Taurus PT745, two questions.

PDA

SaltH2OHokie
April 12, 2008, 02:46 AM
I own the gun, but being a college student don't have unlimited funds to be buying lots of different ammo. That being the case, could someone with experience point me to a good load or two? I want to feed more than one box of 25 through the gun to make sure it consistently feeds, fires and ejects, but if I bought even just one box of 25 of every potential load, I'd be out of some serious money :what:

Secondly, again looking for someone with hands on experience: my magazine seems to randomly either sit flush with the grip or leave a gap that can be closed by pushing on the bottom of the magazine (but it springs back out those few millimeters as soon as you let go.) It seems normal and doesn't appear to affect the gun in any way, but at the same time in the hundreds of rounds I've pushed through a Beretta 92FS, the magazine sits flush to the grip EVERY time, not just in some situations. This Taurus is new to me and is only the 3rd pistol I've had more than a few range experiences with, so it might just be a quirk of the design, or perhaps of many guns, but just not with ones I've had the pleasure of playing with and/or owning.

Thanks,

If you enjoyed reading about "Taurus PT745, two questions." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
coyotehitman
April 12, 2008, 03:50 AM
I don't buy Taurus, so I don't know about your magazine issue. As for the ammunition, personally I do not consider a load reliable until I have fired a minimum of 200 rounds without a problem (prefer more). With that, I have fired thousands of rounds of Gold Dot HP ammunition through Glock 19's, 21's, 22's, and 27's with only a few problems. That might be a good place to start, but your gun may prefer another brand of ammo.

PCRit
April 12, 2008, 11:44 AM
I've owned and carry a PT745 for 3yrs and I haven't noticed the magazine issue you mentioned. I suspect it's the position of the bullet in the fully loaded magazine and a new "tight" mag spring, make sure that when loading the rounds you tap the back side of the magazine so all the rounds are positioned towards the back edge of the mag.

As for carry rounds, any of the standard PD rounds should work fine. I carry Gold Dots or Winchester Ranger, both 230gr. In a pinch, even standard Winchester 230gr JHP rounds will do fine for defense (after all, it IS a .45), and they're a lot cheaper:D

SaltH2OHokie
April 12, 2008, 06:56 PM
Realized today that the issue is not "random"; it's one magazine does it and the other doesn't:

Both fully loaded.

Flush:
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w250/spearfishin/DSC_1434.jpg

Not so much:
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w250/spearfishin/DSC_1432.jpg

I'm going to call Taurus and see what they have to say about one magazine doing that...if they happen to balk should I just live with it or would you agree that both mags should sit the same?

TheReeves
April 12, 2008, 07:09 PM
Both mags should fit the same, I'd ask for a new one personally. But then again, little stuff like that gets under my skin.

SaltH2OHokie
April 12, 2008, 07:37 PM
Same here...bugs the crap out of my girlfriend because she's very much the opposite. If I'm putting a sticker on my back windshield I usually buy 3 or 4 because if it doesn't end up perfectly straight and centered I just rip it off and start over...

I'll post up with what Taurus says Monday. Hopefully their lifetime warranty/guarantee is as good as they say it is and I'll have a new magazine that fits flush.

PCRit
April 12, 2008, 07:42 PM
Just a thought, but it could be that the follower is not properly seated on the mag spring. Take it apart, re-assemble the magazine, it could be just that simple.

TheReeves
April 13, 2008, 01:36 AM
Hokie stickers? Cause my "Virginia Tech" sticker just developed an air bubble and it is driving me nuts.

If you enjoyed reading about "Taurus PT745, two questions." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!