Need some ideas

PDA

ptmmatssc
April 11, 2008, 08:09 PM
Ok , this is what's going to happen here in my state next week .

Portland, ME On Wednesday, April 16, the anniversary of the terrible tragedy that took
32 innocent lives at Virginia Tech University, USM students and other concerned citizens will lie
down in silence at the USM Portland campus in remembrance of the lost lives and to encourage us all
to reflect on the consequences of the excessive proliferation of guns in our culture, and weak gun laws.

I want to exercise my free speech rights and show up with a sign something to the effect " 32 victims not allowed to exercise their right of defense" Or something similar .

I know some here might think it's in bad taste , but would like some other ideas for something to put on the sign .

If you enjoyed reading about "Need some ideas" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BruceRDucer
April 12, 2008, 09:44 AM
I don't know if it is really an issue of bad taste, but I think you could do much better than to add more "fuel to the fire" of a very emotional issue in this manner.

I believe a person can be very effective by conducting an advocacy away from large crowds and public settings. When people see controversy, sometimes they shut their mind to all of the voices, hoping for a quiet and sensible solution. You could be part of the "sensible" solution by expressing your message elsewhere, not where the emotional elements are strongest.

Be a different voice.

eflatminor
April 12, 2008, 09:57 AM
I think Bruce's comments are very high road but I must respectfully disagree with the tactic. I think you should fight this directly, emotional atmosphere not withstanding. Get as many people that agree with you as possible to show up with signs similar to what you suggest. It is afterall your right to peaceably demonstrate. What you want is for the local news to mention the anti's protest but also be forced to say that a contingent of pro-gun supporters staged a peaceful counter protest. Show them that not everyone thinks like a victim!

Sign suggestions:
1) Gun free zones DON'T work
2) Student for conceal carry
3) If guns kill people, then I can blame my pencil for spelling errors
4) Gun control gives a 110 pound woman the right to fist fight a 250 pound rapist
5) Gun free zones ensure only CRIMINALS are armed!

Bottom line, we need to be aggressive about this and ALSO be a different voice. Attack this on all fronts as it were. Good luck.

beaucoup ammo
April 12, 2008, 10:24 AM
I would avoid any chance of confrontation where "we" would be seen in a less than positive light.

Locate yourself nearby with simple signage stating in effect, that there would be considerably less than 32 people laying down had 1 or more students been allowed to carry on campus.

This would portray "Students for conceal carry" as problem solving. Having one of "us" in a wheelchair would add a subliminal message of just how needed concealed carry can be. A good visual that's proven effective.

Above all, no aggressive demeanor. Be pleasant..perception is everything.

bogie
April 12, 2008, 12:05 PM
I'd see if you could get a few more folks to participate.

Signs like "Gun Free Zones Are Dangerous" and "32 Dead For Political Correctness" or "32 Needless Dead" might be a good idea. Maybe "Allow Self Defense!" or somesuch.

Just had a thought - "One Armed Person Could Have Stopped It."

Of course, if you propose to do ANYTHING, some folks will tell you not to. Maybe they WANT the Brady folks to have the only message out there.

paramedic70002
April 12, 2008, 05:39 PM
When they tried this in Richmond VA the best sign i saw was

"HERE LIE UNARMED VICTIMS"

I may attend a local function here with that or

"GET UP, I SAVED YOU WITH MY EASY GUN"

If you enjoyed reading about "Need some ideas" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!