Help a new young Indiana resident out. How to get a CHL?

PDA

dodging230grainers
April 14, 2008, 01:09 AM
Ok, so I'm moving to Indiana this fall. Can anyone help me by describing the process for obtaining a CHL? I'm 18 years old and from Texas if that matters.

thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help a new young Indiana resident out. How to get a CHL?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Winchester 73
April 14, 2008, 01:30 AM
This site will give you the answers.18 is the minimum age for CCW in Indiana.See link to Indiana application on the site.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/CCWFAQApp.pdf

dodging230grainers
April 14, 2008, 01:53 AM
I'm not sure what county Purdue University is in, but would I have to go to a designated county (wherever that might be) and get the application from the police department there?

Also, I see a list of license types. Does it matter which type I pick? I suppose "Four Year Personal Protection" seems the most logical. does it matter?

retgarr
April 14, 2008, 02:06 AM
I have an answer for you!
Ok, Purdue is in Tippecanoe county. RIght now there is confusion between the w lafayette city police department and the sheriff. They are not following the letter of the law on permit issuance. So here is the easiest way for you to get a permit. First you get an Indiana state ID, not a drivers license but an ID. Then you go to the police department and get the application packet.
If you have questions just ask, I have a friend going through a similar process.

Send me an IM if you like, it's kinda complicated.

El Tejon
April 14, 2008, 08:47 AM
CHL?:confused: Oh, Texas talk, gotcha, cowpoke.:D

It's a License to Carry a Handgun here. There is no dress code, but open carry is on the rare side (besides it's cold and rainy here now, bring a jacket, young man, we don't cotton to Global Warming up here).:D

I'm not sure what county Purdue University is in

That would be my home, Tippecanoe County, Indiana: http://www.county.tippecanoe.in.us/

but would I have to go to a designated county (wherever that might be) and get the application from the police department there?

You will pick up the application from the PD where you live. So, where you are going to live? Got an apartment picked out? West Lafayette or Lafayette? Tell me where and I'll tell you where to go.:D

Also, I see a list of license types. Does it matter which type I pick? I suppose "Four Year Personal Protection" seems the most logical. does it matter?

Yes, it matters what you pick (The hunting/target shooting permit is for just those activities). You are correct, select the Personal Protection option.

it's kinda complicated

What's the complication?:confused:

electronrider
April 14, 2008, 02:37 PM
El Tejon, you work jsut down the road form me! If you live in the city limits of Lafayette, then you ahve to go to the police station downtown. I you live INSIDE the city limits of West Lafayette, then you have to go to the west lafayete PD, which is by the west lafayette post office off of 52. If you live OUTSIDE either city limit, then you must go to the Sherrifs office on 9th st, jsut off of 52, to get the paperwork, and to get everything processed. It is advisable, if you do get a permit, to get the protection as well as the lifetime. Why ever have to deal with reapplying for your liscence?

Retgarr, what problems are you refering to with west lafayette/ Lafayette?

El Tejon
April 14, 2008, 04:40 PM
electron, you live on Ferry Street (I'm at Ferry and 2nd Street by the new condos/office building)? In those brownstones by 8th Street? On the hill in those old victorians? Where?

I'm off Union by Jesco Hills, the old Hedgewood neighborhood.

dodging230grainers
April 14, 2008, 06:17 PM
thanks for the replies guys.

I will be living on campus (Purdue University) for at least the first two years.

Any suggestions as to where to keep my handgun?

(I'm assuming guns are prohibited at Purdue dorms)

Also, reading the Indiana State CHL FAQ, it says TX is one of the states that recognizes an Indiana CHL.

In texas, however, you have to be 21 to carry. So could come back down to Texas with my Indiana license and carry lawfully?

Car Knocker
April 14, 2008, 06:28 PM
When in Texas you have to abide by Texas law.

El Tejon
April 14, 2008, 06:48 PM
Car, well, I didn't always.:D Does Tejas have a law against under 21 possessing firearms? The Tejas CHL statute requires 21, but does that apply to non-Texicanos? Don't know, have to look it up.

Since he would not be a Texicano, but a Hoosier, he would be legal to carry, unless there is a Tejas statute against under 21s possessing guns somewhere. Maybe something in the reciprocity agreement. Have to look it up.

Living in the dorms? Hmmm, have to ask one of the Purdue guys we have here. I'm sure they would have some ideas.

dodging230grainers
April 14, 2008, 06:52 PM
Let me know what they think, El Tejon:D

It is legal to possess a handgun in the state of TX as long as you're 18, but I believe concealed carry requires 21. Yet it says TX honors Indiana licenses, which is a 18+ state. weird.

Winchester 73
April 14, 2008, 07:21 PM
El Tejon,you are the ultimate Indy authority and I bow to your wisdom.
Please double-check.
I have gone over Texas Chapter 46,Weapons,
Statutes 4601,4602,4603 &46.035,Subchapter H,Chapter 411,Govt. Code,
and in all this ,find nothing to keep a 18-20 year Indiana CCW permit holder from legally carrying in the Lone Star State.
I may have missed something.
Now,I'll take 2 Excedrin and try to unwind.

6_gunner
April 14, 2008, 08:36 PM
I don't think we have a law specifically prohibiting carrying at colleges and universities (correct me if I'm wrong, El Tejon, I'm sure you know), but guns are almost certainly prohibited on campus by university policy. The car is probably a no-go, too. One option might be to get a safe deposit box and keep it/them in there. Another option is to move off campus as soon as you can, and then you're good to go.

We issue lifetime permits now, although for a higher price. Mine was $100 to renew my old one. It's a little bit more for a first-timer ($130?). You might consider that option.

Match14
April 14, 2008, 08:48 PM
I recently graduated from Purdue, I recommend you check out the rifle and pistol club, on campus they shoot .22s only, but with the price of ammo having gone up, i recommend giving it a try. The club has .22s you can use and even an M1a. It is a good place to meet other people who like shooting, also sometimes they get together and shoot off campus.

Anyway get a Indiana ID first, I got my license at 20 and didn't have any problems, you will have to go to the local PD and have them fingerprint you and do a background check, since you are from out of state that may take longer, I'm not sure. Then you'll need to go back to the PD to pick up the paper work and get a money order for the state police, mail the money order and the paperwork, then you'll be mailed the license.

I also recommend you get Indiana Handgun Law by Bryan Lee Ciyou. The 2nd edition ( current ) will have a red cover.

As for storing you firearm, According to Ciyou, "what constitutes a "school" is not well defined under Indiana Law." p82
I lived off campus when I got my pistol, but what I have heard is that you can keep it locked up in your vehicle, unloaded would probably be best in this case. From what I've read on the State Police website and in Ciyou's work it seems that School is primary school or daycare and such are prohibited and that secondary education is not included. But I think there is some grey in this area of the law. Please check out http://www.in.gov/isp/ this is the actual Indiana state police website. I once called the State police and asked about this issue, I got a response along the lines of "I think so" fro the officer.
Please note that even if there is no penalty under state law, the University may prohibit firearms, which may lead to expulsion, potentially.

Another option I can think of is to get a bank deposit box, since possessing a firearm in a bank isn't illegal under state law. But then you will only have access to it when the bank is open. If you choose this I recommend putting the firearm in a non descriptive box or case in order to avoid attention.

If you choose to keep it in your vehicle my advice is the following. Park off campus, then dont brag to others that you have the firearm, especially in your vehicle, as it may get stolen or lead to other undesirable outcomes. Second whenever you are driving your vehicle and the firearm is in it, which includes in a truck, make sure you have you license. So that if the police officer asks if you have weapons you can present it to him/her.

Last but not lease DO get the license laminated or it won't last long, and read up on the laws in Indiana. The state police and Ciyou's work are good places to start I think. Good Luck.

dodging230grainers
April 14, 2008, 09:35 PM
thanks match.

Is Indiana like Texas in that when pulled over by an LEO, you must show them your CHL and/or declare that you are/aren't carrying at the time?

Also, can anyone confirm that I can come back to Texas and carry legally with my Indiana CHL?

thanks.

Winchester 73
April 14, 2008, 09:42 PM
El Tejon,you are the ultimate Indy authority and I bow to your wisdom.
Please double-check.
I have gone over Texas Chapter 46,Weapons,
Statutes 4601,4602,4603 &46.035,Subchapter H,Chapter 411,Govt. Code,
and in all this ,find nothing to keep a 18-20 year Indiana CCW permit holder from legally carrying in the Lone Star State.
I may have missed something.

dodging230grainers,as was stated in my previous post this is what I find.Perhaps El Tejon or Texans or someone can double check to be sure I have not missed anything.
Over.

Siderite
April 14, 2008, 09:58 PM
Purdue Rifle and Pistol Club will store firearms for its members (membership $35/semester or $65 for the year) for free at present, but that may be changing next year to help the club budget (last I heardthe proposal was for $5 storage fee for the year).

I'll also second the notion of getting the Bryan Ciyou book "Indiana Handgun Law"

As for Purdue policy, you can find it here: http://www.purdue.edu/police/policies.htm
though working on changing that (join Students for Concealed Carry on Campus)

Drop me a line when you get here in the fall and I'll help you get things figured out - I'll still be around.
-Siderite

dodging230grainers
April 14, 2008, 10:08 PM
Winchester, I guess I'll just ask local authorities here just to be safe, but I appreciate your research.

Siderite- Are going to be a senior or something at Purdue this fall? You can PM me your contact info, and we will be in touch this fall for sure.

El Tejon
April 15, 2008, 08:15 AM
Is Indiana like Texas in that when pulled over by an LEO, you must show them your CHL and/or declare that you are/aren't carrying at the time?

No requirement. Some think it may be a good idea, but that's up to you. Some people I know do it, but I follow "don't ask, don't tell.":D

As far as you carrying in Tejas after becoming an Indiana resident, I'm not too familiar with Texas law, but I would look at the reciprocity agreement (which is ironic as I helped draft the thing) and then Texas statutes and admin code to see if there is anything that would prevent this.

In your best interest to consult with an attorney licensed in Texas. Cheap insurance.

popeye
April 15, 2008, 08:21 AM
You can carry here at 18, but you can't buy one til you're 21. Bring your gun with.

ServiceSoon
April 15, 2008, 08:38 PM
You can carry here at 18, but you can't buy one til you're 21. Bring your gun with.

I have heard this before but

IC 35-47-2-7
Prohibited sales or transfers of ownership
Sec. 7. (a) Except an individual acting within a parent-minor child or guardian-minor protected person relationship or any other individual who is also acting in compliance with IC 35-47-10, a person may not sell, give, or in any other manner transfer the ownership or possession of a handgun or assault weapon (as defined in IC 35-50-2-11) to any person under eighteen (18) years of age.

Click for IC 35-47-10 (http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar47/ch10.html)

Can you point me to the law that says a dealer can't sell a firearm to anybody less than 21 years? According to what I have quoted above it is ok to transfer ownership of a handgun or assault weapon to any person 18 years or older.

Car Knocker
April 15, 2008, 08:44 PM
Can you point me to the law that says a dealer can't sell a firearm to anybody 20 years or younger?
Federal law. 18 USC 922(b)(1):
It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver -

(1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition is other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age;

ServiceSoon
April 15, 2008, 09:34 PM
Didn't think about federal law. That statute doesn't outlaw private sales.

retgarr
April 15, 2008, 09:45 PM
In terms of storage of personal firearms at Purdue Rifle and Pistol we will most likely NOT implement a storage fee next year. Other than having to be a member to store your gun there. On another note after a chat with the Indiana State Police you will not be issued a permit if you have a campus address. I've read Indiana firearms law and I don't see how that works but that's what I was told by the state police.
Or you could just keep your guns at my place!

Car Knocker
April 15, 2008, 09:48 PM
Didn't think about federal law. That statute doesn't outlaw private sales.
That's correct, it only applies to dealers or other licensees.

ServiceSoon
April 15, 2008, 11:20 PM
On another note after a chat with the Indiana State Police you will not be issued a permit if you have a campus address. Although proving residency is a requirement to receive a permit I would call that constructive legislating.

txgho1911
April 15, 2008, 11:40 PM
ElTejon So where in the BIG stat of TX are you moving your law practice to? I understand Houston needs a new DA. Was floating an idea of recruiting you for Indiana Attorney General. Had 4 guys convinced we could do it till the shooting stopped and they all turned out to be brass whores crawlin all over the ground.

dodging230grainers
April 16, 2008, 12:56 AM
Wait...so if my residence is technically on the Purdue campus, I can't be issued a CHL by the Indiana State Police?

popeye
April 16, 2008, 08:07 AM
Here's a link to ISP and gun info. I'd call them. I live accross the street from the Purdue Calumet Extension Univ.. I doubt the local Leos could correctly site the laws pertaining to carry there.

El Tejon
April 16, 2008, 09:09 AM
On another note after a chat with the Indiana State Police you will not be issued a permit if you have a campus address.

Is that so? Who told you this? If this is at Purdue, please have this applicant contact me at once.

BoilerUP
April 16, 2008, 09:35 AM
2005 grad here...the solution is simple - LIVE OFF CAMPUS! Worked well & lasted a long time for me.

There was an indoor pistol range over in Lafayette where I actually took my wife on our very first actual "date". She put all seven shots from a Colt Mk. IV .380 in the black at 10 yards and I knew I was in love!

mec
April 16, 2008, 10:44 AM
In texas, however, you have to be 21 to carry. So could come back down to Texas with my Indiana license and carry lawfully?

You will probably be legal with an Indiana license. The last legislative session ok'ed texas licenses for service people and recent vets who are 18. There seems to be no stipulation in the reciprocity agreement about age of Indiana licensees.
Of licences issued between 9/1/06 and 8/31/07, There are5 18year olds, 12 20 year olds and 30 20 year olds. this is out of 90,867 issued or renewed that year and 288,000 total active licenses

dodging230grainers
April 16, 2008, 11:51 AM
Is that so? Who told you this? If this is at Purdue, please have this applicant contact me at once.

Just curious El Tejon, are you a LEO in that area or something?

I believe freshman are require to live on campus, so if its true that they won't allow me a CHL due to a campus residence, that would suck...

El Tejon
April 16, 2008, 12:03 PM
Ex-LEO. Why?

dodging230grainers
April 16, 2008, 03:00 PM

Based on that line I just figured you were some kind of authority figure. Can you confirm that I can still get a CHL with a Purdue University address?

El Tejon
April 16, 2008, 03:21 PM
With the exception of my employees, everyone, police, prosecutors, cuties at Starbuck's, certainly think I am an authority on many things.:D

retgarr
April 16, 2008, 03:33 PM
Freshman are not required to live on campus.

dodging230grainers
April 16, 2008, 03:36 PM
just checking Tejon:D

Yah, i checked and I don't have to live on campus as a Freshman, which is nice also because then I can actually keep my car (texas plates obviously) up in Indiana.

Can anyone give me some insight into which dorms to avoid or try seek out? I'm going up next weekend to visit with my family, and if the dorms that are left suck, I might try get off campus housing.

BoilerUP
April 16, 2008, 03:39 PM
If you do live on campus as a freshman, keep your car at the airport, in the lot north of the railroad tracks and west of Airport Road.

Don't ask me how I know your car won't be towed there...

El Tejon
April 16, 2008, 03:55 PM
*grabs coat lapels* Welllll, it's an apartment you need? Why I just happen to know some very nice and respectable landlords I can put you in touch with.:D

If you have a car, then you have more options for digs. I rented at Vantage Pointe on 4th Street back in '95 and walked to work downtown. Since I work downtown I'm familar with it so you may want to look at digs downtown. You can walk across the pedestrian bridge, up the hill and be on campus in under 20 minutes. Plus, you'll be away from the student ghetto of WL near the river (although as a young man you may want to be where the action, i.e. the wimmins, is:D). Some cool apartments downtown, but I don't know what you are looking for.

Up next week? So are you coming to my class on the 27th? I'm teaching at the NRA Class at Wildcat Valley. You don't want to miss my lecture, I roll on the ground and froth at the mouth, always a good show.:)

If you want to meet up and talk about living arrangements or Indiana law or just guns, let me know. Friday night is sushi night, I'll be at Kokoro, Bea One, Heisei or some raw fish joint. Give me a call at the office or my cell phone (765) 427-0993 if you want to meet up.

dodging230grainers
April 16, 2008, 04:03 PM
Sounds good Tejon, will be in touch later.

To keep it further gun related, does Indiana mandate a training course before it issues CHLs?

El Tejon
April 16, 2008, 04:15 PM
No training class.

However, to prove that you are a Hoosier there is a written test which includes the rules of basketball, fishing techniques, general dog questions, the rules of euchre (you do know how to play euchre, right?), pick up truck repair, and general firearms knowledge.

BoilerUP
April 16, 2008, 04:20 PM
1. Bob Knight is the Ditka of Indiana.
2. Euchre was founded by a bunch of drunk fratboys that forgot how to play Spades.
3. Southern Indiana topography is nothing like northern Indiana
4. Folks from NE Indiana say they are from Chicago but they aren't, they're from "the region"
5. GO BOILERS BEAT IU

El Tejon
April 16, 2008, 04:23 PM
1. Robert M. Knight is a saint and should be Ruler for Life of Indiana.
2. Euchre is a Franco-German card game of great skill and played by the educated, refined elite.
3. Southern Indiana is all bumpy and covered with trees which makes it a good place to go shooting but lousy rifle country.
4. Da Region=Region Rats (said with affection)
5. GO IU, BEAT PURDUE!

dodging230grainers
April 16, 2008, 06:15 PM
I'm gonna assume Tejon went to IU:D

Or you guys are trying to trick me.

The Wiry Irishman
April 16, 2008, 08:49 PM
A guy a new a couple years back got his CHL, or CHP, or LCP, or whatever the acronym is for the pink piece of copy paper (I kid you not) that lets carry a gun here with a New York driver's license and a campus address - that of his dorm, minus his room number.

A month ago the West Lafayette police refused to give my girlfriend an application because her driver's license still has her parent's address in Indy on it, even though she lives here full-time now.

So its a crap shoot I guess. Listen to El T on all the silly law stuff, he does it for a living.

Yes, the rifle and pistol club stores guns. You have to be a member. The fee for storage isn't a realistic possibility, it was suggested in frustration because we've got a couple guns stored by people that showed up once and never came back... FOR THREE OR FOUR YEARS. Honestly, though, it's was easier to make friends with somebody in the club and store your guns in their off-campus dwelling. Its way easier to call them and pick up your guns than it is to track down whoever has the Armory keys.

A few introductions are in order, I suppose. As you can tell from my sig line, I'm the captain of the Purdue Pistol Team. retgarr is captain of the pack of crooked-shooting sissies he tries to pass off as a rifle team. Siderite is also a member, though he's more interested in the tactical run-and-gun instant gratification IDPA tomfoolery. The person in charge of said tomfoolery hasn't posted on this thread, but posts on THR under the name Thrash1982. There's a couple other members that lurk or have s/ns I can't remember.

What are you majoring in? Is it engineering? Did you know that freshman engineering has an 85% dropout rate? Bet they didn't tell you that in orientation. Or that you have a 23% chance of getting a degree in four years, regardless of your major. That being said, I love it here - the key is finding something you like to do.

As for dorms to a avoid... Wiley, Tarkington (spent four years there, it was a few too many), Owen... I can't remember the others. Basically, you want one of the dorms with A/C. That's all that matters. Oh, and avoid McCutcheon. Its roughly 1983759530468 miles from campus.

When's your day on campus? PM me and I'll take you shooting. Better yet, PM El Tejon, he might be willing, and he has way more guns than me. Any Purdue questions or whatnot, feel free to PM me, too. I just started grad school, so I'll be around for a while.

Match14
April 16, 2008, 10:34 PM
If your looking for an outdoor shooting range, The Linden Conservation Club is only 10-15 miles south of town. They have trap, a outdoor pistol range and 100yd rifle range. Memberships can be bought at Lafayette Guns & Gear for about $50 yr. Well it was $50 in 2005, may be a little higher now. Other locals may know of other ranges.

The Wiry Irishman
April 16, 2008, 10:46 PM
Linden is still $50, still nice as ever, and memberships can be purchased at Applied Ballistics. Maybe Guns & Gear, too. I'm a member, and its the best way to go for shooting centerfire if you don't have a real job and can't afford to pay for Wildcat. They have two 25 yard pistols ranges, one with spinners, a 50 yard rifle/pistol range, and as Match14 pointed out, a 100 and a sweet trap setup.

dodging230grainers
April 17, 2008, 12:12 AM
I'll be at Purdue from April 24 to 26, a Thursday night until Saturday afternoon. I'll be taking a general tour with the other accepted students. Krannert school of management is where I'm headed to study this fall.

Irishman, perhaps PM me with your contact info and we'll see what we can do with Tejon perhaps in a couple weeks?

dance varmint
April 17, 2008, 09:39 PM
http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar47/ch2.html
IC 35-47-2-21(b) "Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana." If you can get some sort of teenage target/range license in TX at your age, that might help if the ISP won't issue a license on grounds that you're a non-resident. That may avoid the trouble with unlicensed transportation of a handgun in Indiana.

dodging230grainers
April 18, 2008, 12:01 AM
Hang on...I wasn't aware that I needed a license to transport handguns in Indiana...

Secondly, I plan on becoming a resident asap so that the ISP cannot deny me for that reason.

El Tejon
April 18, 2008, 08:24 AM
Ummm, yeah, you do need a license to carry a pistol, but I thought we covered that?:scrutiny:

dodging230grainers
April 18, 2008, 01:13 PM
No, I meant to transport them in a vehicle? Even unloaded in the trunk?

dance varmint
April 18, 2008, 01:56 PM
Yes, the law calls for some kind of permit, even traveling with it cased from home to the range, or while shooting at a public range like at the Dept. of Natural Resources wildlife areas. The nuance is "carry" in that statue; I wonder if it broadly means transporting for this purpose. So could an 18-year old with a New Jersey Permit to Think About a Single Shot Derringer also get by in Indiana if we had the thought police here too.

El Tejon
April 18, 2008, 02:13 PM
dodging, yes, even in your trunk. Sorry, but when I teach the NRA class I get the contortions that people go through to avoid paying $25 for a license. Hundreds if not thousands for a pistol, but any magical thinking to avoid a $25 fee seems to be permissible. Get the license.

"Well, if my dog carries the gun since he owns it, then I don't NEED a license, right?" This is after I have explained for 417th time, that there is no magic exemption for going to the range, Uncle Paul's farm to shoot, or for "just in case" to the weekly euchre game in the church basement. Get the license.

Loaded, unloaded, with a trigger lock, to carry it on your dog, your horse, your motorcycle, your yak, to carry 10 pistols on you, to carry on a boat with a goat, in your glovebox, in your toolbox, in your purse, get a license! Get the license, or I roll on the ground and froth at the mouth (as I mentioned earlier).:D

Above all, get the license. O.K., any questions?:D

BoilerUP
April 18, 2008, 02:16 PM
I'm moving to Sellersburg soon...where do I get said license? Local Sheriff's office? I have a Kentucky CCW which will soon be useless I suppose...

El Tejon
April 18, 2008, 02:20 PM
Are you living in town or in the county?

dodging230grainers
April 18, 2008, 02:35 PM
got it. get the license.

so to avoid any potential legal problems, I probably shouldn't bring my .357 magnum up to Indiana until I get my license, right?

El Tejon
April 18, 2008, 03:48 PM
Are you going to leave it with a buddy (off campus, of course)?

If so, you can bring it up, just don't be carrying it out and about.

If not, it will keep in Tejas.

The Wiry Irishman
April 19, 2008, 02:32 AM
If you're on campus, the gun can sit in the club's safe in the armory til you get your license... though there wouldn't be much point. Can't carry it on campus, and if you were going somewhere and you wanted to carry, you'd have to make a ton of phone calls to find out who has the keys, then hope whoever it is has time to get them out for you... not really practical.

If you're off campus, bring it up, and just let it sit in your apartment until your license comes in the mail. As El T said, just don't go toting it around.

hoosier8
April 19, 2008, 12:14 PM
If going to school here and having a permanent residence in TX, couldn't a CCW holder in TX carry in IN since IN recognizes TX reciprocity? That would seem the simple answer in that case.

Got my CCW yesterday in the mail here in IN. took approximately 7 weeks. Indiana is a shall issue state, so as long as you are not a felon or an habitual drunk, you will get one. As far as I know, you do not have to claim a weapon if stopped by the police but it might be a good idea if not concealed well as you might get treated differently if the police find it instead of you claiming it. If you do claim it, be prepared to be handcuffed "for your protection" while the weapon is unloaded by the police, which can make one nervous if the person doing it does not understand that particular weapon. I have heard of police accidentally pointing a 1911 at the stopped person while trying to figure out how to unload it (the police here carry Glocks). That would make me nervous.

El Tejon
April 19, 2008, 12:28 PM
hoosier8, in Tejas one has to be 21 for a CHL. Dodging is 18 and thus does not qualify for a CHL in his current state of residence.

You are correct, one does not need to "declare" ("I do declare") that one is carrying a pistol. If I am not under arrest and I am handcuffed for "protection", I would seek legal redress at once and collect a check and a badge.

Yes, giving guns over to the polic can be very scary, just ask THR member Dan Flory who saw the wrong end of his Walther P99 thanks to the bumbling incompetence of the Indiana State Police.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help a new young Indiana resident out. How to get a CHL?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!