Revised poster

PDA

Oleg Volk
April 13, 2008, 01:30 AM
http://olegvolk.net/gallery/d/24643-2/merethings9115.jpg

See another revision below.

If you enjoyed reading about "Revised poster" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JCMAG
April 13, 2008, 01:54 AM
I approve! Some constructive criticism (if this is appropriate, of course: You could cut "mere" for brevity. Short is sweet, especially on posters.

Great work, Oleg. I really enjoy your work. :)

hso
April 13, 2008, 01:57 AM
Switch the diskette for a CD ROM or a thumb drive or something more up to date for the computer example.

roastpuff
April 13, 2008, 01:59 AM
Oleg, something more modern for the "Hacker" part would work better. What about a mouse or a keyboard or as has been suggested, a CD? Perhaps a thumb drive?

Otherwise, great poster.

ralphie98
April 13, 2008, 02:03 AM
I like the idea of a mouse instead of a diskette. I'm also not so sure about the "mere things" part... just doesn't feel right to me. Maybe something like "objects don't cause crime"

Acheron
April 13, 2008, 02:05 AM
Update the hacker bit and it'll be perfect.

I love your work Oleg! Keep up the good work!

DoubleTapDrew
April 13, 2008, 02:10 AM
I like it. You might want to consider doing a moden one with up to date computer hardware as suggested and a newer carry gun like an auto or snubby.

NeoSpud
April 13, 2008, 02:10 AM
This is excellent, Oleg.

Updating the diskette is unnecessary; the idea is to transmit the image of a computer-related accessory, and for the photographic space quality it is really good. Any smaller, and the top of the poster would feel cramped. Great job.

markk
April 13, 2008, 02:15 AM
I'm also not so sure about the "mere things" part... just doesn't feel right to me. Maybe something like "objects don't cause crime"

I agree, "objects don't cause crime" reads better, IMO.

WayneConrad
April 13, 2008, 02:24 AM
Great art, great concept!

Another vote for "Objects don't cause crime"

Diskette is fine. Instantly recognizable. Mouse would be fine, too. Thumb drive would not be fine: Lots of people don't use them, and would not recognize it.

Oleg Volk
April 13, 2008, 02:24 AM
http://olegvolk.net/gallery/d/24646-2/things9133.jpg

markk
April 13, 2008, 02:32 AM
What does a lighter have to do with a hacker?

Just kidding, but I think the disk was more recognizable...

Oleg Volk
April 13, 2008, 02:37 AM
This image was done for a Canadian magazine, hence the use of a Webley.

mccook8
April 13, 2008, 02:38 AM
INANIMATE objects.

Oleg Volk
April 13, 2008, 02:41 AM
mcook8 -- I can't see any difference between my spelling and yours. Is something wrong with that word?

ArfinGreebly
April 13, 2008, 03:39 AM
Wonder what that would look like with a cordless mouse instead of the thumb drive.

It's a different level of obvious.

Good poster, Oleg.

takhtakaal
April 13, 2008, 03:41 AM
Use a Nagant revolver, and then you could write something about being a Russian revolutionary!

:D

Oleg Volk
April 13, 2008, 03:41 AM
I don't have a cordless mouse on hand. Could try with a regular one and retouch the cord or have it trail off the edge...but not tonight. Need sleep. Need to do paid work.

Catherine
April 13, 2008, 04:07 AM
Outstanding and thanks!

Sincerely,

Catherine

The Unknown User
April 13, 2008, 04:23 AM
Oleg<3

:D

rodregier
April 13, 2008, 09:01 AM
Oleg:

Which Canadian magazine?

WayneConrad
April 13, 2008, 10:30 AM
A step backwards, Oleg. "inanimate" is unnecessary unless you're a lawyer.
What does a lighter have to do with a hacker?

Just kidding, but I think the disk was more recognizable...
Completely agree. The diskette is instantly recognizable. The thumb drive is not.

highorder
April 13, 2008, 11:16 AM
The 3.5" floppy disk is obsolete, so a hacker would have no use for it. I'm 30, and see the USB drive as ubiquitous.

I like the current version.

beaucoup ammo
April 13, 2008, 11:22 AM
Outstanding, Oleg! My only suggestion would be to change the 1st item to a mouse..sort of a "finger on the trigger" subliminal. Also, more recognizable as a computer related item.

Bravo! It's not easy, superb quality aside, to come up with the many ways of conveying a single message as you have done.

savetheclaypigeons
April 13, 2008, 11:24 AM
what was that green thing in the first image you speak of? Diskette? Is that a new fangled hacker tool?

jungleroy
April 13, 2008, 11:25 AM
I like the second version much better.
Most invasive programs today are transported on USB drives with the U3 operating system built into it.

lowracer
April 13, 2008, 11:33 AM
I'd scratch the word Inanimate:

OBJECTS DON'T CAUSE CRIME.

It's more direct and to the point.

Instead of the USB drive, which will appear obsolete in a few years, how about a processor chip? Chips pretty much look all the same year after year after year. You could even use one of the photomicrographs of the chip surface. Only a microprocessor architect could tell it was obsolete.

http://www.zdnet.com.au/shared/images/insight/intel/fig05_1286B_536x558.jpg

beaucoup ammo
April 13, 2008, 11:38 AM
With respect, I think only a microprocessor architect would know what it was at first sight. Post has to have immediate impact.

savetheclaypigeons
April 13, 2008, 11:40 AM
plus at first glance it looks like a map of downtown

highorder
April 13, 2008, 11:52 AM
I think it's a map of Omaha!

WayneConrad
April 13, 2008, 11:52 AM
Someone needs to send Oleg a cordless mouse. We've got a generational divide between diskettes and thumb drives. But I think everyone recognizes a mouse right away.

jfh
April 13, 2008, 11:56 AM
I don't want to segue unnecessarily here--but there is that pithy quote in the latest WaPost thread about the VA 60% increase in carry permits--

"... A lot of folks would rather be safe than feel safe."

So, three lines:

Feel Safe?
Be Safe?
Take Your Pick

... all imprinted over the ghosted silhouette of a handgun.

Jim H.

Otahyoni
April 13, 2008, 12:22 PM
I agree with those that say to use a mouse. I also prefer the wording from the original.

"Would having a PC make you a hacker?

A Knife, a slasher?

A Lighter, an arsonist?

Objects don't cause crime."

MT GUNNY
April 13, 2008, 12:27 PM
Key boards havent changed!!

Oleg Volk
April 13, 2008, 01:00 PM
The magazine (http://www.nfa.ca/content/section/5/197/)

fearless leader
April 13, 2008, 01:46 PM
That is a very good message, Oleg.

Travis McGee
April 13, 2008, 02:17 PM
I like version two better, but the USB thing is too vague. A mouse would make the point more clearly, and is more gun-sized for artistic balance.

Travis McGee
April 13, 2008, 02:19 PM
Plus, the other three items are things that you hold in your hand when slashing, committing arson, or shooting someone. A computer mouse stays with this "hand held tool" POV, where the rather vague looking USB drive doesn't. That is, when the hacker is using the USB drive, it's in the computer, not in his hand. A mouse is hand held, like the other three tools.

IME
April 13, 2008, 02:28 PM
A question, what is the age of the demographic you are trying to reach? If it is anyone who is over the age of thirty, they will recognize the diskette for what it is.

Having said that, someone above mentioned a keyboard and I agree. That is universally understood as the "hands-on" tool of the computer.

<><Peace

Oleg Volk
April 13, 2008, 03:16 PM
I might revise. Will think about it. Scale disparity argues against the substitutions.

Here's the original:

http://www.a-human-right.com/somesee2_s.jpg

Im283
April 13, 2008, 04:02 PM
you are hung up on the "mere" word.

I think you ought to leave it out.

Oleg Volk
April 13, 2008, 04:06 PM
The most recent version doesn't have "mere".

Quiet
April 13, 2008, 04:29 PM
I like the second version as well.

USB drives are in common use today, so it's more relevant as a tool a "hacker" might use.
Floppy disks harkens back to the old skool days of BBS and only "script kiddies" would use a mouse to try and "hack".

Rachen
April 13, 2008, 06:05 PM
Wow, I am very impressed. They all are good, though I liked the first one the best:D Just change it to a USB drive. But don't alter the "mere objects" line.

And:

I think it's a map of Omaha!

No I think it is Gecko45's super tactical operations map of every single bathroom and video arcade center of the US's largest indoor retail shopping mall. the white lines mark the places where pedophilic rapists stalk and might follow the Mayor's 13 year old nephew to one of the bathrooms.
The thicker white lines represent the tracks that he will use to drive his tactical golfcart to an emergency.

paramedic70002
April 14, 2008, 03:21 PM
Funny I was just wondering where all your fine posters get used when you mentioned a magazine. How much exposure does your gun related artwork get?

ctdonath
April 14, 2008, 04:45 PM
Replace the knife with a classic Boy Scout or Swiss model.

Lockbacks are illegal in some jurisdictions (IIRC) and scare sheep.

NG VI
April 14, 2008, 04:52 PM
Looks great, I agree with the recommendation to eliminate "Inanimate". I think it looks cleaner and reads quicker/easier to retain if it's just Objects.

If you enjoyed reading about "Revised poster" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!