Target Shooting in NJ for non-residents

PDA

WinkingTiger
April 9, 2008, 05:56 PM
I am a resident of NY state and I have a NYS pistol license.

Where can I go to research the laws regarding target shooting in NJ for non residents?

If you enjoyed reading about "Target Shooting in NJ for non-residents" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tom488
April 10, 2008, 12:51 AM
Where can I go to research the laws regarding target shooting in NJ for non residents?
http://www.njleg.state.nj.us
On the left, scroll down and find the link to "Statutes". You're interested in Title 2C, Chapter 39. Specifically, 2C:39-5 and 2C:39-6.

Of course, research it yourself, but I'll summarize: It is legal for you to transport pistols, rifles, or shotguns DIRECTLY to an approved target range here in NJ (DIRECTLY means no deviations in course between the state line and said range. No stopping to visit a friend, no stopping at the store to buy ammo/targets, and I'd advise filling/emptying the tank [the vehicle's and your's] prior to crossing the border), provided that the firearms are unloaded, and either locked in the trunk or in locked cases, with the ammunition stored separately.

By "approved range", I'm talking about a rifle/pistol club, or commercial range... not your friend's farm (farms? in NJ? Yeah, they exist)

The firearms and magazines must be NJ-legal, which, for NY'ers, means no pre-ban semi-autos, no semi-auto shotguns with pistol grips, folding stocks, or magazines >6 rounds, and no rifle or pistol magazines >15 rounds.

Oh yeah... welcome to the Garden State :D

WinkingTiger
April 10, 2008, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the info.

I was at a Dick's Sporting Goods once and I asked to look at one of the shotguns.
I showed the clerk my NY Pistol License as well as my hunting license.

He nicely told me that he can't show it to me unless I have a NJ Firearms Identification Card.

At that point as asked a few more questions and then I realized that NJ is not a gun friendly state at all.

Tom488
April 10, 2008, 08:55 AM
He nicely told me that he can't show it to me unless I have a NJ Firearms Identification Card.
Well, given the fact that he couldn't sell it to you without you having an FID, I suppose there was no point in him showing it to you. I suppose one could make the stretch that by holding the shotgun in the store, you would be in "possession" of it, which isn't legal without said FID.

I realized that NJ is not a gun friendly state at all
Not much gets by you, huh? :D

geekWithA.45
April 10, 2008, 09:47 AM
NJ: Legislatively institutionalized hostility to guns and their owners since 1966!

GRIZ22
April 10, 2008, 10:00 AM
Check NJSP.ORG for interprtations of NJ gun laws also.

If you enjoyed reading about "Target Shooting in NJ for non-residents" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!