a debate between the wants and the needs. You gotta ask yourself,"would I rather have the gun or the $300, and do I really need the gun." Most of the time when I do that, I will talk myself out of the purchase. Which on the other hand Rugers are tough guns, and at that price you could find out how tough they are.:evil:

Sharpie1
August 13, 2003, 02:14 AM
i can't tell if i want a ruger p-series

I can. You don't want one.

If I were in your shoes, I would go find a gun that I *really* wanted, put a $300 layaway down payment on it, and be really satisfied when you finally pick it up.

I have done this many times. :D

You will thank me for this advice later. ;)

TD

BHPshooter
August 13, 2003, 02:21 AM
I'm having a hard time deciding if I want one as well. I kind of like the idea of the P-89, if I can find it without two-tone :barf: . Of course, it's not like it's good-looking to begin with, but it is pretty cheap and has a reputation of reliability.

Of course, part of my decision is that until friday, I can't buy the plastic wrapper off of a slice of cheese. :uhoh: Which, of course, is brought on by buying 100 dollars worth of stuff for your BHP, plus 50 dollars worth of ammo. :rolleyes: I'm retarded.

I would like to have something that I'm not afraid to ding up, and that I wouldn't feel anal about. I'm just too in love with my Browning for that.

Hey, I'm getting an idea... where's a good place to look for USED P-89s?

Oh, man. I'd better go to bed while I'm still ahead.

Wes

Flashpoint
August 13, 2003, 11:39 AM
Hey, I'm getting an idea... where's a good place to look for USED P-89s?

In my neck of the woods, just about anywhere. I just traded my P89 off for a Sig p239 and the dealer already had a couple in the case, but he said he sells them pretty quick so I ended up getting a pretty fair trade. I have walked onto very few pawn shops or gun shows and not seen a P89. I wish I could have kept mine but I wanted a small 9mm I could carry and couldn't afford to drop the cash for a whole other gun.

Dr.Rob
August 13, 2003, 11:53 AM
It's big for a carry gun, but reliable and should last a lifetime. If you have big hands and wear a big belt, CCWong a p-series Ruger shouldn't be so bad. Corrosion resistance is excellent on the Rugers.

I know 2 people who use a P series as their CCW/IDPA pistol.

CZ52GUY
August 13, 2003, 12:35 PM
Hi,

I have the P95-DC and very much enjoy it.

However, if I had ~$300 to spend, and was unsure, I'd probably set it aside until I was.

$329 - 40 is an excellent deal...but only if you wouldn't rather invest the $289 net somewhere else.

Good luck and safe shooting,

CZ52'

mini14jac
August 13, 2003, 12:37 PM
If you don't have any feelings for it, I would pass on it.
I have a P95 that I love, but I wanted it for a home defense/shtf/plinking gun. It doesn't get me excited, but it is a joy to shoot.

I bought a P97 a while back.
I knew it had a great rep, was decently priced (even before the rebate), and would probably last a long time.
After I bought it, it was all of those things and more, but it felt like I had just bought another P95. I never really warmed to it.
I traded it on a S&W 457, and I get a warm fuzzy from that gun.

Go figure. :rolleyes:

If you enjoyed reading about "i can't tell if i want a ruger p-series" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!