What size target can you reliably hit at 30 yards?

PDA

357-8-times
April 13, 2008, 11:16 AM
Holding a hand gun (no bench rest or sandbags) and using iron sites?

"Reliably" can be defined as at least 6 out of 8 shots.

Please post the size and firearm AND IF YOU CAN ACTUALLY SEE THE TARGET CLEARLY AT 30 YARDS?.

If you enjoyed reading about "What size target can you reliably hit at 30 yards?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
briansp82593
April 13, 2008, 11:25 AM
i shot a mt dew can at 110 yards with a ruger mk2 great eight, it took two shots, one to see how low the bullet would be at that distance, another to take it, and i did this unsupported standing up.

rbernie
April 13, 2008, 11:36 AM
Thirty yards and iron sights with an unsupposted pistol? A grapefruit.

rantingredneck
April 13, 2008, 11:36 AM
I like to play "make the can dance" on the 30 yd target berm. Toss a can on the berm back up and shoot, it'll bounce and land somewhere else on the berm, shoot again, repeat.

Out of 10 shots I might miss one with my MkIII22/45

With my P90/P345's I can usually hold 4-5" 8 shot groups two hand unsupported at that distance. Stray flier aside I can keep them all on a paper plate without sweating too hard.

papajohn
April 13, 2008, 11:38 AM
At our club range our standard drill is shooting at clay pigeons on the berm 50 yards away. On good days they don't last long, on crummy days we hit one about every ten shots. This is two-handed standing, most of my guns have fixed sights, my fellow shooters use a variety of guns, with varying sights. Each of us has gone six-for-six on clays at that range but that's not the norm. But if the range was reduced to thirty yards, I'd call it a fair bet we could do it more often than not. We are all experienced handgunners, all over 50, and have each been shooting for 25 years or more, and most of us have shot in competition at one time or another.

What's a clay pigeon, 4 inches across? I can hit a clay pigeon at 30 yards five out of six from my hind legs, assuming good ammo and fair light. That's on an average day. On a bad day, well, I've got a few excuses saved up! :p

Papajohn

dmftoy1
April 13, 2008, 12:14 PM
5.5 inch Shoot-n-See's are no problem with any pistol in my safe at that range. (Unless I try to do double taps or hurry my shot) I still for the life of me can't figure out how Rob Leatham can put two shots downrange that fast and hit what he's shooting at . . . .I've been trying for 25 years and while I've gotten better I'm not even half as fast . . . :(

SaxonPig
April 13, 2008, 12:15 PM
A barn...

Assuming I am standing inside of it.

Hypnogator
April 13, 2008, 12:18 PM
All shots on a salad-sized paper plate with Taurus PT-145 Millennium Pro firing 230-gr Hydra-Shoks.

bensdad
April 13, 2008, 12:24 PM
30 yds? Irons? Free-hand? Wings off a fly.

Provided there's a dead possum with about a gazillion flies on it at the 30 yd. mark.

siglite
April 13, 2008, 12:25 PM
Yeah, paper plate here too.

cavman
April 13, 2008, 12:57 PM
B-8 Targets: 10-ring 3.36"
9-ring 5.54"
8-ring 8"

.22 M41 9/10 ring all day long at 25 yards

.45 probably most in the 9/10-rings with some in the 8-ring

one handed

Harley Quinn
April 13, 2008, 12:58 PM
Depends on the weapon I am shooting, some of them just are not as accurate as others.

If it is a Glock and slow fire hand held the 6" circle is about right but the 8" dinner plate is a good one for most days. I have done better and worse, the range I shoot at is a 25yder max:)

I believe is a waste of time to practice at that yardage unless you are just shooting slow fire, and want to see for fun. If you are a hunter than you need to shoot the 25 yd, 50 yd, 75 yd and 100 yd:uhoh:

I'll add:
The best thing to practice at is the 5,7, and 10 yd for a hand gun, do some slow fire, right, and left handed single, and then both hands on the weapon.

Semi rapid fire is the fastest they allow at the location I shoot, it is good because in a real shoot out you are going to be under anxiety and are going to be shooting faster than normal, so you need to practice slower and hitting what you are aiming at.

Sorry not asked but thought it was a good thing to mention.

;)

Ala Dan
April 13, 2008, 01:02 PM
When back in MY thirties (oh NO, many years ago~!), I could hit a
beer can sitting on a picket fence post at 100 yards, everytime with
a Smith & Wesson 6" model 19-2 .357 magnum; and using my own
handloads. ;)

Also, I made a one-time head shot on a humingbird that decided to
rest on my target stand a mere 80 yards away; with a Smith & Wesson
4" barrel model 18-3 .22LR. ;) :D

CBS220
April 13, 2008, 01:03 PM
Consistent on a can. Anything smaller it depends on how well I'm doing that day.

Acheron
April 13, 2008, 01:06 PM
Well, I'm not much of a pistol shot...but I can reliably hit an 8 by 11 piece of paper at 30 yds with my father's Kimber.

CBS220
April 13, 2008, 01:10 PM
Well, I'm not much of a pistol shot...but I can reliably hit an 8 by 11 piece of paper at 30 yds with my father's Kimber.

As far as I'm concerned, that would keep me away from you provided I was of a criminal bent.

JWarren
April 13, 2008, 01:13 PM
Depends on the handgun.

With my father's Ruger Security Six .357 magnum with 6" barrel, I can hit a cottonmouth in the head at 30 yards.

With my Glock 19, I could hit a bus in the side at 30 yards.

With my 1911, I could hit a garbage can Center of Mass at 30 yards.

But I shoot revolvers a LOT better than semi-autos.

-- John

pharmer
April 13, 2008, 01:14 PM
I can hit a man-sized target reliably at 30 yds, unsupported with, well sights don't matter, I can't see them fixed or adjustable. Joe

357-8-times
April 13, 2008, 02:20 PM
I updated the original post adding an extra question:

CAN YOU ACTUALLY SEE THE TARGET CLEARLY AT 30 YARDS?

papajohn
April 13, 2008, 02:28 PM
Absolutely! (Provided of course, it's Day-Glo orange, on a contrasting background......:cool:)

PJ

fearless leader
April 13, 2008, 02:37 PM
A coffee cup.

Japle
April 13, 2008, 03:02 PM
I’ve been shooting for 49 years. My early training was in the Jr. NRA program shooting .22 target rifles. I learned trigger control and follow-through right from the beginning. There’s a Jr. NRA Distinguished award somewhere in my files.

Much later, I was an IHMSA International class shooter in all four centerfire classes we had back then.

I know how to shoot groups.

Currently, I have a few centerfire pistols that’ll shoot groups under 2” at 30 yds.
My Ruger .22/45 will do better than that, probably under an inch. My best 10 shot 25 yd groups with that gun run 1 1/16” to 1 3/8”.
My BHP and Witness .38 Super will both group 5 rounds under 1 ˝” at 25 yds.

I never shoot these pistols off sandbags. The groups above were all fired two-handed, standing.

John
Cape Canaveral

SoCalShooter
April 13, 2008, 05:34 PM
Consistently I can put 8 out of 10 shots inside a 2 inch diameter. With my MKIII 22.LR with my Colt I can do about a 4 inch diameter. With my les baer I will let you know.

.cheese.
April 13, 2008, 05:36 PM
reliably? A brick wall 1 mile x 1 mile.

I can personally guarantee that I'll hit it every time.

ETA: darn... SaxonPig beat me to it.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
April 13, 2008, 05:37 PM
30 yards, 3 out of 4 consistently, offhand, with handgun? I gotta go with 5-6", and only with a CZ-75, not any other handgun I own; most likely would need 6", and only after about 5 practice shots to "get in the groove". At 25 yards, I might have said 4.5-5". Might be able to do better with a rimfire, but for centerfires, that's what we've got.

As for some of the claims made here, I'll just say "I'd sure like to see it!". Wooo-doggy, gotta love the internet. :) :uhoh:

PeteRR
April 13, 2008, 05:44 PM
20 oz plastic soda bottle with my custom Para Ordnance at 50 yards.

Lupinus
April 13, 2008, 05:54 PM
I dunno I'm still not a great pistol shot

I'll stick with the long side of a barn

mek42
April 13, 2008, 06:59 PM
At 25 yards I can keep everything on a 16" square target with a 4" 1911 in 45 ACP. My groups are smaller than the 16", but I don't remember the exact measurements.

This is off hand, one hand on the pistol, iron sights, with not much difference if I am shooting right or left handed.

herohog
April 13, 2008, 07:22 PM
In 1994 I was able to put 9 of 10 (or better) in the 8 ring of a B-27 sillhouette at 25 yards with a 9mm Norinco Tokarev, No problem.

These days, I'm happy if I can keep it in the 5 @ 20 yards!

M2 Carbine
April 13, 2008, 09:32 PM
I can't find any 30 yard targets.

This is about what I do offhand at 50 yards with the compact guns. The target is 8.5 inches wide, so I'd say at 30 yards I'd mostly stay inside 6 inches.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/kimber_tu_50_yards_3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/kimber_tu_50_yards_1.jpg

SoCalShooter
April 13, 2008, 09:34 PM
As for some of the claims made here, I'll just say "I'd sure like to see it!". Wooo-doggy, gotta love the internet.

I'll get you a picture of a target the next time I have a chance.

xring44
April 13, 2008, 09:51 PM
There are many finer pistol shots than I, being well past the half century mark I've found a diopter is my best friend with iron sights. I can actually see the sights and the target.

I shoot hunter silhouettes with a dot sighted S&W 686 fairly well, but since we are only shooting iron sights, with my favorite 1911 in .45 ACP, with aforementioned diopter, I believe I can keep them all in the black of a 25 yard target at the prescribed distance of 30 yards, standing, two hand hold.

This is not to say I can do it everyday, but on most days I believe I can.
I normally shoot at 15 yards and keep them in the X and 10 ring.

Huddog
April 13, 2008, 09:54 PM
Kimber .45 size of paper plate 6 to 8 out of 8.

M2 Carbine
April 13, 2008, 10:14 PM
I found a couple targets of a .380 and 9x18 Makarov at 35 yards.
So I would say I need about 6 inches for most compact guns.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/Mak380target.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/Maktestgun35yards.jpg

doc2rn
April 13, 2008, 10:19 PM
I can shoot 3" suckers out of a 2x4 at that range with my 6" Ruger MKII.
I also like those neon colorred golf balls to practice on.

f4t9r
April 13, 2008, 10:22 PM
I can hit a 4 ft circle all day long at 30 yards.:neener:
I would say a pepsi can is no problem at 30.

CNYCacher
April 13, 2008, 10:31 PM
I believe there are other "What was your best shot?" threads.

To answer the question posed by the OP "What sized target can you consistently hit at 30 yards?":

I can consistently hit a 10" target at 25 yards with my Ruger P89 using two hands standing unsupported.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
April 13, 2008, 10:58 PM
I'll get you a picture of a target the next time I have a chance.

You'd better make a video, because a target doesn't prove distance to target, or shooting method/stance. I'll be very impressed if you can do that though. I'll note that you did not say WHICH gun you shoot 8 out of 10 with. You only followed that up with "and this is what I can do with a rimfire...". :)

Consistently I can put 8 out of 10 shots inside a 2 inch diameter. With my MKIII 22.LR with my Colt I can do about a 4 inch diameter. With my les baer I will let you know.

Japle will also need a video camera...

Currently, I have a few centerfire pistols that’ll shoot groups under 2” at 30 yds.
My Ruger .22/45 will do better than that, probably under an inch. My best 10 shot 25 yd groups with that gun run 1 1/16” to 1 3/8”.
My BHP and Witness .38 Super will both group 5 rounds under 1 ˝” at 25 yds.

I never shoot these pistols off sandbags. The groups above were all fired two-handed, standing.

Not saying that it wasn't done; ain't saying that. Just that some video would be very helpful. :)

RoadkingLarry
April 13, 2008, 11:01 PM
I can put all 7 in the mag through one tight hole just to the left and a bit low of the center of the target with my Kimber Custom II. And yes, all those other holes in the target backer were already there, I promise.

Noxx
April 13, 2008, 11:18 PM
At our club range our standard drill is shooting at clay pigeons on the berm 50 yards away.

One of our favorites here as well.

With the P226, I'd say I can ding a clay at that range 8 out of 10 on the first shot. Now with the 686 I can probably hit a bug in the eye at 30 yards, but then I spend significantly more time lining up when I fire the revolver.

Not so long ago I was a very mediocre shot at best. I made a decision to achieve a certain level of proficiency, and by hitting the range 3-4 days a week I was able to get there pretty quickly. Now I go every other week or so to maintain that level and I feel confident in my abilities should the need arise to exercise them, anything beyond that is just bragging rights.

davepool
April 13, 2008, 11:26 PM
"can you actually SEE the target"

yea sure it's a big fuzzy black dot about 8" in diameter:)

Ankeny
April 13, 2008, 11:32 PM
Cold, on demand, day in and day out, reliably...not any where near as good as many of these guys. Then again, I am only Master (High Master, Grand Master) or better in a dozen shooting sports. I need to practice.

searcher451
April 13, 2008, 11:36 PM
The real test begins when someone is 30 yards away and shooting back.

Sgt.Dusk
April 13, 2008, 11:44 PM
I can hit the first 5 silhouettes at the range quite reliably. thats ~30yrds.

cpttango30
April 13, 2008, 11:44 PM
I can hit a ground squirrel in the head with either my Beretta Neos or my Kimber Custom II.

Beretta is using Eley Pistol Match ammo and my Kimber using 200gr Rainer Flat point with 5.5gr Titegroup.

GeezerwithGuns
April 13, 2008, 11:54 PM
Oh, something about the size of a dump truck. :what:

XD Fan
April 14, 2008, 12:02 AM
All this braggadocio really ticks me off.

Okay, what's really bothering me is that I don't shoot anywhere close to as well as a lot of you guys. Me? I guess, 10" circle at 30 yards will confine all shots from one magazine, not counting the occasional flier.

I would like to spend an afternoon shooting and learning with some of you guys.

Kind of Blued
April 14, 2008, 12:17 AM
Also, I made a one-time head shot on a humingbird that decided to
rest on my target stand a mere 80 yards away; with a Smith & Wesson
4" barrel model 18-3 .22LR.

HAHA! That is great. I personally HATE hummingbirds. I've had two of them fly directly into my torso in northern Saskatchewan. As small as they are, the sound of them coming in, and the small surface area really makes for a terrifying PUNCH in your chest.

The next time it happens, I think I know the sound well enough to notice in time, and give it a good slap.

Man I hate those things... :)

Black Majik
April 14, 2008, 12:22 AM
100' x 100'.

I can reliably hit it at 30 yards.

Dysfunctional Individual
April 14, 2008, 02:42 AM
Some gunrag authors boast about hitting 2.5" to 3" offhand at 25 yards (in the guise of "testing" the "accuracy" of a new pistol for their article).

brigadier
April 14, 2008, 03:18 AM
At 30 yards, I can print one hole groups with my Desert Eagle, though they will be the size of a quarter by the end of the magazine VS a dime at 10 meters.
At 300, I can hit usually 6-7 out of 8 shots with my CZ-52. Haven't tried my 10mm Beretta but I imagine I can do even better with the Double Tap 135gr JHPs.
That's all when I am tuned in. Right now, I have made it to the range 3 times in the last 2 years, so I am inevitably rusty and not nearly that good at the moment.

jaytex1969
April 14, 2008, 03:20 AM
I can usually put 5 of 5 into the torso of a man sized silhouette with my Ruger P97DC. I can scare the silhouette real good with my Keltec P11. At that range, my slingshot is more accurate that the Keltec.

I sit in my swivel chair in the living room with the slingshot and shoot dried chickpeas at the possums and raccoons coming in through the cat door in the kitchen...

FireArmFan
April 14, 2008, 03:32 AM
With a 1911 I could most likely shoot an 12" by 12" piece of paper at 30 yards pretty consistently.

It would probably have be 15" x 15" or so before I'd be super confident with most other pistols at 30 yards. And the shots would have to be slowly fired. I don't usually train past about 15 yards with pistols unless I'm just goofing around. I'm no Rob Leatham or Todd Jarrett but I try my best and practice about once a week.

FireArmFan
April 14, 2008, 03:44 AM
At 30 yards, I can print one hole groups with my Desert Eagle, though they will be the size of a quarter by the end of the magazine VS a dime at 10 meters.

Are you saying you can make all rounds touch at 30 yards? I'm not trying to call you out or say you're a liar. I'm just clarifying because that is something I've never seen before. I honestly don't think I could make every single round touch each other on a target at 5 yards. Again I'm not saying you can't do it, I'm just saying that is really good shooting if that's what you're refering too.

ArfinGreebly
April 14, 2008, 04:40 AM
I can do ten for ten on a Frisbee at 30 yards, using a Ruger MkII, and keep most of them within an eight-inch centered circle.

I can do a six-inch circle at 20 yards, and a four-inch circle at 15.

Here's a four-inch circle at 15
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=76447&d=1208162221

I'm not so good with my 9mm or 40 S&W. It's not the gun.

Bob Smith of FRGC demonstrated that my Taurus 911 (9mm) will do two inches at 15 yards.

Me? I can do minute of Frisbee at 30, but not all of them will land on target.

It's funny, I don't flinch with the .22, but I push my shots down with the 9mm and worse with the .40 S&W.

Need more range time and some decent instruction.

Dismantler
April 14, 2008, 08:19 AM
I shoot at a local sandpit and measure 25 yards off with a tape. I can hit better with my MK II than with my Model 10.

With the MK II I shoot at pieces of clay birds that others have left. I find that the smaller the target, the more concentration I have on it. I can shoot some really tiny pieces of clay bird, whereas if I have a target in front of me...they are all over the paper.

With the Model 10 I can put them all in a 14" X 20" cardboard pretty easily. (That is the size of my upper torso.)

ZeSpectre
April 14, 2008, 08:54 AM
There's a lot of "it depends" to answering this question.
First, yes I can see a target at 30 yards, though not nearly as clearly as when I was younger <sigh>.

Secondly it depends on the gun. Like JWarren said earlier I also have a Ruger Security Six .357 magnum with 6" barrel and the sweetest trigger you can imagine. If I'm going slowly and having a good day I can make pretty consistent 4"-5" groups standing and shooting single handed. (I actually tend to shoot revolvers better single handed than two handed for whatever reason). I can get similar results with my CZ-75b and my SIG 229.

Thirdly it also depends on what "style" I'm shooting. If I'm taking my time and shooting "competition" style I get pretty good groups. On the other hand if I'm shooting "self defense" style things usually open up quite a bit though at 30 yards I've still successfully made a can dance with 9 out of 12 shots on a fairly regular basis.

We won't talk about the bad days <grin>.

brigadier
April 14, 2008, 08:58 AM
Are you saying you can make all rounds touch at 30 yards? I'm not trying to call you out or say you're a liar. I'm just clarifying because that is something I've never seen before. I honestly don't think I could make every single round touch each other on a target at 5 yards. Again I'm not saying you can't do it, I'm just saying that is really good shooting if that's what you're refering too.

Provided I am making frequent shooting trips, yes I can do that. Only with my Desert Eagle though. It's funny, I keep hearing about how bad they are for accuracy but I think that's one of the few good things about it. I use Miwall standard 240gr JHPs, have it sighted in for them and the gun is tuned up to a smooth recoil and has a crisp trigger.

I actually gave the 30 yard idea a shot one time about 3 years ago. After 8 rounds, the hole in the bullseye looked very similar to what those star targets at carnivals usually look like after 100 rounds of bbs in full auto are put through them. Just a rough hole in the bullseye roughly the size of a quarter or 50 cent piece.
With my .22LR pistol, I average a 7 inch to 1 foot group at that range, about the same with the CZ and the rest are a little wider (about a foot to 14 inches) at that range, though I don't think I have ever fired my 9mm at that range while trying to get some good accuracy and never checked the accuracy of my 10mm past maybe 25 yards. I wasn't aiming very carefully but the ammo was hitting very tightly in the area that I was aiming without elevation issues.
The Desert Eagle at 30 yards wasn't actually that hard. After 150 or so rounds over a month or 2 period, it becomes pretty easy to get consistent control over recoil and I only had to aim a line above the target. The really hard one was the CZ-52 at 300 yards because a 3 foot target at that range is only a little larger in the sight picture then a 2 inch bullseye at 30 (both of which are much smaller then the front sight) but with the CZ, you have to aim more then a head height above the target if you want to hit it. The Desert Eagle drops a story at that range making it harder to hit with then the CZ even though it's much better then the CZ at closer ranges.

woerm
April 14, 2008, 12:35 PM
just love reactive birdfood

r:D

Cosmoline
April 14, 2008, 12:39 PM
Off hand slow fire? Six inches, maybe better with a longer barrel and finer sights. Best one was my Colt PPS.

An UNSUPPORTED Deagle off hand? With that big .44 those are excellent groups. You should go into competition shooting if you can do that reliably.

XDKingslayer
April 14, 2008, 01:32 PM
It depends.

With my XD45-LE about 4". With my Bersa .380, about 6". With my Taurus PT-138, if the berm is at 30 yards I might be able to hit the berm 8 times out of 10, but that's pushing it.

Funderb
April 14, 2008, 01:40 PM
small gatorade bottle with everything in my inventory.
Mosins, 91/30-m44, mauser, sks, cz52, various .22s.

30 yards isn't that far.

rdhood
April 14, 2008, 01:48 PM
A dinner plate with a .40S&W

Lonestar49
April 14, 2008, 01:53 PM

Hmmm,

An incoming hostile mob..

Ls

OOOXOOO
April 14, 2008, 01:56 PM
Glock 19 -5" circle- all sixteen rounds one shot per second

357-8-times
April 14, 2008, 02:50 PM
Anyone know what Massad Ayoob or any of those pros can do at 30 yds?

FireArmFan
April 14, 2008, 02:58 PM
small gatorade bottle with everything in my inventory.
Mosins, 91/30-m44, mauser, sks, cz52, various .22s.

30 yards isn't that far.

With a rifle, I would agree that 30 yards isn't too far. With a handgun, for me 30 yards is a pretty good distance. especially unsupported.

ArfinGreebly
April 14, 2008, 03:35 PM
I've not had the privilege of watching him shoot, but I received 15 minutes of example and advice from one of his students and associate instructors, Bob Smith.

Bob took my Taurus 911, a gun he'd never shot before, to help me figure out what I was doing wrong, and proceeded to place most of a magazine in a two-inch circle at 15 yards.

A 9mm pistol he'd never handled, two-inch groups.

At the end of 15 minutes of watching me and testing the gun, he gave me some advice and announced, "nice gun!"

Mas consistently wins and places well in competitions.

He's also been there, done that and, hey, who knows, since he's a member of the High Road himself, maybe we can coax him into giving us a word on groups.

I have trouble getting him to brag on himself, but maybe we can get him to make an exception.

Mas?

blackcash88
April 14, 2008, 04:42 PM
Ritz crackers with my 22/45.

Japle
April 14, 2008, 06:09 PM
I only have one target pic in my Photobucket album.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/Japle/DWScopeGroup.jpg

This was shot two-hand standing on an indoor 25 yd range.
The black is 1 7/8" in diameter.

blackcash88
April 14, 2008, 06:19 PM
Cheater! OP said iron sights only...

scythefwd
April 14, 2008, 06:22 PM
Well, 30 yards is 90 ft, I guess I could hit an 8.5X11 paper at about 100 yards with my FEG P9R, but I haven't tried that short of a distance. No scope. When I go to sight in my hunting rifle / teach the wife to shoot, Ill see if I can get a pic of the .9mm.

357-8-times
April 14, 2008, 06:30 PM
Ummm, Japle, the scope in the photo kinda gives away that it is not iron sights :rolleyes:

The Annoyed Man
April 14, 2008, 08:03 PM
I'm pretty sure that I can hit a B27 target at 30 yards pretty consistently with a 1911. How big of a group? Center of mass, but probably not a very small grouping. The only other "distance" shots I've taken with a pistol were steel animal silhouettes like pigs and deer at 75 yards with a .44 magnum. I can hit them pretty reliably. But I've never really tried to shoot small targets like a soda can or a grapefruit or something at any kind of distance with a handgun.

GearHead_1
April 14, 2008, 08:36 PM
I'm sure I could hit a softball fairly consistently. I have gotten a little more shaky as the years roll by. They tell me more practice will actually cure this. I need to do more shooting.

lonegunman
April 14, 2008, 08:52 PM
I can hit a silver dollar 8 out of 10 times at 30 yards, unsupported, one handed and with a large caliber handgun.

M2 Carbine
April 14, 2008, 11:58 PM
OK enough talk.
Put up or shut up.
You all come on over and post your targets.:D

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=351379

Noxx
April 15, 2008, 12:08 AM
Okay, what's really bothering me is that I don't shoot anywhere close to as well as a lot of you guys.

Some daily dry-fire practice will take you a LONG way. That was advice I received when I first started working on elevating my shooting from it's previous "close enough" standard.

I can't print the groups many of these guys do, even slow sighted fire, but I train myself for speed on multiple targets, and on a good day I can really raise hell on a berm full of clays with the 226. Being quick and accurate takes a lot of time learning to not jerk/yank/milk, or otherwise molest the trigger, especially working DA/SA.

Dry fire with a laser sight is a *fantastic* tool. You can watch that little red dot move as you break the trigger and see exactly how and where you're making your error.

BruceRDucer
April 15, 2008, 09:45 AM
Without using iron sights, shooting instinctive, I am fairly consistent with 12" groups at 30 yards.

That's with a Ruger GP100 in .357

Lichter
April 15, 2008, 09:55 AM
bowling pins for the most part

ashtxsniper
April 15, 2008, 10:18 AM
I can hit beer bottles with about 70% of my shots from most of my pistols at 40 yds. So I would say 12 oz glass beer bottle size target at 30 yds 90 % of the time.

jackstinson
April 15, 2008, 10:31 AM
a large one....barn-sized.
As for beer bottles, I can empty them at any range. :)

Harley Quinn
April 15, 2008, 12:14 PM
As for beer bottles, I can empty them at any range.

What range allows you to drink while shooting;):D

RPCVYemen
April 15, 2008, 04:10 PM
Okay, what's really bothering me is that I don't shoot anywhere close to as well as a lot of you guys.

Not exactly - you don't shoot as well as some guys claim to shoot when we are posting on an anonymous Internet web site.

If all the accuracy/speed claims post on THR were accurate, the pros like Jerry Miculek would be out of business.

The pros aren't out of business. :) That tells me that something ain't quite right here. Maybe a bunch of the national champs are posting here without revealing their identities.

Mike
Mike

lonegunman
April 15, 2008, 07:33 PM
All it takes is practice. A lot of these guys are talking about scoped pistols, sandbags and benchs.

My last trip to the Nationals, I was in the top 75 overall, 6th in my class. My last trip to the Inter-Service I was in the top 25. I have got past a few Olympians and former Champions in individual matches. Winning the overall and being rock solid with every gun in every stage of a match is what sets some guys apart. I shoot fine, but quite a few people shoot better than me.

I watched Brian Zins win the Nationals after dropping about 15 points with two squibs. He didn't let that rattle him and pressed on. That impressed me, he didn't start whining or give up. I'm sure when he got to the trailer, somebody got reamed, but on the firing line it was all business.

A few years ago I was at a local 2700 match and went 200-14x in the centerfire timed fire match. As we walked back to the firing line, I joked it would probably make third place. That is a smoking score and tough to beat most days. But that weekend our little match had two former national champs and an Olympian among the 12 guys on the line. It was for three dollar prizes and nobody was giving up.

Jerry Miculek is only a couple of thou faster than a ton of guys. One gun hiccup, one misstep, one bad shot and there are plenty of other shooters at most matches who can catch him. Somewhere out there is a guy training for the day he meets you.

Jerry has good marketing and a sponsor. That is as helpful as talent in this game. Most people cannot afford the ammo or time on the range it takes to be great.

That being said, go practice and enjoy shooting. Don't worry about what people say they can do. Go to a match of any kind and give it a try, you can pick up a ton of tips and experience for the price of entry fees and ammo.

Japle
April 15, 2008, 07:50 PM

Practice is fine, but you really need instruction. See if you can find an NRA certified pistol instructor. Failing that, a Master-class USPSA, IDPA, etc shooter who's willing to help you out would be great.
Remember, you're buying the lunch and the beers!!

I strongly recommend you buy a good quality air pistol. The main reason is the fact that the gun makes almost no sound, has zero recoil and you can shoot it at home safely.

In order to become a good shot, you have to learn trigger control, follow-through and how to call your shots. These are vital skills. If you want to be able to shoot up to the potential of your gun and ammo, you have to put in the time and effort needed to aquire them.

What you need to see in order to learn those skills is usually lost in the noise and gun movement of a centerfire pistol. A .22 is much better, but an air pistol makes it enormously easier. Pellets are so cheap they might as well be free. You don’t have to go to the range to get in a little trigger time. You can make a backstop out of a cardboard box and some newspapers.

The Daisy 717 is a good example of what I’m talking about.

http://www.airgunsbbguns.com/Daisy_717_Powerline_Single_Pump_Competition_p/day717.htm

The 717 is very accurate (3/4" groups at 25 ft) and doesn’t require Co2 cartridges. I’ve had mine since the late ‘70s and have worn out several sets of seals with untold tens of thousands of shots. Daisy will rebuild one of these guns for around $20. About 15 years ago, they replaced the whole gun. I’d shot it until it wouldn’t stay cocked anymore. As I recall, they charged me $18 and paid for return shipping.

Outstanding customer support.

Kurt S.
April 15, 2008, 10:10 PM
Never shot a 30 yd target.
With my shaky old hands & bad eyes, I can put 6/6 in the black from a rest on a slowfire target at 25 yds with my S&W M14 and good 148 grain WCs.
At 50 yards with my CZ-52 I can hit somewhere in the rings offhand.

Claymore1500
April 16, 2008, 08:47 PM
I'm new here, But here goes.
25 Yd. indoor range, 2 hands, 6 out of 6 in a bussiness card.
Done with a ruger 357 blackhawk, 6.5 in. bbl.

If you enjoyed reading about "What size target can you reliably hit at 30 yards?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!