Change the search engine

PDA

boomstik45
April 10, 2008, 02:35 PM
Whoever changed the way the search engine used to work....is an idiot. Now, unless everything is at least 3 letters or numbers long, the engine refuses to find it. Which means if you're looking for something like an HK USP .40, neither HK nor .40 will be searched for. Brilliant. I wonder how many other people are having similar problems? Change the search engine, please.

If you enjoyed reading about "Change the search engine" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
exar
April 10, 2008, 03:21 PM
....is an idiot

Whoa, harsh word's considering who's doing this work...for nearly free...:rolleyes:

A kind member did a little work for you already in the sticky post above this. http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=335444

And here is what he created: http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=005288657797907197482%3Ajuqp1cxyfxy

There is this also, our THR tech is working on it. http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=346483

Car Knocker
April 10, 2008, 03:30 PM
HK** USP* generated 368 hits.

I'm sure you don't want to voluntarily associate with idiots so perhaps it would be best if you requested a refund on your membership fee?

VHinch
April 10, 2008, 04:04 PM
As I understand it, the change is a result of the recent server switch. Derek has said he will be rebuilding the search database, but it will take some time. Considering the great job he does with the administration of this place, I'd say he deserves a word of thanks from all of us, not this silly criticism.

MikePGS
April 10, 2008, 05:36 PM
If you were to search this forum, you would see that Derek is rebuilding the search database. There certainly isn't any reason to attack someone who is doing this free of charge. However, you can temporarily use the google search that's stickied on this forum until it's fully restored.

WayneConrad
April 10, 2008, 06:45 PM
....is an idiot
I'm sure your mother taught you better manners than that. Give her a call. She'll explain it to you again.

dwave
April 10, 2008, 07:00 PM
Have you ever upgraded software only to find some of your old stuff doesn't work anymore? Thats what happened here. Server upgrade and software too.

RNB65
April 10, 2008, 10:29 PM
Use Google and forget the search function.
-

ShunZu
April 10, 2008, 11:33 PM
I'd say he deserves a word of thanks from all of us, not this silly criticism.

+1

The criticism wasn't very high road. Derek works hard for peanuts. I never complain about the coffee in the morning either... I might end up making it.

TimboKhan
April 11, 2008, 12:10 AM
I won't be shy in saying that this is crap. Calling Derek, who is the person in question, an idiot is both insulting and ridiculous. Had you used the search engine that you complain so righteously about, you would have found that he is already trying to fix this exact problem. Tell you what genius, you move our servers within a very short (and generally problem-free) period of time, work to fix problems (like ISP attacks), and still have a life, all for FREE for a month or so. If you can do it, then you can call Derek into question. Until then, learn to be polite.

Edit to add: Actually, I am even more irate now that I realize that the thread that deals with this very problem is only 4 threads below this one. Not only that, but Derek SPECIFICALLY ASKS FOR SUGGESTIONS!!! Never have I wanted to curse more in a thread than I do in this one...

hso
April 11, 2008, 12:27 AM
See this thread from March 9 - Help me fix search (http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=346483)

I'm going to need to tweak the database search settings so that some words smaller than 4 letters are indexed.

You might want to post in it that you can't search ".40" or "HK" instead of starting a thread calling another member who happens to be the SysOp and the Owner of a site that tens of thousands of people use for free (THR) every day an idiot.

grampster
April 11, 2008, 12:30 AM
Boomstik45,

Manners my mother taught me prohibits me telling you what I'd like to tell you.
Suffice to say, you owe Derek an apology as well as the rest of the membership of THR. If you're not man/woman enough to do that, then perhaps you could find some where else to spend your time.

Old Fuff
April 11, 2008, 01:02 AM
If it wasn't for several "idiots," the High Road wouldn't be here. I can easily wait until the search feature is fixed, and will simply be glad when it is. I get a lot of benefits for doing very little work.

As they say, "never look a gift horse in the mouth... "

ArfinGreebly
April 11, 2008, 01:29 AM
*Checks Calendar*

Ah, yes, it's Thursday.

Right on time.

Is there anything else you'd like to gripe about while you're here? This is, after all, the official mod bashing day.

Perhaps you'd like to criticize the software we use for the forum? The hosting company? The physical server location? Choice of server box?

I'd sure if you work at it, you can really tell us off, and earn the respect and admiration of the rest of the High Road's membership.

It's sad that our work is not up to your standards.

Please grace us with your wisdom and enlighten us with your illumination of the many faults we must surely have.

I must apologize that you have been held hostage here for so long, unable to achieve the excellence that is clearly your due.

I hereby release you from your obligation to suffer the indignations heaped upon you by an uncaring and incompetent staff.

We'll try to do better in future.

marksman13
April 11, 2008, 02:44 AM
"Is there anything else you'd like to gripe about while you're here? This is, after all, the official mod bashing day."

Yep, the fact that this thread is still open. Didn't think personal attacks were allowed.

Strings
April 11, 2008, 03:00 AM
Can I complain about that ArfinGreebly guy? He seems awfully high-handed, mean spirited, and is probably WAY overpaid for what he does here... :P

I always love how folks want to complain about the job someone does for free. Mayhap the OP needs to find a new venue to invest in?

Biker
April 11, 2008, 09:16 AM
Don't like this fine site? Don't appreciate all the hard work Derek does for free?

Take the train. Hasta la bye-bye.

Biker

XavierBreath
April 13, 2008, 08:58 AM
Apology accepted (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=355649).

If you enjoyed reading about "Change the search engine" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!