M&P 9 firing pin hole

PDA

Quoheleth
April 11, 2008, 11:49 AM
I've been reloading for my 9mm M&P which is why I even noticed this - I'm now picking up my brass.

On my fired cartridges, the primer has a small, oval-shaped bump that comes out right next to where the firing pin has punched into the primer. I'm writing from work so don't have camara access to gun or shell. Scrounging around my office for an object of comparison, the oval is about the size of a 1.5mm length of paperclip. truly pretty small.

Showed it to a buddy, thinking I was having reloading problems - but that didn't make sense because my loads are super mild (3.8 Universal under 125 lead round nose - just barely ejects the brass to clear my arm). He looked into the action of my M&P and observed that at the base of my firing pin hole, the 6'o clock position, it looks like a small chip has come out of the receiver. But it is deep enough that the primer, when fired, flows back into this small hole.

I have deprimed all of my first rounds with the gun, so I cannot compare to when I first bought it. I do not recall seeing that hole when I first cleaned the gun or in the first batches I deprimed. I only noticed it a few weeks ago. I remember one round where I pulled the trigger and the sound was odd - I cannot describe it - and it felt wierd. I opened the action (after waiting 20-30 seconds for a hangfire) and sure enough, there was a round that had a small indentation on the primer but did not fire. Assuming a bad round, I cleared the action and proceeded to fire the remaining rounds fine. That has been the only problem/FTF with the gun. Now I wonder if that wasn't the firing pin somehow shifting and hitting just enough of the hole to chip a piece away.

Is this a problem that I can live with or should I get it sent off to Smith muy pronto for repair?

Q

If you enjoyed reading about "M&P 9 firing pin hole" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
If you enjoyed reading about "M&P 9 firing pin hole" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!