highschool sports, shooting team safe?

PDA

akodo
April 13, 2008, 10:31 PM
I recall reading here about a study that showed that of all the sports, cheerleading had the most injuries and football the most deaths, and per X participants, shooting was the safest.

The THR search function never seems to work well at all. The more terms I put in, the more results I seem to get. I can never find anything with that tool.

Can anyone help me with finding that topic or that link?

If you enjoyed reading about "highschool sports, shooting team safe?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Anteater1717
April 13, 2008, 10:43 PM
Wouldn't suprise me. The goal of shooting is to minimize movment.

mekender
April 13, 2008, 11:10 PM
here is the report you are looking for

http://www.nssf.org/PDF/IIR_V2N5.pdf

Rachen
April 13, 2008, 11:48 PM
Doesn't surprise me at all. Shooting, just like pool, bowling, and golf, are not contact sports. The only contact you might make during shooting is:
1. Getting some brass bouncing off your head or shooting glasses,
2. Giving a high five to a friend when you both score perfectly against another team.:D

zxcvbob
April 14, 2008, 12:16 AM
A couple of years ago, my employer shut down the Bullseye pistol league/club that had been in existence for 47 years because they said it was unsafe. We pointed out that the pistol club was the only sponsored activity with a *perfect* safety record (better record even than the chess club), and they just repeated that it was unsafe (because they said so, I guess.)

We moved to the league to the local gun club.

CmpsdNoMore
April 14, 2008, 12:18 AM
How do you have safety problems playing chess?
haha

alemonkey
April 14, 2008, 12:20 AM
How do you have safety problems playing chess?

When the football players beat up the chess players.

bogie
April 14, 2008, 02:27 AM
Nope. When the chess players tripped the football players at the top of the stairway.

akodo
April 14, 2008, 03:14 PM
thanks, great link, a lot of useful information.

however, I am looking for one that looks at school sponsored sports, not hunting in general

Atla
April 14, 2008, 06:09 PM
Not only that, I was looking at some colleges out west who are lucky enough to have a shooting team - and the girls outnumbered the guys.

On top of that all but one of the girls were fairly cute!

And I had to attend some stupid liberal college with stupid liberal girls

Crunker1337
April 14, 2008, 06:38 PM
My old eighth grade chem teacher used to talk about he used to have fun with target rifles in school.
And he lived in South Philly.
But nowadays, damn... drawing a gun in school (and I don't mean clearing leather, haha) means that you're obviously going to snap and kill people.

If you enjoyed reading about "highschool sports, shooting team safe?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!