LUBE for reloading press

PDA

BLUEThunder450
April 14, 2008, 04:29 PM
HELP, I just took my reloading press out of storage and am starting to reload again! However, whilst in storage the press (ramrod or whatever it's called) has became a little tight. It appears that it may have had some kind of grease on it. I cleaned it up and would like to lube it. I can't find the manual that came with the press.

Any suggestions on what kind of lube to use?

If you enjoyed reading about "LUBE for reloading press" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Lazuris
April 14, 2008, 04:43 PM
10/30 motor oil. Just a bit applied with your finger.

Halo
April 14, 2008, 05:06 PM
I recently did the very same thing, and in my case I applied a thin layer of grease to the ram surface. I used Shooter's Choice gun grease, but I'm sure you can use just about any grease or oil you want as long as it's not overdone.

rcmodel
April 14, 2008, 05:15 PM
Any good gun oil.

I've even been known to give mine a spritz of case lube in the middle of a loading session!

Be sure and oil all the linkage & pins too.

rcmodel

BLUEThunder450
April 14, 2008, 05:24 PM
Thanks guys! I figured I could use a thin layer of axle grease or oil but was not sure. I am very anxious to get started again.

WayneConrad
April 14, 2008, 05:42 PM
Gear grease here

Otto
April 14, 2008, 05:46 PM
Most everything except WD-40

wally
April 14, 2008, 05:58 PM
If it sides grease it, if it rotates oil it. Lubrication 101.

Clean things up with a good solvent like auto brake parts cleaner and then lube as above. Motor oil and bearing grease you are likely to have on had already will do fine.

--wally.

ReloaderFred
April 14, 2008, 06:09 PM
Over the last 40+ years of reloading, I've tried every conceivable lubricant for the ram on my reloading presses. The only one I currently use is Rem-Oil.

Thoroughly clean the ram and then apply the oil and work it up and down. That should free it up.

Hope this helps.

Fred

rcmodel
April 14, 2008, 06:12 PM
Since there is no grease Zerk on the cast iron press frame, and it's a pretty tight fit, it's pretty hard to get grease all the way down through it.
About the only good way would be to take the press apart and grease the hole with the ram out.

That's why I prefer oil on the ram.
It eventually seeps it's way down & out the bottom.

rcmodel

BLUEThunder450
April 14, 2008, 06:18 PM
Wally, I love your Lubrication 101 class! That is funny but so true....

Thanks to all for the good advice!

Idano
April 14, 2008, 07:00 PM
Blue,

If it were me I would clean up the ram an linkage with WD-40; it is the best degreaser I know of and then I would use clear RCBS case lube. I use to use oil and lithium grease but I started using RCBS case lube after I got my Hornady AP and the shell plates were coated in a clear grease with the same viscosity as the RCBS case lube.

closetgunnut
April 15, 2008, 12:05 AM
I used some powdered graphite on my Lyman Crusher II.

It's been about a month since I applied it and it's still smooth as a whistle. :)

Closet

SDefender
April 15, 2008, 01:12 PM
My Hornady has grease fittings, so I just use regular automotive chassis grease.

strat81
April 15, 2008, 02:58 PM
Same thing as my guns: NAPA lithium grease and Breakfree CLP.

LotI
April 15, 2008, 03:40 PM
I use gun oil. It's in the same room, lubricates and prevents corrosion.

This discussion reminds me of the motor oil discussions on the car boards...Should I use synthetic or dinosaur oil?:banghead:

The Bushmaster
April 18, 2008, 03:15 PM
Don't it though, LotI....L O L

Clean and oil the dang thing and let's get on with the reloading...

Eric F
April 18, 2008, 04:07 PM
+1 Breakfree

GearHead_1
April 18, 2008, 04:25 PM
If it sides grease it, if it rotates oil it. Lubrication 101.Well, while the crank goes round and round, technically pistons "slide" up and down in the cylinders. That one will bake your noodle. Anyways, clean the ram with some carb cleaner and #0000 steel wool if light corrosion is present and then about any light oil will work. I use a little Mobil 1, just because I have it on hand.

armoredman
April 18, 2008, 05:19 PM
I used Rem Oil on an RCBS Jr press that had not been moved since 1979. After soaking for about 10 minutes, some force was applied, and it moved. I cleaned it up, and oiled the rest of the moving parts, and voila! It was in perfect shape...just in time for me to send it to a new reloader.

If you enjoyed reading about "LUBE for reloading press" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!