Do you have a Concealed Carry Permit?

PDA

crew590
April 15, 2008, 12:47 AM
I was thinking about this earlier today. Out of all the members on THR, how many have a CC permit? You don't have to answer but it would be interesting (to me at least) to see what our numbers are like. Feel free to explain your choice.

I have a been carrying myself since August of last year.

Jay

P.S. Mods, if you feel this is inappropriate/pointless feel free to move/close.

If you enjoyed reading about "Do you have a Concealed Carry Permit?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
fiVe
April 15, 2008, 12:50 AM
I have carried since April 2003. I do so because I am responsible for my and my family's safety.

Radagast
April 15, 2008, 01:07 AM
Not legal in OZ.

Winchester 73
April 15, 2008, 01:08 AM
CCW since December,1989.

sailortoo
April 15, 2008, 01:16 AM
Like Winchester 73, CCW since the late 1980's. It just opens up so many options, particularly if holding more than one permit. :)
sailortoo

Pilgrim
April 15, 2008, 01:34 AM
Two state permits, ID and FL, plus a LEOSA ID.

Pilgrim

misANTHrope
April 15, 2008, 01:38 AM
I'm actually in limbo at the moment- I had a permit when I lived in NC, but now that I've been a TN resident for over six months, I can't use it any more. I sent off my stuff for my TN permit four weeks ago, just waiting for the mailman to leave me a special envelope now.

I figured that qualified as a "yes."

crew590
April 15, 2008, 01:43 AM
That'll work.. I should have added an option for that scenario. Might have to get one of the mods to do it for me.

Jay

FireArmFan
April 15, 2008, 01:47 AM
Well in MN it's called a Permit to Carry, because with the permit you can conceal or open carry, but that is just me being technical. At any rate, yes I have one. I've only been carrying for about 8 months, because I turned 21 in August so I got my permit right after that.

mrreynolds
April 15, 2008, 01:56 AM
To bad I actually reside in NYC & can't carry here :banghead:

Connecticut
Florida
Maine
New Hampshire
Utah
Virginia

Kind of Blued
April 15, 2008, 03:44 AM
Mine is being "processed"... :rolleyes:

qajaq59
April 15, 2008, 05:12 AM
Yup, and I've had one since 1960, and that covers living in 4 different states.

loop
April 15, 2008, 05:18 AM
I'm on my third state with a CCW permit. Good part about the AZ permit is it is for concealed weapons - not limited to firearms.

Scanr
April 15, 2008, 06:07 AM
Nevada and Utah since Oct last year.

Ske1etor
April 15, 2008, 08:29 AM
Well, my application paperwork will be mailed off later today. I just have to get the affidavits notarized, get the money order out of the way and mail the packet!

I took my class this past Sunday. I will vote no, since I do not currently have one.

todd128
April 15, 2008, 08:34 AM
Nebraska since Jan 07

romma
April 15, 2008, 08:35 AM
CT,NH and FL

32winspl
April 15, 2008, 09:02 AM
No I don't. CC isn't legal here in the Great State of Wisconsin. 2 times, the State House and Senate passed a law allowing CC, but our beloved Governor vetoed it both times. The attempts to override his veto failed by one, and two votes of the 2/3 majority required to do so.

Sato Ord
April 15, 2008, 09:07 AM
You left out, "Not yet, but it's in the works!"

jlficken
April 15, 2008, 09:15 AM
I got my permit in Nebraska in Feb of 2007 to try it out and started carrying full time in July. Now when I can't carry I almost feel naked. All of the restrictions in Nebraska are annoying.

ashtxsniper
April 15, 2008, 09:22 AM
Texas since April 07.

aerod1
April 15, 2008, 09:37 AM
Yes, my wife, daughter and I have had our CHL since the first year Texas passed the CHL law in 1996.
I am 64 today and will always have a CHL until I am not able to proficiently and safely hold and use a firearm.

M2 Carbine
April 15, 2008, 09:39 AM
I got mine soon after the law was passed in Texas, don't remember the date.

Guitargod1985
April 15, 2008, 09:43 AM
It's not quite been two years since I got mine. I'm only 22, though. I got mine as soon as I found out there was such a thing.

Bubbles
April 15, 2008, 09:46 AM
Had one since 1998. In fact, just got called yesterday that my renewal is ready to be picked up at the Sheriff's office. I'll pick it up tomorrow morning.

cambeul41
April 15, 2008, 09:47 AM
I have carried for three years now at the suggestion of my formerly hoplophobe wife -- the news out of Detroit changed her mind. She carries as well.

USMC 1975
April 15, 2008, 09:50 AM
I voted no. I have applied here in Florida and am currently awaiting the permit.

But as of today ( haven't checked todays mail yet ) I do not have one. To be honest, until a couple months ago, I never considered even getting one. Then my son-in-law ( a LEO ) and my buddy talked me into carrying.

The crime in the Tampa area can be pretty bad at times. We also travel around the USA a great deal in our motorcoach and it will be nice to have that extra protection.

Chris

uberberzerker
April 15, 2008, 10:02 AM
Just got my carry permit (georgia firearms license) a couple weeks ago. I figured I may as well do it since I have a gun, want to buy more of them, and wouldn't mind carrying whilst traveling through some of the less warm and fuzzy feeling inducing areas of this pollen covered state. :cool:

My wife doesn't care for the fact that I want to carry but I think she is willing to not make a big deal of it, especially since one of our last trips to the local mall. We had come out the wrong doors of a large store, after closing time, and were on the wrong side of the mall from where our car was. We had to walk a bit and go around the store to get to our car when two teenagers were coming around the other way. My wife was startled, it was dark, and they kinda came around the corner in a way which made it seem they were up to something....she grabbed her purse tightly and my arm as well. I asked her what the problem was and she said that she thought they were going to grab her purse (a large almost duffel bag sized thing!!) I told her, if I had a concealed carry weapon you wouldn't have to be so worried about that kinda thing. ;)

poker88
April 15, 2008, 10:05 AM
Yep, since Feb '08. <g> I'm a newbie.

LiquidTension
April 15, 2008, 10:07 AM
Yep, had one since 1/02. Nice thing is that when I moved, they issued me a new permit with a new expiration date so I basically got a free renewal.

crew590
April 15, 2008, 11:40 AM
You left out, "Not yet, but it's in the works!"

Yeah I know. I asked Justin to add the option for me this morning, so it's there now. Sorry for any inconvenience. I get a bit scatter-brained late at night. :o

Yep, since Feb '08. I'm a newbie.

Well, we all started somewhere. Besides, you're one more person who has taken responsibility for your own protection. Counts for something in my book anyway. :)

Jay

Essex County
April 15, 2008, 01:52 PM
I don't need one in in my home state, but I have one in my neighboring state. Can anyone guess where I live?........Essex

md7
April 15, 2008, 02:05 PM
Mississippi, since 06.

blkbrd666
April 15, 2008, 02:19 PM
No, I just carry my car everywhere I go.

Jdude
April 15, 2008, 02:23 PM
I only open carry.

Tropical Buzz
April 15, 2008, 04:59 PM
Here in St. Lucia, all firearms require a permit and ALL handgun permits are for concealed carry except for special permits for sporting firearms which allow you to transport that gun to a firing range and require you to be a member of a recognised shooting association. With a regular handgun permit you are required to keep the gun concealed on your person and in your control at all times otherwise it must be securely stored. You are warned not to leave your gun in a vehicle because of the risk of it being stolen. If you own land greater than an acre in size, you can obtain an estate license for a shotgun. Licences are not easy to obtain as you must prove you have a valid reason for needing a gun before a permit will be granted.

mtnmedic11
April 15, 2008, 05:03 PM
Massachusetts...wow, New Hampshire and of course Vermont doesnt require one.

hso
April 15, 2008, 05:04 PM
I've had a permit for almost as long as they've been issued here in ET.

OTOH, you may find that the state laws are illogical enough (go figure) on handgun carry that some folks would rather face the state misdemeanor charge for carry without a permit than the felony charge and eternal revocation of their carry rights resulting from carrying where state law doesn't allow.

BacSi67
April 15, 2008, 05:15 PM
Have a FL CCP, but not recognized in NYS or NJ (where I live).

The Unknown User
April 15, 2008, 05:28 PM
Ask me on the 13th, when I turn 21. :D

SeanMTX
April 15, 2008, 05:39 PM
I took my class on Sat here in Dallas....where are you Jim??

Sent the paperwork off yesterday, I'm sure it's a long wait.

Winchester 73
April 15, 2008, 05:40 PM
I don't need one in in my home state, but I have one in my neighboring state. Can anyone guess where I live?........Essex

Could it possibly be my beloved birth state(Hackensack Hospital)New Jersey?:)

Valkman
April 15, 2008, 05:53 PM
Yes. I had a permit in Vegas but it expired while I was ill and we moved to Pahrump in Nye Co. I took the class here, turned in the paperwork and got the permit 10 days later. I have Florida paperwork coming and may get the Utah one also.

Feels good to carry again!

crew590
April 15, 2008, 05:55 PM

If I'm not mistaken you're in/from California. I have been known to be wrong before though. :)

OTOH, you may find that the state laws are illogical enough (go figure) on handgun carry that some folks would rather face the state misdemeanor charge for carry without a permit than the felony charge and eternal revocation of their carry rights resulting from carrying where state law doesn't allow.

That's just messed up that you have to be afraid enough of losing your right to carry that you carry illegally. Does that make sense to anyone else?

Jay

Ala Dan
April 15, 2008, 07:05 PM
Jefferson County, ALABAMA~! :eek: ;)

*Since 1968 (Oops, that is 40 years); at $7.50 @ year. But that would be for only
39 of those years; as we had a crazy sheriff that got elected, and one year I had
to pay $20.00. Even tho', I had a police commission and did not need a license; I
kept one anyway, just in case I needed to C.M.O.A~!

Hk91-762mm
April 15, 2008, 07:31 PM
I have a NYstinking state CCW!
But I have never carried -====Im afraid that if Im ever stoped by a cop The Judge will find out and revoke my permit.
[Note] I just had so much trouble trying to place my dads pistols on my permit -I threw up my hands and sent the guns to my Bro, in AL where they will remain untill I move to KENTUCKY And reclaim them !!!!

fearless leader
April 15, 2008, 09:37 PM
I've had one since, I believe, 1985.

Serial Fan
April 15, 2008, 09:39 PM
I have permits for two states.

NG VI
April 15, 2008, 09:44 PM
I got mine (finally) in March! I love having it, it feels good having a Glock in my armrest, and I enjoy carrying when my pistol isn't getting in the way or pinching my parts.

Alexfubar
April 15, 2008, 09:46 PM
Mass. LTC & New Hampshire non-res. Good in 8 or 9 states. FLA. & Texas Non-res next....

Stevie-Ray
April 15, 2008, 10:18 PM
Yes, since Michigan went shall issue.

Griff
April 15, 2008, 10:36 PM
Yes, wife and I both. We consider arming ourselves for all sorts of unseen problems to be part of being responsible adults and parents.

Rugerlvr
April 15, 2008, 10:38 PM
Whoa. I'm in a serious minority. :(

I keep on meaning to...

swan hunter
April 15, 2008, 10:42 PM
Live in Freakin IL!!!!:mad:

My wife & I are NRA basic pistol instructors and just finished a couple of classes and will be ushering in another 21 Florida permit holders! Makes us PROUD!!!:D

Gary G23
April 15, 2008, 10:43 PM
Ky & Fl

mccook8
April 15, 2008, 10:46 PM
No permit per se, just LEOSA, which counts in all 50 states.

Dave R
April 15, 2008, 10:51 PM
You bet. And one of the best things about a CCW permit in Idaho is--you can walk into a gun store, pick what you want, pay your money and take it home RIGHT THEN, just like in the good old days.

Permit holders in Idaho don't need an NICS phone call. Just put permit number on the 4473, and away you go.

That, alone, is a great reason to have one.

Tamlin
April 15, 2008, 11:56 PM
Got mine in AZ in 2001. Unfortunately, I will be moving to CA in 2009. :cuss:

hunterSthompson
April 15, 2008, 11:59 PM
yep NC since 2007

AZ_Rebel
April 16, 2008, 12:00 AM
AZ permit since 1998... started carrying in 1958.

arflattop
April 16, 2008, 12:26 AM
CCW since 2005. Figured it was my responsibility.

springmom
April 16, 2008, 12:46 AM
I do. I took the class the weekend Katrina hit NOLA. We had lived in Houston 1991-1993 and then had to move back in 2003 following DH's job. Prior to that we'd lived in a suburb of Austin (Williamson county) and before that a little
"small town Texas" place a bit northeast of there. Didn't even always lock the door when I left....and moving back here was a real eye opener. When I realized that the LOCAL nightly news reminded me eerily of war coverage, and took stock of how unprepared I really was to face people like I was hearing about, I decided to get my permit.

It was not an easy decision. I was concerned that it would change me to carry a gun all the time. It has. I am more confident, less fearful, less anxious. I don't worry when my DH has to go out of town on business. I practice regularly, because ISTM that it's encumbent upon a CHL holder to be the best they can in the event that the worst should happen and I have to use it. What I didn't really expect was the discovery of the #1 most fun hobby I've ever had, and a talent for rifle shooting (at least at 100 yards for paper).

My DH carries, and I'm glad he does; we have each others' backs. But I carry to protect myself and my family on my own. /rather wordy response. :o

Springmom

BBroadside
April 16, 2008, 12:56 AM
I don't have one, and I'm not going to bother applying until I move away from Massachusetts. The area I live in is half beautiful rural America, half small towns whose personal warmth cuts right through the bitter New England cold ...
but politically the state is still Boston, more or less.
:(
I'll be in a nice pro-liberty state by the end of summer.
:neener:
I plan to take the personal protection classes at the gun range and get myself a CCW. I doubt I'll ever use it - the responsibility is too great and I'm too scatter-brained - but I believe in it. As long as there are leftists telling each other "licensed concealed carry is a threat to public safety" I feel duty-bound to get licensed.

Autolycus
April 16, 2008, 01:28 AM
Not legal here but when I move in a year that will change.

crew590
April 16, 2008, 02:17 AM
My DH carries, and I'm glad he does; we have each others' backs. But I carry to protect myself and my family on my own. /rather wordy response.

That's what I love to hear. It's a great thing that people trust each other like yourself and DH, but are still willing to take on their own responsibility when it comes to self defense. Don't worry about the length, it's good to hear (read) such an in-depth response.

I plan to take the personal protection classes at the gun range and get myself a CCW. I doubt I'll ever use it - the responsibility is too great and I'm too scatter-brained - but I believe in it.

I would normally recommend that if you have a permit that you carry whenever possible, but you know yourself better then I do. If you chose not to carry, I won't berate you for that choice. It's a decision everyone of us to make on their own. (Sorry if that sounds too preachy, it's late and probably sounded better in my head :))

As long as there are leftists telling each other "licensed concealed carry is a threat to public safety" I feel duty-bound to get licensed.

+1 to that.

Jay

starshooter231
April 16, 2008, 02:42 AM
Yes I have had my CPL since 2006. I have carried almost every day since I picked it up.

BBroadside
April 16, 2008, 03:35 AM
crew590 wrote: "I would normally recommend that if you have a permit that you carry whenever possible, but you know yourself better then I do. If you chose not to carry, I won't berate you for that choice. It's a decision everyone of us to make on their own. (Sorry if that sounds too preachy, it's late and probably sounded better in my head )"

Naw, it's not preachy. You're right, and I have often told myself I WILL BE LESS SCATTERBRAINED. Sometimes it works! It's all about the constant thoughtfulness. Who am I sweeping with this barrel? Is my hammer up or down? Am I planning today to go to any establishment where concealed carry is banned? (I once left a nice pocket knife on a parking meter in front of the courthouse when I went to pay a traffic ticket. Only later I learned you DON'T get arrested if you hand them your "deadly weapon", only if you try to sneak it in. Scatter-brained, I tell you! My Kershaw was gone when I came out again.)

Maybe I will feel differently after I take the firearms courses.

If you enjoyed reading about "Do you have a Concealed Carry Permit?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!