Bersa high capacity

PDA

Georgia Gunner
April 13, 2008, 05:32 PM
Here lately I have been considering adding a bersa thunder high capacity to my collecton. Now I have heard good things about the other bersa pistols ,but not that much on this one. Any one had any experience with it? Also does anyone know who makes a holster for it?Thanks in advance!

If you enjoyed reading about "Bersa high capacity" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Samuel Adams
April 13, 2008, 07:41 PM
You won't hear me say anything nice about Bersa. I had to opportunity to rent one at the range last week and it was a piece of garbage. The hammer failed to fall the first three times I pulled the trigger. It then fired without my finger on the trigger. In addition, the slide release was so sensitive that it activated when I layed the weapon down.

Get a CZ82/83.

thunder173
April 13, 2008, 08:42 PM
In response to Samual Adams,...thats pretty odd,...I have three,...actually SGS Firestorm versions,....but same gun,...not a problem with any of them...me thinks your range rental must have been pretty whipped out.

Kindrox
April 13, 2008, 09:21 PM
I have experiance with different two Bersa Thunder Plus. Both are execellent and a good value for the money. The only drawback to them that I see is that they only come with one mag and extras cost $40.

Sam clearly has an axe to grind.

slow944
April 13, 2008, 09:35 PM
I put 6,000rds shooting IDPA with one and still don't know why I let my buddy talk me out of it:confused: Not one failure in all those rounds down range. Great guns I may have to buy another. Don't tell the wife.

Samuel Adams
April 13, 2008, 09:42 PM
...me thinks your range rental must have been pretty whipped out.
Methinks you may be right but as much time as I spend at that range, I rarely see it out of the case and the range is only a year old.

mr.trooper
April 14, 2008, 12:42 PM
Methinks you may be right but as much time as I spend at that range, I rarely see it out of the case and the range is only a year old.

The fact that the range has only been open for a year has no bearing on how old the Bersa may be. Those guns have been around for a long time.

tekarra
April 14, 2008, 08:44 PM
I have been shooting a Thunder 9 for about six years. Never kept track of the rounds put through it, but it has been a lot. Never had a problem.

Georgia Gunner, check out www.bersatalk.com for more on Bersa pistols and accessories.

ir3e971
April 14, 2008, 09:12 PM
I have one. It is a good pistol. It initially had some failure to fully chamber a round. I touched up a sharp edge on the extractor with a small file, and it has never jammed since.

I have been very pleased with it, and consider it a good value for the money.

highfive
April 14, 2008, 10:59 PM
I have one and haven't had a problem yet... I like it and my wife loves it. and kindrox hey man I don't know where you get your mags but I bought mine for 19 bucks :D

MICHAEL T
April 16, 2008, 06:06 PM
Its so simple We have you answers here
http://bersatalk.com
Over 2700 members and growing 99.8% happy owners and a few grumps.
Holsters mags tec talk and freebees

modifiedbrowning
April 16, 2008, 08:58 PM
I love my Thunder 9 Hi Cap. 5k through it with no problems (1K of those with no cleaning or lube to test reliability). A great pistol that is nicely priced and very underrated.
The trigger on my Thunder 9 has smoothed out very nicely, I would say that it is the best trigger of all my DA/SA autos (better than my P88 which it is a copy of).
As far as holsters check out www.ubg.com he may make one. If not a holster made for the Walther P88 should work fine.

MICHAEL T
April 17, 2008, 12:24 PM
Its http://ubgholsters.com Bresa are what got him started in makeing holsters He is a Bersa owner and member of Bersa Talk.
I have a few of his great holsters

thunder173
April 17, 2008, 04:04 PM
My Firestorm Mini .45 rides in a belt slide open muzzle thumb break rig from Galco,...made for ....gasp,...a Glock 19.... it rides nice and secure. My .380 and .22LR both ride in a rig made for (gee,...guess what?),...a Walther PPK.

loosehorse
April 17, 2008, 06:53 PM
I have two and like them both. My 380 has close to 2k rounds through it. I had some fail to eject during the first 100 rounds or so but after that not even a hickup. My 9mm has been perfect right out of the box. It has slightly over 1k through it.
I would get a 45 if they made a full size.

modifiedbrowning
April 17, 2008, 09:35 PM
Michael T, thanks for the correction. I am a member at Bersatalk.

saturno_v
April 21, 2008, 12:31 AM
I could not be more happy of my Bersa Thunder 40. It is identical to the Thunder 9 high capacity but chambered in 40 S&W.
Bought for $320 + tax brand new.
Never failed or jammed with several different type of ammo, very accurate and ergonomic, nice looking, the easiest field stripping I ever seen in an autoloader.
Incredible value for the money considering that it has all the features of custom combat pistols costing MUCH more such as: ambidx safety, decocker, external hammer, DA/SA operation, reversible (DX/SX) magazine release button, accessory groove and a great trigger to top it off.
Despite having a 4.3 inches barrel and 13 + 1 mag capacity (it is a full size pistol) the gun feel so compact and light in my relatively small hand.
I did let it try to my "gun snob" friend at the range (He is a SIG lover...) and I had to fight hard to get it back...:D:D:D

Let's not forget that this pistol has a "military pedigree", it is the standard side firearm of the Argentinian Armed Forces, Argentina Federal Police and several other police forces. Reliability is in its genes :D:D:D

Instead I traded my Witness 10 mm auto last week for a gorgeaous 8 3/8 inch barrel, nickel finished S&W mod 29 44 Mag revolver.
I had frequent jamming problem and occasional slide open failure on last round despite changing mag spring, recoil spring and adjusting the magazine lips. I did not want to start a back and forth shipping game with EAA Customer Service at my expenses so I got rid of it.

But my Thunder 40 remains my trusty everyday carry and night stand sentinel (Winchester 180 gr. JHP)...

Here is she...

http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/9/bersathunder7cs6.th.jpg (http://img530.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bersathunder7cs6.jpg)

http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/9830/bersathunder2oh4.th.jpg (http://img530.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bersathunder2oh4.jpg)

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/4586/bersathunder6fs2.th.jpg (http://img148.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bersathunder6fs2.jpg)

LT1coupe
April 21, 2008, 12:51 AM
We had two Thunder nines & they were flawless. We both CCW & being too big for that they became safe queens so they were recently traded off.
My wife still has a Bersa .380 that is her favorite gun to shoot. My youngest son owns the Mini Thunder nine & it's a nice compact 9mm.
I have nothing but positive things to say about the 3 we've owned.
If they make a Compact 9mm with rounded corners & a bobbed trigger like the 380 CCW, my wife will likely buy one.

jd46561
April 21, 2008, 10:58 AM
I have a Bersa .380...LOVE IT!!! Np what so ever. Id purchase another in a second. :)

lowtech1
April 21, 2008, 11:07 AM
I'm with just about everyone aside from Sam.

No complaints with mine at all.

transformerguru
April 21, 2008, 11:11 AM
I have had a Thunder .380 for almost 8 years and still love it. If I could change anything on it, it would be the trigger pull. I also had a Thunder 40 I really liked it but I had to trade it to afford to by my 1903 Springfield. I do miss it, and I might buy another at some time.

Darth AkSarBen
July 13, 2008, 06:09 AM
I've got the Bersa Thunder .380 and love it. I'd like to get either the 9mm hi capacity or the .45 mini. Either one. Only money is my hang up on these fine guns.
I've done pistol smithing in the past, and I have seen "home" jobs come in that the owners must have tried doing something to the trigger sears, hammers, or other and they were a mess. A range gun could have been one that had been "fiddled" with to the point of unreliability.

DougW
July 13, 2008, 03:40 PM
2 Thunder 380's for over 8 years. Carry them everywhere. Totally reliable and accurate.

Range guns tend to get abused and not cleaned. My favorite range does not clean any rentals until they stop working.

If you enjoyed reading about "Bersa high capacity" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!