help, hair and fibers are destroying the finish on my high power!

PDA

greenr18
April 14, 2008, 12:35 PM
Ok this is a weird situation: hairs and fibers are destroying the finish on my gun. I'm one of those people who as soon as they touch a gun they own has to wipe it down with a cloth soaked in break free for fear that it'll rust. I don't have any flannel cloth so I've been using old but clean handkerchiefs to wipe down my guns, when I was installing new grips on my High Power this morning, I noticed something odd. Little tiny scratch-looking marks all over my gun. Then on closer inspection seeing several hairs essentially pasted to the slide with break free. When I wipe the hairs, I can't get em off it just spreads em around, I managed to pull of several but theres also tiny fibers all over my gun seemingly pasted on with break free, the more I wipe the more I either spread the fibers and hairs around or even worse, add more. These fibers are leaving little marks where they were stuck all over my gun, what can I do to get rid of this crap so it doesn't destroy the finish on my gun any further? I don't know if it matters to mention this or not but I keep my High Power in a silicon treated gun sock thing. I haven't tried it yet but I wonder if I use those Swiffer lint-attracting wipes if the hairs and fibers will come off?

If you enjoyed reading about "help, hair and fibers are destroying the finish on my high power!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
nothinspecial
April 14, 2008, 12:42 PM
first thing i would do is discover the source of these fibers. and discontinue use of whatever is causing it. Then do a complete strip down and clean it using something you can spray with some pressure (i use gun scrubber) and see what that does for you. but the key is finding what is depositing these fibers.

greenr18
April 14, 2008, 12:45 PM
I'm pretty sure the fibers are coming from the handkerchief, but I don't have any flannel so I don't have anything else to wipe it with really

shooter1
April 14, 2008, 12:46 PM
Uhhhhhhh---------where are you carrying that Hi Power------------never mind!!!!!!

Get a good degreaser, or at least use alcohol to wipe all that gunk collected in the Break Free. Start wiping your pistol down with the gun wipe oil rags. And Most importantly, have it hard chromed and eliminate the problem all together.
str1

greenr18
April 14, 2008, 12:54 PM
I think the fibers are cotton and very small amounts of lint coming off of the handkerchief, as for the hair its most likely cat hair collected to the handkerchief from loose hair that was on the ground and stuff but its not like I drop the handkerchief i use to clean it on the ground or anything so i dont really know how it gets on there, probably when I put the handkerchief down on my desk it collects some dust and cat hair that was on there (I swear to God that hair sticks to anything) i'm going to actually try to see if one of those lint-attracting wipes will do anything

**update: ok so the anti lint swiffer cloth thing, didnt do much. I think I might be able to solve this problem if for now on I just go back to using paper towels like I did a while back, i mean if I do that there'll be no lint and it'll be fresh off the roll so theres no reason to think that any pet hair or anything would be collected on it

DPris
April 14, 2008, 01:04 PM
If the fibers are coming from the handkerchiefs, what prevents you from discontinuing their use & GETTING something else?
Should not be too hard to figure out. Degrease as mentioned, try different types of cloth. I use Break Free on a number of guns & have for many years. I've also used old towels, old sheets, and a number of different rags. Can't recall ever using flannel, it's not necessary.
Just look around for any fairly soft cloth (not coarse canvas & similar materials) that leaves the least amount of lint fibers, or go buy a dedicated gun cloth.

I have never heard of lint fibers leaving permanent marks in a blued finish, are you sure they're permanent?
I use the Swiffers to remove lint from guns when I take close-up photos, they work reasonably well for that purpose. They may or may not leave sufficient Break Free on the surface to address your rust problem.

Denis

btg3
April 14, 2008, 01:11 PM
Hair... pets in the house?
Break free... someone else posted that this stuff is hard to remove, it just gets moved around. Your guns may be easier to maintain with a different protectant.
Microfiber... anyone use it for their guns? Would it help?

FlyPenFly
April 14, 2008, 01:13 PM
Go to target and buy a bulk pack of microfiber towels from the automotive section.

XDKingslayer
April 14, 2008, 01:16 PM
I'm failing to see the big deal...

It's not going to hurt the gun.

greenr18
April 14, 2008, 01:21 PM
hows it not hurting the gun its ruining the finish, where the fibers and hairs are, after a long time, even though soaked in break free, theres little scratch-looking marks that the break free doesnt take care of. Its damaging the finish, i dont want my gun to look all scratched up

armoredman
April 14, 2008, 01:25 PM
Stop soaking in Break Free. Use oil sparingly, not liberally. Oil, and wipe dry. As for hairs, get a vaccum with HEP filter, and an air cleaner. This will remove many pet hairs that will attract to liberal applications of oil.
BTW, I have four cats and three dogs, a few who are shedding thier winter coats,and I don't have this issue, going with light lube.

Lonestar49
April 14, 2008, 01:43 PM

+1.. Exactly, do, as the above post suggest..

What ever ya do, do not look at them under a magnifying lens, cause you're really not gonna like what ya see.. nor ever get them, clean, to perfection.

Ls

Halo
April 14, 2008, 01:51 PM
Another vote for microfiber towels. Microfiber, at the microscopic level, is like millions of little fingers, and they can grab hold of stuff in the tiniest pores and crevices and pull it out. Maybe the little scratch marks aren't in the actual finish, but in the residue left behind after wiping it down.

ZeSpectre
April 14, 2008, 02:27 PM
While I understand that some folks want their guns spotless, I'm often glad that "clean" is good enough for me. I have enough other OCD style behaviors and don't need to add another.

You really want the outside surfaces of your gun clean, try Gunzilla and see what you think.

Fburgtx
April 14, 2008, 02:47 PM
For crying out loud, get another gun cleaning rag or use a clean t-shirt.

P.S. What's the Rockwell hardness of cat hair???

DPris
April 14, 2008, 02:49 PM
I have two Hi-Powers, have had up to three cats at various times (currently have one), and either use or have used Break Free on well over 150 guns.
Never have seen the problems you mention, on those HPs or on any other gun.
I can't imagine the Break Free could combine with the lint fibers (if they are cotton) to create a chemical reaction capable of attacking the bluing on your pistol. If, however, it is, just drop the hankies & try other wipers, as suggested by several.
Or, drop the hankies AND the Break Free & try another quality lube.
As far as the cat hair goes, you're on your own there. :)

Denis

rbernie
April 14, 2008, 02:58 PM
These fibers are leaving little marks where they were stuck all over my gun, Do you treat your lawmower like this? Seriously - these things are tools. They get dirty.

I'm not trying to sound patronizing. I understand the appeal of treating a firearm as some form of metal sculpture. But you can't use a sculpture for much, whereas a firearm has a distinct usage (and failing to use it regularly means that you won't get proficient at using it).

what can I do to get rid of this crap so it doesn't destroy the finish on my gun any further? I suspect that this is not damage to the finish, but simply goombah that's stuck in the oily goo you are slathering on the weapon.

JohnnyOrygun
April 14, 2008, 03:03 PM
Get one of those nice gun wipes that are impregnated with silicone. Those are what I use to wipe down the one blued firearm I have, it works really well.

Also +1 for the microfiber clothes they work really good, I use them for my guns, glasses, and knives (not the same one, no oily streaks on my glasses, thank you ;))

I really recommend the silicon impregnated wipes they really work well for me.
IMHO

CWL
April 14, 2008, 03:47 PM
Does your gun have a polymer/teflon coat that scratches easily?

My guess is that YOU are scratching up the finish from overpolishing. Probably the material of that hanky is the culprit -not cat fur.

Use an old old cotton T-shirt.

Microfiber is good. Lint-free 100% car detailing cloths are also good.

Try using car wax instead on your outside surfaces.

Car Knocker
April 14, 2008, 03:56 PM
Flannel is about $2.99/yard at fabric stores.

shooter1
April 14, 2008, 04:06 PM
I suspect that this is not damage to the finish, but simply goombah that's stuck in the oily goo you are slathering on the weapon.

There we go!! That's what I was trying to get across! Get rid of the damn Break Free!
str1

blackcash88
April 14, 2008, 05:32 PM
Get one of those Mossy Oak or Outers silicon impregnated gun and reel rags. Never had your problem using them over many, many years.

jaydubya
April 14, 2008, 05:57 PM
"Get one of those nice gun wipes that are impregnated with silicone. Those are what I use to wipe down the one blued firearm I have, it works really well."

+1. That is what I use for a final wipedown on my T-series Hi Power, bought in 1967. You can lose yourself in the blueing it is so perfect. I also use that cloth as final wipedown on my 637 and 686+.
Cordially, Jack

plexreticle
April 14, 2008, 06:05 PM
Is this for real?

rcmodel
April 14, 2008, 06:47 PM
Just about anything is better then a dirty handkerchief, or new paper towels!

Cut up your old shorts and under-shirts fer crize sake!
(Wash them first!)

Better yet, you can buy a silicone wiping cloth at Wally-World for next to nothing.
Keep it stored in a zip-lock bag if you don't have a vacuum sweeper, or use one!

And if you are using enough CLP to attract & retain cat hair & belly button lint, you are using way too much CLP on your gun!

rcmodel

Majic
April 15, 2008, 05:58 AM
Sounds as though you are using entirely too much oil. Too much oil will attract lint and dust.

Grunt
April 15, 2008, 07:31 AM
Have you considered having your High-Power encased in carbonite? This method worked out extremely well for Jabba-the-hut to keep any dirt or damage (and I'd assume lint and fiber-free as well) from occuring to his prize Han Solo decoration. Go ahead, give carbonite a try and see if this will work for you too! :evil:

tinygnat219
April 15, 2008, 11:33 AM
Try a microfiber cloth. You won't be disappointed.

tipoc
April 15, 2008, 01:03 PM
Take an old T shirt and cut it into patches use these as rags to wipe down the exterior of your piece.

The exterior of your gun should be dry to the touch when you are done cleaning it.

Don't fuss over it.

tipoc

Steve C
April 15, 2008, 01:08 PM
If you want to wipe your guns down, rather than using an oily rag buy one of the RIG silicone impregnated gun cloths for this purpose. It removes finger prints and coats the piece with a fine layer of rust inhibiting silicone. Oil holds any dust, fibers, etc on the gun.

Funderb
April 15, 2008, 01:08 PM
Don't put so much oil on the thing. It'll be O.K.

XDKingslayer
April 15, 2008, 01:09 PM
hows it not hurting the gun its ruining the finish

Hair and lint is NOT ruining the finish of your gun. You have something else that is causing the scratches. Something harder than the finish.

If it IS the hair, then you have a problem with your finish.

If you enjoyed reading about "help, hair and fibers are destroying the finish on my high power!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!