Any legit reason to have 33 round glock mag?

PDA

newbie4help
April 13, 2008, 11:49 PM
I mean...these things just seem ridiculous lol. You can't concealed carry with one. If somebody other than a small army breaks into your home you won't need more than 17 rounds.

Is there a reason people get these? I'm sure many people use them for illegit purposes, but why do normal people get them? Does it just make target shooting more convenient? I would think it would throw off the feel of the gun???

Also, is it possible to load them w/o an speed loader? Seems like the spring tension would be ridiculous.

If you enjoyed reading about "Any legit reason to have 33 round glock mag?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Diamondback6
April 13, 2008, 11:55 PM
One, IPSC Open.

Two, it's our right.

Three, I'd figure if my first two mags aren't enough to neutralize the threat/threats, I'd better be expecting an "extended scenario" which means either settling in for a long siege or laying down suppression-fire while I extricate myself, both of which mean I need lots of ammo readily available with minimal reloading, and since the Ammo Fairy ain't overhead with a Blackhawk droppin' me supplies...

BHPshooter
April 13, 2008, 11:59 PM
Is there a reason people get these? I'm sure many people use them for illegit purposes,

Yeah, because they're fun, that's the reason.
Not everybody carries concealed, so that's not a factor for some. Especially for a house gun, the best place to have your spare ammo is in the gun.

Ever shoot IDPA-style matches? If you ever do, you'll quickly lose the presumptuous attitude about hi-cap mags.

Need is subjective. As PvtPyle aptly says, "It's not the Bill of Needs." What illegitimate purposes could you be talking about? What could a 33-rd mag be so much more sinister for than a 17-rd mag? They're all inanimate objects. It's the person that's the moral agent.

Wes

highorder
April 14, 2008, 12:01 AM
They are useful at the range.

MORE IMPORTANTLY, whenever you ask yourself "why would anyone need xxx" you have to stop and remember that in the USA, need is not a prerequisite.

newbie4help
April 14, 2008, 12:01 AM
No I totally agree it's people's "right" (it wouldn't prevent any crime since people could just bring extra clips). All I meant by "legit" is it doesn't seem to do anything but say "hey look at how much my gun pwns yours."

I didn't realize about competition shooting. Ty. That does make some sense. But for me, who will use it for nothing but home defense, possible car carry for long trips, it seems totally ludicrous for me to have it. But of course it's awesome.

Don't get me wrong - I'll probably get one when I pick up my Glock 17. But it just seems like I would never use it except for plinking.

Diamondback6
April 14, 2008, 12:03 AM
Bingo--"to each according to their needs" is the credo of Marxism/Leninism.

Free men and women neither ask for nor need permission.

highorder
April 14, 2008, 12:07 AM
Words are important. NEED is a powerful word not to be used lightly.

April 14, 2008, 12:08 AM
yea, because I feel like it. I don't need to justify it any further than that.

jgo296
April 14, 2008, 12:09 AM
yes there is one legit reason only
you were to big of a weenie to get the 10mm and therefore have a 29 round clip :P

plexreticle
April 14, 2008, 12:10 AM
Two reasons: If you want it and if you don't have it.

Robert Hairless
April 14, 2008, 12:37 AM

I forget which agency determines legitimate reasons for owning things in this country.

The Wiry Irishman
April 14, 2008, 12:40 AM
Can't really CCW with a 33 in the gun, but I know a couple people who have carried them as reloads.

Regarding the spring tension - we could never get more than 30 into my friend's.

Richmond
April 14, 2008, 12:49 AM
I forget which agency determines legitimate reasons for owning things in this country.

Actually it isn't just one - there are a while bunch of them that think it is their job! :uhoh:

Seriously, I have a 33 round mag. I don't use my 17 for a concealed carry gun - I carry it with an M6 laser/light mounted in the handgun compartment of my Camelback Demon, which I use as an BOB/emergency bag. I carry the bag daily on hikes in the woods. I keep the large mag velcroed in the compartment with the 17, along with another mag in the pack with my various bits of emergency gear. Total round count is 17 + 17 + 30 = 64. A good way to carry extra ammo.

DrewH
April 14, 2008, 12:51 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I mean...these things just seem ridiculous lol. You can't concealed carry with one. If somebody other than a small army breaks into your home you won't need more than 17 rounds.

Is there a reason people get these? I'm sure many people use them for illegit purposes, but why do normal people get them? Does it just make target shooting more convenient? I would think it would throw off the feel of the gun???

Also, is it possible to load them w/o an speed loader? Seems like the spring tension would be ridiculous.

I wanted one, actually two. "They are cool" is an excellent reason, I need no other.

I use them in dot drills sometimes, not that it matters.

The spring tension is not appreciably worse than any other Glock magazine, I get 32 or 33 in mine no problem.

Gun Slinger
April 14, 2008, 12:56 AM
Because I can. :D

p2000sk
April 14, 2008, 12:58 AM
A lack of illegitamite reason
seems like legit reason enough.

p2000sk
April 14, 2008, 01:00 AM
If the Glock breaks, the loaded magazine would make a great backup weapon!

yhtomit
April 14, 2008, 01:10 AM
"I'm sure many people use them for illegit purposes"

Why are you sure of that? Seems doubtful to me. Of course, a lot of people are under the impression that full-auto weapons are used frequently in crime in the U.S., which is categorically untrue.

I'm of the opinion this thread is the product of a light-hearted troll ;)

timothy

NWdude83
April 14, 2008, 01:21 AM
33+ 2rd ext+ 1 in the chamber = 36rds of 9mm!

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c83/NWguy83/Glock17C.jpg

yongxingfreesty
April 14, 2008, 01:25 AM
^^^ the mags are originally 31 + 2 which makes it a 33rnd.

NWdude83
April 14, 2008, 01:27 AM
Mine is a 33rd mag, not a 31.

ftierson
April 14, 2008, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by Robert Hairless

Unfortunately, when it comes to gun stuff, it's BATFE...

Often, their determination of 'legitimate' is illegally arrived at, but that doesn't stop them from imposing their will and ruining peoples lives...

Forrest

ZombiesAhead
April 14, 2008, 01:39 AM
Uh..."Legit reason?" What does that even mean? No justification necessary here.

I own several because they fit in the Kel-Tec Sub-2000 9mm carbine that uses Glock magazines. While they would fit my Glock 19 and provide a great amount of firepower in a small package, they negate the compact, concealable nature of the pistol.

I also think they would work great in a Glock 17 (full-size model) - with so many people buying semi-auto Uzi/Tec-9/etc-type pistols, I think a Glock 17 with a 33 round magazine (and a shoulder stock, where legal) would be just as effective to fill two roles.

Eightball
April 14, 2008, 01:47 AM
If somebody other than a small army breaks into your home you won't need more than 17 rounds. If a small group of thugs break into your home, something tells me you'd feel better if your bedside gun had close to twice the number of rounds in it than the standard # of rounds, so you wouldn't have to reload, and, insofar as ammunition is considered, "afford" to miss a few times.

If I had a Glock, I'd buy one simply because it's legal. Screw weather or not it's useful, it's legal and I can. That's reason enough.

ZombiesAhead
April 14, 2008, 02:08 AM
Eightball - I agree with your "because we can" argument. That's why I first started buying the 33 rounders.

However, I really wouldn't be reaching for a small pistol with a huge stick-magazine if I needed 33 rounds. Maybe it's different with a full size pistol (G17), but 33 rounds in my G19 is uncomfortable. It's simply unwieldy for self-defense and defeats the advantages of a pistol. I would be grabbing a 9mm carbine or rifle if I planned to fire that many rounds.

yongxingfreesty
April 14, 2008, 02:20 AM
33+ 2rd ext+ 1 in the chamber = 36rds of 9mm!

Mine is a 33rd mag, not a 31.

my glock mags without extension hold 31 and 33 with the +2 extension.

how do you add another extension onto the factory +2 making it a 35rnder?

Feanaro
April 14, 2008, 02:23 AM
First, get yerself some sideways sights (http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/glock-gag.html). Make sure they go on the left side. Now, hold yer Gat in your left hand. Grab the 33 round magazine with the right hand, crossing the arms at the wrist. Make sure the gunhand in on top. Now your sideways sights should be where you dominant eye can see 'em, you can easily control recoil via you hold on the magazine, and you've got 33 rounds on tap. Plus, you just plain look BAD. Enjoy your night in a bad action flick or just around da' hood with The Spray and Pray Platform of Ultimate Doom.

NWdude83
April 14, 2008, 02:27 AM
how do you add another extension onto the factory +2 making it a 35rnder?

I bought a 33rd factory mag and put a +2 ext on it.

yongxingfreesty
April 14, 2008, 02:42 AM
lol, when you take the floor plate off your 33rnd factory mag, it becomes a 31. putting a +2 on it turns it back into a 33rnd.

man, you must have got a rare 33rnd factory mag. lmao

NIB
April 14, 2008, 04:18 AM

Wow...that almost sounds like something Sarah Brady, Hillary Clinton, Barrack Obama would say.

Stick around newbie....you will learn alot here.

IronSightRot671
April 14, 2008, 04:48 AM
Why get a 33rd MAG, ??
When You can get this:evil:
http://coffeeandcapitalism.com/blog2/wp-content/uploads/2006/06/glock-beta-600.jpg

smee781
April 14, 2008, 05:16 AM
It makes alot of noise for a longer peirod of time @ the indoor range!:evil:

ZombiesAhead
April 14, 2008, 05:47 AM
NIB:
I'm sure many people use them for illegit purposes

Really? Tell me more.

jmr40
April 14, 2008, 06:54 AM
NWdude83, I think you need to count your ammo as you load your magazine. Even with the +2 extension it is difficult to get more than 30 rounds in.

Marbles
April 14, 2008, 06:57 AM
"Any legit reason to have [a] 33 round [G]lock mag?"

Surely.

Because 32 isn't enough.

TAB
April 14, 2008, 07:25 AM
They are very useful for cuasing thumb pain. other then that, I can't see a use for them

Top_Notch
April 14, 2008, 11:34 AM
Ha. I just received mine in the mail this weekend for my 19!

cmidkiff
April 14, 2008, 12:07 PM
A Glock 18 seems like a good reason to me... If it weren't for our rights already being infringed upon, I'd imagine they'd be quite common. Impractical for CCW, sure, but their's nothing better for putting a grin on your face!

Why does anyone need a car that's capable of running faster than 70mph?

Why would anyone need an 'assault weapon'?

"No honest man needs more than 10 rounds in a gun"... Bill Ruger

.50bmg rifles "can pierce the skin of an aircraft"... The Brady Campaign.

hy·per·bo·le (h-pűrb-l)
n.
A figure of speech in which exaggeration is used for emphasis or effect, as in I could sleep for a year or This book weighs a ton.

It is a tool often used by those who believe that mere citizens should not be allowed to own firearms. They don't need our help to justify their positions.

DougDubya
April 14, 2008, 12:21 PM

Show me where Bill Ruger wrote this or said this aloud.

duucfho
April 14, 2008, 12:24 PM
If the Glock breaks, the loaded magazine would make a great backup weapon!

The best reason yet.

BattleChimp Potemkin
April 14, 2008, 12:34 PM
Perhaps in said carbines (Keltec, 9mm ARs that use the Glock mags, if only Bushmaster made these instead of Oly, but thats a personal thing, dont bring it up on me).

Handguns? Well, to be honest, we have folks in our local gunshops that ask "Can it take a Thurdae?(Thirty?) Can it take A beams (yes, a BEAMS, not beam)". Its all show. I AM NOT SAYING (as many would love to have a reason for a fight) that people that have these are "a certain way" or similar. But really, do you need one? (put the arguements about rights and all of that aside, 33rounds? Seriously?). I have seen alot of people at my range with these, and while this is not a generalization, they generally cannot shoot very well, using a handgun for enfilade fire, rather than well placed shots. These are the folks you will find in newspapers having killed a couple innocents to get at one shooter. (this is a personal belief, not anything more. Flame away, I dont mind. You can call me an idiot or similar, but Im exercising my 1st, so go ahead, seems to happen alot here anyways :( )

Practical carry? Show me one event where an ordinary CCW'er needed one of these monstrocities (not a rifle, not a shotgun, not better handgun training, but a 33 round magazine for a handgun)?

Honest man needing only ten rounds? Im a revolver freak, so I sort of agree with this (only in action, not his principles, I will let you get mad at Ruger, not me regarding this).

Down to it: They look pretty cool! I admit it! A M17 with a big stick mag hanging out the bottom does invoke a coolness to a person. A friend of mine even got a reproduction Thompson mag pouch and filled the bottom a bit with cloth, for use with these mags. Worked very well for him, especially when he put it in his trunk with his Keltec carbine (his trunk monkey!). You will never have to load mags at the range again with these magazines. Initial loading is a pain, but no prob at the range. If I had a M17 or M19, I would have at least one as an oddity, but nothing more. Also, would not the extra holes in the magazine (witness holes?) allow more dust and grime to enter the mag? I would hate to have my polymer wonderweapon jam or misfeed due to a dirty magazine.

shooter1
April 14, 2008, 12:52 PM
Because I want too! Using the (Lack of) logic of the OP, the question could be: Is there any legit reason to own more than a 5 rd mag---------or-----why would anyone need more than a single shot.
Because I want to is reason enough, it should not be a subject of question to anyone else.
str1

nothinspecial
April 14, 2008, 12:58 PM
olympic arms ar 15 in 9mm that accepts glock mags.
pairing said rifle with a glock in your prefered 9mm model.
Then when the revo begins, and you've been able to stock up on the more economical 9mm surplus ammo, you are adequately equipped to fight and survive.
Anyone who says that they only need a certain amount of rounds to complete a fight. Not to ruffle anyone feathers, but You Are Wrong. Ask anyone who has been in a gunfight or been in combat. If you ever find yourself in a gun fight you dont think about how many rounds you have, or what type of neat new holster you have, but you think about how to survive and WIN b/c that is the ultimate goal. So if a 33rnd mag on an ankle holster, or any other clever area, helps you win your fight and return to your home the way you left it; then amen for a 33rounder.
While I personally do not carry 33rd mags, or even own a 9mm Glock, I do carry 49rounds on me when I am on duty, and at most times I will have 27 rounds on me when carrying my G23. If you take the time to carry a weapon why not carry an extra mag? To steal a piece of a quote by Jeff Gonzales of tricon "in a fight...more holes are better than fewer holes."

Northalius
April 14, 2008, 01:47 PM
#1 - It's our RIGHT to be as well-armed as we deem necessary, for our own safety.

Do you NEED to watch TV? Movies?

Do you NEED to eat McDonalds?

Do you NEED to eat out when you can cook at home?

Do you NEED a car? Hey, a horse will do just fine. Oh, too slow? It can still get you to where you want to go... and be environmentally friendly, too! How do you think people got around 200+ years ago? IT CAN BE DONE! So get rid of your car! :)

Seriously, only the anti-gun (aka traitors to the American peoples' liberty, big daddy government loving people) people start asking questions as to what Americans "need" when wanting something for self defense.

Do you, the revolver fanboy, NEED 6-8 rounds? Hey, 1-2 can do just fine in a general self defense situation, right? You're a spray and prayer if you have more than 3 rounds in your gun! ;)

^^ See how stupid it can get, if you really want to push it? ^^

Seriously, why shouldn't we have 33 round magazines? If you want to question 33 round mags, then why not also question Glock 17 round mags? And when the 17 mags are banned, they'll question the 15 round mags, and then the 10 round mags, and then we're doomed altogether. It's a slow, but sure, sneak into ultimately infringing upon our RIGHT to bear arms AS WE SEE FIT, for our safety. Do not EVER question why we have a certain about of guns or ammo, or higher capacity magazines. That's what the traitors do to ultimately get guns banned. They're the true criminals.

If only "honest men" carry 10 or less rounds, then every police officer in the country is a dishonest criminal! So is the military! So are armed security guards, and federal agents!

If people realize the TRUE context of the 2nd Amendment, then they'll see that we have our RIGHT (not mere privilege) to bear arms for protection against GOVERNMENT criminals, above all else. We're armed to protect our LIBERTY from corrupt government, if it ever came down to it.

So, the more 33 round magazines citizens have, the more comfortable I become. That includes: The more AK-47's and AR-15's citizens have, the more comfortable I become.

Do not let corrupt government talk you into questioning your RIGHT to bear arms, as a free citizen of the United States of America. Government is not our master, but rather, our servant. People have to stand up and put government in its place when they think they can make corrupt laws banning automatic pistols (Glock 18) and automatic rifles from our hands. They have no right in doing so, but this corruption will continue until We The People as a whole get backbones and protest nationwide against criminal government laws.

CountGlockula
April 14, 2008, 02:50 PM
So you don't have to reload twice.

Navy joe
April 14, 2008, 02:58 PM
If I'm carrying a Glock 17 I will have one reload on me. A 33rd stick will be in the center console or on the seat, a wonderful "bail-out kit." I've carried 33rd as a concealed spare. No such thing as too much ammo. Maybe the OP is the shooter who gave me the stink eye of disgust and asked "are those legal?" after I finished unloading, as fast as I could,a Beretta w/ 20rd mag, Hi-Power w/ 30 rd mag, and 2 Glocks with extended mags. Seemed like fun to me! :evil:

mavracer
April 14, 2008, 02:58 PM
It could double as a back scratcher

BattleChimp Potemkin
April 14, 2008, 03:00 PM
Now that my rear has been chapped...:) Seems to be a growing thing here: Dont agree with us 100%, then we will get "mad" and scream and yell at those who disagree with us. Thats REALLY High Road. Someone has a differing opinion, get in thier face and call them an Idiot.

Anyways: What about the Scherer 33 rounders? Are those any good or should one just stick to the Glock OEM magazines. The only reason I ask is that alot of places tend to be out of the Glock ones from time to time (from what Ive seen, I know Im going to get reamed for that differing opinion/concept too:( ).

ZombiesAhead
April 14, 2008, 03:03 PM
BCP - Some people do alright with the Scherer. I was shooting with a friend last summer who kept having problems with one Scherer mag. I've never had an issue with 5 or 6 Glock OEM G18 mags.

PaulBk
April 14, 2008, 03:41 PM

Can't validate completely but try here...

http://www.thegunzone.com/rkba/papabill.html

Scroll to bottom of the page. They are quoting Ruger from an NBC interview with Tom Brokaw.

-Paul

cmidkiff
April 14, 2008, 04:13 PM

PaulBK already mentioned one source, there's a dozen more places where the quote is mentioned, including Wikipedia. All attributed to Bill Ruger, during an interview with Tom Brokaw for NBC News.

Sorry, I have no link to a recording of the interview. Could it be that he never said this? Possible, but unlikely. Doesn't really change my position on the original subject in any case.

The Lone Haranguer
April 14, 2008, 04:31 PM
Define "legit." There are two kinds. One is a practical use, or tactical niche if you prefer. ;) It is great if you have a Glock 18 (not that we serfs can have them anyway:rolleyes:) It would be nice to have in a carbine that takes Glock magazines. :) I can't think of any other practical use.

The other definition of "legit," I think we've covered. ;)

RON in PA
April 14, 2008, 04:36 PM
Just 'cause you want one and because it upsets the antis.:evil:

skinewmexico
April 14, 2008, 04:39 PM
An SO at IDPA Saturday used one, so two ladies who were watching could shoot a stage for fun, and not have to worry about reloading. May have gotten us two new shooters for the next match.

Travis McGee
April 14, 2008, 04:48 PM
House gun. No need to reload, no matter what. One gun, with a light and or laser, and you are good to go.

rbernie
April 14, 2008, 04:50 PM
Any legit reason to have 33 round glock magBecause it amuses me.

I suspect you meant to ask if there was any PRACTICAL reason to own one; that's an entirely different question with a very different answer.

browningguy
April 14, 2008, 05:27 PM
They work really well, fun to shoot at the range, and they fit my SUB2K. And to top it off, because I want them, no other reason needed as that is as legitimate as any reason to have them.

jaydubya
April 14, 2008, 05:29 PM
"Any legit reason to have 33 round glock mag?"

Juries, not laws (or their absence on the topic) determine guilt or innocence. If you need a 33-round magazine on a firearm, then accept your place at the cutting edge of case law. I figure I can trim my hedge with the 13-round magazines that came with my Hi Power, so why bother with those things? Okay, guys, let me have it.
Cordially, Jack

10-Ring
April 14, 2008, 06:52 PM
To me, they make perfect sense in a Glock 18 as intended by the factory :D Now, if I could have a G18 the universe would be at peace

R&J
April 14, 2008, 07:01 PM
Because Obama, Clinton, Pelosi, and their ilk, all hate it when I do that! :neener:

Makes we want two more! :rolleyes:

They work flawlessly in our G17 & G19! ;)

--Ray

tacmedicp94
April 14, 2008, 07:05 PM
To kill more Zombies without having to reload?

76shuvlinoff
April 14, 2008, 07:27 PM
I don't even like GLOCKS but if I did and I had one, I'd have one of those too.

'cause I can.

John G
April 14, 2008, 07:33 PM
BattleChimp Potemkin wrote:
...put the arguements about rights and all of that aside...

No.

PhillyGlocker
April 14, 2008, 07:39 PM
I have one because they are fun to shoot, and I like to show off at the range. Guys who hear me pop off 33 shots can't help but peek into my stall.:D

DougDubya
April 14, 2008, 07:45 PM
Top 10 reasons to own a 33 rounder for a Glock

10 - A Glock 26 with a 33 rounder looks just so funny.
9 - Because they only make 20-rounders for SIGs and Berettas.
8 - They're a good excuse for SMG mag pouches on your range vest.
7 - I think you can fit 30 .40's in there.
6 - 30 rounds of .357 SIG. 'Nuff said.
5 - FIVE, GOLD-DEN RINGS, ba dump bump bump
4 - HCI hates 'em.
3 - Why carry two 17 rounders when you can replace one with a 33 rounder?
2 - Because Lawrence Fishburn looked so dang cool with one in the Matrix Reloaded. Forget Neo. Morpheus is the king of cool.
1 - Because I don't know where to buy the Beta-C drum for the Glock, as shown a few pages back.

DougDubya
April 14, 2008, 07:46 PM
Ugh. Said on TV?

And he never recanted that in the decades since?

Moonclip
April 14, 2008, 07:51 PM
Beter to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. I always thought they were good to keep around as a spare in a home or a car.

Also just for fun.

notenoughtime3
April 14, 2008, 07:56 PM
You can't concealed carry with one

Uh... o.k., sure you can't.:rolleyes:

michiganfan
April 14, 2008, 07:58 PM
Its just plain fun to put it in a G19 and let rip. In addition my kel tec subgun takes the glock mags, so I have a nice little 9mm carbine with a 33 round mag. Finally I have a basement full of tools I will probably never use but then again you never know what you will need someday.

notenoughtime3
April 14, 2008, 08:04 PM
http://www.oldnavy.com/Asset_Archive/ONWeb/Assets/Product/524/524118/main/on524118-03p01v01.jpg

http://www.oldnavy.com/browse/product.do?cid=5226&pid=524118&scid=524118032

It's almost as though the pockets in these shorts(on the left leg) were made for the 33 round mags.

You can fit 2 per pocket, just make sure to cut off those friggin' frills on the bottom.

icebones
April 14, 2008, 08:06 PM
high cap magazines---stick it to the anti's

reload less often:evil:

GearHead_1
April 14, 2008, 08:16 PM
I don't have a 33 round mag but I do have the after market 29 round mag for the .40. I have a MecTec carbine conversion for one of my Glock's and this is the perfect set up for this little rifle. A lot of times when someone stops by and asks me to go shoot with little notice this is the firearm I grab. I can change from a pistol to the carbine conversion in 30 seconds and the carbine with a red dot is fairly accurate on anything inside 125 yards (paper plate/busting bottles accurate). It gives me the convenience of both a pistol and rifle in one rifle bag is very light and a lot of fun. I've been asked a number of times what my favorite firearm is and this is right at the top of the list, it wouldn't be as much fun without these mags. The only draw back is that the carbine relies solely on the Glock's safety system. It's kind of strange holding a rifle with only this safety. I know that shouldn't be any more peculiar than a pistol with this type of safety but it is. A couple of these mags on hand are like having a 30 round for an AK or an AR. A 33 round 9 mm magazine would work equally well in this situation. I do need to get one of my mags replaced, it has swollen quite a bit in the center. I'm not sure what Scherer's warranty is on these mags.

ozarkhillbilly
April 14, 2008, 09:11 PM
Zombies, you will be thankful on Z-day that you have them.
Rabies chickens you never know when they attack.
Because Glock does not make a 50rnd mag or a 75rnd mag.
Because in real life you can’t shoot that many rounds out of a six shooter.

dalepres
April 14, 2008, 09:40 PM
I didnt' read the entire thread so maybe this has been covered.

The best reason for having a 33-round magazine is to be prepared for attack by 33 zombies.

Dale

W.E.G.
April 14, 2008, 09:54 PM
trash can testing

http://splodetv.com/33-rounds-underwater

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/humor/trashcantest.jpg

TestPilot
April 14, 2008, 10:02 PM
If someone don't have to pursuade people of the justification of owning a sports car capable of doing 200 MPH on the road with a 70 MPH max speed limit, why should I need to do the same for a 33 round magazine if I live in a state that does not prohibit it?

Besides, doing 200MPH on a 70MPH speed limit road is illegal, but shooting with a 33 round magazine is not.

I was under the impression that this freedom thing was about doing things without having to pursuade everyone why something I do, that does not harm anyone, is necessary.

RNB65
April 14, 2008, 10:03 PM
Is there a practical reason? No.

Is there a legitimate reason? Yes. Because you can.

:)

Don Carter
April 14, 2008, 10:11 PM

Any legit reason not to have a 33 round glock mag?

Feud
April 14, 2008, 10:18 PM
Any legit reason not to have a 33 round glock mag?

Would not owning a Glock be a legitimate reason not to have a 33 round Glock magazine?

Diamondback6
April 14, 2008, 10:48 PM
Not if you have a Kel-Tec Sub2000....:D Besides, while I don't plan to own Glocks I have buddies who do, and I wanna be able to keep them well-stocked when the Mutant Zombie Mall-Ninjas come...:what: lol

Funderb
April 14, 2008, 10:49 PM
well, of course,

for

FUN!

XD-40 Shooter
April 14, 2008, 11:38 PM
I have two 20 round magazines for my XD-40, they are fun at the range, they cut down on reloads. Secondly, because I can, its my right, who cares how many rounds my magazine holds, and its not about "need".

You don't "need" that Cadillac Escalade, you don't "need" that $500,000 house, ect, ect.

Rant off.:D

Gixerman1000
April 15, 2008, 12:23 AM
Because I can :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/Gixerman1000/31rdmags.jpg
(G17L with factory 31+2rd mag & USP 9 with factory 31rd mag)

NWdude83
April 15, 2008, 12:40 AM
NWdude83, I think you need to count your ammo as you load your magazine. Even with the +2 extension it is difficult to get more than 30 rounds in.

I've only been able to get 34 into my 35 mag, just not strong enough to get that last one in.

yongxingfreesty
April 15, 2008, 12:41 AM
your mags are defective. no lie

NWdude83
April 15, 2008, 12:51 AM
Often with glock mags the last 1 or 2 rounds are difficult to load.

yongxingfreesty
April 15, 2008, 01:09 AM
i guess you are right......=)

evan price
April 15, 2008, 01:49 AM
Because when I put it into my KelTec Sub2000 carbine, it perfectly balances the rifle.

Plus, since the Sub2K is on the HR1022 list, and the 33-rd mags are on the HR1022 list, I can feel like I am sticking my fingers in BOTH of Carolyn McCarthy's eyes... "Shoulder thing that goes up" ye gods...

evan price
April 15, 2008, 01:58 AM
@DougDubya:

[edit] Controversies
After a spate of high profile shootings and incidences with the Ruger Mini 14 rifle, along with a number of unsavory associations the Mini 14 had gained with militias and extremist movements during the late 1970s and early 1980s, Ruger expressed a highly unpopular position (amongst firearms owners, users and enthusiasts) by stating his personal views on the "sporting" nature of certain firearms.

In a letter to members of the House and Senate on 30 March 1989, Ruger stated in what has come to be known as "The Ruger Letter":

"The best way to address the firepower concern is therefore not to try to outlaw or license many millions of older and perfectly legitimate firearms (which would be a licensing effort of staggering proportions) but to prohibit the possession of high capacity magazines. By a simple, complete, and unequivocal ban on large capacity magazines, all the difficulty of defining "assault rifles" and "semi-automatic rifles" is eliminated. The large capacity magazine itself, separate or attached to the firearm, becomes the prohibited item. A single amendment to Federal firearms laws could prohibit their possession or sale and would effectively implement these objectives."

In addition to the furor amongst hunters, sportsmen and shooters caused by "The Ruger Letter", Ruger made additional comments during an interview with NBCs Tom Brokaw that angered 2nd Amendment proponents even further, saying that "no honest man needs more than 10 rounds in any gun…" and "I never meant for simple civilians to have my 20 and 30 round magazines…"

http://www.thegunzone.com/rkba/papabill.html

elsullo
April 15, 2008, 04:58 PM
First of all, I DON'T NEED a reason! Second, I DID HAVE ONE! I once moved into a nice rental house on a nice looking street in a nice mixed-race neighborhood. I wondered why the previous residents moved out of such a nice house.

It turned out that the house across the street was a Crip gang safe-house, looking anonymous by day but quite busy at night. They had turned the garage into a bunkhouse and ten to fifteen gangsters lived there. They came and went via their back fence and mostly after dark, making every effort at keeping the location secret, especially from their rivals, the Bloods gang.

Now, I had a double liability: I was a city bus driver, and all gangsters love to hate bus drivers (somebody in a uniform NOT allowed to wear a gun)! And I worked swing-shifts, arriving home at two or three in the morning, still in uniform. Often I would encounter a big car parked across the street full of six or seven armed and coked-up Crips. My legal Glock 19 with fifteen rounds immediately available just seemed a little wanting..................

Is that a legitimate enough reason to keep a thirty round magazine in the truck? My rod and my staff, they comforted me...........................elsullo :scrutiny:

dirtdog
April 15, 2008, 05:16 PM
Just plain fun to shoot

or it was till ammo got so expensive.

BamBam-31
April 15, 2008, 05:44 PM
Easier to swing when the bayo's attached. :evil:

SoCalShooter
April 15, 2008, 06:38 PM
What if you need to kill 33 flying spyder monkeys?

DougDubya
April 15, 2008, 06:40 PM
evan price - he's dead. It's over. I saw the attributions. Find someone else to hate.

clemsonu0219
April 15, 2008, 06:43 PM
there is really no legit reason to have a lot of guns, or features on guns, that i have... but hey. its fun as hell

SimpleIsGood229
April 15, 2008, 07:19 PM
Legitimate reason for owning a 33-round magazine? The thought simply crossing ones mind is completely sufficient! :)

That reminds me; I should pick up an extended mag for my P229R. :D

makarovnik
April 15, 2008, 07:56 PM
I think it's a little silly but if you want one you should have it. Now if it's a full auto Glock then you would definately want one.

NWdude83
April 16, 2008, 12:14 AM
33rds, because 17 is what the French like.

Dan-O
April 16, 2008, 12:25 AM
Because it makes my Kel Tec Sub2k a pretty formidable little mini rifle.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w71/dantruesdale/100_2314.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w71/dantruesdale/100_2310.jpg

evan price
April 16, 2008, 12:53 AM
DougDubya: I didn't hate him. I know he's dead. You asked for the info. I provided. How am I the bad guy here?

DougDubya
April 16, 2008, 01:10 AM
Okay. But Ruger haters should find someone else to kick dirt on. sorry, Evan.

Kind of Blued
April 16, 2008, 12:28 PM
No I totally agree it's people's "right"

If you did, you'd lose the quotation marks. Our rights are not "open to interpretation" (although those in power don't agree).

A Glock 19, 17, or 34 with a threaded barrel, a suppressor, a weapon-mounted light and laser unit, and a 33 round magazine makes for one hell of a home defense system.

1911 guy
April 16, 2008, 04:59 PM
1) Do you want one?
2) Can you afford one?

If you answered yes to both, need has nothing to do with it. I don't actually "need" half the crap I own. I do, however, want it and can afford it.

Mad Magyar
April 16, 2008, 05:29 PM
"Spray & Pray" brother...Makes up for the lazy slob that won't get off his fat-ass & practice...:)

Navy joe
April 16, 2008, 06:41 PM
So exactly what happens in your superior world if someone has a 33rd mag, no large posterior and can hit with all those rounds?

Carl N. Brown
April 16, 2008, 08:08 PM
Any legit reason to have X round Y mag?

I almost bought one of those fifty shot single column .45 magzines that make a 1911 auto look like a walking stick; not out of any particular need, just because I thought I might want it. Curiosity piece.

One of our local drug related ambushes was carried out with a single barrel, hinge action shotgun, so obsessing over magazine size as a crime issue is a non-issue to me.

I have 30 round magazines for my military collectibles and replicas because that is what matches what they were issued with; I often use them with 5 or ten round mags at the range or in the field. What ever is conveniet. Don't see any reason to worry about mag size.

tnieto2004
April 16, 2008, 10:19 PM
I like loading them before I go to the range .. Then I don't have to keep reloading the 17 rd mags ..

DougDubya
April 16, 2008, 10:57 PM
Another reason - 33 9mm rounds help increase your forearm strength when they're all loaded in the gun.

Also, that weight soaks up recoil pretty good too.

pbearperry
April 16, 2008, 11:04 PM
To me, gun mags are just a means to make my pistol go bang.I would only want a 33 round Mag if I wanted my pistol to go bang 33 times.

kentucky bucky
April 16, 2008, 11:41 PM
Duh!!! 33 beats 17 and it pisses off liberals.....what other reasons do you need?

JHansenAK47
April 17, 2008, 04:36 PM
I use mine in my Olympic AR9.

FEG
April 17, 2008, 05:06 PM
To justify the existence of a five page thread...

Walkalong
April 17, 2008, 06:06 PM
Just to piss off the anti's, and for fun, and for SHTF, and.......

cougar1717
April 17, 2008, 06:58 PM
I am resigned to the fact that at some time in the near future I will see some yahoo at the public range bump fire a gun with that magazine.

BlenderWizard
April 17, 2008, 10:08 PM
Anyone have a picture of a 33 round magazine in a G19?

xd9fan
April 18, 2008, 08:44 PM
MORE IMPORTANTLY, whenever you ask yourself "why would anyone need xxx" you have to stop and remember that in the USA, need is not a prerequisite.

just wish more would think like this.

and yet the dip****s in washington have not the slightest prerequisite to spend other peoples money

USMCDK
April 18, 2008, 08:53 PM
Let's just say SPRAY AND PRAY MUTHA @$#$%$%

For those of you with the full auto Glock.

Can't any glock become full auto just by changing out the sear or something???

If I stand correct the G18 is the most common Full Auto Glock right???

wristtwister
April 18, 2008, 09:12 PM
A 33 round mag is a whopper... but I can't think of a single reason to keep somebody who wants one, can afford one, and buys one to be restricted from having one. They sure as hell aren't going to use it for concealed carry, and for most high capacity mags, it's just like having one extra mag that you don't have to change.

If you aren't reloading your own, you'll go broke filling up and emptying that kind of a shooter-supplier, and while it's got some drawbacks as far as size, it's a pretty neat idea to have one. I'd be more comfortable using a 17 round mag, but if it floats your boat, go for it.

I spend a lot of time refilling clips at the range, and filling one high capacity clip like that could solve a lot of the "back and forth" movements to the ammo box, but it might be a bear to handle for any extended length of time.

According to one of the presidential candidates, we only like guns because we're bitter about life anyway... so if you want a high-cap mag are you more bitter or less bitter?:neener:

WT

Treo
April 18, 2008, 09:16 PM
I'm sittin' here trying to come up W/ a legitamite reason to own a GLOCK.

Ok I know that was bad but it was fun.

I don't need a reason to have a 33 round mag. it would just be more fun if it was for a CZ

sort00
April 18, 2008, 10:20 PM
Just got one for my G-17, cept it sez 31 on it not 33?

S&Wfan
April 19, 2008, 12:26 AM
Sure there's a great reason . . .

Any serious, hard-practicing handgunner who develops skill will sooner or later start shooting hand gun games (competitions).

If a person is not doing this, I recommend they start, for it really helps one learn to shoot fast and well . . . and the pressures of competition expose all your flaws . . . and also help you eventually overcome them and be the great shooter you have the potential of being!

I've been at matches where sometimes a person can load as many rounds as they can load, with a mandatory reload. This kind of match favors a Glock 9mm, in the hands of a shooter who can shoot well, with 33 round magazines!

A TRUE STORY . . .

Then again, I was shooting a steel challenge match once with 18 steel targets spread out over 90 degrees, from about 15 yards out to about 30 yards. The shortest time to knock down all 18 steel plates and poppers won the pot, about 30 people signed up.

Guns started in a pistol case, unloaded.
There was ONE manditory reload you had to make sometime before that 18th steel plate fell. This kind of match was a perfect time for the 33 round mags for those shooting Glock 9mms.

Those who didn't have a G 9mm, or those who don't trust a 9mm against plate steel targets pulled out high cap .45s, or single stackers with TEN round magazines for their .45s. This gave more knockdown power and still allowed even the single stack guys, with 10 round mags, to make two misses before having to reload another time.

I WON THE MATCH . . . SHOOTING A MOON CLIPPED, SIX SHOT .45ACP REVOLVER!

That's right. An initially empty six gun + two more reloads IF I DIDN'T miss once. Bottom line . . . I didn't miss, and all the other guys started spraying a praying a little too hard. My time was in the low-forty second range . . . no Jerry Miculek, but not too bad for me. A fine single stack shooter finished about three seconds behind me.

One of the guys with several 33 round magazines (just in case) shot over 100 rounds before running empty and getting a DNF.

MY ADVANTAGE? I couldn't miiss at all! Yep, that forced me to take a slight fraction of a second longer to get a perfect sight picture, every time.

Those with lots of rounds and false confidence didn't focus on a perfect sight picture. No, I shouldn't have won that match, but I did. Shot placement, and smooth, bobble-free reloads at speed were the key.

Yep, owners of Glocks SHOULD have a couple of 33 round magazines for their 9mms . . . just for fun and for competition's sake. There's NO reason not to have a few, just for times like this!!!

tntwatt
April 19, 2008, 12:54 AM
I carry a glock 26 subcompact. 10rounds. I'll probably never need all 10. But I also keep a 33 rounder in the door pocket of my car. Extremely convenient way to carry extra ammo at the ready. I don't think I'd ever regret carrying too much.

TIMC
April 19, 2008, 01:23 PM

Yes and here it is....
Mec-tech 9mm carbine with Glock 17 Lower
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/timc/Mec-tech33roundmag.jpg?t=1208625802

dasmi
April 19, 2008, 01:32 PM
Cause we can. Or at least some of you can, not those of us in California. This is America, damn it. I don't NEED most of the stuff I own. So what? I paid for it, I earned, I want it, it's mine.

Revolver Ocelot
April 19, 2008, 01:33 PM
because I glock 18c on full auto goes through 17 rounds to fast :neener:

If you enjoyed reading about "Any legit reason to have 33 round glock mag?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!