Nonsense posts

PDA

45Guy
April 13, 2008, 10:31 PM
Is it just me, or are there a lot more people replying to threads that are saying "this thread is ridiculous" or "this is nonsense." Why do these people insist on ruining the thread? Or at least bringing down other people's posts or replies, it serves no purpose. These threads are mostly hypothetical situations, or just plain entertainment like the "9mm vs .45 in space" I'm pretty sure that is not an astronaut asking.

So why don't the 2% of people posting these remarks please go back to posting in a High Road manner.

Rant/Request over.

If you enjoyed reading about "Nonsense posts" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
iamkris
April 13, 2008, 10:50 PM
this thread is ridiculous

:)

Huddog
April 13, 2008, 10:57 PM
Amen iamkris

JohnBT
April 13, 2008, 10:58 PM
The zombies ate their brains. Or something like that.

On a more serious note, I don't think there are a proportionally larger number of replies purporting nonsense, just more threads receiving them. Or something like that.

John

CBS220
April 13, 2008, 11:01 PM
http://esum.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/serious.jpg

Winchester 73
April 13, 2008, 11:05 PM
I better not comment.:)

JWarren
April 13, 2008, 11:10 PM
As somone that made a statement today somewhat on the lines of your compaint, I'll respond.

If I see a question asked that I consider lacking a degree of initial reflection-- such as the one that I responded to earlier, I will state it.

If I see a question asked which already contains its desired answer, I will call it as such.

Granted, I'll not simply state "this thread is ridiculous." I'll state my critique of the question.

And sometimes that critique ends with the conclusion that the question is indeed "ridiculous."

-- John

45Guy
April 13, 2008, 11:21 PM
I agree that there aren't many people doing it, but it seems like there are more than there were, which is why I said 2%. I'm thinking it's just people trying to up there post count, like some of the posts here.

Winchester 73
April 14, 2008, 12:15 AM
I'm thinking it's just people trying to up there post count, like some of the posts here.

Right,content and being informative means nothing;just let me keep running up that post count.Lets see,1,281 now. 22000 more and I catch up to sm and Standing Wolf:And we know how little they contribute!:D
So I commented anyway.

evan price
April 14, 2008, 12:17 AM
I could say "THis is ridiculous" but it's actually a whole LOT LESS WORK to just say,

+1

Which is worse? :)

45Guy
April 14, 2008, 12:24 AM
Actually I was referring to what you posted earlier. Other posts I've read by you have been informative, as have other posts by other people. I'm not saying that every post by people isn't informative if they make one post like the earlier ones, but when you see four or five posts by the same person that only make snide remarks, it doesn't cast them in a good light.

Winchester 73
April 14, 2008, 12:32 AM
I'm not saying that every post by people isn't informative if they make one post like the earlier ones, but when you see four or five posts by the same person that only make snide remarks, it doesn't cast them in a good light.

I agree 100 %.

45Guy
April 14, 2008, 01:09 AM
Thank you Winchester. I was not trying to insult you or any of the wonderfully informative people on this forum by bringing this up.

XD Fan
April 14, 2008, 01:10 AM
Why is it that lazy people that agree will post a "+1," but I never see someone disagree or express ridicule of an OP with a "-1"?

hankdatank1362
April 14, 2008, 01:35 AM
Post count here on THR isn't everything.

When I see someone with a join date that goes back 4 or 5 years ago, but with a post count still only in the hundreds, I make special note to read everything they say.

Sometimes, it's just some random who never gets around to logging on and really doesn't have anything to add, just paricipates whenever they're bored.

But sometimes, it's the guy who reads everything, and really only posts when he/she has something valuable to add. And it usually is valuable.

Then you got guys already mentioned like Steve and Standing Wolf, who have well ovet 20K posts, and still seem to be able to add something to any topic the post on. That's awesome.

Me? I help where I can, maybe crack a joke, and try to fly low.

John828
April 14, 2008, 09:42 AM
Why is it that lazy people that agree will post a "+1," but I never see someone disagree or express ridicule of an OP with a "-1"?

+1

Intune
April 14, 2008, 10:11 AM
So why don't the 2% of people posting these remarks please go back to posting in a High Road manner.
I don't know that they ever did post in a High Road manner. Call 'em on their lame post & make them explain their negativity.

Me, I'm just trying to boost my post count 'cause I haven't been here long enough to crank some serious numbers.

Six or so years is a flash in the pan (woot, gun-related, +4 bonus points) because I type real sloooowwww. I started this response in February! ;)

USMC 1975
April 14, 2008, 10:31 AM
I must be out of touch with the times here on the internet.

If I read a post or thread that doesn't interest me I do one thing - I move on to the next post or thread.

No big deal. Sometimes, things are better off left unsaid. :confused:

Chris

Robert Hairless
April 14, 2008, 10:38 AM
I've wondered too.

My best guess is that these are the same kinds of people whose hobby is directing traffic on busy streets. They know for sure how to run the world and stand ready to do it at any time. In Internet forums they're surrogate moderators.

When God relinquishes his post to Mayor Michael Bloomberg, one of them will take over control of New York and the rest of us will have a little more peace.

Or maybe they just don't know how to skip messages that they don't understand or think unworthy of their computer screens. That's my second best guess.

SaxonPig
April 14, 2008, 10:39 AM
First we ruin Christmas, and now the Internet?

Oh, the humanity!

malakas07
April 14, 2008, 10:39 AM
Sometimes, things are better off left unsaid.

Exactly.

IMO, I don't mind it when people state their own opinions in a thread. That's what this place is for to share thoughts and Ideas.
Not only this site but several other sites now a days you cannot state your own opinions, thoughts or beliefs without someone blatantly attacking you.

People are more and more just flat out telling you that what you think or believe in is just ridiculous. Sometimes not even
reading your post or reading any of the thread before giving their $.02. People are willing to even go as far as making a mockery of you.
People get more bold and say what they want without paying respects to your thoughts and ideas. IMO if you cannot post a honest and thoughtful reply then move along.

So sites are forced to shut the thread down and then eventually making it against the rules. Constantly walking on egg shells in these days and times.

JohnBT
April 14, 2008, 10:58 AM
The following is not directed at anyone who has posted in this thread, it's just an idle thought.

Some people have thicker skin than others. I know it's hard to believe that there is really such a thing as a thin-skinned gun owner who would take offense at an offhand comment in a thread, but it's true.

I suppose we should all strive to be more sensitive. ;)

John

IllHunter
April 14, 2008, 11:09 AM
now I think I've got a rash! :what:

RTFM
April 14, 2008, 11:11 AM
http://ratonland.org/img/articles/bunny-pancake.gif

I just had to......

Jdude
April 14, 2008, 11:41 AM

Hmm, seems that the minimum post length is 4 characters.

RTFM, thanks for making breakfast :neener:

The Tourist
April 14, 2008, 12:34 PM
Sometimes you just have to stop the hemorrhaging.

I'm beginning to use the idea of "three's the charm." That is, if I have stated a position, and then answered a more probing question, that should be it. If someone decides to inject erroneous ideas into the mix, you might site a link.

Of course, then you find the chairborne rangers. Guys who have never actually done anything, never will do anything and provide so much misinformation from "graphic novels" that a concerned member might actually consider the info with a real firearm.

Let's suppose it happened with knives. An idiot shows up, spouts off, and I remain silent. If I have previously posted, a younger guy might say, "Well, The Tourist didn't offer rebuttal, so it must be true."

In like manner, I depend on information for topics to which I have little schooling. For example, I have purchased only one shotgun in my entire life--a Mossberg 590 acquired for "3 weapon" competition I wound up using very little. Except for bolt action rifles I used for varmints, I have had only two real-deal deer rifles--a Ruger 77 Ultra-Lite in .243 Win, and a 45-70 Marline Guide Gun in stainless.

The rest of my money went into pistols, casting and reloading.

I need knowledgeable people to "draw a line" once in a while. I don't consider that a bad idea, and I promise those people a learned discourse on the knives I have handled. I simply don't think we should let stand ideas that are error-for-ego.

strat81
April 14, 2008, 12:37 PM
This thread is nonsense.

http://www.joshstaiger.org/images/seriously.jpg

RTFM... TOO FUNNY! :)

BruceRDucer
April 15, 2008, 10:51 AM
A bunny with a pancake on his head???:uhoh::uhoh::uhoh:

This entire thread is hardly irreverent!

If you enjoyed reading about "Nonsense posts" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!