Are any of the Kel-Tec models "fun" to shoot?

PDA

TexasShooter59
April 12, 2008, 04:26 PM
I read often about how the Kel-Tecs have so much recoil, that they are not any fun to shoot at the range above the minimum to stay proficient with them.

Are any of the Kel-Tec handguns fun to shoot at the range?

I am looking at pocket pistols for CCW, but it would be great if the handgun was actually enjoyable to shoot, versus an exercise in endurance.

If you enjoyed reading about "Are any of the Kel-Tec models "fun" to shoot?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
romma
April 12, 2008, 07:37 PM
I have fun shhoting my P32... It has a very manageable recoil IMO..

The PLR-16 sure looks fun to me as well...

daehawc
April 12, 2008, 07:46 PM
I had a PF-9 that was no problem at all even with +p rounds. Actually, i never really found the recoil to be an issue with the p32 or p3at either. The 32 and 3AT were no where near as reliable or comforting as the 9mm PF9. FWIW, my current pocket gun is a smith 360 m&p in .357. Gives you great reliability and lots of options of loads to shoot for fun.

HM2PAC
April 12, 2008, 08:40 PM
I had the opportunity to shoot my 'smith's PLR-16.....What a Hoot!!!

Really loud and plenty of recoil, accompanied by ear to ear grins.

JDGray
April 12, 2008, 08:42 PM
It depends if you think shooting terrible groups is fun:D

My P11s recoil was sharp, but not painfull. Well, kinda, the trigger hurts your finger. The P32 is very tame, just don't expect great groups.

The Lone Haranguer
April 12, 2008, 09:09 PM
Define "fun." ;)

wally
April 12, 2008, 09:21 PM
PLR-16 is fun, quite impressive fireball, low recoil.

Was twice as much fun when ammo cost half as much!

--wally.

rcmodel
April 12, 2008, 09:28 PM
My P3AT is very fun to shoot.
Recoil shouldn't bother any experiance big-bore handgun shooter at all. My old Walther PPK/S hurts worse then the P3AT!
Much more "sting" to it.

But a K-T pistol is not a range gun to take out and burn through 4 boxes of ammo every trip.

You need to understand they are not designed to be range guns, but rather the smallest, lightest, most powerful BUG or CCW gun ever made. They are that!

They are fun to shoot enough to keep proficient, but if you want a handgun to burn up mass quantities of ammo every weekend, you are looking at the wrong guns anyway.

rcmodel

flyby
April 12, 2008, 09:33 PM
My P32 is a fun little gun to shoot for what it is ..and has Flawless reliability in well over 1000rds

I wouldn't mind having one of those PLR-16s either :D

Phydeaux642
April 12, 2008, 09:48 PM
My P32 is reasonably fun to shoot and as accurate as I need it to be. My P11 is surprisingly accurate but painful for me to shoot. It's not the recoil that is the problem as much as it is the way the gun fits my hand. It digs into my thumb joint with every shot and I cannot figure a way to hold it that cures that. The recoil doesn't seem much different than my 642 to me.

Tribal
April 12, 2008, 10:57 PM
I've got a P-3AT and while I don't like shooting it, I may order some grip extensions and give it another round of practice. I learned that lesson with my PM9: using the flush magazine my pinky dangled and I could hardly hit a thing; with the extended magazine I had a solid grip and my groups improved noticeably.

herohog
April 12, 2008, 11:21 PM
My P-22 is plenty fun AND accurate with my +P 9mm loads. I just can't see how 9mm in ANY chassis would "have too much recoil" for someone!

coosbaycreep
April 13, 2008, 12:37 AM
I haven't put very many rounds through my P32, but the recoil is mild and it's a blast to shoot, as long as you don't think about the price of .32acp ammo while shooting it. It's not very comfortable with the standard mag, but with the grip extension mag, it fits my hands good, and will still fit in my cargo pocket.

Who would have ever guessed that something so small and cute could be so fun and dangerous?

jon_in_wv
April 13, 2008, 02:10 AM
+1 on the P32.

Mine shoots nice groups too. Maybe those who don't need a little more practice.

lvcat2004
April 13, 2008, 02:14 AM
I went to shoot my P3AT today, and it's kind of "fun" in a weird way. I believe in praticing with my CCW guns from time to time to ensure it's funcion, and that weird, creepy trigger requires some refreshers every once in a while. It's as much fun (almost, but not quite) as shooting my Mosin-Nagant M44 with that meatal butt plate on a thin T-shirt. :D It's all good :evil:

HM2PAC
April 13, 2008, 07:22 AM
wally wrote:
PLR-16 is fun, quite impressive fireball, low recoil.

Yeah, I forgot about the fireball, it was really cool.

This was one firearm that still makes me feel like Beavis or Butthead when talking about it.

camsdaddy
April 13, 2008, 10:08 AM
Well after shooting all of my handguns I found something that suprised me yesterday. I tried point shooting from a draw with only one bullet at a time. I am not sure how to explain this but my P32 is more accurate than most of the other pistols I was shooting and actually found I shoot it more accurate if I dont aim it. I feel alot more confident in my edc knowing it goes where pointed. So yeah its fun

The Lone Haranguer
April 13, 2008, 11:39 AM
I learned that lesson with my PM9: using the flush magazine my pinky dangled and I could hardly hit a thing; with the extended magazine I had a solid grip and my groups improved noticeably.
A suggestion for the future: don't let your pinky dangle. You're holding a gun, not a teacup. ;) Instead, put it to work by curling it up under the bottom of the butt. Besides giving it some work to do, it tightens the grip of your other two fingers. (This also works well on cups, especially heavy coffee mugs. ;))

If you start adding things to little guns to make them shoot like larger guns, you defeat the purpose of having a little gun, which is to be, well, little.

MCgunner
April 13, 2008, 11:56 AM
I like shooting my P11 9mm, will put 100 rounds a session through it no problem. I am a normal sized (although a little fat) grown man, can handle it I reckon. Now, a 12 ounce .357 I ain't into, but the P11 ain't bad at all.

Yeah, I have one mag with a finger extension on it I carry as a spare mag, figure the finger extension will work like a bumper pad to insure the mag seats. The mag I carry on the gun in my pocket has a flat base for proper concealment.

Hey, I've had lots of fun shooting hot .44 mags and .45 Colts, .30-30 caliber handguns, .45-70 caliber handguns (those hurt in a contender), .454 Casulls, 7mm TCUs, etc. The 9mm is a pansy caliber in any gun compared to such company. And, if you complain about .380 in a .P3AT, it's time to take up shuffle board. :rolleyes: I STILL don't like shooting 12 ounce .357s, though. ROFL If that were the only choice I had in concealment, I'd take up shuffle board. :D

Well after shooting all of my handguns I found something that suprised me yesterday. I tried point shooting from a draw with only one bullet at a time. I am not sure how to explain this but my P32 is more accurate than most of the other pistols I was shooting and actually found I shoot it more accurate if I dont aim it. I feel alot more confident in my edc knowing it goes where pointed. So yeah its fun

Likely from practice, the gun points well for you. Any gun I shoot a lot is that way and I've fired my P11 and my Ruger P90 most and they point instinctively for me. The P11 is pretty danged accurate anyway, most accurate autoloading pocket pistol I've ever owned not including snubby revolvers of course. But, it's almost snubby revolver accurate and carries more power and more firepower which makes me happy and is easier to conceal. I don't like having speedloaders in my pocket either. A spare mag in a knife pouch on my belt is far easier to manage.

icebones
April 13, 2008, 12:49 PM
dude, you should wait untill kel-tec comes out with a .22 lr.

or a conversion kit for the p-32 or
p-3at.

svtruth
April 13, 2008, 01:01 PM
the PLR. And AR magazines fit it. Just to touch all the bases of an anti-Brady gun.

MCgunner
April 13, 2008, 02:39 PM
Gotta love a company that shoots the bird at the Bradys and won't go out of its way to pass all the ********** crap just to sell guns there to the detriment of the rest of the country. :D

jocko
April 13, 2008, 02:53 PM
port the little suckers and then shoot it like u stole it..

Darth Muffin
April 13, 2008, 06:19 PM
I have P11, P40, and 2 P3ATs. I wouldn't say any are "fun" to shoot.

Now their Sub2000 folding carbines are a kick in the pants. Great fun plinking guns.

TexasShooter59
April 13, 2008, 07:19 PM
Thank you for all the comments! It appears that the recoil issue is subjective, and may be related to what other calibers/pistols the user regularly shoots.

I'm really not looking for it to be a range fun gun (got a few of those), but was just curious if any of the smaller guns would fit into the "fun" category. The PLR-16 would definitely fit in the "fun" category, I would think!

You need to understand they are not designed to be range guns...

rcmodel - Do you say this for durability reasons, or something else? I don't know what the reasonable life of the small Kel-Tecs should be.

batmann
April 13, 2008, 07:23 PM
I have P-3AT and I can sum it up in one word----Nope.
The are not 'fun' to shoot, but they are a carry a lot and and shoot little.

Safety First
April 13, 2008, 10:25 PM
The P3At was designed to be an "always with you gun", flat and light it weighs in around 10 oz give or take a little and fun to shoot a few rounds at a time.I don't mind the recoil on mine as long as I don't shoot more than a few magazines at a time. I really do like mine and by the way I really do have fun shooting my PLR 16 and yes, good ear protection is a must as the PLR is very, very loud...YMMV...

freebird
April 13, 2008, 11:17 PM
I think my little P3at is a blast to shoot! Of course I have not shot more than 4 clips through it at once. I was shooting at an old oil drum while walking toward it, pretty fun but definitely not a range gun like mentioned above!

MCgunner
April 13, 2008, 11:22 PM
I don't know what the reasonable life of the small Kel-Tecs should be.

All I can tell you is my P11 has in excess of 11,000 rounds through it and counting. Accuracy has not deteriorated, no obvious wear problems other than holster wear from 12 years of carry. I got one early on not long after they hit the market and put a lot of rounds through it in its first 8 or so years, but have slacked off in the last several. I still shoot it, just not as much anymore. I used to burn 100 rounds through it sometimes every couple of weeks at the range. Even shot the thing a few times in IDPA just to see how I'd do and not that bad I might add. :D I shot nine and still shoot nine and .38 the most. I have a P85 I used to shoot IDPA with, also. But, we have these 6" falling plates that are remote reset with a rope at the 25 yard benches and some pepper poppers and such. The P11 is accurate enough to clear those falling plates from 25 yards if you concentrate. It's a total hoot because of its accuracy, so it gets fired a lot plinking in addition to the self defense practice. One thing I find makes it more comfortable to shoot is a finger grooved Hogue "hand all" slip on grip sleeve.

If I ever do wear this thing out, it has a lifetime warranty. I'll just sent it to Florida for repair or replacement. :D KT's customer service is second to none. I will admit that many of the rounds I've fired in the thing were light 105 grain SWC handloads pushing under 1000 fps. It feeds and ejects them in a little pile just to my right making brass pick up easy and is 100 percent. It's not quite making 300 ft lbs with this load, but it's cheap to shoot as I cast the bullet for it. I've fired a fair number of WWB, Remington 115, and Blazer brass and equivalent power level handloads, too. But, I keep the +P stuff to a bare minimum. Probably only less than 500 rounds of +P through it in its life. I usually fire up my old carry stuff in my Ruger, know it can easily take the punishment.

Rex B
April 14, 2008, 05:22 PM
I've had 3 P11s, 2 P3ATs, and 2 P32s. I enjoyed shooting all of them. Recoil is a non-issue, although my wife's Colt Agent .38spl hurts me every time.
the P11 is the most enjoyable because the grip fits my hand like a glove. All are accurate enough, but the sights on the smaller ones aren't much use on bullseyes.

I think the pinkie extensions and trigger shoes are a must. I do concede the mag extension enlarges them, and you can't get the P32 or P3AT back into the zipper case with them. But it aids controllability so much, especially in the .380. Recoil on the P32 is low enough that I'll settle for a two-finger grip to keep the package small.

roo_ster
April 14, 2008, 05:33 PM
My P40 is the opposite of "fun."

That said, it does it job.

Nasty
April 14, 2008, 07:42 PM
Neither my P32 nor PF9 were bought as range guns. I train with them, but their role is to be carried and as such, are *perfect*.

Both are totally reliable and more than accurate enough. The PF9 shoots 2 inch groups standing offhand all day long...plenty good enough for CCW. The P32 will do 2 inchers at 15, again, standing offhand.

gpr
April 14, 2008, 08:28 PM
coming soon to a store near you http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1199303490

TTR
April 15, 2008, 12:34 PM
My Keltec P3AT was definately not fun to shoot. 50 or 60 hickups of various kinds within the 1st 150 rounds. Sent it back to Keltec, waited 7 weeks only to find out all they did was polish the feed ramp. I traded it in without test firing it because I didn't trust the pistol for self defense and I didn't want to be a test rat for Keltec. I probably just bought a bad one.

tinygnat219
April 15, 2008, 12:59 PM
SUB 2000 in 9MM is a literal blast!

freebird
April 15, 2008, 06:11 PM
I would love the chance to shoot one!

freebird
April 15, 2008, 06:14 PM
[QUOTE]My Keltec P3AT was definately not fun to shoot. 50 or 60 hickups of various kinds within the 1st 150 rounds. Sent it back to Keltec, waited 7 weeks only to find out all they did was polish the feed ramp. I traded it in without test firing it because I didn't trust the pistol for self defense and I didn't want to be a test rat for Keltec. I probably just bought a bad one.[QUOTE]

I had the same problem with my new P3AT but I polished the feed ramp and I have not had one problem since. I understand your concerns though because I still at times have doubts on mine in the back of my head!

freebird
April 15, 2008, 06:16 PM
I guess I need to learn how to properly post a previous posting. :banghead: How is this done if you want to show in your post or make reference to the previous posters comment?

TexasShooter59
April 15, 2008, 08:34 PM
I guess I need to learn how to properly post a previous posting.

See the "Quick Reply" at the bottom of this page? The last icon on the right looks like a balloon, like what comic strips put what the characters are saying in. Click on that and cut & paste the quoted text in between the QUOTE tags.

You can try this out without submitting in the advance reply by clicking the preview button and then just back out of it with you browser back button.

TexasShooter59
April 15, 2008, 08:35 PM
Thanks for all the replies! :cool:

ExSoldier
April 15, 2008, 08:43 PM
In a 9mm, this thing is a BLAST! Very 007, too.

http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/images/big/sub2000_01.jpg

In the .223, this is my next purchase:

http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/images/big/plr16_01.jpg

Except with a different optic.

Stevie-Ray
April 16, 2008, 12:01 AM
My PLR-16 is a total blast to shoot. But it hurt$ financially.

marv
April 16, 2008, 12:48 PM
Get a KelTec Sub2000. Duck tape a laser pointer to the forearm beneath the barrel. Gives a whole new meaning to the word fun.

sph33r
April 16, 2008, 05:37 PM
My P11 is surprisingly accurate but painful for me to shoot. It's not the recoil that is the problem as much as it is the way the gun fits my hand. It digs into my thumb joint with every shot and I cannot figure a way to hold it that cures that. The recoil doesn't seem much different than my 642 to me.

I have the same issue! I go home from the range with the thumb joint of my right hand beet red. I don't really find the gun that much fun to shoot.

krs
April 16, 2008, 06:19 PM
I put the Hogue piece of inner tube on all of them, a P32, a 3Pat, and most recently a P11. They improve the grip without making the pistols bigger.

I LOVE shooting them All! They don't kick worth talking about. The checkering in their grips will start to abrade after awhile, but the Hogue thingy takes care of that. I sanded down the P32 soon after I got it and that worked too.

The P11 is as accurate as I care to hold it, but most times I shoot for speed with accuracy so I end up with groups between 4" and maybe 8" at 15 yards. Both pistols are comfortable except for the trigger pinching my finger slightly. They sell a trigger shoe for each model for $6.95 so I ordered a couple of those when I went to get two 12 round mags for the P11.

P11 is rapidly becoming my favorite carry gun. Just went over 500 rounds without a single hiccough or even a burp. It just fires every time I pull and that's what I want.

Keltec has really pulled something off here in providing inexpensive firearms that work good. They've taken Gaston's design and made it into everyman's gun and except for snobs or people who'd snivel about the kick of a capgun I've never known anyone who didn't like them if they had a chance to shoot them.

Lobotomy Boy
April 16, 2008, 06:24 PM
The PLR-16 is the most fun to shoot of any of my guns. It has gotten expensive, but it's still fun. I just need to start reloading.

DMZ
April 16, 2008, 06:30 PM
My PF-9 is fun to shoot a mag or two through every so often to stay proficient with it. That's about it.

I don't know what the reasonable life of the small Kel-Tecs should be.
TexasShooter59 is offline Report Post

Kel Tec says a PF-9 should be good for ~6,000 rounds. I don't think I will ever get there with mine.

AdamSean
April 16, 2008, 09:01 PM
I have owned and shot all of these Kel-Tec models:

P-11
P-32
P-3AT
PF-9

Out of all of them, I find the PF-9 the easiest and most fun to shoot. I also find it easy to carry in my pocket. Even the +P ammo is fairly easy to shoot out of it.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a277/zg8/PF-9001.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Are any of the Kel-Tec models "fun" to shoot?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!