Best Shot You've Made

PDA

Wopasaurus
April 13, 2008, 09:21 PM
This is inspired by the "What target size can you hit at 30 yards" thread.

What's the one shot you've made that was one in a million. The story that no one believes that wasn't there, and even the people there aren't too sure how it happened.

I've only been shooting for a couple years, so nailing a gopher at 100yds with my AK was probably my shining moment thus far.

I'm sure some of you have great stories... please share. Give us younger kids something to aspire to.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best Shot You've Made" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sans Authoritas
April 13, 2008, 09:25 PM
Please, no stories of shots on running deer/elk/antelope. It's against the rules of fair chase, unless you have honestly have the skill to pull off that shot every time.

-Sans Authoritas

Funderb
April 13, 2008, 09:29 PM
best shot, lemme think on that one and get back to you.

Oh, I got it.

My friend and I were shooting cans hung by their tabs by string. We were using .22lr to race and see who could shoot the cans first.
We had hit the cans at a tie for each shot, until the last one, I got sight picture as fast as possible and shot the tab off the can and it fell just before he got his shot off. (75yds)

His best shot was the, when we were much younger and stupid,
Me- Hey, I bet you can't hit that bird way up there with your bb gun
Him- Oh yeah. pow.
and after giving the bird a proper burial at sea, we did our best to never bet that we couldn't hit whatever was looking improbable that day. (pops was pissed)

Educated Hillbilly
April 13, 2008, 09:34 PM
45 yards stepped off after shot. With a .357 Magnum. Forgot what model, but was a 6" barreled Smith. Was out shooting with my father and we were in a bit of a competition. I told him I bet I could shoot that milkweed in two. One shot later the milkweed stalk was completed severed. Just looked at him and handed his revolver back. Could never pull that one off again.

Floppy_D
April 13, 2008, 09:34 PM
I was shooting at an old propane grill (no propane in it, just an old grill) and squarely hit one of few remaining bolts that was holding it together, offhand, from about 30 yds, with a Sig 229. It was neat because we paced away from it, I turned, drew, fired and the whole thing fell apart. You could see right where I punched the bolt through. I couldn't do it again.

StockKahr
April 13, 2008, 09:36 PM
It took me several tries, but once, several years ago, I put a .22LR bullet through a penny at 100 yards out, using a $100 Marlin Model 70 with a cheap 4-power scope. I still have that penny around here somewhere.

Zach S
April 13, 2008, 09:37 PM
Someone to the left of me was shooting something that threw brass into my line of fire - I shot one.

While I was standing there thinking "Did I just hit that case?" the guy popped around the divider and said "Holy **** man you just shot that case! That was a great shot!"

I thought about rolling with it, but 'fessed up and told him that was something I could only do by accident.

When I was about 12 a friend and I were shooting cans and bottles, while we were standing them back up he took a lid, set it on a fencepost, and said we should take turns trying to hit it before we ran out of ammo. I got it first shot, I tried to act like it wasnt blind luck but he was my best friend, and saw right through it.

We used the rest of the ammo trying to do it again.

ants
April 13, 2008, 09:49 PM
Please, no stories of shots on running deer/elk/antelope. It's against the rules of fair chase, unless you have honestly have the skill to pull off that shot every time.

-Sans Authoritas
This is the opposite of Sans Authoritas' request, because this was a bad shot, not a good one.

I once scared a herd of sleeping deer in the middle of the day, who scattered like they were shot out of a shotgun. I aimed about 12 inches ahead of the chest of the first buck and fired, but missed. I tried to aim at the same spot on the second smaller buck, but in the excitement of swinging the rifle to the second target I pulled the shot way off. It hit the first buck smack in the middle of the head and dropped him dead as a rock. My 3 friends witnessed the perfect head shot and thought I was the best deer hunter they ever knew, until I admitted it was actually a bad shot that missed its intended target.

MIL-DOT
April 13, 2008, 09:57 PM
Nothing amazing,really, but this is what came to mind : last month shooting with my brother, i put a couple rounds inside a quarter-sized circle on a paper plate from 100 yards....
with my Beeman R9 .20 pellet rifle. :D

Guitargod1985
April 13, 2008, 10:00 PM
Back when I was a Navy SeAL I made a 600 yard head shot with a pistol on a guy who was flying a MiG over me. ;)

M2 Carbine
April 13, 2008, 10:07 PM
I posted this over on
Handguns: General Discussion
Post Your Targets 7 - Save the Train!

Funny story.

A friend and I were sighting in his Father's 30-30. It only took us 6-8 rounds.
I said, I'll see how this 45 does at 100 yards (EAA Witness Compact, I later gave the gun to my friend)

I shot across a sand bag, then used the spotting scope.
I couldn't find the shot at first because I was looking around the edge of the 8.5x11 inch paper target.
Then I started laughing.

My friend said, No way, don't tell me you hit the target, No way.

I just kept laughing.

My friend looked through the scope and said, I just don't believe this.

The bullet had hit dead center in the X in the 10 ring.

When I stopped laughing he said, Are you going to shoot anymore?

I said, WHY!:D

ChopperKen
April 13, 2008, 10:09 PM
Last fall, Offhand shot at a doe scored a headshot on her at a measured 346 yards with my 77 mkII
6.5x55.
Last summer, Offhand shot a clay pigon at 100 yards w/a dan wesson
6" 357 mag
I have had many shots that amazed me, I didn't know my guns where that good!

357WheelGun
April 13, 2008, 10:12 PM
First time out shooting in 3 years after deciding that I wanted to get back into it. Most experience previously was with a .38 Special...

Target is just 10 yards away, my buddy hands me his .44 Magnum (in retrospect, probably _not_ the right gun to start out again with, but nothing bad came of it) and kind of jokingly asks if I think I can get one on paper with it after not shooting for so long. Up, aim, fire, dead-center on the bull.

I just sat the gun down because I knew I wasn't going to be able to do it again. :P

Vaarok
April 13, 2008, 10:17 PM
I once emptied a double barreled shotgun into a tree full of roosting starlings outside my calf barn, and got twenty-six of the little bastards with two Wal-Mart 2.75 7&1/2 shells.

mossberg
April 13, 2008, 10:19 PM
75 yards. .22lr. A Mossberg Plinkster actually. We were shooting at targets and one had a number on it that was one centimeter big. So I called the shot, took one and the number was no more.

jjbduke2004
April 13, 2008, 10:26 PM
On the skeet field I broke both birds on a double with one shot. It's not something I've been able to replicate, especially since I'm not very good at skeet.

SoCalShooter
April 13, 2008, 10:29 PM
I made a 422 yard shot across a canyon on a deer. This was after having disassembled my rifle then reassembled my rifle then cleaned and disassembled my rifle again. My friend stated that I was not going to be able to hit anything at all. But I killed a deer in 1 shot and it took him 9 to scare another away.

xring44
April 13, 2008, 10:30 PM
Two friends and I were at our local private range, one being the club president and the other being a local firearms store owner. We had a gong set at a measured 285 yards, the longest distance we could get on our property due to a almost vertical mountain that serves as our backstop. from our position at the bench a small pine (approximately 3/4" in diameter) had grown up directly in front of the gong. I mentioned the sapling and the club president said he had a hatchet and would climb up and cut the offending pine. I said, no, I'll shoot it off just below the gong. Long story short, one shot and the pine fell over, clipped off just at the base of the gong. It raised some eyebrows,,,especially mine:D

EODDoogie
April 13, 2008, 10:31 PM
FOB Summerall's heavy weapons range on my birthday in 05'. We had gone out to SMUD (standoff munitions disruption) dud AT-4's as a bit of preventative range maintainance. We were using M4's and GUU-5s, at some point I climbed up on top of the UA-HMMWV and started talkin' smack about how I was such a bad mamma- jamma with my M9. After a round of good natured ribbing from my team, I whipped my M9 out and tagged a AT-4 at about 30 yards for a full up detonation with the first shot. Annnnnd in the process pulled a John Kerry and fragged myself, destroying the camera in my cargo pocket. :cuss: Yup pretty stupid of me.

Flash!
April 13, 2008, 10:48 PM
This one time, back at band camp...... :)

Aaryq
April 13, 2008, 10:50 PM
Top 2 that come to mind

Marlin Model 99 with some el cheapo scope older than me. 50 (ish) yards. I put a steel washer (maybe 3/8" surface area) on a fence post. Me and my buddy were supposed to take shot for shot until one of us hit it. It wasn't a fun game because I hit it on the first shot.

Manufacturer unknown, but some old Sears and Roebuck .22lr single shot. 25 yards. Same style competition but it was at an indoor range with a bad-guy with a revolver drawn target. We were shooting to see who could shoot down the barrel of the revolver first. 3rd shot and I got it!

bensdad
April 13, 2008, 10:56 PM
I was shooting last spring with a couple of guys I had never shot with. We spent a few hours shooting this and that. I brought some handguns and a shotgun. One of them brought a .50bmg. Both of them brought BP guns and shotguns. We plinked and shot a few rounds of clays. I was significantly better than either of them at both handgun and clays. They were in their 20s. Quiet a bit younger than I am.

Anyway, Toward the end of the afternoon, one of them hands me his BP. I could tell they just wanted to see me make a bad shot. I said I didn't really have any experience with BP, but what the heck I'd try it. I 10-ringed a shot from 100 yds. with open sights. The guy reloaded and said, "Here. Try it with this heavier slug." I put the next shot about 1/2 in. below the other - touching edges like a snowman. I kept a poker-face. They probably still think I'm the reincarnation of Hayha.

Regolith
April 13, 2008, 11:01 PM
My friend bought a Berretta 92F a couple of years ago, and we went to the range to shoot it. It was the first time I shot a full sized handgun (I had shot a .22LR pistol a couple of times before, but mostly I stick to long guns).

I bet him I could hit a pop bottle placed at about 100 yards. Have I mentioned this was the first time I've ever shot a full sized handgun?

He was telling me I'd never be able to hit it. Ended up shooting it after about the fifth or sixth try. :D

cat_IT_guy
April 13, 2008, 11:15 PM
.22lr through a .44mag shell without touching a side at 25yards, open sights, standing.

Zedicus
April 13, 2008, 11:18 PM
Soda Can.

(Still getting used to my glock)

MaterDei
April 13, 2008, 11:19 PM
Love these threads! I've never made a particularly good shot. :)

mekender
April 13, 2008, 11:29 PM
once... it was a long par 4... wide open hole too, no trees or water... i stepped up to the tee and whaled the best driver shot i had made in the last 2 years... and damned if it didnt hit the power line crossing the fairway at 200 yards down range... hit dead center too, the ball dropped directly downward...

oh, crap.. .this is a gun board...

first time i ever fired a CZ-75... we didnt have any targets closer than 50 yards... so i thought what the heck... hit a 9 inch target 9 out of 16 shots... the guy that i borrowed the CZ from said he was gonna go back and sell it because he knew that he could never shoot it that well

nismo521
April 13, 2008, 11:29 PM
Desert Eagle .44mag, open sights, standing. Took out a gallon jug at 100 yds on the first shot of the day :D

Inspector3711
April 13, 2008, 11:32 PM
In 1980 at the wise old age of 15 I shot a crow out of the top of a giant old oak on the banks of the Columbia River in Oregon at 150 yards. I was using my Marlin .22lr bolt action with a 2X scope. That tree was behind a barn sized shop that was used for barge building and the old boy that owned it called the sheriff. I got a talking to but man was I glad they never told my parents! Dad would have busted my butt. We lived next to the woods (ok to shoot there) but I was shooting parallel to the tree line where the woods started and was in the city limits by about 50 feet. Lucky shot and even more lucky I didn't hurt anyone.

jgo296
April 13, 2008, 11:36 PM
lets see i was 18 and out shooting by the river and a sparrow was flying by distance was probably 200feet i hit it with a ruger 10/22
probably more luck than anything else

alemonkey
April 13, 2008, 11:41 PM
Probably today when I shot in my first BPCR match ever. I know people do it all the time, but I never thought I could hit those little metal animals that far away, with iron sights. I'm hooked.

rero360
April 13, 2008, 11:54 PM
took a button buck from across a gully, not sure on the distance, perhaps I'll go back there someday and range it, but I'm guessing it was about 150 meters, with my remington 11-87, in 12 guage, one shot, dropped him in his tracks, perfect kill.

other than that, I'd say hitting a pepper popper from a distance of about 20 meters with my M4 from a moving HMMWV at about 20 mph. we were mobing at Ft Dix, the trainer just looked at me and said "damn, nice shot"

evan price
April 14, 2008, 12:23 AM
I was shooting with a bunch of friends at the 45' pistol range at the DNR site.

We had some paper targets hung on the wire, some empty ammo boxes on the backstop, and somebody had hung a plastic liter water-bottle with some rocks in it for weight on a piece of cheap kite string and hung it on the target wire. The rocks were for weight because it was breezy and the bottle danced around a lot when it was empty.

As we were leaving, somebody asked if they had a knife to cut the string. Like a smarty-pants I said, don't worry, I'll just shoot it off.

I put a fresh mag of 230-RN's in my Sig P220, took a careful aim, and POW!

Shot the string clear in two, first shot, at 45' on a breezy day.

I was so amazed I set the loaded, cocked pistol on the shelf at the station and looked around, I started to say "G-D will you look at that! Wow!" when one of my friends who had seen it started pounding me on the back, cheering, and offered to buy the beer at dinner, so I kept my mouth shut.

I'd like to think I am that skillful, but honestly, I really think it was a lucky shot.

gp911
April 14, 2008, 12:32 AM
Not mine, although I was involved as the target!

Teenagers walking along in the wasteland, carrying our bb guns. A gunless friend had borrowed my Daisy 860 Powerline and was about 50 yards away, maybe 60 at most. I had forgotten my glasses that day, and I _never_ forgot my glasses.

You see where this is headed...

WHAP!

I feel like somebody has struck me with a well-thrown rock, just below the eye. Friends come running over, and the one with my Daisy says "I pointed waaaay over there! The wind musta took it! It only had like 2 pumps!"

At the time I rolled with it, but now I'm thinking I got sniped by a guy who didn't realize the possibilities. If I had been wearing my glasses they would have been hit by the BB and sent material into my eyeball. Instead, I just had a scratch, some bruising, and a very tender spot at the bottom of my eye socket.

He couldn't have made that shot again if he tried! I still have that gun, and it is still pretty accurate. It has a rifled barrel...

gp911

TAB
April 14, 2008, 12:35 AM
A rat at about 7 yds with my nylon 66, just pointed at it, didn't even have it close to all the way up.

I knew I hit it, but for the life of me I could not find the damn thing. a day later I found him floating in the pond with a red strip down his back.

Ske1etor
April 14, 2008, 12:49 AM
Hit a big mean looking snake with my .45 from about 15 feet away or so... it was moving towards me at a fairly rapid pace and I removed its head.

BammaYankee
April 14, 2008, 12:59 AM
While working on a landscaping crew in college... Was horsing around with a coworker who hit me in the chest with a tree limb and knocked the wind out of me. He ran and was about 70 yards away by the time I got back on my feet. He saw me bend down and pick up a rock and chuck it in a high arch up in the air (wasn't intending to hit him since I had to respect the skill it took to knock me down). He started zig zagging but the rock drilled him square on the top of his head and laid him out like a cod fish!

He recovered and we went for beers that night. That was my best shot ever!

Kind of Blued
April 14, 2008, 01:06 AM
About 15 years old, my buddy and I were in his backyard which is about 25 yards to a creek, then another 25 across the creek.

About 25 MORE (75 total) past the creek we see a squirrel bounding along about as fast as those things can go. I take aim with a Crosman BB gun and he drops on impact.

The weirdest part was, we went and buried him about 300 yards from his house, ACROSS the creek. The next day we found the carcass ON HIS DRIVEWAY, with a hole in the head. Some sort of haunted squirrel, it must have been.

hankdatank1362
April 14, 2008, 01:14 AM
Best shot ever... was probably with a .177 pellet rifle. My friends and I, young and stupid, were walking in the woods, near a pond. Saw a duck on the water, center of the pond. Buddy bet me I couldn't hit it from where we were (about 80 yards away.) Pumped it like 12 times, took aim at the body of the duck.

POW!

thwack

Duck keeled over to the side, dead as a doornail. When we got close to it, we realized I had hit is square in the noggin. We also realized it was more of a duckling... not a baby, but definitely not a full grown duck. I felt lower than whale poop.

I swam out to get it, and we gave it a proper burial.

But my best shooting was about a year ago, when I went skeet shooting with my two bosses. I had brought along a couple of handguns and rifles in addition to my trap gun, so we could plink around after.

Stapled a target to a tree, stuck a green Shoot-N-C over the center. Stepped 12 yards back. Proceeded to place 18 rounds, rapid fire (1 shot/sec) in the 9 and 10 rings out of my 9mm Taurus 24/7. Not one shot fell out of the nine ring.

My bosses went nuts. One, ex-army airborne, complimented me. The other, redneck good-ole boy type, was hootin' and hollerin'. "Gawd Dang boy, you sleep with that thing under yer pillow er sumpin' ?"

That Taurus, to this day, is still my most accurate pistol, at least in my hands, even more so than my SIG 226.

XnaV80
April 14, 2008, 01:25 AM
150 yards hit a sitting clay bird with a single six w/ the mag cyl on the 6th shot. The best shot i probably witnessed was when my buddy robin hooded an aluminum arrow. It's cool how they're put together in "wavy" halves.

cowboyL1FE
April 14, 2008, 01:26 AM
Was out shooting with a friend of mine. She built a swinging target rig with some hanging steel plates. We placed it across a dry creek bed about 30 yards out.

In the middle was hanging a piece of scrap steel about the size of a dime. I had just pulled out my Beretta 96 and told my friend I'd hit the center one, she just laughed until I aimed and hit the sucker! Best lucky shot of the day.

Meta
April 14, 2008, 01:38 AM
A very unlucky fly that landed on a clean target at 100 yards. Tubb 2000, 260 Remington, Nightforce 12-42 scope. The odds are about 50/50 that I would hit the fly with that rifle at that distance, but the odds of a fly landing on the target are pretty slim.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n26/metaphysx/107_0706.jpg
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n26/metaphysx/107_0707.jpg

hankdatank1362
April 14, 2008, 01:45 AM
That's awesome!

BLC
April 14, 2008, 01:48 AM
Witin 10 minutes of owning my first pistol. I took a class, went through the spiel, then it was off to the range. Torso target went out to 25 feet and the trainer said "shoot the five on his face" First shot in about 2 seconds, I will never forget that.

Meta
April 14, 2008, 01:50 AM
Thanks. The guy sitting in the next lane who was printing melon sized groups with his deer rifle didn't believe me when I told him as we were walking down for a target change. The look on his face was priceless when he saw my target. :what:

CNYCacher
April 14, 2008, 01:54 AM
At my brother's bachelor party, we were shooting trap at one of the local ranges. In the final round of the day, on his final clay, he missed. I was taking my turn after him so I was up next. I figured there was already a clay in the air. . .

When he took his shot, my break-action was open and empty. I had a round in my right hand. I loaded it, snapped the action closed, aimed about 4 feet below the rapidly falling clay and fired. The clay dusted just before hitting the ground.

That was my best shot ever I think.

springmom
April 14, 2008, 02:00 AM
My first deer. It was a management hunt (thus only spikes and does) in Huntsville State Park. We'd been in our stands all morning and it was about time for the rangers to come pick us up for a midday break. I looked off to my left and the old retired sheriff that used the next blind down the way was headed back up toward mine for the pickup.

Then I looked up the road and there was a very handsome spike buck. I got my rifle up, took the shot (the sheriff had seen my rifle come up and had stopped still) and then he came hurrying up. Together we walked down the road. And we walked. And we walked. I thought it had been, oh, 100 yards. When we got to the buck (DRT) he said, "HOW far was that? You got a rangefinder?" As it happened, I did (had liberated DH's for the day, lol)

It was 215 yards. For a first deer kill, that wasn't half bad.

Springmom

tpaw
April 14, 2008, 02:05 AM
S&W, M&P, .38 Special at 25 yards. Put three shots free hand on top of each other using semi wad cutters. Recovered all three from the wood and still have them for a keep sake.

Treo
April 14, 2008, 02:27 AM
The best shot I ever fired I had some help from second LT.

We were in the Grafenwoer traing area W/ M110A2 8 inch SP howitzers. (BTRY A 3/35th FA) I don't remember the Lt.s name but the FDC chief was SGT. Gardner. Anyway this is what happened

We pull into position the LT. gets our grid wrong by 3 k Sgt. Gardner warns him repeatedly & is finally told he doesn't know what he's talking about and told to shut up. Gardner leaves the track wanting no part of what happens next.

The platoon base piece ( that's me) gets the fire mission we load , and on the LTs order we fire. The round is unobserved ( remember this is a 200 LB artillery round not a .22)

Long story short about 15 minutes later we get a call from range control ordering us to cease fire. & not to touch our aiming controls (double plus not good) this means our round landed someplace other than where it should have & they want to be able to prove we fired it

According to range control our check round landed in the middle of a M-60 machine gun qualification range. ( exactly 3K off target)

Also according to range control there was a unit qualifying on the range at the time, the targets all popped up ( several hundred meters away from the firers) just as the round landed and took them ( the pop ups not the firers) ALL out.

Thus I qualified as an expert on the 60 range W/ 1 shot.

armoredman
April 14, 2008, 03:06 AM
Nice! Musta been a Beehive...
I did one recently I thought was pretty good, out testing cast bullet loads in my Smith 10-8, 4 inch 38 Spl, and at the very far end of the range, (I am told it's 250 yards, is a wide old metal target, about 2 feet wide and a foot tall. For G&G I fired a cylinder full at it - hit it 3 out of 6.
I did print a 3/4 inch group at 100 yards with my 1943 Enfield No4Mk1*, off the bench, iron sights, 174gr Hornady FMJ/BT on top of H335, 10 rounds in 3/4 inch. Thank the Lord I actually had a buddy there to witness it, because I knew I'd be called a liar.

Treo
April 14, 2008, 03:37 AM
As A Historical Note :

During the "Three Days Battle" at the McSween home that basically ended the Murphy /Tunstal (both of whom were already dead at the time) war & made William H. Bonney famous, a McSween partisan named José Chavez y Chavez made a documented half mile shot W/ a Sharp's .50 buffalo gun over iron sights killing his man W/ one shot.

Jiggle
April 14, 2008, 05:04 AM
His best shot was the, when we were much younger and stupid,
Me- Hey, I bet you can't hit that bird way up there with your bb gun
Him- Oh yeah. pow.
and after giving the bird a proper burial at sea, we did our best to never bet that we couldn't hit whatever was looking improbable that day. (pops was pissed)

That reminds me of when my buddy and I were staying at my grandparent's cabin on Lake of the Woods, Ontario. My friend says "Hey, I betcha can't hit that can down on the dock."

One shot with the BB-gun (probably 50 yards) and the aerosol can of fuel stabilizer exploded, spraying oil all over the dock, the boats, and into the water. My grandfather was not a happy camper when he saw the oil slick surrounding his dock.

Black Adder LXX
April 14, 2008, 05:09 AM
Basic training. I was on the rifle range and was late taking a shot on one of the targets in my 'sector' and got a shot off as a second target further downrange was popping up. Somehow got them both with one shot. Still shot like crap that day, but that was once in a lifetime...

loop
April 14, 2008, 05:39 AM
Interesting thread.

Best shot I know of was my uncle. When he was 15 he took a duck in flight with one shot out of his BB gun. He hit it in the eye. In good old redneck fashion, the family dined on it that night.

I've got a few favorites, but can't pick one out as the best. The first was in the early '70s and a friend bet me $20 (that was worth something back then) I couldn't hit a sparrow sitting on an electric wire at 300 yards with my Savage 99 in .243 with a 3X9 scope. Nothing but a puff of feathers.

Another from the early '70s was when I pulled into camp late at night and a half-dozen guys were shooting at phone pole. I asked what they were shooting at and someone pointed out a silver plug of some sort about the size of a nickel. I pulled out my S&W Mod. 66 fired one shot, it disappeared and I turned around and asked "That what you're shooting at?"

A third favorite shot came when we were driving down my friend's driveway. He has a few acres (read 11,000) and runs a few cows (read 1,500) and we were about midway between the house and the road (driveway is three miles long) and he says "How good are you with that pistol?" I have a CZ52 setting between us. I say "Not bad, why?" He says "Think you can hit that coyotes out there?"

I look and don't see it. He says "Right next to that mesquite tree about 200 yards out." I spot it and tell him that sucker is no 200 yards, it's at least 300 yards. I get out, hold over about 3 feet over the coyote squeeze one off and then start looking for the puff of dust to know where to aim on the next shot. The coyote spins and drops.

I got back in the truck, sat down and put the gun back on the seat and said "I'll never fire a gun in front of you again."

Hasn't quite worked out that way. He's a fool and so am I. We've both ridden broncs and bulls, but he's the only guy I know who ever rode a buffalo. Even though we're both in our 50s we both still do some really d*** a** s***.

Oh, one last shot. I was camping with a city kid in east-central Arizona in the late 80s. A skunk came into our camp. We have a problem with rabid skunks in the area. No matter what we did he wouldn't leave until he found something to eat and was walking away from the campsite. I had that same S&W Mod. 66. He started walking off into the brush and I was following at about 15 yards with a flashlight in my left hand the Smith in my right.

He stopped, turned his head to eye me and the tail went up to spray. I aimed square at his ass and squeezed off a 158-grain HP. He never squirted, just fell over to his left. I told my city friend he had to get rid of the body, cause I did the hard part. I told him to pick him up with the dip net that was in the boat. He slid the net under it and lifted it up and exclaimed "Oh, my God. He's empty. You blew the guts right out of him!"

I sat back and just said "Make sure he's at least 100 yards away. I don't want to smell him all night long."

Apparently we drew some attention. F&G woke us up in the morning and warned us not to shoot at night...

We denied the shot they heard was from our camp...

woodybrighton
April 14, 2008, 05:46 AM
not sure if this counts as it was with the British version of sawes kit basically the laser tag set for the military.
sat bored on sentry duty exercise when the enemy turn up in company strength:uhoh:
call it in and start putting rounds down all the enemy are firing on automatic and I'm firing and crawling and firing and crawling and there going down like nine pins :D
the paras take about 50% causalities and completely disrupts the exercise :D

Dionysusigma
April 14, 2008, 06:25 AM
I was at the range just outside of city limits with an ex-gf of mine, and I'd been teaching her how to shoot. I brought out 160rds of 6.5x55 Swede, and she'd managed to fire about 150 of them. :banghead::rolleyes::D

Anyhow, there were three rounds left (I'd shown her how to load and fire it and such) when I asked if we could check our targets. While we were down there, I stapled a nametag from a place I'd quit the week prior (I really hated the job, if you can't tell) to the top of the target carrier and we went back to the bench.

I handed her the binoculars so she could spot for me (kinda junky ones, at that). I broght the rifle up, took aim, and fired. "It's still there. Can't see where the bullet hit," says she. I cycled the bolt, took aim again, and shot. "Nope." I sighed rather heavily and took aim yet again, this time actually going through the steps of slowing my breathing and taking about a minute before I was sure. BOOM. "Still there."

I set the rifle down a little heavily, frustrated. "Let's go down and get it. There's still a magazine for the pistol (Vektor SP2)."

When we got there, the part of the nametag that had the company logo was completely gone. Apparently I had stapled it a tad too well to hte board. :p

The rifle in question, as it was set up that day, and to date is the most accurate gun I've ever owned (but had to sell to cover rent):

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=76354&stc=1&d=1208082765

moooose102
April 14, 2008, 07:48 AM
actually, the best freehand shot i have made in a long time occured 2 weeks ago with my new henry 22 (3x9 bushnell scope @9x) lever rifle. 2 shots touching each other @ 100 yards, standing, using the sling. the 3rd was about 1/4" down and to the right. pretty good for me! i was impressed. but, i wouldn't hold my breath thinking i could do that again anytime soon! there is no doubt in my mind that this was way more luck than skill. that is way better than i can normally shoot, at least without a rest. but, it does show the accuracy potential of the rifle. this happened @ the end of the sight in session. but many shots were very close to each other, just not where they were supposed to be.

Ben Shepherd
April 14, 2008, 08:33 AM
My best? 200 yards. Clay bird stood up for a target, open sighted redhawk in 41 mag.

My brothers, bro-in-law, and I were out on the west desert shooting one day, I was doing chrono work with some of my handguns, couple brothers were shooting skeet, another brother was practicing hitting at different ranges with his 7mm mag deer rifle. He was doing this by standing skeet up against empty 12 guage hulls at various distances.

So we call a cease fire, and go set up skeet for rifle targets. We all walk back to the firing line and put our eyes and ears back on. While the rest of them are getting thier stuff ready again, I sit down at my portable bench, pick up my 41 mag redhawk, take aim and let one shot fly. The skeet at 200 yards dissapeared. The rest of them look up to see what I'm shooting at. I told them "See, I told you that 41 mags are flat shooters." They're all "Huh?" I said "The skeet we stood up at 200 is gone."

They couldn't believe it. So we walked out and looked. That was one day I didn't buy lunch on the way back home.

hfdcowboy
April 14, 2008, 08:49 AM
The shot i most remember my dad got me a savage .22 lr single shot when i was about 12. The first time we took it out in the woods we where on a bridge about 100 feet over the wate. My father tied a string from a tree limb on the other end hung a stick about 50 yards away. After several attempts he did not hit it. He told me to shot at it thinking there was no waY i would hit it. After about 10 rounds he was telling me how to aim it "right" i fired and the stick exploded. It is still talked about between us.

Walkalong
April 14, 2008, 08:56 AM
Flushing Quail with a 4" S&W in .38 S&W. No S***. Suprised me too. :eek:

Mousegun
April 14, 2008, 09:01 AM
While shooting my 45 at a bullseye match during rapid fire, the gun failed to feed all the way and while pointing downrange (as it should be) I pushed the slide forward to finish chambering the round.

While bringing the gun up and knowing there was very little time left before the targets turned, I discharged the round through a 1/4 picece of plywood that shielded the shooting ports from the weather.

The shot landed in the 8 ring and gave me a total of 94 out of 100 for the rapid fire session.

627PCFan
April 14, 2008, 09:06 AM
Might get some crap on this one. Neck shot on a deer, 22lr 30yards offhand with a 60 Grain Subsonic. Hit the 4th vertebrae down through its spinal cord. DRT.

Bubbles
April 14, 2008, 09:07 AM
I wasn't there (had to work), but the guy who wrote this attended the shoot. My husband is Mr. Mxxx, and the performance of the rifles he built for personal use, which were demonstrated at this shoot, are why we had to get our 07 FFL - he had requests from some goverment & military agencies to build them some.

I arrived at the site location at approximately 8am on September 25, 2007. The purpose of the event was a seminar and demonstration of firearms being offered to the United States Government by several private bidding entities. Mr. Mxxx was one of the attending bidders. The scheduled time for the seminar was 9am to be closed at 3pm. Mr. Mxxx was scheduled to arrive at 10am but arrived early, a few minutes past 9am. Attendees totalled 89 including bidders and witnesses including myself. Attending were 4 members of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, 36 armed forces personnel of various rank, and the remaining attendees were civilian representatives from the Government and private industry.

After the seminar and range session was completed, Mr. Mxxx retrieved a rolled blanket from his vehicle at the request of Mr. Dxxx, a representative from the White House. Inside the blanket was a .50 caliber bolt action rifle.

A scope was procured as was ammunition. Mr. Mxxx sighted the rifle in and allowed several military personnel to fire the rifle at various targets on the range. At this point, Colonel Cxxx, a witness to the days events, pointed out a target about midrange to Mr. Mxxx. The target was an M998 vehicle. He was asked if he could place any hits on the target. Mr. Mxxx fired four orientation rounds with a US Army Sergeant calling his hits. On the forth hit, Mr. Mxxx struck the target. He confirmed his hit and followed up with 9 additional rounds. Colonel Cxxx then called a cease fire. He and several other attendees, including Mr. Mxxx rode out to the target. When they returned, the Colonel confirmed 10 impact points on the lower portion of the drivers door of the M998. The group measured 11.2 inches outside edge between the two farthest impacts.

Several attendees inquired about the distance. Colonel Cxxx made a call and within fifteen minutes, a light armored vehicle drove up to the line. The vehicle was equipped with a lazer ranging system which was used to confirm target. The vehicle read 3,594 yards to target. After subtracting the distance from the vehicle to the muzzle of the rifle, the firing distance was determined to be 3588 yards +/- 5 yards for error.

Old Guy
April 14, 2008, 09:35 AM
2006 Florida State IPSC match, 4 shots standing, my buddy said 50 yds, I say 45 yds, 2.5 inches for 3, the other one 2" away. Two were touching.
Glock 17 Trig-icon night sights, 5 lb trigger, center of A zone.

The young guy patching the targets said "I couldn't do that with a rifle"
neither could I!

BacSi67
April 14, 2008, 09:37 AM
Was shooting rats at a dumpsite in upstate NY. My buddy threw an empty beer botlle in the air and I hit it using a .22 lr out of a rifle, from the hip.
Never could repeat that.
John:neener:

dewage83
April 14, 2008, 09:50 AM
OK ill brag for a buddy of mine. i was shooting at cans at about 30 yds. and as i was setting up for the shot, he shot the string and cut it clean off. it was the last can up so he knew i was looking directly at it. i couldnt believe it. the gun was a .17hmr though. he said it was common practice and had mentioned it to me before but i said "ya ok. i'd like to see it. not saying you couldnt do it or any thing.(cough:sure:cough)"

cavman
April 14, 2008, 09:55 AM
At a gravel pit in Gray, ME, I once shot a rock across the pit, maybe 150-200 yards? with my Browning 12 ga. with a magnum hi-shock slug. The flat-faced rock was about 2-3ft in diameter.

I had just gotten the Browning (24" barrel) and it was my first day shooting. My friend did the same thing with the shotgun two minutes later, so it wasn't a one in a million or anything, but it really left an impression.

LawBot5000
April 14, 2008, 10:14 AM
Hit a bird at about 75 yards with a bb gun. Quite a bit of drop at that range.

I think it is way more impressive to hit a modest shot with a short range gun than a long range one with an accurate rifle. Hitting something at 150 yards with 45 acp is way more impressive than hitting something at 400 with 308.

32winspl
April 14, 2008, 10:22 AM
In the late '60s up at an Uncles hunting camp, He would turn his 5 boys and me loose with his m1 carbine and wwll surplus ammo and a box of 12 ga hulls. We'd shoot from ~35 or 40 yards. If you missed the shell (shell standing up) you got laughed at pretty well. If you hit the shell, you were only laughed at a little. Two of us would lay the shells on their sides and shoot out the primer. One cousin got 4 in a row, and I still hold the record with 12. Awww, to have 12 year old eyes again! We're well into a 3rd generation now of kids doing this. It's become a fun tradition.

LTB15J
April 14, 2008, 10:25 AM
me, mossberg 500, federal truball slugs, about 210 yards between me and the target, and a coconut in the crosshairs. (did i mention smooth bore slugs)

completely destroyed it on the 3rd go around. not suprisingly, i could not replicate the shot again.

i hate to say any skill was involved. i simply lined her up, alittle kentucky windage and the damn thing disintegrated. o

h dont worry, nobody believes me anyways :p

taking a laser range finder, the distance equated to exactly 214 yds. i tried replicating the shot again, but i could not. as i had used a truball for the coconut, all that was left were winchester super X-Cheap slugs. and their trajectory is piss poor in comparison

shooting time
April 14, 2008, 12:04 PM
Back about 30 yrs ago i was hunting with 3 friends and we spotted a big buck out in a field over 1000 yds away they were shooting 30-06 and i had a 300WBY mag we each took a shot and i was last and killed him with 1 off hand shot It was definately a lucky shot .

Snipe315
April 14, 2008, 02:01 PM
Everyone who's seen the movie Lethal Weapon will remember the scene at the range where Mel Gibson makes a smiley face at the back wall of the range.

Well, once...
a long time ago...
when I was in the USMC and shooting a couple times a week...
at an indoor range in Escondido California...

Yup. I did it.

:D :evil: :D

I didn't shoot nearly as fast but I also don't blink/flinch @ every shot either.

:evil:

I was shooting a rental pistol (Glock 22) from the range. It was amazigly accurate. My smiley was perfect either; one eye was higher than the other and the smile was slightly angled but it was pretty good.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

:cool:

Ltlabner
April 14, 2008, 02:08 PM
Spent several hours at the range shooting with another couple. Had put hundreds of rounds down range and only had a few minutes of time left.

I drug out the AMT Backup .380. Nice looking all stainless, perfect condition, no sights (just a groove) and a 58lbs trigger.

I squared up, pulled...and pulled...and pulled....and pulled (my hand started shaking at this point) and finally the trigger broke.

At 10 yards I hit the bullsye dead-perfect center.

I'm an so-so shot to begin with, and that gun was horrable to shoot, but somehow I hit the thing.

DeputyVaughn
April 14, 2008, 02:35 PM
I once shot a bumble bee in flight at about 10 yrds. Weapon was an EAA Witness 45ACP.
I was target shooting at my father-in-laws place. Our targets were at 25 yd line. The bumble bee was hovering between us and the targets and would get aggressive when we were firing. I went to the line and fired a few shots and was attacked. I stopped and the bee went back to hovering. I told my father in law I was tired of that bee and pulled up my pistol and aimed and fired. you could actually see the wings fly away as the bee disintegrated. I'd probably never pull it off again but it is fun to tell the tale.

Scott

SsevenN
April 14, 2008, 03:01 PM
Just yesterday....
We had finished all our target rounds and were exploring a bit of the NM outdoors. I had been shooting pretty good. Putting 80-90% shots on a 12X24" peice of paper at 40 yards with my M9-A1. My buddy takes a bottle and throws it in the air and says "draw!"
I told him I wouldn't shoot a +p+ hydrashock up into the air no matter how far out we were, and besides I probably couldn't hit it anyway......
Well I started to dwell on that statement, and decided to try it. I stood with my buddy directly behind me, on the top of a sand burm facing into a small sandy ravine.
My buddy tossed a bottle....I waited till it had decended into the ravine and double tap....nothing, missed.
We try again...Success!!! I Hit it with the second shot probably 6 feet off the ground and 13-15 yards out...Once in a life time shot....for me!

white buffalo
April 14, 2008, 03:51 PM
I don't know if it's a best shot but it is one I'll remember the rest of my life. As an 8 year old who was out of school for the summer, myself and a couple of my friends grabbed our fishing poles and headed to the creek. I also took my daisy lever bb gun. As we were walking down the center of the railroad tracks, a cotton-tail jumped out of the weeds and ran towards a concrete drainage ravine, about 20 or so yards away. I dropped my pole and raised my daisy and squeezed just as that rabbit jumped into the ravine. He hit the bottom of the ravine with a thud, and then started to try to pull itself with it's front legs. My buddies were going crazy screaming you nailed him etc. I just stood there in shock as I couldn't believe I even hit it, much less put it down. I remembered one of the things my dad had taught me, was to not let an animal suffer so I jumped down into the ravine and proceeded to shoot that rabbit in the head to end it's misery. I cocked and shot and cocked and shot, but the little daisy wouldn't penetrate that poor rabbits head. He was trying to crawl away with his front legs as my first shot had hit him in the back and paralyzed his rear legs. As I stood there over this wounded rabbit I wandered why I had even shot at him. I couldn't just walk away and let this animal die a slow cruel death, so I did the only thing I could think of at the time, I put a foot on him and beat him to death with that daisy bb gun. My friends sort of freaked out and took off and left me there. Another of the things my dad had taught me at a young age was not to shoot an animal just to shoot it, if I was going to eat it that was ok. So I picked up the rabbit and headed home by myself to go skin and clean it. I got home and gutted and skinned the rabbit and found the meat covered in wolves. Yet another of the things my father had previously told me was to hunt rabbits after the first freeze and the wolves would not be in it. So what started as a one in a million shot, ended up reinforcing several lessons my late dad had tried to teach me at a young age. That was one shot I'll always remember.
WB

ADKWOODSMAN
April 14, 2008, 04:22 PM
About 20 years ago, I just had a set of bomar sights put on the GI slide on my accurized Original Gold Cup. We were going to shoot clay birds. I tried the first shot with the .45 and I broke the bird about 20 yards after it left the thrower. I knew the mountain was a safe background because no one could go on the land. I would say it’s my best.

About 20 years before that, a buddy and I were on our way home from hunting with our pellet guns. I turned around from our after hunt target practice to see a grouse walking in the brush about 15 yards away. I whispered to by buddy to say put, I pumper the Crossman .22 air rifle and took it in the neck, dropped it for the count. My dad cooked it for my buddy and I the next night.

Steve 48
April 14, 2008, 04:42 PM
602 yard shot of a prairie dog in Kansas. Steve48

buck00
April 14, 2008, 05:25 PM
At the range of 6 inches, I fired a .45 at a masterlock and freed some friends who were trapped behind a fence at night in a place they were not supposed to be. (loooong story so let's focus on the shooting part)

I have heard many people on this forum say it is impossible to open or destroy a lock this way (as commonly done in movies). :scrutiny:

Sure enough, the .45 slug hit the lock dead center (almost no damage) but the impact sprung the mechanism and the lock opened promptly. The good guys escaped. :)

I've told this story before on THR and usually get no response or a lack of comprehension. :eek: I don't really care if people belive me or not, but I thought I'd share it.... although I do insist "don't try this at home kids."

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot5.htm

"OP, I wonder how difficult it is to shoot a lock off? I've seen it done on TV and in movies, but wonder if it is as easy as they show it to be. How about if I send you some funds to buy some locks. Will you shoot them and report back?"

Guys on the movies sometimes place the muzzle against the lock, but I'm not that crazy.

geophysicishooter
April 14, 2008, 05:53 PM
I have 2. Both invloved shooting dove.

For the first, let me drop this disclaimer. I know it wasn't legal or maybe even ethical but I was 8 and was soon taught how, where and under what circumstances it was ok to shoot game birds. I was patrolling my grand dad's junk yard with my air gun, stalking pretend bad guys. I came to the back end of the yard and I saw two dove picking gravel off the ground. I had a bb chambered and charged. I took aim at the back of the head of one of the dove. drilled him, dropped him and bagged my quarry. his partner was startled at the the abrupt cracking sound but didn't fly very far. I tracked around the corner and found him there on the ground, clucking around. I jacked another round in the chamber and pumped the handle. Put a bb in the back of his head. I scooped hiim up and ran my kill back to the shop to show my dad and grand dad. Neither could believe that I had killed not one but two dove with a bb gun. That night, I got my first taste of bacon wrapped dove breasts. It was awesome.

The second took place later on that same year on the opening day of dove season. My dad, grand dad, uncle and one other man went out for the afternoon's hunt. They posted up around the water tank and they posted me about 75-80 yards away under a mesquite tree over looking a plowed under field. I had my little beretta 410 single shot fold-over and a pocket full of shells. At some point a single dove comes flying in to water and everyone of the grown ups takes at least one shot at it, it manages to avoid all the lead flying across the tank and books it about eye level about 50 yards away across the field full speed. I raised up, shouldered my shotgun, leveled the barrel, flipped the safety, brought the sight over the bird, pulled the trigger, followed though and down he went. That was the first bird I ever took, in season, with a shot gun. I didn't hit a thing for the rest of the day but it didn't matter. I made the shot of the day and my dad was super proud..

Calibre44
April 14, 2008, 06:20 PM
Two occasions stick in my mind.

The first was with an air rifle when I was a kid. My friend turned up with his brand new rifle and I asked if I could have a go with it. We lined up a few cans at 25 yards and just as I was about to shoot, a Wasp landed on the ring pull and I shot it in half. (complete fluke!) but it was a great feeling handing my friend’s rifle back after one shot saying ‘yea it shoots okay doesn’t it!’:)

The other was putting a bullet dead centre in a simulated ‘Quigley Bucket Shoot’ at 200 yrds using a Marlin Under-Lever in .357 with iron-sights – don’t ever ask me to do it again though!

Funderb
April 14, 2008, 06:27 PM
calibre44, that quote is from "the man who shot liberty valance" right?
Memory fails me, great movie though.
"When the legend becomes fact, print the legend."
I think that's a good quote for this thread! :p

Japle
April 14, 2008, 07:22 PM
About 25+ years ago, I was at the range with some buddies. We were shooting metallic silhouettes at the usual 50-200 meters with our competition guns.

Just for fun, I pulled out my 6 ½” M-29 and some medium-light handloads. Shooting double action, I nailed 5 chicken silhouettes at 50 meters.
My buddies immediately demanded I do it again, but I was, tragically, out of ammo. :neener:

theotherwaldo
April 14, 2008, 07:33 PM
My greatest shot was a fluke, an error, a clean miss, an embarassment, and illegal as all get out. It didn't even involve a gun!

My whole family and I were spending the summer on the Rogue River trail, as we often did back in the late 60s and early 70s. I was in the process of packing in the bedding when I heard something crashing through the brush down by the river.
I set down the pack frame and peered down the almost sheer drop. A little fork-horn buck ambled carelessly out into the river, belly-deep, and began trying to drink the river dry.
I just couldn't resist. I grabbed a big chunk of rock and gave it a toss, visualizing the huge Ba-Loosh the rock would produce and the panicked dash of the deer.
Didn't happen. The stupid deer turned and walked right under the rock. Caught him just at the base of the neck and dropped him kicking.
Oops.
I couldn't see any way down to him that would let me get back up to the trail. I dithered a few minutes. He quit kicking. I picked up the pack, took the load on to the campsite, and never said a word.

Later that night, as we sat around the fire eating trout and drinking Jello, we all heard a cougar arguing with a black bear over something upstream. About where that little buck was, more or less.
I guess that deer didn't go to waste, after all.

Funderb
April 14, 2008, 08:44 PM
I hope primitive weapons season was in!

1200 meters
April 15, 2008, 01:07 AM
I was shooting in a sniper course at Ft Bragg. On my second to last shot, my scope dropped a lens and I missed the target. I had one target left. It was a Man size silhouette at 500 meters, standing off hand. I ask the grader if there was a spare scope and his comment was ,"You don't have a spare in combat.". So I stood and removed my scope and cranked in what I remembered was My 360 meter zero for my M-14 at Basic training (14 up and 3 right). I took a good standing firing position aimed a half of body length over the head and pulled it off. There resounded a clear clang of bullet to metal and the disbeleiving grader said" do that again.". to which I said "Don't have to, it's combat and he's dead.". Blitz:neener:

Nate C.
April 15, 2008, 02:08 AM
I think it was 680 yards (more or less) at a steel plate/gong that was roughly 36" across sitting halfway up a hill. Made the shot offhand with a Yugo Mauser that looked rough. There was enough crosswind that I had to hold about a foot to the side to get on target. I couldn't duplicate the shot.

Calibre44
April 15, 2008, 04:37 AM
Funderb wrote: calibre44, that quote is from "the man who shot liberty valance" right?Memory fails me, great movie though.
"When the legend becomes fact, print the legend."
I think that's a good quote for this thread!

I’m not a 100% sure but I think it came from ‘The Cowboys’ where Wayne used a bunch of kids to drive his cattle herd across country … also one of the few films his character died in.

‘A Legend? … I’ll say!’ … True Grit is still one of my favourite Westerns but not necessarily for the action: more for the dialogue that is just jam packed with ‘Waynisiums’

Old Guy
April 15, 2008, 08:16 AM
A few years ago I worked with some Israeli guys, one of them came up to me with his Glock 17, issued! He asked if I had my sight tool with me, he had dropped his 17, and the sight was way over one side (he was a good shot by the way) anyway I cranked it back to the center of the slide (rear sight) I stuck one of my diploma gold seals on a shot up target at seven yds, he aimed, two hands, fired the shot... dead center of the seal! I mean the exact center! Drilled it.

I said "one more?" "Oh no" he said, took that seal with him!

If you enjoyed reading about "Best Shot You've Made" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!