On this shirt no one would notice.

PDA

Sato Ord
April 14, 2008, 09:39 AM
Sorry, I know Arnie isn't the world's greatest actor, but I do like some of his lines.

Anyway, since I'm finally getting my concealed carry permit, and needed some new summer clothes I figured I'd match my wardrobe to my purpose.

To avoid showing the print of the gun dark is better than light, prints are better than solid. So, I've started buying those obnoxious Hawaiian shirts, and I'm buying them about two sizes two big. I figure the parrots, flowers, and palm trees will provide "Dazzle" camouflage.

I may not need the weapon in a crisis, the poor BG will be so sick from the shirt he'll be helpless.

Now all I have to do is remember to carry my cell phone on my left instead of my right.

PS No, I am not buying Tommy Bahama shirts as my best friend suggested I should do. If I'm spending that much on something it's going to be more guns and ammo.

If you enjoyed reading about "On this shirt no one would notice." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Blackbeard
April 14, 2008, 09:43 AM
How 'bout modeling some of those atrocities for us?

FieroCDSP
April 14, 2008, 09:43 AM
I've got a few of those shirts. The one that has fern fronds that kinda look like pot is my favorite. If you really want to make someone sick, look for one that has a shiny look to it. Criminals are easily confused by shiny objects.

Sato Ord
April 14, 2008, 09:50 AM
How 'bout modeling some of those atrocities for us?

Are you kidding, I won't even put them on until I get the permit and start carrying concealed.:barf:

When it comes to fashion most of my friends say that all of my taste is in my mouth, but even I have some sense of dignity. This is strictly a tactical decision, not a fashion statement.:D

The Lone Haranguer
April 14, 2008, 10:27 AM
I like shirts that are a little more subdued. "Hawaiian" shirts blend in in Hawaii (where you can't CCW anyway) and the Las Vegas Strip, but not many other places.

I have a shirt that was given to me as a gag gift. It depicts dogs playing poker, on a red background. :D I could CCW with it as it is large and loose, but don't want the attention.

Sato Ord
April 14, 2008, 10:51 AM
I like shirts that are a little more subdued. "Hawaiian" shirts blend in in Hawaii (where you can't CCW anyway) and the Las Vegas Strip, but not many other places.

Don't forget that those atrocities are also popular down here in the Sunshine State. I'll blend right in. The more colorful and outlandish the better.

However, all of the kidding about how bad they look aside, they really do conceal what is under them. Dazzle does work when it comes to fooling the eye, and everybody expects those shirts to be a bit baggy to allow air to circulate under them.

I actually brought this up because I have seen a lot of threads about concealing weapons effectively, such as fanny packs and such, but the issue of clothing hasn't been discussed a whole lot. I've also been involved in these discussions at my local gun shop/range. It always surprises me that so many new to Concealed Carry haven't given any thought to how to hide the print to avoid being cited for unlawful display beyond type of holster and possibly using a bag of some type.

Clothes make the man, or prevent him from being made as the case may be.

hankdatank1362
April 14, 2008, 11:24 AM
I second your friend. I'm still young enough to care about what I look like, so I wear the Tommy Bahama shirts. Same weapon-concealing capability, much better aesthetics.

Granted, they are pretty expensive. I'll tell you what I recently found that works well for me: Perry Ellis. I thought Perry went out years ago, but I walked into one of their stores the other day, and lo and behold! Very well-designed clothes, that even fit me! (Normally I have to go the big-n-tall route)

They have a nice line of Tommy Bahama-esque button up shirts for around $80-$100 cheaper than you'd get the real thing for. And they look good.

And they're not Hawaiian print shirts. Ick, dude.

armoredman
April 14, 2008, 11:27 AM
I use the cheap WalMart hunting camo t-shirts, when theygo on clearance at the end of the season. Buy XXL, and camo is ALWAYS in,(if you get the Fusion 3D or such, it still loooks kinda tropical...), and brand new light t-shirts for $4 is a big bonus for me. Only shirts I spend more than $50 on is my uniform ones!

Sato Ord
April 14, 2008, 11:43 AM
And they're not Hawaiian print shirts. Ick, dude.

The whole point is to dazzle the eye so much that any print from the gun is unnoticeable. The whole "Ick" factor is exactly what I'm counting on. There is so much going on with the colors and patterns that the eye can't follow it all effectively making anything concealed stay concealed.

Like I said, dark colors are better than light, prints are better than solids. You don't get any more printed than a loud Hawaiian shirt. Camouflage shirts work down here in Florida in many places also. We have our share of "Good Ole" boys who think Camouflage is the last word in fashion. However, I moved out of a rural area and am now surrounded by surfers and tourists. The trick is to dazzle the eye while blending in with rest of the population. If I lived in Oklahoma I would dress quite a bit differently.

hankdatank1362
April 14, 2008, 12:04 PM
I live in Myrtle Beach, SOuth Carolina. We have plenty of surfers, tourists in Hawaiian shirts, and rednecks in camo.

The only time I wear camo is when hunting... the only time I wear hawaiian shirts is if we have a "theme" day at work or something.

I know you have to dress around the gun and all, but you don't have to give up looking good to do it.

Granted, the Hawaiian print does what it's supposed to do, breaking up the line of a gun... but I'd rather print just a little bit more if I bend over or something than wear one.

To each their own.

Mr White
April 14, 2008, 12:23 PM
I may not need the weapon in a crisis, the poor BG will be so sick from the shirt he'll be helpless.
Either that or they'll immediately think 'unarmed tourist' and hold you up.

Serial Fan
April 14, 2008, 12:23 PM
I figure the parrots, flowers, and palm trees will provide "Dazzle" camouflage.

Dazzleflage?

p230
April 14, 2008, 12:28 PM
Strange you should mention this topic. I decided to put one on the other day and was supprised how well it concealed. I alway strech and move around to make sure the holster stays put and concealed. It did not print at all. I need to take a look at some of the other manufacters that posters mentioned here.

Thanks

XDKingslayer
April 14, 2008, 12:30 PM
Don't forget that those atrocities are also popular down here in the Sunshine State. I'll blend right in. The more colorful and outlandish the better.

Careful. If you go too outlandish the criminals will mistake you for a tourist and your chances of being the target will skyrocket.

Markbo
April 14, 2008, 12:32 PM
Who's Arnie?

FieroCDSP
April 14, 2008, 12:36 PM
A fleece pull-over works great in the spring and fall (especially the type with an elastic bottom to help it stay down), and obviously a coat in winter. But summer conceal of a full-size is a lot more difficult. The Hawaiian shirts are nice if you can pull them off. Hawaii and Florida are the best bets there. I don't know how well I can pull it off in Ohio, but I've never been a fashion bug anyway. A light, airy, button-up shirt over a T-shirt seems to be best for me and concealing in light-weight clothing. I will be looking into compact and sub-compact guns this year, though.

OOOXOOO
April 14, 2008, 12:59 PM
I used to wear Hawaiian shirts for the same reason. After a while you will feel the need to buy a red Ferarri 360 and grow a thick mustache. I bought a smaller pistol and pocket carry when it is hot. I have found any printed shirt breaks up the outline pretty well the important factor is getting a shirt that dosen't look huge but comfortably large.

The Tourist
April 14, 2008, 01:46 PM
I'm still young enough to care about what I look like

(ahem) And just when does one cross this magic line? I still have a need for safety and security.

I've seen shaved mohawks, baggy pants, worn out sandals, piercings in just about every hole imaginable and heads bopping to unseen music. I'm supposed to believe they care what they look like.

To the topic. Massad Ayoob once wrote that it might be a good idea to buy pants one size bigger to use a holster called a "Summer Special." And I think that's an important part of this topic.

If you are serious about your CCW, you might have to buy or alter clothes for the behavior.

rainbowbob
April 14, 2008, 01:49 PM
Hawiian shirts blend in in Hawaii (where you can't CCW anyway) and the Las Vegas Strip, but not many other places.

Hey wait a minute! I've been wearing these things for years in "sunny" Seattle - even before I CCW'd. I break 'em out at the first sign of that strange and rare bright yellow orb in the sky. Ya gotta do something to brighten things up around here!

WoofersInc
April 14, 2008, 01:53 PM
You can always tell people you are a Jimmy Buffett fan like I do. Works all the time.

Prince Yamato
April 14, 2008, 02:00 PM
Hooray! Another fashion thread... I'm chiming in!

Hawaiian shirts are ok, if they fit properly, meaning loose but not so baggy that they wave like the stars and stripes in the wind.

And as far as the pants a whole size larger thing goes... I've been able to carry a gun in all my pants and they are the proper size. Buying pants a whole size larger doesn't make you more tactical, it makes you look like you don't know how to shop for clothing. It'll show when your pants are hanging off your rear end and the fabric bunches up. It's more crucial that you examine the cut of the pants (fitted, relaxed, loose fit, etc.). Little things like pleats, can also make all the difference.

My advice, browse GQ for the latest in "urban camo".

The Tourist
April 14, 2008, 02:09 PM
Little things like pleats

That's not an option for some of us.:D

More to the point, my comment was more of a general statement. In other words, dress for the circumstances in which you live.

308win
April 14, 2008, 02:14 PM
Hey! Hey! Watch it with bad-mouthing the Aloha shirts. I wear them in "sunny" central Ohio spring, summer, and fall - maybe that is why people talk behind their hands and point and mothers lead their kids to the other side of the street.:o

rainbowbob
April 14, 2008, 02:18 PM
308win:
One question...tucked or untucked? I like 'em tucked but have yet to acquire the proper tuckable IWB holster.

XDKingslayer
April 14, 2008, 02:22 PM
I know it's hard to conceal in warm weather, but Hawiian shirts are a fashion line I won't cross.

armoredman
April 14, 2008, 02:23 PM
If you wear the Hawiian shirts, don't forget the flip flops, wide brimmed hat, sunscreen on the nose only, sunglasses, and clashing Bermuda shorts...

308win
April 14, 2008, 02:25 PM
I wear them untucked and I don't buy them larger than my normal size. My biggest problem is that I don't really have hips so's you would notice and when I IWB carry my 1911 I have to cinch my belt tighter than I like to keep my pants from gradually slipping down. On the other hand, when I carry my 642 IWB everything is just fine. And when I pocket carry the 642, shirt doesn't make a bit of difference. (That should get El T's attention.)

nothinspecial
April 14, 2008, 02:29 PM
You do know that they make shirts which are short sleeved, with a collar, and button up, that are not hawaiian print or even close. I wear them all the time...they are simply checkered, or plaid print. they fit loose around the waist area to prevent printing. I will not even come close to a hawaiian print shirt. especially if your are trying to go unnoticed, these wild print shirts aren't the best for that.

The Lone Haranguer
April 14, 2008, 03:26 PM
I greatly prefer the loose, square-bottomed-hem shirts popularly known as "camp shirts." A heavier material drapes better and is less likely to hang up on the gun butt and print. And because I like to carry IWB, I went up a waist size on my pants. I think a lot of IWB discomfort comes from too-tight pants.

jlficken
April 14, 2008, 03:34 PM
I try real hard to dress appropriately so that I don't print by wearing loose fitting shirts but I don't know that it is possible to not print at all when bending over. Getting a holster that you can tuck your shirt in helps as well. A proper belt and holster go a loooong ways in helping to carry comfortably though. Milt Sparks, Alessi, even Galco are all top quality for IWB holsters. I love my Milt Sparks VMII and own more than 1 of them for different guns. Don't be surprised if you buy a few holsters and belts to find one you like as they aren't all created equal.

FireArmFan
April 14, 2008, 03:44 PM
I'll be down in the Melbourne area in June. If I see a guy walking around in a hawaiian shirt I'll just assume it's you and you're carrying. haha. You don't see too many hawaiian shirts up here in Minnesota.

XDKingslayer
April 14, 2008, 03:47 PM
Just get a Columbia fishing shirt and nobody will know the difference. They more comfortable, have way more pockets, are breathable, and have an SPF rating.

I live in them...

cpttango30
April 14, 2008, 03:48 PM
Tommy Bahama Shirts are crazy expensive. $200 for a stinking shirt. I prefer Da Vinci shirts like the ones worn on 2 and a Half men by Charlie Sheen.

http://www.globalrebels.com/davinci/departments.asp?dept=100

hankdatank1362
April 14, 2008, 03:57 PM
I like those Da Vincis but I don't think I could pull them off. Takes a certain kind of guy, namely older than myself and with darker features.

hankdatank1362
April 14, 2008, 03:59 PM
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/policestuff_1996_8793875
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/policestuff_1996_8999990

Not a big fan of the style, but gotta love 5.11 "tactical" clothing!

DoubleTapDrew
April 14, 2008, 04:06 PM
^ If I saw a guy in public like in that first pic I'd think "Your shirt is obviously hung up on your gun dude"

Hawaiian shirts conceal well as long as you button them up. Most are so light that if there is any breeze or you walk faster than a grandpa-esqe 1mph that sucker will be flapping up around your armpits and you'll have to rely on your undershirt to keep it hidden.

The Tourist
April 14, 2008, 05:41 PM
I thought about this some more.

I'm the right age to wear a "tie-dyed" shirt with a few million colors and folds.

If a mugger thinks I'm an old hippie, chalk one up.

schadenfreude
April 14, 2008, 05:44 PM
Don't forget your jeans.....

http://toddaustin.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/cn_action.jpg

Kind of Blued
April 14, 2008, 05:46 PM
I'm thinking that the loose, untucked Hawaiian print shirt is the new fannypack.

i.e. It screams "gun"! At least for me...

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
April 14, 2008, 05:55 PM
Sorry, I know Arnie isn't the world's greatest actor, but I do like some of his lines.

You mean like in "Commando", after throwing a knife across the room and literally stabbing the guy to death clean through his torso and making him hang on the wall, followed by a deadpan "Steeck A-rowwwnd"? :rolleyes:

Sato Ord
April 14, 2008, 06:56 PM
You mean like in "Commando", after throwing a knife across the room and literally stabbing the guy to death clean through his torso and making him hang on the wall, followed by a deadpan "Steeck A-rowwwnd"?

Yep, that's the guy.

I'll be Bach

You be Beethoven!!!;)

The Unknown User
April 14, 2008, 07:25 PM
When you guys say these shirts are good for concealing a holster, does it matter if the holster is IWB or OWB?

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
April 14, 2008, 07:30 PM
I'll be Bach

You be Beethoven!!!

Hee hee. :)

RioShooter
April 14, 2008, 09:26 PM
I wear Aloha Shirts here most of the time. It not unusual for me to receive compliments when I wear a new one at work. I guess it's a regional thing.

BTW, I can carry any gun OWB without a problem.

Elza
April 14, 2008, 09:40 PM
Sato Ord: Now all I have to do is remember to carry my cell phone on my left instead of my right.That drove me nuts at first. I always carried phone, flashlight, and folding knife on my left side. (I feel like Batman at times!) Had to change over to the right to make room for my gun. I thought that I would never get used to the change.

Fortunately I never pulled out the gun when the phone rang! :D

The Unknown User
April 14, 2008, 10:47 PM
Fortunately I never pulled out the gun when the phone rang!
LOL

The mental image of that is so amazing.

highfive
April 14, 2008, 11:02 PM
ok you guys love those shirts and I even have look at them at the store. And I know that they conceal very, very good, but I can't get myself to buy one and not even in a dream to wear one. :barf:

I'm not much of a Hawaiian I guess :neener:

Sans Authoritas
April 14, 2008, 11:31 PM
I confess. I have an avowed love of Hawaiian shirts. I even wore them long before I ever carried. The more, the merrier.

-Sans Authoritas

The Lone Haranguer
April 14, 2008, 11:48 PM
I have a couple of these as well: Cabela's Serengeti Safari Shirts (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0018775902464a&navCount=1&podId=0018775902464&parentId=cat601760&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat21082-cat601760&catalogCode=IJ&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601760&hasJS=true) :) Those pockets and epaulets are very handy.

Timinator
April 15, 2008, 12:47 AM
I too wear Hawaiian type shirts to hide my weapon. I say "type" as I wear shirts cut like that but more subdued prints. I can't do the bright red birds on yellow flowers thing but a black shirt with dark red dragons or grey flames, sure.

hankdatank1362
April 15, 2008, 12:54 AM
but a black shirt with dark red dragons or grey flames, sure

Yeah, that's cool. I just can't dig tropical camo.

dmazur
April 15, 2008, 12:56 AM
I've had pretty good luck with an untucked long sleeve work shirt, worn open like a jacket. As long as I stand normally, others (trying to help me) say they can't see any outline at all.

This seems to work until it's cold enough for a jacket again.

(Someone might ask, "But what do you do in summer when it's hot?" -- I live in the Pacific NW. We don't have summer.)

hankdatank1362
April 15, 2008, 01:01 AM
Unticked long sleeve dress hsirts workwell here in the hot and humid south... just leave 'em unbottoned, and wear a nice, thin undershirt. Roll the sleeves up, good to go!

Until you walk headfirst into the wind.

dmazur
April 15, 2008, 01:30 AM
Until you walk headfirst into the wind.

:) That's true! Been there, done that.

Still, I believe "loose casual" works for me, but something that falls considerably short of the 4 sizes too large gang attire that seems popular in inner cities. (Or so it seems on CNN)

paramedic70002
April 15, 2008, 02:18 AM
Try the Hawaiian shirts that WalMart has, sorta subdued as they go.

In the wind I've sometimes tucked the shirt tails up under the belt. Looks odd but works.

If you enjoyed reading about "On this shirt no one would notice." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!