Marlin 1894C (chambered 357 magnum)

PDA

ArnoldSKS
April 11, 2008, 01:29 PM
:confused: What is a rifle chambered in 357 magnum really good for? I'm looking for a new rifle, but don't want to spend a million bucks on several different chambers. I live in South Carolina and carry a Rossi 357 Revolver while I'm out backpacking and thought that a rifle would be better to carry to defend against Black Bears and crazy :cuss: people.

So What do you guys think. Could I use this rifle in the fall to hunt deer effectively? How about hunting hogs. There are several companies that make quality ammunition (federal, buffalo bore, hornaday) in the 158-200gr bullets. I like the heavier bullets.

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin 1894C (chambered 357 magnum)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ArmedBear
April 11, 2008, 01:53 PM
Hornady now makes LE ammo for .357. Buffalo Bore has .357 ammo that tops 1600 ft-lbs at the muzzle.

I think it'll work on deer. Depends on how far away, of course, since .357 is not the flattest-shooting round, but it should work fine out to 100 yards no matter what.

I've got one. It's a neat little gun, shoots tight little groups, it's light and an easy gun to carry -- straight grips carry best, IMO. Shoots LSWC .38 Spl reloads quite well. It's a viable plinker and small game gun, too.

cowboyL1FE
April 11, 2008, 01:55 PM
I don't plan to hunt with it since I have a 7mm Mag, but I purchase a Marlin 1894 in .357 because I also purchased a Rossi in .357. The simplicity of carrying one type of round while backpacking, riding, etc appeals to me. Just my .02

ArnoldSKS
April 11, 2008, 01:57 PM
So do you think that it's worth the $578.oo dollars listed on the Internet? I maybe able to get it cheaper if I look around town.

ArmedBear
April 11, 2008, 01:59 PM
We have a sporting goods chain here in the West, Big 5 Sporting Goods. They have a smooth hardwood-stocked version for $400. I think Marlin does a special run for them. That's what I bought.

You should be able to find the checkered-walnut version for $500 or a tad more.

ArnoldSKS
April 11, 2008, 02:01 PM
Sounds good. I have Dick's sporting Goods and Academy Sporting near me.

snorko
April 11, 2008, 02:01 PM
I have been obsessing over handgun/carbine combos, I think I have five pairs now, anyway, just picked up an 1894C Thursday. $485 plus tax and a hoot to shoot.

ArnoldSKS
April 11, 2008, 02:04 PM
Snorko,

Are you shouting the heavy load? How accurate is it?

ArnoldSKS
April 11, 2008, 02:09 PM
ArmedBear, Have you done any Boar Hunting with your 357? What loads do you use on a regular?

Gila Jorge
April 11, 2008, 02:12 PM
Have one in 44mag and love it...would not hesitate to use it for deer, whitetails, not mulies...makes a heck of a coyote whopper and jack rabbit roller as well...I put a 2x Leupold on it so shooting running jacks is easier with my old eyes...

stormspotter
April 11, 2008, 02:17 PM
You might also look into a Rossi Model 92 in 357. The 92 action is stronger than the Marlin and can be found at less than $400 at times.

I picked up this Interarms (Rossi) M92, with 16" barrel, for $380 delivered a while back.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k10/ema567/100_3298.jpg

I haven't shot anything over 158 grains yet but it will put them into less than 2" at 50 yds.

I also found a Browning M92 357 for a little over what the new Marlin would cost you.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k10/ema567/100_3213.jpg

They're fun guns to have.

cowboyL1FE
April 11, 2008, 02:21 PM
Here's mine...

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f282/tylerpebley/20080322-IMG_2090.jpg

Hokkmike
April 11, 2008, 03:02 PM
I'm doing the same thing but going the .44 mag route. Why? Because I had the same question and concern that you did.

JonB
April 11, 2008, 03:05 PM
That's a fine looking pistol CowboyL1FE

Hobie
April 11, 2008, 03:17 PM
We've got several people on the Levreguns Community forum killing hogs and deer with the .357 mag from their rifles. 158 gr. @ 2000 fps or 180 gr. @ 1800 fps. The original .30 WCF did 165 @1930 fps. You can see that there's a lot of similarity there.

glockman19
April 11, 2008, 03:20 PM
I went the .44 mag route for two reasons:
1) I have a Stainless S&W 629 5"
2) I could not find a 1894C Stainless to go with my S&W 686 4"

I do expect to bet one ASAP.

cowboyL1FE
April 11, 2008, 03:29 PM
Much appreciated JonB. The Beretta was my first cowboy action gun. Now I just need a coach gun so I can do some cowboy-action 3-gun.

ArmedBear
April 11, 2008, 04:25 PM
The 92 action is stronger than the Marlin

Huh?

Unlike the Marlin, it's wide open on the bottom and top, and the sides aren't any thicker. It's a neat gun, but stronger than the Marlin? I don't think so.

WRT boar hunting, I haven't had the chance. Most of CA's legendary pig hunting is in and around the Condor habitat where lead bullets have been banned. I have to find or load some Barnes .357's. I haven't bought any Buffalo Bore, but I probably will soon for some out-of-state woods deer hunting. I'll report back.

So far, I've shot LSWC .38 Spl handloads, WWB .38 Spl FMJFN, Fiocchi .357 FMJTC, WWB .357 SJHP, and maybe some Remington stuff through it (I forget). Shoots all of them well. I'm going to try the BB stuff soon.

Buffalo Bore has pictures of some guys with 1894C's and deer they've shot, though. They're too rough to be fake.:) There's no reason not to use this gun for anything you'd use a .30-30 for, at least out to where the blunt .357 bullet's aerodynamics catch up with it.

44AMP
April 11, 2008, 05:57 PM
I was in the middle of reading this thread when I had to visit the "reading room", and as luck would have it, I found an old article that has some information that may still be valid. In April 1988 Guns & Ammo publisheed an article about pistol caliber carbines, which included the following information.

In .357 Mag, the Marling 1894 they tested delivered the following:
125gr Winchester JHP 2,183fps MV
125gr Remington JHP 2,113fps MV
145gr Winchester Silvertip 1,841fps MV
158gr Winchester JHP 1,738fps MV

They got 3-4inch 100 yard groups with the 125gr loads
They got 2-3 inch 100 yard groups with both the 145gr and the 158gr loads.
Groups were shot with open sights.
Now, I realize this info is 20 years old, but I don't see either the rifle or the ammo getting any worse in the last 20 years. Probably a bit better. The author, Mike Venturino, considered it accurate enough for deer at 100 yards.

Current ammo intended for "bigger" game hunting should increase the performance of the carbine in the game fields. Most 125gr loads are intended as defensive handgun rounds, and may not perform well on deer size game, considering their light jacket construction, and the increased velocity from the carbine barrel. The now popular 180gr bullets should do well, HOWEVER, the Marlin is not tolerant of rounds that are too long. If you want to shoot the 180gr loads, check their length carefully, to ensure that they will feed through the action. Many years ago I watched a gentleman who had loaded some 210gr LRN bullets in .38 Spl cases jam a Marlin solid. Even in the short .38 cases, he had loaded the very long 210gr RN to a length that would not feed from the tube magazine, tying up the gun, and requiring the rifle to be disassembled in order to clear the jam.

Factory loads should be ok, even the heavy 180gr, but you would be wise to check carefully before stuffing them in to magazine tube. Over long rounds can be singfle loaded, and will work fine, butg trying to feed them from the mag is asking for a jam.

The 1894 Marlin is a fine little carbine, I have one, an older gun (no crossbolt safety) bought last spring, used, but looking like new for $300.

Practice a bit, so you learn how the rifle shoots, and get used to the drop between 50 and 100 yards. Load it with bullets built for the game you intend to take (and this will include hardcast SWC for some game), do your part and the rifle and ammo will do theirs adequately out to 100yards for deer size critters. One nice thing about the Marlin is that, if it doesn't go against your sense of esthetics, they can be easily scoped. A low power scope or a red dot sight can be a useful aid for shooting at longer ranges, especially if you are like me, getting to the point where the iron sights aren't as sharp and clear as they were 20+ years ago.

ArmedBear
April 11, 2008, 05:59 PM
44- See http://www.buffalobore.com/

From what I've read, their claimed velocities are conservative.

stormspotter
April 11, 2008, 08:02 PM

Huh?

According to Paco Kelly at Leverguns.com "the new strong Marlins and Win
94's are certantly strong enough for the 30,000 to 35,000 CUP levels. The new strong 92's can go to 50,000 CUP."

This is from an article he wrote on Leverguns.com concerning loading the 45 Colt in leveraction rifles.

Not trying to start anything, just passed on some info. from someone more knowledgeable tham me.:confused:

Domino
April 11, 2008, 08:13 PM
T Model 92's are definately stronger than the 94's. The old 92 design is also better suited for pistol caliber's IMHO. The 92 just seems to lock up better than the 94's.

ArmedBear
April 12, 2008, 12:42 AM
Model 92's are definately stronger than the 94's

Winchester 92 vs. 94.

Marlin 1894 is a different animal -- and Marlin makes several similar actions for different cartridge lengths.

stormspotter, I haven't proof-tested any of the things myself; I just know what the hot-loaders like Buffalo Bore and the grizzly gun customizers use. Now there are 92's specifically built for .454 Casull, but we're talking about .357's. I don't think there's any reason to choose the 92 over the 1894, other than balance and feel. If you like the 92, it'll certainly work.

Lupinus
April 12, 2008, 07:38 AM
They're good for a lot. Low recoil and with hunting loads good for deer sized game out to about 100 yards.

Also most 357 mag lever guns can shoot .38 special for cheaper plinking.

Great guns and it is on my wish list.

sacp81170a
April 12, 2008, 08:06 AM

????

I have yet to see a 92 chambered in .444 or .450 Marlin or .45-70. Just looking at the Marlin action as opposed to a '92 or '94 will make it obvious which is the stronger.

One thing I've noticed particularly with '92's and '94's is that sometimes you'll get that little "puff" of powder grains you can feel on your cheeks when you're shooting. It doesn't instill confidence in trying to shoot something stout that will handle big or dangerous game like a .45-70 will.

bhk
April 12, 2008, 08:56 AM
The fact that the 92 is not chambered for the .444 or .450 is due to it's physical size, not it's strength. The large-action design equivalent to the 92 is the Winchester 1986, an extremely strong action.

Omaney
April 12, 2008, 09:11 AM
Definitely consider the Puma/Rossi M92. I really like mine in .44 mag. the only con to this rifle IMO are the sights, but that is easily remedied for about $30.

ArmedBear
April 12, 2008, 10:17 AM
Not saying the 92 is weak, just that there's no reason to believe it's stronger than the Marlin.

I'd say choose the one you like. A big plus in favor of the Puma is that it's made in Stainless Steel, and the 92 is a great handling carbine -- I've shot an original or two, and there's a lot to be said for a gun that works like new, after a century of use, by real cowboys.

OTOH an action that doesn't invite dirt or rain, ease of cleaning and a wide variety of sight options favor the US-made Marlin design. Also, if it's got a problem, Marlin will fix it, here in the US.

Mike 56
April 12, 2008, 10:57 AM
Leaver guns rock i have Winchester 94 30/30 with a Williams FP aperture rear sight and front fire sight. With these sights my 30/30 is a precision interment. Having a multi purpose carbine companion rifle would be sweet. I would find a winchester or Marlin and put on a set of FP sights. These rifles are pre drilled for these sights.

Mike

http:// 94 Sights 001.jpg (44.9 KB)http:// 94 Sights 003.jpg (50.0 KB)

Seafarer12
April 12, 2008, 11:03 AM
I have yet to see a 92 chambered in .444 or .450 Marlin or .45-70. Just looking at the Marlin action as opposed to a '92 or '94 will make it obvious which is the stronger.

One thing I've noticed particularly with '92's and '94's is that sometimes you'll get that little "puff" of powder grains you can feel on your cheeks when you're shooting. It doesn't instill confidence in trying to shoot something stout that will handle big or dangerous game like a .45-70 will.

Your talking about a different action all together. Eeveryone is comparing the 92 winchester to the 94 marlin. Your talking about the 1895 marlin. Its a totally different animal.

I like marlins but have never been a fan of the 94 marlin. I don't like the way they feel or look. I have a Navy Arms 1892 in 357 and it is a fine shooting gun. I wouldn't trade it for a slicked up 94cb any day of the week.

ArnoldSKS
April 12, 2008, 01:28 PM
Thanks to everyone, I have decided on the Marlin 1894c, a local gun shop has one for $539.00 and I put a deposit down on it today.:D I'm so excited, I'll keep you guys informed and send photo's next from da range:D

Wolfgang2000
April 12, 2008, 01:51 PM
I think you will be happy. We have his and hers Marlin 357 carbines. They are really fun guns to shoot. I had a 44 1894 but found the recoil stiffer than my 308 tanker grand. It was "bad", just stiffer.

The 357 is one of those guns that make you sorry you ran out of ammo. :)

Now with Remington owning Marlin, who know how long Marlin will be around. They have already shut down H&R / New England.

Mike 56
April 12, 2008, 02:04 PM
Marlin makes nice leaver rifles i am sure you be happy.

Mike

tube_ee
April 12, 2008, 03:02 PM
The 357 is one of those guns that make you sorry you ran out of ammo.

Here, let me fix that for you...

The 357 is one of those guns that make you run out of ammo.

That's more like it.

Seriously, my 1894C eats ammo at a frightening pace... Every time I shoot the darned thing empty, it reaches into my shell box and fills itself up again.

With .38s, the great thing is that it shoots like a big .22... the bad things is that it eats ammo like a big .22.

Love that little gun.

--Shannon

ArnoldSKS
April 12, 2008, 04:55 PM
Thanks,
I well see on Tuesday, that's when I'm going to pick it up:D

19-3Ben
April 12, 2008, 06:46 PM
Enjoy. I'm saving up my money because the .357mag 1894c is actually the #1 gun at the top of my "to buy" list.

32winspl
April 12, 2008, 07:00 PM
Arnold, this is my opinion and nothing more, but If I'm going to go to the trouble of carting 7 or more pounds of rifle around, it will be chambered for a rifle round. A rifle is going to cost you X dollars regardless of what it's chambered for. Why not broaden your capabilities? Why be wedded to only one cartridge? A lot of people do this, but I've never understood why. Any 30-30 in a rifle will FAR exceed the capabilities of the hottest .357 mag.
I'm sure not pounding on you, I just don't get it.

chieftain
April 12, 2008, 07:16 PM
Here is the ballistics from Buffalo bores' site:

5. 18.5 inch Marlin 1894

a. Item 19A/20-180gr. Hard Cast = 1851 fps
b. Item 19B/20-170gr. JHC = 1860 fps
c. Item 19C/20-158gr. Speer Uni Core = 2153 fps---- Can you believe this?!!!
d. Item 19D/20-125gr. Speer Uni Core = 2298 fps---- Or this?!!!

Note that at these velocities the 357 is approaching 30-30 energy and velocities. Doesn't leave a whole lot that his beautiful little carbine can't do or be used for. I wouldn't use it on ELK, Moose, Or Brown/Grizzly bear. But damn near everything else it is good to go on.

These velocities allow you to take up to Deer size game, and still be able to shoot 38spl's, which in my rifle is like shooting a BB gun. Really.

Best rifle buy on the planet.

Marlin 357 1894 CP is what I have, that is sort of like a guide rifle. 16" barrel with factory comp drilled into the end of the barrel. They stopped making them about 5 years ago.

I have about 27 rifles. This is probably my favorite. 10 rounds. I don't hunt much anymore for health reasons, but for shear fun, the 357 in a carbine is a lot of fun.

I haven't fired one but some folks have the Puma in 357 too.

Get one, it is a great rifle.

Good luck.

Fred

tubeshooter
April 12, 2008, 09:34 PM
Arnold, this is my opinion and nothing more, but If I'm going to go to the trouble of carting 7 or more pounds of rifle around, it will be chambered for a rifle round. A rifle is going to cost you X dollars regardless of what it's chambered for. Why not broaden your capabilities? Why be wedded to only one cartridge? A lot of people do this, but I've never understood why. Any 30-30 in a rifle will FAR exceed the capabilities of the hottest .357 mag.
I'm sure not pounding on you, I just don't get it.

Commonality with handgun ammo, light, handy and FUN are the main selling points I keep seeing over and over when it comes up.

I have wanted one for quite awhile - still do. And I've got plenty of .38 Special laying around to feed one with. But they seem pretty spendy now; I wish I had got one a good 5 years or so ago.

I am thinking that most people considering the purchase probably have at least one true rifle round in the stable already. Can't speak for everyone, but in my case I would be mostly interested in just target shooting at 50 yards or less with relatively low recoil and noise. Wouldn't be interested in maxing it out to 30-30 power levels with hot ammo, though the option is nice. This gun would certainly fit the bill. But for the money I could just get another SKS (beater grade) and a case of ammo and call it a day. Plus have parts/backup to the SKS I already have. That's what my practical side is saying, but my levergun side tends to keep its foot in the door.

GigaBuist
April 13, 2008, 12:06 AM
Any 30-30 in a rifle will FAR exceed the capabilities of the hottest .357 mag.

Well, when we look at the data published by Buffalo Bore that's not exactly 100% certain. I really wonder what's going to happen now that the LeverEvolution stuff is out for .357 now. Should be exciting!

But there's some things the 30-30 can't do: Namely hold 9 cartridges in an 18" barrel configuration and deliver a .35 caliber hole upon impact.

I don't hunt, so I'm only concerned with a) plinking and b) home defense. The Marlin 1894C wins on both accounts in my book.

ArmedBear
April 13, 2008, 12:43 AM
If I'm going to go to the trouble of carting 7 or more pounds of rifle around, it will be chambered for a rifle round

The 1894C is a compact little 6 lb. carbine; it's a tad shorter than my 39M Mountie and not noticeably heavier.

So while what you say may have merit in general, it's got nothing to do with the 1894C.

Marlin 45 carbine
April 13, 2008, 08:15 AM
I have a shooting buddy that has one of those. he doesn't hunt with it but it's accurate enough to use as a bush gun with the right ammo and good shot placement. I've shot it. a big + is the fast follow-up shot if needed. he loads some HOT loads for that carbine.

kmrcstintn
April 13, 2008, 10:52 AM
take with a grain of salt...from someone that tried this last year: my input about the Marlin 1894C...I like the concept of having a matched set of handgun & carbine in th same caliber, so I chose .357 magnum since it is my favorite handgun caliber; concept & reality are 2 different things; I tried like hell to order the Buffalo Bore ammo 2 times thru my favorite shop...each time we waited 2 months with no ammo or feedback other than it's in the works...cancelled the order each time;

I thought about reloading specifically for the Marlin, but our camp's reloading stuff was spread among 2 or 3 guys and noone could agree on times to get together, so I was stuck with factory loaded ammo, which lacks the potential that the Buffalo Bore has...basically I was limited to 50 yard broadside shots which is not always achievable in the patches of thickets where we hunt;

then the screw post that retains the forearm on my rifle broke and allowed the forearm to freely move back and forth; when I tried to remove it, the screw head sheered off (a bad batch of steel I guess); while waiting for parts to be ordered to fix the beast, I rethought my concept and the difficulties I encountered (ordering hot rodded ammo, reloading difficulties, finding a good heavy factory load that actually fed...hardened semiwadcutter leadheads wouldn't go up the feeding ramp, so I had to settle for Federal American Eagle 158gr jsp since I was able to get a good supply to sight in both the carbine & revolver) & decided to just give up the dream and go back to an old perennial favorite that I had sold off...Marlin 336 in .30-30 (a sturdy lever action rifle for the ages in a readily available caliber with lots of proven results & no need to experiment or compromise on yardage or shooting conditions)

don't get me wrong, I enjoyed plinking like crazy with the 1894C, but it's hunting potential on medium sized game is limited when you hunt in their territory...choose your weapons well and understand their limits :scrutiny:

ArmedBear
April 13, 2008, 02:06 PM
Hornady now makes LE ammo in .357, and Cabela's has all 3 Buffalo Bore .357 loads as well as the LE stuff in stock as I write this. They also have Fiocchi Extrema XTP ammo in .357. All of this is available mail-order.

Grizzly and Federal Fusion are currently out of stock.

The only concern I have is if I want to hunt where I'd have to use non-lead bullets. I'm not sure who loads .357 with Barnes bullets commercially, but Cabela's has the Barnes bullets if I want to handload them.

Now, you can buy 200 yard .30-30 ammo at the Wal-Mart down the street, so availability of hunting .357 ammo is not as good. But it's not currently prohibitive, either.

ArnoldSKS
April 14, 2008, 12:00 AM
Thanks guys, I well consider your suggestions, I just want to use it for a camp gun and occasionally hunt Boar or Deer. I well mainly use it for plinking and target shooting:D. My local gun store appears to have an endless supply and variety of 357 ammo. I just order several boxes of Buffalo Bore ammo for their web site(125gr, 158gr and 180gr.) The order said 3-5 delivery:scrutiny:. I am dieing to try the Federal Fusion Ammo, but as you guys have said it's hard come by. I'll update you guy's on Tuesday.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
April 14, 2008, 12:10 AM
The .357 mag carbine is one of those "jack of all trades, master of none" weapons. Fine choice on the short list of "what if only one rifle"? This fact makes it neat. But since most of us can afford multiple rifles, all of a sudden the "master of none" plays more prominently than "jack of all trades".

It's probably the perfect rifle as the true "just one" rifle, meaning only rifle if you don't have ANY rimfire rifle. Then with .38 specials and light 110s, you've got a "little game" rimfire-style (general range of power), or with hyped up 180 grainers, you've got a fairly good large game rifle. Once you have a rimfire, then I can think of other rifles I'd rather have for the "2nd rifle/only centerfire" in the 2-rifle scenario. Again, just not relevant to us enthusiasts who will get multiple rifles to satisfy the niches we feel that we want to cover.

ArnoldSKS
April 14, 2008, 12:55 AM
:)How true that is:) I also own an SKS and I love that thing but it's just to awkward to carry @ times. The Little Marlin is what I need and want in a camp gun.

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin 1894C (chambered 357 magnum)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!