9mm CCW Best One To Buy?

PDA

freebird
April 11, 2008, 12:18 PM
I know this has been asked I am sure a million times before but I am trying to narrow down my search. I have every other gun out there except for a 9mm. I originally bought a Taurus PT-145 for my CCW and love it but have been spoiled by my Kel-Tec P3AT that is so easy to carry. I want something similar to that in a 9mm that I can carry everyday. I am trying to decide between a Kel-Tec PF-9 or the Kahr PM9 (or any other suggestions). I know there is a major price difference!! Are the Kel-Tec's reliable enough to depend on? I know my P3AT I had to polish the feed ramp to get it running smoothly. I want something small and light in a 9mm but that I can depend on for it to go bang when needed. I know many will say get a Rohrbaugh but I can't afford one right now. I am open to any suggestions on anything. Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "9mm CCW Best One To Buy?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
WayneConrad
April 11, 2008, 12:24 PM
I carry the Kahr P9, the full-size version of the PM9. Functions flawlessly. The double-action-only trigger is very nice. I sold my Walther P99, a great pistol, because the double-stack magazine made it too large for my small hands. The P9, with its single-stack magazine, doesn't hold many rounds but it fits my hands perfectly. That means the rounds go where I aim them.

I know that may not be much help, since the P9 isn't a PM9, and I can't tell you anything about the Kel-Tec. But I can tell you that the trigger on the Kahr is perfect. It's not too light, not too heavy, and breaks cleanly. I hope that helps some.

Caleb Longstreet
April 11, 2008, 12:40 PM
Plenty of stuff out there but I often wonder about all the controversy that surrounds Kel-Tec if it's worth the risk.....any weapon that has to go through a "fluff and buff" when new in my opinion, isn't worth the money.....why should I have to do ANYTHING to make a weapon function reliably when new....

Not improved mind you, but new? I have yet to buy a Colt, Smith, Browning, Baretta, or Glock and have to do ANYTHING to it once I buy it....

They ALL shoot FLAWLESSLY out of the box....it's like buying a car, wouldn't you be a bit suspicious of a car if you had to "tweak" it once you bought it just to make sure it runs?

Don't think so and you shouldn't either. Just buy a well known brand with history. The Kahr is a nice, small, compact, reliable auto.

Buy a name if for no other reason, your survivors might have someone to sue if it fails.....Kel-Tec? They would pack that CNC shop up in a few trailers and be gone that afternoon much like Jennings, Raven, and Phoenix???

Not worth the risk....just my opinion...

gilfo
April 11, 2008, 01:14 PM
Check out the CZ Rami. A little heavier than the PM9 but in my opinion a whole lot more dependable. Had a PM9 after "breaking it in" still had a boat load of problems. Bought a Rami Poly and never looked back. Lost a lot of money and confindence on Kahr products.

freebird
April 11, 2008, 01:20 PM
I like the CZ Rami, a very nice gun and a good price! But it appears to be about 10 oz heavier than the Karh and I wonder how much difference this will make? I guess I am just spoiled by the Kel-Tec being so light. I may have to give up the lightness though for something reliable. I would carry my PT-145 all the time if it were not so heavy. I ride a lot on my motorcycle and love something light and not bulky but yet reliable and at a decent price! The Karh's are way over priced in my opinion!

goon
April 11, 2008, 01:21 PM
I have no complaints with my Kahr P-9 in terms of reliability or accuracy.
It is also very slim and portable.
I do have to say that after 3-4 years of carrying and shooting it, I'm still not as comfortable with it as I would like to be. It's definitely more of a carry gun than a shooting gun and it's never really fit my moderately large hands quite right.
For those reasons alone, it might get replaced this summer.

But as far as being a good gun, I don't think you could do a whole lot better.
I do agree with you about price though - a new Kahr isn't cheap.
And if you do have to use it and wind up having the police confiscate it, you have to buy another one.
I don't know for sure, but CDNN often has used Glocks in stock. Maybe they'd have a G-26 at a reasonable price.

With Kel-Tec, I've been told that they make some type of component for the US military an that the gun business is sort of something they started doing on the side. Might be gun store gossip but then again, maybe they were the lowest bidder who could make it work (seems to be their "niche").

Tribal
April 11, 2008, 01:27 PM
I have a Kahr PM9 and it's both concealable and pretty light. I've had no FTF or FTE problems, although racking the first round can be a problem sometimes (never while firing, however). So long as you don't carry in Condition 3 it's not a problem. Basically, it's a thinner version of a Glock. If I had it to buy over, I'd have gotten the version with the black slide and the tritium sights.

Kel-Tec? They would pack that CNC shop up in a few trailers and be gone that afternoon much like Jennings, Raven, and Phoenix
I don't get the impression that Kel-Tec is a fly-by-night operation. Their guns may be inexpensive and sometimes need work, but the designs are innovative and they fill their niche (inexpensive, decent-quality firearms) well.

springmom
April 11, 2008, 01:35 PM
Depending upon your size and where you live you might want to think about the Browning HiPower. It's just a little too big for me to conceal very well, but that has to do with Middle Aged Lady Curves rather than the gun itself. If you're built such that you can carry it and keep it concealed, there just isn't a better 9mm out there, imo.

Springmom

WayneConrad
April 11, 2008, 01:48 PM
RE: Trouble chambering the first round on a Kahr P9.

The Kahr P9 will teach you to not ride the slide even a little when chambering the first round. So long as you release the slide cleanly, it will chamber the first round. ;)

BlindJustice
April 11, 2008, 01:51 PM
CZ 75 variants all steel except
and DA -or- SA Cocked & Locked as noted
& Have a good rep. for reliability, accuracy,
Good Value for the money

These are the short in height frame 14 rd mag. cap.
CZ 2075 "Romi" 3" Bbl. 26.6 oz
CZ PCR 3.9" Bbl. 27.2 oz. w/alloy frame & De-Ccocker*
CZ Compact 3.9" Bbl. 33.6 oz

I plan on getting a CZ 75B Full size "Duo-TOne" which
has the black polycoat slide/controls, and a satin nickel
frame. MSRP is close to $600 but my gun dealer quoted
me a price of $508 & after I found some on Gunbroker
Standard blued around $ 450 by the time you add S&H &
Transfer fee I might as well get the deal local.

I wish they made a compact with the alloy frame that
wasn't a "De-Cocker - they disable the thumb safety and
it is used as the De-cocker function. I like the option of
thumbing the safety on if i'm pausing in the field.

m4coyote
April 11, 2008, 01:59 PM
I can easily recommend the Kahr PM9. Mine has been very dependable, and it has flawlessly digested a couple thousand rounds now. The PM9 replaced the Kel Tec P3AT that I used to carry, and is much more accurate. My P3AT was always dependable, but would not hit the side of a barn from the inside. It might get one or two shots on an 8.5" X 11" target at 10 - 15 ft. My little PM9 will group within two inches at ten yards - all day long.

Northalius
April 11, 2008, 07:33 PM
Whatever you get, make sure to have a backup! Even if that backup is a .32 or .22 Magnum, it's way better than nothing... if / when your primary clonks out on you. The most reliable brand name guns can FTF, FTE, or just have a kB from bad factory rounds! Never trust your life to just one gun! Get two (or more, if you can!).

I'd personally just say: Suck it up, and at least put a Glock 26 SubCompact in IWB, or ankle carry it! Then get a nice backup gun for that. ;)

mavracer
April 11, 2008, 07:45 PM
Hk P7psp

Dan-O
April 11, 2008, 11:27 PM
Kahr PM9.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w71/dantruesdale/100_2510.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w71/dantruesdale/100_2628.jpg

Second pic is the PM9 on the left, and the PM45 on the right

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w71/dantruesdale/100_2631.jpg

Last pic is the PM9 on the bottom, PM45 in the middle, and a CW40 on top

modifiedbrowning
April 11, 2008, 11:39 PM
Take a look at the Walther PPS.

freebird
April 11, 2008, 11:55 PM
Thanks guys! You are giving me some great options here that I did not even know were out there! Is the Glock 26 really small enough to ankle carry? I did not even know Walther had a 9mm that close to the Kel-Tec size. Are the Walther and Hk P7 just as accurate as the Kahr? If so I am sure they are also much better priced! Keep the good info coming! Thanks!

Northalius
April 12, 2008, 01:33 AM
freebird, Glock Sub Compacts (G26, G27 (.40), G33 (.357 SIG) and G39 (.45 GAP)) can all be ankle carried.

Go to www.GlockStore.com and on the list to the left you'll see "Ankle Holsters" click on that, and look at some of the pictures with Sub Glocks in their ankle holsters! Also keep in mind, the ones they show have a pinky extension, which you don't have to put on, so as to make it stick out less when concealing it on your ankle.

While you're there, order their free paper catalog to be mailed to you! It's nice if you plan on buying a Glock! MANY aftermarket parts for Glocks! You'll be overwhelmed! :)

The 9mm G26 can also use the 15, 17 and 33 round magazines, if you want! The 15 and 17 rounders are sometimes carried for "higher capacity backup mags" by those that like being prepared for SHTF situations. The 33 round G18 mags are used for special zombie defense (;)), or simply used for nice long range sesions... if you load up 5-7 of them. :D

R&J
April 12, 2008, 03:48 AM
Simple, Glock 26.

Glock 19, if you want it to double for bedside duty.

For from-the pocket-firing, look at a hammerless .38 special.

--Ray

Dan-O
April 12, 2008, 08:10 AM
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w71/dantruesdale/100_2506.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w71/dantruesdale/100_2508.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w71/dantruesdale/100_2507.jpg

I carried the PF9 religiously for about 8 months. I found it reliable enough, but now that I have made the move to the Kahr, the PF9 has become a safe queen. I still do carry one of my P38t's when I want something as minimal as possible.

The Kahr PM9 outperforms my Keltecs in every facet. Yes, it is twice as much, but reliability, shootability, and accuracy are first in my book when choosing a gun that can save my life.

tblt
April 12, 2008, 08:32 AM
I would go with the Khar before the kel tec.I have never shot either just going by what I have herd and what I would do.I have been looking at the CW-9 because of price.I would love to get the CZ rami because I love a gun with a hammer but it's much wider.

Pilot
April 12, 2008, 09:37 AM
Are the Walther and Hk P7 just as accurate as the Kahr?

Can't speak to the Walther as I don't own one, but I have two P7's. The P7 will be the most accurate of the bunch and probably be the most accurate pistol you've ever shot. They are heavier than all the others, but with a good holster and belt that is not a problem. Right now the German police trade in P7E's (what people are calling PSP's) are great deals right now at less than $700. Get one now.

mavracer
April 12, 2008, 10:09 AM
The P7 will be the most accurate of the bunch and probably be the most accurate pistol you've ever shot.
+1

freebird
April 12, 2008, 01:18 PM
Do they still make the Hk P7psp? I am on their site now and the smallest I see is a P2000SK would this be the smalles subcompact that H&K makes?

freebird
April 12, 2008, 02:43 PM
Well I made up a little chart compairing gun weights and sizes and it appears that the Kahr will be the route I will go. I really hate to spend the money on it because they are too overpriced. I like all the others listed but the Kahr seems to be the lightest and smallest. The others in weight and size are getting pretty close to being in the area of my Taurus PT-145. If that is the case I might as well just keep carrying the Taurus.

For those of you who have shot many of the sub-compacts listed will the Kahr be just as accurate and reliable as the Glock 26 or the Walther or CZ's and H&K's? I know I am giving up some rounds with the Kahr but I am looking at lightweight/concealability and reliability. Let me know what you think. Thanks for all of the help!

Specs Glock G26 9x19/ Taurus Mil Pro 111/ Walther 9mm PPS/ Kahr PM9
Length 6.29"/ 6.125"/ 6.3"/ 5.3"
Height 4.17"/ 5.125"/ 4.4"/ 4.0"
Weight 19.75 oz/ 18.7 oz/ 19.4 oz/ 14 oz/
Width 1.18"/ 1.125"/ 1.04"/ .90" Slide
Cap 10/ 10 / 6 & 7 RD/ 6 & 7 RD/

Specs Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm/ CZ Rami/ Taurus Mil Pro 145/HK P2000
Length 6.7"/ 6.6"/ 6-1/8"/ 6.42"
Height 4.3"/ 4.7"/ 5.125"/ 4.61
Weight 21.7 oz/ 1.5 lbs/ 22.2 oz/ 1.4 lbs
Width 1.2"/ 1.3"/ 1.25/ 1.28
Cap 12/ 10/ 10/ 10

Sorry The Chart Did Not Lay Out Correctly Once Sumbmitted.

Northalius
April 12, 2008, 03:03 PM
In general, from my studying, the Kahr doesn't hold a candle to Glocks' reliability and durability (standing up to "the elements" without rusting); actually, I'd bet none of the guns listed do, either. Glocks have been through a multitude of torture tests over the many years they've been out, and they've gained the reputation for being one of thee most (if not, then THEE most) reliable semi-automatics in the world.

The stock Glock 26 holds 11 rounds altogether (10+1), just to clarify for others. ;)

You can get 2 round extensions, as well as being able to have a 15 or 17 round magazine for higher capacity backup mag.

It's up to you, though. Give up reliability for a more comfortable carry? Or give up a little physical comfort for more of a MENTAL comfort, knowing your gun (Glock) WILL go "Bang" when it needs to?

Up to you. :D

I'd strongly suggest you go to the range and fire all of them; then, if you could, ask if you could try concealing the Glock IWB, ankle and pocket.

The key to more comfortable carry is: GOOD holster (I'm checking out SmartCarry now), and good clothing (which might have to be a size bigger... no big deal!). Best to dress around your gun, which is a more reliable gun; rather than compromize reliability simply because the smaller mousegun is more comfortable to carry in your present clothes / holster.

Just my opinion though.

P.S. it's always smart to have a backup gun to any primary gun you have! "Just in case." ;)

Lonestar49
April 12, 2008, 03:15 PM

Take a good look at SA's EMP 3" 1911 9mm single-stack mags 9+1

1400 perfect, flawless rounds to-date. Comes with real Night Sights, 3 mags

This gun sets the standard for small 9mm 1911 SAO, locked and cocked, light, crisp, trigger break and pull, every-time..

Ls

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc306/Lonestar49/Picture231.jpg

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc306/Lonestar49/Picture224.jpg

Chortdraw
April 12, 2008, 03:41 PM
Such a perrrdy weapon

DawgFvr
April 13, 2008, 01:02 AM
I'm a bit new on the 9mm scene. Years ago I owned a Glock 19...sold it...for some reason...I'm not sure why now that I think of it. The weapon did not make much of an impression on me to be honest. I'm a revolver guy...and I recently came to the conclusion, that my recent purchase of SA/DA 9mm was a mistake. I just do not care for SA/DA...it's the SA that bothers me. I can only abide by a DAO pistol. All my weapons need to be DAO with the exception of my rifle and shotty. I am now seriously looking at the Kahr K9. I like the fact that it is all metal...small...(actually light compared to my Ruger GP100 which I carry). The only improvement I can see on it is...well, I think the magazine port needs to be bevelled for quicker mag insert.

NWdude83
April 13, 2008, 03:13 AM
CW9 (paid $400). I love mine but am looking to sell it to fund a new gun purchase, and I just don't carry that often. Less than 200rds through it, excellent condition. Comes with 7rd mag w/pearce grip ext, 8rd mag w/factory grip extension, stainless guide rod (plus original) Hogue rubber sleeve grip, and Uncle Mikes rubber sleeve grip. Blade-Tech kydex IWB holster.

Btw article on CW9 in new issue of AutoPistols magazine.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c83/NWguy83/New001.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c83/NWguy83/New001-1.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c83/NWguy83/New002.jpg

Tribal
April 13, 2008, 03:45 AM
From my own experiences, ankle carry of anything bigger than a P-3AT is problematic; I wouldn't carry even so much as a PM9 there unless I were wearing very baggy cargo pants. As small as the Baby Glocks are, they're still awfully thick.

IWB (or even better, OWB) is the way to go. I hardly notice my Kahr when I carry IWB with an Uncle Mike's holster, and I'm sure that a better holster would be even less noticeable.

Seven For Sure
April 13, 2008, 08:18 AM
I've got a Kahrs. P9 and PM9. If it's for IWB only, go for the P9. If you might pocket carry, go for the PM9. Both have been flawless after 1,000's of rds. Both are about four years old. The PM9 fit's in most of my pockets o.k. but it's a bit heavy for that IMO. I hate pocket carry though. I only pocket carry when I work in the yard and am fishing on the boat.

Travis McGee
April 13, 2008, 08:34 AM
Kel Tec P-11 is my everyday carry.

glockman19
April 13, 2008, 12:36 PM
I pocket carry my Glock 26. It is the same length & height as my S&W 642/442.

freebird
April 13, 2008, 04:43 PM
Wow! I really like the EMP! Nice! Nice! Nice! but money! money! Money! but I would buy it before a Kahr PM9 with night sights. Very, very beautiful gun!

TAC
April 14, 2008, 12:43 AM
Consider a S&W 3913.

phrozenlikwid
April 14, 2008, 01:03 AM
I personally have yet to find a better CCW/small gun than the Kahr series. At the moment I primarily travel with a Kahr P9, and have an E9 and a K9 that get moved about as well.

For me, these are the perfect size and form factor. The grip is just large enough that I can wrap all my fingers around (I wear a size large glove), yet small enough to not be a nuisance. The thinness of the pistols make them simply vanish from sight (For carry on my person I run a FIST IWB), yet I am able to shoot them as well as/better than some of my bigger pistols. I have had no problems to report out of these three in many rounds, but I have had/seen firsthand some FTF issues with a 45 model, and the micro .40 (actually, several of these).

For a gun conceals like a dream and can still pull occasional range duty, I think the K/E/P series 9mm Kahr is about as good as it gets. If money is a concern, I would scour the various boards for a used CW9 or E9( $350ish or less), but realize these generally only come with one magazine and sell pretty quick. Especially at that price (and even for the more expensive models), I personally couldn't do any better.

austin360
April 14, 2008, 02:56 PM
Para Ordnance Carry 9.

DawgFvr
April 14, 2008, 03:25 PM
Well...I am seriously looking at the Kahr K9 elite...I like the idea of a small, all steel, DAO 9mm pistol.

Solid
April 14, 2008, 03:59 PM
Simple, Glock 26.

Glock 19, if you want it to double for bedside duty.

For from-the pocket-firing, look at a hammerless .38 special.

--Ray

He'd be better off with his P3AT than a .38 snubby. Ballistics tests, Strasbourg, etc all show the .380 ACP is more potent than a .38 special from a 2" barrel.

DAdams
April 14, 2008, 05:08 PM
my PM 9, but I like my S&W M&P 340 snubbie with XS night sights and Crimson Trace laser grips even better.
38spl, 38spl +P or .357 magnum.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/dmadams/P3040043.jpg

Here is the PM 9.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/dmadams/P2140017-1.jpg

If you plan on pocket carrying or ankle, the lighter the better. 16 oz was the maximum I was comfortable with.

Walther PPS vs PM9

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/dmadams/PPSvsPM9004.jpg

PPS is larger as you can see in the two pics.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/dmadams/PPSvsPM9003.jpg

Specification
Walther PPS Kahr PM9 Comparison
Material: Polymer Polymer Same
Caliber: 9MM 9MM Same
Overall Length: 6.3" 5.3" 15% Shorter
Overall Height: 4.4" 4.0" 9% Smaller
Width: 1.04" 0.90" 13% Slimmer
Wgt w/o mag: 19.4 ounces 14.8 ounces 24% Lighter
Barrel Length: 3.2" 3.0" 6% Shorter

Nasty
April 14, 2008, 06:37 PM
Kel Tec PF9 for me...the only fluff I did was to finish removing the mold flashing. It's been totally reliable since the first shot and shoots a 2 inch group at 20 yards offhand standing.

I'm sold...

freebird
April 14, 2008, 07:27 PM
Speaking of night sights and laser grips the local gun store here has a Kahr P9 for $389.00 I was originally looking at the PM9 with night sights but I am looking at over $700 going that route. The P9 you cannot put night sights on. I have night sights on my PT-145 and like them. I am just wondering what the concensus is out there? Do most feel night sights are needed or just a preference? Because I would give up the 1/2" shorter barrel and just go with the P9 for $389.00 if I felt night sights were not needed.

Also is that true about the .380 having more punch than the snubby .38's? I thougth that was not the case?

NWdude83
April 15, 2008, 12:54 AM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c83/NWguy83/Kahr007.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c83/NWguy83/Kahr005.jpg

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
April 15, 2008, 01:36 AM
Every man dies, not every man really lives. So Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Hmmm, I missed the dual-sequel where Andy Dufresne meets William Wallace. :)

On your question, the answer, as always, is - it depends on your MODE of carry you will be using, whether smartcarry, fanny pack, OWB, IWB, pocket, or some other mode?

jeepmor
April 15, 2008, 01:52 AM
blah, blah, blah.

Go let your hands decide at the counter what you like best.

freebird
April 15, 2008, 10:03 AM
LOL! Yeah, if I could have had Forrest Gump in there with William Wallace and Andy Dufrain I would have but I have not figured a right fit with it yet!:) So this may be a stupid question but what is considered smart carry? I usually carry inside the waist band.

I just wanted to get a feel for what others opinions were on feeling the need for night sights. Some say definitely and others say the gun is going to shoot where you are pointing and no need for night sights. What do most of you all carry with or without night sights?

Northalius
April 15, 2008, 11:08 AM
Only time I'd consider night sights "not needed" is if the BG is like 3-4 feet in front of me, and I have the flash light on him.

But if you find the BG 15-20 or 30 feet from you and, he's reaching for a weapon, or he's firing back with his gun? I'd want night sights without a doubt. In a stressful situation, you'll be glad your sights are "glowing" bright enough for your peripheral vision (if you're not directly aiming) to see the sights on target.

I live in the woods, and I could be dealing with BG's out at 40+ feet (bears). Get the night sights ASAP, I'd strongly suggest.

aerod1
April 15, 2008, 12:19 PM
I like the Glock G26.

-terry
April 15, 2008, 12:37 PM
I have a Walther P99c. Have carried it for two years. It has never failed to fire; on the range or in the training classes. It's reasonably light to carry, reasonably small, and very accurate. Not the most comfortable to shoot for a range gun (I have a CZ 75B for that). I have the AS version so it has (if I choose) a double action first shot and SA after that. That's how I have it on my nightstand and when I carry.

I can't imagine a 9mm that is more versatile, reliable, accurate, and useful than this one. It's a bit pricy, but if it were stolen, I'd get another immediately.

-terry

clemsonu0219
April 15, 2008, 01:08 PM
I would look at getting a Sig P232... its a .380 (short 9mm). but its a breeze to carry and a tack driver

DAdams
April 15, 2008, 02:53 PM
Since you prefer IWB you may like the Smart Carry.

http://www.smartcarry.com/

Walther P99c definitely worth looking into. I recently did a complete rundown on 9mm and the two that won out were. S&W M&P 9c, particularly while the $50 rebate is in effect through the end of April with two free mag deal which put it under $400 with four magazines. Lifetime service warranty, a no lock version is available.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=11101&storeId=10001&productId=51901&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=15711&isFirearm=Y

I suspect S&W will have a M&P 45c out by the end of the year.

And the Walther P99c. Check out the specifications on it. Very nice, a couple of operational variables and the the best I found I think was around $550. 19.7 ounces w/o magazine.

freebird
April 15, 2008, 03:53 PM
I think I am too much of a fat arse for the smart carry to work for me. Looks good though, but not until I get back to my fighting weight.:confused: I like all the guns that every one has posted, all have their own uniqueness but if I went with some I might as well just stay with my PT-145 weight wise. I wish my PT-145 was made in a single stack and was thinner because I would just carry it all the time with the night sights I have on it.

I really hate to say this but the Kahrs and the Glocks are growing on me and I always swore I would buy neither one of them. The Glock still is up there in weight from what I am wanting. Personally weight/size wise I would go with the Kel-Tec PF9 if I knew I could count on it to go bang when needed. I like my P3at but the wife is carrying it now and I would like to bump up to a 9mm. I would just buy that Kahr P9 for $389.00 at the local gun shop but I wish I could put night sights on it. I don't know if that is a good price or not? So many choices!!!:banghead::banghead::banghead:

buzz_knox
April 15, 2008, 04:00 PM
I would just buy that Kahr P9 for $389.00 at the local gun shop but I wish I could put night sights on it. I don't know if that is a good price or not? So many choices!!!

You mean the CW9, correct, based on the price and the lack of night sights? I asked Kahr about it and they said that night sights will be available for the CW9 this summer. I don't know if that means only on new pistols or if older ones can be retrofitted. Based on the way the front sight is installed (like a Glock, it's installed from the top and locked in place), I suspect it'll be the latter.

freebird
April 15, 2008, 04:31 PM
Yeah, sorry I think you are correct the CW9...What is the diff between the two? I know one is 3.6" and the other 3.5" barrel is that all? I bet you are correct it will most likely be the newer models.

Lagomorph
April 15, 2008, 04:46 PM
The CW series has a pinned front sight, stamped markings on the slide, and a conventionally rifled barrel.

P and K series have a dovetailed front sight, machined markings, a polygonally rifled barrel, and a $200 price increase.

lebvette
April 15, 2008, 08:07 PM
I have an Springer EMP, but if I was in the market for another carry pistol it would be a Kahr K9.
Larry

RonE
April 15, 2008, 09:51 PM
I personally like the HK P7 series pistols for conceled carry, it is probably the safest gun to carry with a round in the chamber, it is very accurate, it is slim and particularly snag free. The P7 series of pistols have a great reputation for reliability. The downside of the pistol is that it is all steel and a little heavier than plastic framed pistols (maybe not a downside if you have to hit someone with your gun).

colt1903
April 15, 2008, 10:13 PM
You're getting a lot of great information here. I like the Glock Model 19 (pictured on the left) carried inside the waistband with a Clip Draw attachment. If using a Clip Draw with a Glock you have to do something to block rearward trigger movement. Clip Draw has a Saf-T-Blok device that fits behind the trigger. You pop it out during your draw. I have chosen to have a Side Lock trigger installed which is a manual safety button on the trigger.
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll17/colt1903/009.jpg

freebird
April 15, 2008, 11:01 PM
Nice!!! Very nice! I like a lot!!!!:what:

Ed DCB
April 16, 2008, 03:05 AM
I used SAF T Block on my G 26

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z69/Quickload/Handguns/stealth4.gif

DawgFvr
April 16, 2008, 10:37 AM
whooo-boy...now I've seen it all.

Marshall
April 17, 2008, 11:12 AM
Freebird,

I would rather have a .38sp than a .380. Most all .38sp revolvers are +P rated anymore. I'll take a 158gr bullet pushing 900fps and 280ft lbs before I would take a 95gr bullet pushing 1000 and 200 or under ft lbs. Better penetration.

lebvette
April 18, 2008, 09:02 AM
I was stuck between a Kahr K9, and a Springer EMP. I went with the Springer because of a little bit of a safety.(slide latch and grip lever)
Larry

DawgFvr
April 18, 2008, 10:53 AM
Who needs a safety on a DAO pistol? Thank you Kahr for not going the little bit of a safety.(slide latch and grip lever)
route. One last thing to think of; one less spurious action to take in the heat of the moment while presenting the weapon.

If you enjoyed reading about "9mm CCW Best One To Buy?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!