Quick ? on purchase in Colorado

PDA

Tim Currie
April 11, 2008, 10:17 PM
Recently moved to CO from CA. Been here a few months, however have not got a CO license yet.

Question is: Can I buy firearms here? Or do I need some proof of residence?

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Quick ? on purchase in Colorado" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Standing Wolf
April 11, 2008, 10:54 PM
You need proof of residence, starting with a Colorado driver's license or military orders.

PTK
April 11, 2008, 11:05 PM
Yep, you need proof of residence. Getting a license here is simple - bring a lease, utility bill, etc. to the DMV, pay your money, ta-da. The only down side is that they now give you a temp. license and you must wait for the laminated plastic to come in the mail.

Treo
April 11, 2008, 11:12 PM
These answers are half right private sales are unregulated in Colorado. If you find a gun you like in the paper go get it

PTK
April 11, 2008, 11:55 PM
Don't be too surprised if the seller asks to see an ID, though.

Tim Currie
April 11, 2008, 11:57 PM
Cool, thanks guys.

On the topic.....(just so I know) is this how it works in every State?

PTK
April 12, 2008, 12:16 AM
Most states, yes. Some, like CA, mandate that face to face transactions are illegal or must be recorded with the state.

Richbaker
April 12, 2008, 02:10 AM
Yep, Federal law says you have to be a resident of the state to buy a gun.....and, of course, state law may put more onerous requirements on you.

Treo
April 12, 2008, 03:07 AM
QUOTE: Don't be too surprised if the seller asks to see an ID, though."

I've only had one guy ask , I bought a PC-4 from a cop and he didn't ask.

If you enjoyed reading about "Quick ? on purchase in Colorado" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!