Helping a Englishman with questions?

PDA

April 13, 2008, 07:27 PM
I am a student with an interest in firearms who was directed here from a forum discussing a US miniatures game within which the topic of firearms came up on the off topic board. I have an interestin in shooting and have some questions if it is possible that thhe community of the highroad could answer them.

II have limited experience with frearm, I have sghot air rifles and enjoy it and am a reasonable shot, I have fired a shotgun once and enjoy plinking (is that the term?) with airsoft guns at targets.

I am resident in a country where airsoft is licensed and if I am carrying my modelling tools through the city from hobby area to hore can be arrested on a weapons charge if found in possesion of a modelling scalpel outside a locked steel box. :banghead::cuss: So attitudes in this green and Pleasant land I disagree with.

I am 18 and here are my questions.

1. is it legal for me to rent a firearm to use at a range?

2. is it legal for me to be at a range?

3. is it possible to obtain a ccw or chp when in the USA for a year?

4. could I get instruction from a training scheme on shooting?

5. is it possible to go through a training scheme with hired frearms?

6. are there any rules and reguations to follow as a disabled shooter?

I wish to learn to shoot handguns revolvers rifles scoped rifles shotguns as I feel it would be enjoyable nd a usefll skill and part of me wants to emulate my father who served in the R.A.F and qualified as a marksman (If I recall correctly that consisted of long range shooting a standard issue SLR and gaining a 1 inch spread at 1000 yards with ten rounds but I could be wrong. he does not talk much about that. but though doesnt particularly desire firearms support my desire to learn to shoot.) in the only way I can due to the disablity rendering my not eligable for military service.

And of course I would like to fire a full auto weapon once.

If it helps I am a cinncinati bengals fan, quite enjoy bourbon have an unhealthy desire to own a muscle car and enjoy rock and roll. :cool:

After university I hope to travel all over the US for a year and then mabe apply to live there. I will make to

Thank you for your time everybhe trip over to the jungle before then though. And am am currently in a long distance relationship with a girl from georgia I eagerly await your responses. Thank you for your time.

With the greatest respect. 42

If you enjoyed reading about "Helping a Englishman with questions?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TAB
April 13, 2008, 07:32 PM
1 yes
2 yes
3 I doubt it.
4 depends on who is doing the training... some are very restrictive, most are not
5 depends on who is doing the training
6 nope safety rules apply to every one equal.

xjchief
April 13, 2008, 07:34 PM
I have a question of my own... Wouldn't it be unhealthy to NOT have a desire to own a muscle car? ;)

Welcome and I hope someone can answer your questions.

TAB
April 13, 2008, 07:35 PM
Wouldn't it be unhealthy to NOT have a desire to own a muscle car?

depends on who is buying the gas...

April 13, 2008, 07:37 PM
thanks guys for not snapping at me. Ands probably but I would get stoned by the ecomentalists If I drove a muscle car. Theere is a bill to ban 4x4s (suvs) in the citys and we pay for the privelee of driving in our capitol city. (well I don't. biker)

Thank you and I have been offered people to shoot with on the other forum so I will have to take them up on that I think :cool:

rocinante
April 13, 2008, 07:37 PM
If I recall correctly that consisted of long range shooting a standard issue SLR and gaining a 1 inch spread at 1000 yards with ten rounds but I could be wrong.

Doing that could you get qualified as GOD not just marksman.

Like your attitude kid, come on over. If you do get to georgia (atlanta) drop me a line and I will take you shooting.

April 13, 2008, 07:56 PM
If you want I will ask my dad precisely what range he shot at and I do know when base was on alert He sat in a tree with a scoped SLR :what: and could basically snipe with it. And thank you it could be a while though.

FieroCDSP
April 13, 2008, 07:57 PM
"Tricky..."

First, Welcome to THR, the best darn firearms site on the web.

This one is tricky only because you're 18. Most states have a mandated age of 21 to buy/possess a handgun. However, a range owns the rental gun, so they may decide to rent it to you. Most ranges have their specific rules posted, but you don't know until you get there. The best idea is to go with someone who is 21 and owns their own handgun. If they're there shooting their own, and rent one also, who's going to care if you're the one shooting the rental. They might rent you a carbine, rifle, or shotgun as those can be sold or rented to 18 and up. I've also never known a gun-shop/range to pass up on legit cash just because someone is 18 instead of 21.

Absolutely.

Not sure on the specifics, but I think you have to be a legal citizen. Vermont and Alaska might not worry about it, so long as you can legally buy and possess the gun. Every other state has varying laws ranging from outright ban, state control, local control, to Vermont.

There are courses for every type of firearms usage. You can easily find an NRA certified instructor near to where you reside in the states. Many will have a gun they can loan you for the basic classes. Advance courses will almost always require you to have your own.

This depends on the disability. Being certified insane would be something that might concern most people. If it's a physical disability, there's really no reason you couldn't shoot. We had one guy shooting USPSA in our local match who was minus a leg. If you have the heart to do so, there's not much that can keep you from it. If you're in a wheel-chair you might want to inquire as to a range's access, but under federal laws, most places have to have wheel-chair access. Without knowing the actual disability, it's difficult to say.

Full-autos are a bit harder to come by, I'm afraid. You almost have to know someone to even set eyes on them, let alone a range to fire them on. Out west is probably a better chance of finding a place that deals in renting one. Take a lot of cash. You'll need it to buy the ammo.

I hope this bit of info helps, and I wish you the best in your efforts to join us here in the land of the free, home of the brave, and umpteen million privately owned guns.:D

April 13, 2008, 08:04 PM
Cerebral Palsy I walk with a cane and/or crutches.

I understand about the full auto but it would just be one magazine (is that the right word) and thank you I read jobrelatedstuff.com because it was funny once!!!! and I like olegs posters.

To be honest I will go properly after uni so will be 21 but want to go for a week or two in the next year or 2.

oneshooter
April 13, 2008, 08:15 PM
If you ever make to Texas look me up. I will get you a place on a team that will shoot everything from Highpower to CASS to BPCR!! We also have some great places to visit, namely the USS Texas and the San Jacinto battleground to the Alamo and the San Antonio missions!
I know of two gun ranges that rent full auto, and a friend of mine has his own tank.
Oneshooter
Livin in Texas

Vern Humphrey
April 13, 2008, 08:20 PM
Yes.

Yes
You have to be 21 and a resident of the United States.

Florida non-resident licenses are popular. Here are the requirements:
(2) The Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services shall issue a license if the applicant:

(a) Is a resident of the United States or is a consular security official of a foreign government that maintains diplomatic relations and treaties of commerce, friendship, and navigation with the United States and is certified as such by the foreign government and by the appropriate embassy in this country;

(b) Is 21 years of age or older;

(c) Does not suffer from a physical infirmity which prevents the safe handling of a weapon or firearm;

(d) Is not ineligible to possess a firearm pursuant to s. 790.23 by virtue of having been convicted of a felony;

(e) Has not been committed for the abuse of a controlled substance or been found guilty of a crime under the provisions of chapter 893 or similar laws of any other state relating to controlled substances within a 3-year period immediately preceding the date on which the application is submitted;

(f) Does not chronically and habitually use alcoholic beverages or other substances to the extent that his or her normal faculties are impaired. It shall be presumed that an applicant chronically and habitually uses alcoholic beverages or other substances to the extent that his or her normal faculties are impaired if the applicant has been committed under chapter 397 or under the provisions of former chapter 396 or has been convicted under s. 790.151 or has been deemed a habitual offender under s. 856.011(3), or has had two or more convictions under s. 316.193 or similar laws of any other state, within the 3-year period immediately preceding the date on which the application is submitted;

(g) Desires a legal means to carry a concealed weapon or firearm for lawful self-defense;

(h) Demonstrates competence with a firearm by any one of the following:

1. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state;

2. Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;

3. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;

4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;

5. Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;

6. Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or a county or municipality of this state, unless such license has been revoked for cause; or

7. Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association certified firearms instructor;

Yes
Yes
The rules are the same for everyone, although you might find yourself with some extra coaching until they are sure of your ability to handle firearms safely.

retgarr
April 13, 2008, 08:21 PM
42 eh? So are you searching for an answer or a question?

I'd recomend that you check out study abroad programs, student visas will give you a better chance of being able to shoot than just visiting.

In terms of your disability there are no regulations against you shooting. However you will want to go with an experienced shooter to help you out. Since you have shot air rifles and a shotgun I am guessing your disability is not so much a hindrance as to prevent you from using firearms.So when you know when you'll be here, find someone on the board near where you'll be and I'm sure you can get some range time in.

April 13, 2008, 08:32 PM
both and thank you everyone and for those interested the cadet qualification on the new sa80 is:

RAF Marksman- This is much harder and is taken using the more powerful L-98 rifle. You must complete three sections:
1.) You must fire 20 rounds into the target, all bullets must hit the target, there is not time limit.
2.) You must fire 10 rounds of snap fire, the targets are not visible for the entire time, but appear five times for 8 seconds at irregular intervals (at a range of 25 meters). All bullets fired must hit the target.
3.) You fire five rounds into a target from 25 meters, all of which must hit an area of 2" inch diameter.

If you qualify for the RAF Marksman, you will be awarded this badge to wear on your uniform.

Cadet 100 - This is an accuracy award, and can be fired from up to 300m. If you gain this award, then you are officially one of the best 100 shots in the Air Training Corps!

soimagine that for an adult not a 12-17 year old. I will get exact info soon. Thanks for all your help and advice.

raytracer
April 13, 2008, 08:34 PM
42, Welcome to the High Road!

If you end up in the Kansas City area, I can guarantee you'll get to do everything on your list except the Concealed Weapons Permit. Range time, training, full auto, the whole ball of wax. Plus real barbecue!

The hard part will be getting you back on the plane to go home! Of course, you're welcome to stay too.

Joe

April 13, 2008, 08:35 PM
cool so an english graduate wanting to teach would be accepted?

Jim Watson
April 13, 2008, 08:44 PM
Traveling on your own at age 18, you would be limited as to what shooting you could do.
Hang on til 21 and things will be much simpler.
If your girl in Georgia is still interested, there is a rental range in Athens, Georgia that has full auto weapons as well as the usual handguns.
http://www.firinglane.com/machinegunrentals.html

Stay here as long as possible.
I have read that the usual time for a Japanese shooting tourist to make the transition from Airsoft to firearm and then to enter a major match is six weeks.

rero360
April 13, 2008, 08:46 PM
absolutely, while there may be varying opinions on illegal aliens in the country I'm sure just about everyone here openly welcomes legal immigrants looking to become American citizens, especially gunnies, the more the merrier.

April 13, 2008, 08:52 PM
fantastic and becoming? or do i have to posses to be a gunnie? and cool I want to leave the land of the rain and chav so USA USA lol and I mightb try for a semester in the usa at uni.

Frans4045
April 13, 2008, 09:00 PM

I am sort of dealing with this question. I'm a Dutch citizen and live in Eugene Oregon.
Rule here is that you can have a CCW after you do a class in gun handling.
In my case I have to show a letter that serves as prove that I am requesting US Citizen ship.

The question here is, what if the non-US citizen does not follow through with the application for US Citizen ship, but the local sherrif has legally issued a CCW permit.

I mean, it can happen. The applicant gets second thoughts, does not want to lose citizen ship of his mother land for whatever reason.
The permit has been issued based on a real legit letter.
What's more, the permit will be extended after 4 years and I don't know that the permit holder needs to prove that he/she is a US citizen at that moment.

(I have not gone that road, I have NO CCW permit)

Frans

WIFF
April 13, 2008, 09:19 PM
I am English, but a permanent resident and had no trouble getting my c.c.w permit. Good old Indiana....

brigadier
April 13, 2008, 09:25 PM
Move to a Class 3 state and you can shoot full auto's all you want. Just about all of the class 3 states are "right to carry" states which means that if you move to the US and get your citizenship (you'll be 21 by then) you can get a concealed weapon permit. Stay in the UK and you are more likely to get shot at then do any shooting unless you want to go through hell becoming a member of a gun club.

April 13, 2008, 09:30 PM
yweh thats true a mate of mine got offered an ak for £60 down a pub guns are easy apparantly legal guns are not. I am scared sometimes when walking trough some areas weapons in the hands of bad guys is worrying. I believe weapons control doesn't work because oriminals dont obey the lw.

LKB3rd
April 13, 2008, 09:32 PM
I have seen Irishmen who were here for a visit at my local indoor range, renting handguns. The range owner said they came every few days the whole time they were here. They required an "official" ID of some sort, I am sure a passport would qualify. They also require you to sign a form stating that you are not a felon, have no restraining orders against you, have never been declared "mentally defective" by a judge, etc.. basically all the things that would disqualify you if you were a US citizen from purchasing a gun.
There is also a box that says "do you need instruction on how to safely handle a firearm?" and if you check yes(or even better just tell them what experience you have, if any , and ask if they will give you a run down on how to operate the gun or whatever questions you have), they will show you how to operate the gun you rent, and give you basic safe handling procedures. As far as more in depth training, I'd ask the people at the range about that when you get here. See if they know someone who works at their range doing training.
Good luck

April 13, 2008, 09:33 PM
yweh thats true a mate of mine got offered an ak for £60 down a pub guns are easy apparantly legal guns are not. I am scared sometimes when walking trough some areas weapons in the hands of bad guys is worrying. I believe weapons control doesn't work because criminals dont obey the law.

protolith
April 13, 2008, 09:56 PM
Most of your questions have been answered, as for machine gun rentals, if you make it out to Las Vegas, we have a really nice indoor range with machine gun rentals.

I was there once and some guys with thick English accents had the MP5 in the range, it broke, they had to finish their ammo with an UZI. :D I understand this range is popular with tourists, as are a couple others here in town.

http://www.discountfirearmsinc.com/Rentals.htm
Machine Gun Rental Fee:
$25 per 30 round magazine. (Includes Range fee, Target, Eye and Ear Protection)
Current inventory of Machine Guns includes:
M-16, USA .223Rem - 5.56x45mm (Nato)
Thompson, USA .45ACP
MP-5, German 9mm
AK-47, Russian 7.62x39mm
Uzi, Israeli 9mm
M-2 Carbine, USA .30cal
Sten, British 9mm

April 13, 2008, 10:01 PM
cooll so many choices hmm I wonder which would I rent. Sod it which would I rent 1st.

Travis McGee
April 13, 2008, 10:32 PM
Geez 42, you're already an American! You just live on the other side of the pond.

April 13, 2008, 10:38 PM
rubih though with our population and you electoral systym UK as the 51st state would decide your election.

And not american till I can have my revolver.

JCMAG
April 13, 2008, 10:51 PM
42, we'd be proud to have you!

Coming Stateside as a student would work out quite well. As soon as you are a citizen, obtaining firearms won't be a matter of legal limitations, but by how much money you can spend :D

Before you become a citizen, renting from a range would be your best course for handguns and machineguns.

Unless, of course, you make friends with an armed citizen who will take you to a range with him to shoot his guns, which shouldn't be too hard; we compose a good 1/3 of the population -- so have your pick of 100,000,000 armed and sociable Americans. :D

April 13, 2008, 10:56 PM
I like those odds. and why you say that jc? :o

Sato Ord
April 13, 2008, 10:57 PM
I can only speak about the law in Florida, and even then, it's always best to check with local ranges and shops. Laws change in this country, sometimes every time something drastic happens. Florida has been pretty quiet lately, but that is subject to change as much as the weather.

Yes, however that only applies to those 21 years of age as regards pistols. Rifles and shotguns are legal at 18. The draw back is that most ranges I am aware of that rent guns are indoor ranges that only allow pistols, though I'm sure that some rifle ranges that rent do exist.

Yes, most ranges require that anyone under 18 be accompanied by an adult. It is not unusual at many U.S. ranges to see children as young as seven or eight, though most ranges do specifically set the age at ten or twelve.

If you are a resident of the Florida, a citizen, or legal alien, you can obtain a concealed carry permit, provided you are 21. Sorry, you'll have to wait a couple of years to legally carry a pistol.

The short answer, yes. There are many places that teach marksmanship and firearms safety, though hopefully in the reverse order of that;) Check with the local gun shops and ranges in your area.

That will depend on the range and instructor. but often classes do not require you to own your own firearm. Again, check the locals and see what is going on in your area.

That is going to depend on your limitations. I'm assuming, and this could get me into trouble, that the Palsy you have doesn't interfere seriously with you holding and aiming the weapon. If you tend to be a little shaky you can still shoot, but you might find it more fun if you stick with a rifle and use sand bags on a bench to steady your aim. Since many shooters with no physical limitations do this it shouldn't be a problem. If your hands are fairly steady (not spastic), you should have no problem holding and aiming a pistol. Even a pistol can be fired by steadying the weapon on sandbags. If you do have some problems you just need to find the right instructor who is willing to spend a little extra time with you on this. I'm sure you can find a way to work it out. Many handicapped persons in this country are able to enjoy this hobby.

I wish to learn to shoot handguns revolvers rifles scoped rifles shotguns as I feel it would be enjoyable nd a usefll skill and part of me wants to emulate my father who served in the R.A.F and qualified as a marksman (If I recall correctly that consisted of long range shooting a standard issue SLR and gaining a 1 inch spread at 1000 yards with ten rounds but I could be wrong. he does not talk much about that. but though doesnt particularly desire firearms support my desire to learn to shoot.) in the only way I can due to the disablity rendering my not eligable for military service.

I don't see a big problem here. You walk with crutches, so, and again I am assuming, you have enough grip strength to handle the kick of a 9mm, or .38, and possibly even bigger, pistols. Find a good instructor and give it your best shot (pun intended). The same goes for rifles and shotguns.

And of course I would like to fire a full auto weapon once.

That is more difficult, but it can be worked out. There are people, and some ranges, where this is possible, they are just harder to find. You can legally obtain a permit to own and fire full auto weapons, but both the permits, and the weapons are much more expensive. However, don't get discouraged, I know they are out there. I know people who own and fire actual artillery pieces, as well as machine guns of all shapes and sizes.

If it helps I am a cinncinati bengals fan, quite enjoy bourbon have an unhealthy desire to own a muscle car and enjoy rock and roll.

I think someone else already said it, but I'll say it again, there's nothing wrong with wanting to own a muscle car. In fact, I've got a friend who has a couple of vintage Fords for sale, including a 69 Mach 1 with a brand new front end.

After university I hope to travel all over the US for a year and then mabe apply to live there. I will make to

Welcome to America, On my mother's side, I'm second generation. My grandmother's father was from Liverpool, and her mother was an Irish Catholic girl. My grandmother was born in Ireland, and my mother was born in this country.

On my father's side we have been in this country for centuries.

Thank you for your time everybhe trip over to the jungle before then though. And am am currently in a long distance relationship with a girl from georgia I eagerly await your responses. Thank you for your time.

With the greatest respect. 42

No problem, you'll find that many of us in this country who own guns and shoot regularly are proud of our hobby and enjoy sharing. I'd be willing to bet that once you are here you'll be able to find plenty of people who collect and fire guns who will be more than happy to have you accompany them to the range. I know I love to show off my guns, and few things give me more pleasure when it comes to guns than taking my friends to the range with me and watching them enjoy firing my firearms. I'm sure, that once you get to know some gun people, you will find yourself invited to the range on a regular basis, especially if you are sharing the cost of the ammo.;)

If you get down around Melbourne, Florida let me know and you can go to the range with me and my friends. I'll bring my WWII P38 Walther, as well as anything else I have to take along. Maybe we can persuade my friend to bring his .50 mag Desert Eagle, and his Casull 454.:D

April 13, 2008, 11:11 PM
Cool thanks everyone and technically my hands are spasic because cerebral palsy used to be called spastisity so I am a spazz :what::barf:

but yeh Grips not a problem and between all the invites here and the pp forums I can probably find a shooting buddy in 10 states so far.

doc2rn
April 13, 2008, 11:12 PM
Come across the pond and we will be happy to immerse you in our gun culture. Too bad about what happened over there, but hey you elected them. You can always vote them out.

April 13, 2008, 11:19 PM
I didnt am working on it tho

JCMAG
April 13, 2008, 11:19 PM
My hands shake quite a bit too, from bad nerves. It will effect your accuracy, but from the bench you should be alright, as mentioned before.

I don't doubt that after even a few days of living Stateside, you could find ample individuals to let you try some of their guns. Best place to look might be a medium sized American city. Hell, I attend university in a very small city (~6,000) and we have a machinegun shop with an indoor range and rentals. Big cities might not be a good choice due to a markedly different culture and attitude toward firearms.

Start applying to universities and hopefully you'll meet up with one of the brothers and sisters at THR in no time :cool:

Oleg Volk
April 13, 2008, 11:25 PM
Welcome to the US. Hopefully, the warm welcome you get here will make up for the probable attitude of the INS.

Hoppy590
April 13, 2008, 11:28 PM
if you make it to Massachusetts i cant take ya to the range if need be.

April 13, 2008, 11:31 PM
INS and thanks every one iI am planning to try and fund a semester on th exchange scheme in my 2nd year I feel it would be appropriate.

Beatnik
April 13, 2008, 11:33 PM
Here in Virginia, there's one range I've been to which DIDN'T have a full auto rental. Granted, this is the South, but it ain't that far south.

neviander
April 13, 2008, 11:37 PM
Wow, a license for an air gun. I see you are an Englishman. Do you write concerning England's laws? What you are allowed to do with what kind of firearm really depends on which state you are in. I'm not familiar with Georgia's firearm laws.

Most states are only really strict on handguns, especially if you want to carry concealed...California would like to be just like England, if you get my drift:barf:

Your disability should not be a problem anywhere, they let blind people shoot.

I am a cinncinati bengals fan, quite enjoy bourbon have an unhealthy desire to own a muscle car and enjoy rock and roll.
WOOT!
Sir, it sounds as if you have the makings of a wonderful American, but I must say, concerning your own personal opinion, don't be bashful, it's practically every Americans duty to let their thoughts be known and not be ashamed about it; not necessarily proud, just not ashamed. As long as it doesn't harm anyone, infringe upon someone else's liberty and your not stifling speech, to coin a phrase, "let it all hang out".
We love LEGAL immigrants, especially ones that aren't interested morphing our culture....the whole Mexican thing is another story.

If you do find a range with full autos, look into the glock 18. I've seen it, but have never fired anything full auto, just curious.

Blackbeard
April 14, 2008, 10:14 AM
I think the legality of owning firearms depends on your visa status. I don't think a tourist visa would cut it. Student visa maybe. Permanent resident alien (green card) definitely. Assuming you get here legally with all the necessary paperwork, I'm sure there's a member in every state in the union that would love to take you shooting.

woodybrighton
April 14, 2008, 11:05 AM
air soft rules are odd you need proof your an active air softer to buy air soft guns.
deac pistols are legal
as are realistic looking co2 firing pellet pistols
if you want a bright yellow or lime green airsoft gun your good to go:D

olegs frankly hideous pink M4s if they made an airsoft version of would be an interesting legal case as they would be a realistic imitation firearm so naughty and illegal.
but in a weird color scheme so could be legal make my head hurt:banghead:

AlaskaErik
April 14, 2008, 03:57 PM
I believe weapons control doesn't work because criminals dont obey the law.

Something too many numbskull politicians on both sides of the big pond can't seem to get through their egotistical fat heads.

hopkin
April 14, 2008, 05:48 PM
I wish to learn to shoot handguns revolvers rifles scoped rifles shotguns

Don't forget you can do the scoped rifle/shotgun things here if you get a licence. Practical Shotgun is lots of fun but could be hard physically. Rifle target shooting, from .22LR to .50bmg, is legal. It's cost and having somwhwere safe to shoot that's limiting.

Ever thought of black powder revolvers? that's fairly popular, although none of my local (indoor) ranges allow it as it's too messy.

Brenainn
April 14, 2008, 06:03 PM
Wow, as bad as I think it can be sometimes, I am so thankful to live in the United States!

Good luck with everything 42, you will find we are pretty open and friendly when it comes to new shooters - especially eager learners!

matt87
April 14, 2008, 06:28 PM
Mate,
you don't have to go half way across the world to the Land of the Free to shoot guns ya know... :D just we have many assinine laws that make it... a little inconvenient (Oh and forget certain things, like cartridge handguns, semiauto rifles other than .22RF and anything full auto).

What uni you at? Many have rifle clubs. The annual BUSA (British Universities Sports Association) shoulder-to-shoulder rifle match is in a couple weeks. Damned hope I can get that weekend off work...

Oh and PS I think that range is a little off... 1" at 1000 yards is 0.1 MOA, and if your dad could make an SLR do that while sitting a tree I'd certainly like to shake his hand :D

PPS one of the things I love about shooting is that almost anyone can physically compete against one another with a level playing field; sex, strength and physical 'disabilities' have little or nothing to do with it. (My girlfriend shoots with me. Just 5' 1-1/2" tall and looks a lot younger than she is, but in less than a year I think she'll be shooting rings round me... wish I hadn't taught her so well now ;))

April 14, 2008, 07:26 PM
yes I think the distance is wrong but the test is prone stood kneeling from sling and shoulder iron sights not tree even for some rounds in full nbc suit.

The tree was base defense on red alert.

Cool matt and its manchester met or york st johns airsoft rules are annoying to buy a gun I need to be registered as an airsofter to do this = three events and to go envents you need a weapon so How are you ment to shoot airsoft?

:evil::cuss::banghead:

hopkin
April 15, 2008, 03:03 PM
Cool matt and its manchester met or york st johns airsoft rules are annoying to buy a gun I need to be registered as an airsofter to do this = three events and to go envents you need a weapon so How are you ment to shoot airsoft?

If you go to MMU you'll have a couple of decent guns clubs within 5-10 miles, especially shotgun clubs. x There's a gunshop in town - Shudehill, where all the dirty book shops are - that could advise. x Stensby and son, I think. I think Salford Uni still has a rifle club, don't know if they take students from other places. Frankly you need a gun if you're visiting Salford.

You can rent a gun at some airsoft skirmish sites or maybe register beforehand so you can buy your own. I'm not sure if you have to rent & skirmish a few times before you can register. You can still buy tastefully coloured airsoft without being a skirmisher. A nice pink 1911 would be the envy of many an American. They love that sort of stuff.

Have you ever bought a copy of GunMart? I think that has a list of clubs, as well as lots of nice rifles/knives to drool over. WH Smiths usually has it if your local newsagent doesn't.

Calibre44
April 15, 2008, 03:35 PM
Heay 42

Don’t forget that you can own and shoot ‘Long Barrelled Revolvers’ (LBR) in Britain in .44 and .357 magnum so long as the gun isn’t under 60cm in length or with a barrel less than 30cm in length. All you need is a club suitable to shoot them at and a good reason for ownership to get your Firearms Certificate – typically, target practice and competition shooting is usually enough, There is also a Long Barrelled Pistol on the market in .22.

I have shot a LBR in 357 mag (holds 7 bullets) and it was very accurate and fun as well. Not nearly as much freedom as our friends from the USA I agree, but at least they are handguns of a sort.

If you really want to have some fun and also some serious shooting then try Black Powder revolvers - I have two and they are a joy to load, shoot and yes - even clean.

Tinker
April 15, 2008, 03:58 PM

All these good Highroaders are really helpfull with advice and offers for you to shoot when you come over after your 21st birthday, but they've all overlooked two variables.....

HILLIARY and OBAMA!

You might not want to wait until you're 21. At that time hopping the pond might not be worth the trouble. God fobid.

April 15, 2008, 05:38 PM
lol salfod needs ccw but remember MMU acomodation is in mossside where I would like an uzi as a ug since gangs carry full auto and Didnt know the lbr loophole was told target shooting handguns was banned.

and to register you need to have airsofted 3 times.

Jim Watson
April 15, 2008, 06:33 PM
Is your command of the English language typical of your generation there?

matt87
April 15, 2008, 07:07 PM
There are various ways to ignore the handgun ban. LBRs and LBPs, as mentioned. There are a few designs out now, and it seems we get 2 more each year. Alan Westlake (also the chairman of SAGBNI) makes 2; one a cut-down Browning Buckmark .22LR semi-auto rifle (£500), the other a long-barrelled Britarms pistol (.22LR semi) (£1000). There is a .22LR revolver in this month's (or is it last month's) Target Sports. Think it's a bit cheaper than most. Taurus has a line of LBRs, but they aren't cheap (£600), they are in a number of calibres. And Southern Gun Company does some single-shot long-range pistols in a variety of calibres but I don't remember the price. Oh, and there is the Uberti Buntline... a Colt SAA clone/reproduction with an enormously long barrel.

April 15, 2008, 07:15 PM
It is a lot of ash though when you consider my income will be 300 pounds a month and jim was that a compliment or a comment as my typing is poor when tired or in pain but usually I am reasonably fluent in my mother tongue as I am reasonably well educated and hoping for an english degree.

goblin357
April 16, 2008, 09:03 AM
42, if you can get there, the NRA have an open day soon at Bisley.
Have a look here to register

http://www.nra.org.uk/

You'll be able to try out every form of shooting we can still do in the UK.

Dain Bramage
April 16, 2008, 01:13 PM
42: Deep Thought says "hi".

John Ross
April 16, 2008, 02:53 PM
42, Maine will issue a non-resident CCW licence (I spelled it that way for you) at age 18. Good in 9 states including where I live, Missouri. Don't know about non-citizens, I think that's okay but might need to be a resident alien and not just on a visa.

Come visit me and I'll let you shoot all the full autos and other stuff you can afford.

JR

April 16, 2008, 06:13 PM
marvin cheats at chess.

thanks for the advice its like kindergarten you all want to share your toys.

If you enjoyed reading about "Helping a Englishman with questions?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!