My Glock story

PDA

Ken C
April 11, 2008, 02:46 PM
I came into possession of a large quantity of reloaded 10mm ammo. (how that happened is another story). Anyhow, what do we do if we have a bunch of ammo and no gun ? We buy another gun, of course !! :)

After reading this and other forums, the Glock 20 was one of the candidates. And when the local gun store had a sale, well, I went to the 'dark side' and bought one.

Shot a few rounds through the stock Glock and it performed well.

I also read about shooting reloads, yes, I know it's a controversial subject, but I went ahead and bought a new Lone Wolf barrel. Dropped it in, went to the range and no-go. The first round would chamber and fire but the second round would hang up on the feed ramp. This is not good.

Complained to Lone Wolf and got a response from JR Shepard. Very patient and lots of help. Turns out reseating the bullet just a bit from 1.25" to 1.24", cured the problem. Just returned from the range after shooting almost 200 rounds without any problem.

Of course, now I have to reseat the rest of the ammo !! :(

Shooting the 10mm is as much fun as .45, IMHO (ok, almost).

If you enjoyed reading about "My Glock story" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
R&J
April 11, 2008, 03:18 PM
Congrats on what is arguably the best 10 mm combat handgun in the world!

Sounds like an ammo problem... :scrutiny:

I've an old friend that has a 1st Gen G20, with a Bar-Sto barrel. He's shot thousands of rounds of handloads over the years, with zero problems!

In converting my G21 to 10 mm, I found that some ammos feed reliably, while others get hung up on the feed ramp of my KKM Conversion Barrel. The conversion barrel's feed ramp is a bit steeper than the OEM barrel's is. CCI Blazer, Winchester Silvertip, and Double Tap 135 grain Noslers all work fine. In fact, reliability is now approaching 100%. I consider this acceptable in a project gun, used at the range. :cool:

With regard to .45 ACP, I've received three shipments, two of CCI Blazer and one of Blazer Brass, that had some cartridges as much as 1/8" shorter than the others. The shorties hang up on the feed ramp, which is possibly good, since they'd be over-pressure, and I don't know how the aluminum cases would handle that! :uhoh:

As for my G21, it has proven 100% reliable in .45 ACP mode, in over 10,500 rounds, with decent ammo. The last two trips to the range yielded 100% reliability in 10 mm, as well, using the above-mentioned Double Tap! ;)

Do try some Double Tap ammo! The four-packs are a pretty good buy, and you can buy four of a kind, if you want. And definitely try the 135 grain Noslers! At 1608 fps, and 767 ft/lbs, your G20 will be well into .357 magnum country! I guarranty an experience quite different than .45 ACP! :D

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/index.php

Good luck!

--Ray

dschulte
April 11, 2008, 03:43 PM
That is surprising to hear about a Lone Wolf barrel. I thought that most over the counter 10mm was set to 1.25". Have you tried some store bouth 10mm with the Wolf yet?

R&J
April 11, 2008, 04:16 PM
"I thought that most over the counter 10mm was set to 1.25". Have you tried some store bouth 10mm with the Wolf yet?"

Forgive me, I don't reload.

If this is true, then it's a barrel problem and I'd return it. :scrutiny:

Another thing that affects feed in my conversion barrel, is the contour of the bullet nose. Flat-nosed or polygonal-nosed bullets drag on the ramp--especially if they're naked lead. Bulbous-nosed fmj or jhp feed fine. While I accept this on a conversion project, it would be unacceptable in a dedicated 10 mm.

Try polishing the feed ramp, if you're able.

--Ray

Harley Quinn
April 11, 2008, 04:43 PM
Some locations mention overall at 1.3 in:what: Lyman gives the overall on various loads from 1.225 to 1.26 depends on bullet design.:uhoh: I think I'd want a different barrel.

Ken Rainey
April 11, 2008, 06:12 PM
R&J...just to let you know, I recently purchased a case of Blazer Aluminum .45 and got a few rounds that measured less than spec'd...I emailed Blazer and "spoke" with a Miss Linda Olin...she politely sent me two boxes of ammo to make up for my trouble. Seems that the spec's they use allow for a +/- of .015 which would be a minimum of 1.245 ... I had some below 1.20 which were very obvious by looking at them - that's what got me to whoop out the 'ol calipers and check 'em all ! She's very polite and I'm sure she'll send you a few boxes to make up for the mistake...just give her the lot number on the box(es)...

Ken C ... I'm intrigued by the 10mm myself....may just have to break down and try one ! Luck to ya....

If you enjoyed reading about "My Glock story" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!